Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Les says we are a selling club.... 13:58 - Aug 3 with 5913 viewsconnell10

.....and the fans will have to get used to it! Good read in the Evening Standard.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Les says we are a selling club.... on 23:25 - Aug 5 with 1329 viewsPunteR

Les says we are a selling club.... on 17:54 - Aug 3 by distortR

yeah, but apart from Chair, Manning, Scowen, Luongo, Osayi Samuel, Eze, Hall, Cousins, Smyth and Wszolek, who have we got who can play in midfield if Freeman goes?

Even though we were a selling club back in the 90s we made sure we played good football first and had a good team in the top division. We could justify selling our best players, although selling Sir Les was a disaster for us and a good reminder that selling your best player isnt always the best thing to do..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Les says we are a selling club.... on 01:57 - Aug 6 with 1253 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Les says we are a selling club.... on 23:25 - Aug 5 by PunteR

Even though we were a selling club back in the 90s we made sure we played good football first and had a good team in the top division. We could justify selling our best players, although selling Sir Les was a disaster for us and a good reminder that selling your best player isnt always the best thing to do..

I don’t think it was the selling of Les that was the problem - after all, the club had a strong indication that he was looking to move on many months before - rather, it was more due to how we went about spending the money once he’d gone.

Basically, Wilkins/QPR made a complete and utter pig’s breakfast of it. Thankfully though, as a club we learned the lesson and never displayed such stupidity nor ever made such crass errors in the transfer market ever again. Never, not once!!
[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 5:59]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Les says we are a selling club.... on 13:16 - Aug 6 with 1097 viewsMyke

Les says we are a selling club.... on 17:30 - Aug 3 by Northernr

Does this count has your first ridiculous panic of the season?

We've just turned down a bid for Freeman.

We have Chair, Manning, Scowen, Luongo, Osayi Samuel, Eze, Hall, Cousins, Smyth and Wszolek all trying to get into five places in the team as well as Freeman.

This post has been edited by an administrator

looking a bit sparse on mid-fielders - probably explains our alleged interest in Gardner
Les says we are a selling club.... on 14:17 - Aug 6 with 1051 viewsEsox_Lucius

Not just selling... another keeper has departed.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45063179

The grass is always greener.

Les says we are a selling club.... on 17:30 - Aug 6 with 983 viewsGroveR

Les says we are a selling club.... on 01:57 - Aug 6 by PlanetHonneywood

I don’t think it was the selling of Les that was the problem - after all, the club had a strong indication that he was looking to move on many months before - rather, it was more due to how we went about spending the money once he’d gone.

Basically, Wilkins/QPR made a complete and utter pig’s breakfast of it. Thankfully though, as a club we learned the lesson and never displayed such stupidity nor ever made such crass errors in the transfer market ever again. Never, not once!!
[Post edited 6 Aug 2018 5:59]

I've always looked at Les to Newcastle much as Clive described the Smithies move - right deal (for Les) at the wrong price.

£6m looked a good fee at the time especially as they had just sold Cole to Man Utd for a record £7m but then you see Collymore going for £8.5m in the same window and wonder. Maybe we thought we'd screwed as much out of the Geordies as we could (85% of the Cole money) but again, you see them bring in Shearer the following summer for £15m and wonder. Apparently besides Newcastle, Man Utd and Arsenal (who signed Bergkamp for £7.5m in the same window) were both interested so there was competition there.

Newcastle selling Les to Spurs 2 years later for the same £6m we got for him always makes me think that despite the handsome fee, when you look at it in terms of value, we got a bit dipped.

And don't get me started on the brutal anal fisting West Ham administered while acquiring Tricky Trev .
Les says we are a selling club.... on 19:06 - Aug 6 with 903 viewsTacticalR

Les says we are a selling club.... on 17:30 - Aug 6 by GroveR

I've always looked at Les to Newcastle much as Clive described the Smithies move - right deal (for Les) at the wrong price.

£6m looked a good fee at the time especially as they had just sold Cole to Man Utd for a record £7m but then you see Collymore going for £8.5m in the same window and wonder. Maybe we thought we'd screwed as much out of the Geordies as we could (85% of the Cole money) but again, you see them bring in Shearer the following summer for £15m and wonder. Apparently besides Newcastle, Man Utd and Arsenal (who signed Bergkamp for £7.5m in the same window) were both interested so there was competition there.

Newcastle selling Les to Spurs 2 years later for the same £6m we got for him always makes me think that despite the handsome fee, when you look at it in terms of value, we got a bit dipped.

And don't get me started on the brutal anal fisting West Ham administered while acquiring Tricky Trev .

Great bit of business that saw us laughing all the way to the third tier of English football.

Air hostess clique

Les says we are a selling club.... on 19:36 - Aug 6 with 844 viewsBrianMcCarthy

As I recall we didn't negotiate with Newcastle or anyone? We put a £6m tag on Les and both Villa and Newcastle met our asking price. Les chose Newcastle.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Les says we are a selling club.... on 19:41 - Aug 6 with 841 viewsHunterhoop

The Sinclair deal is the worst bit of transfer business the club has ever done. Utterly unfathomable.
Login to get fewer ads

Les says we are a selling club.... on 19:58 - Aug 6 with 818 viewsGroveR

Les says we are a selling club.... on 19:36 - Aug 6 by BrianMcCarthy

As I recall we didn't negotiate with Newcastle or anyone? We put a £6m tag on Les and both Villa and Newcastle met our asking price. Les chose Newcastle.

Didn't realise that was the case but if so I'd be interested (and will unlikely ever know) how we arrived at £6m
Les says we are a selling club.... on 20:04 - Aug 6 with 812 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Les says we are a selling club.... on 19:58 - Aug 6 by GroveR

Didn't realise that was the case but if so I'd be interested (and will unlikely ever know) how we arrived at £6m

That's just how I remember it, GroveR - I could well be wrong to be fair.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Les says we are a selling club.... on 20:14 - Aug 6 with 794 viewsGroveR

Les says we are a selling club.... on 20:04 - Aug 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Full points to your memory sir.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/villa-in-for-ferdinand-1584858.html
Les says we are a selling club.... on 20:15 - Aug 6 with 790 viewslave16

Les says we are a selling club.... on 20:04 - Aug 6 by BrianMcCarthy

I may be wrong but as I remember we signed an old mark hateley to replace him - for 1.5 million and he was injured we rehabbed him and sold him back to rangers for 300k smashing piece of business

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Les says we are a selling club.... on 20:32 - Aug 6 with 768 viewsthorpebankR

Les says we are a selling club.... on 20:15 - Aug 6 by lave16

I may be wrong but as I remember we signed an old mark hateley to replace him - for 1.5 million and he was injured we rehabbed him and sold him back to rangers for 300k smashing piece of business

Hateley hobbled onto the pitch as sub when he made his debut for us.... cheeky prick gave it the biggun when he scored against Swindon the following season after relegation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024