Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Staying in the Borough 21:10 - Nov 14 with 18586 viewsNW10Hoop

We make a big deal about any new ground being as close to Loftus Road as possible. But if the only realistic option in the borough and more specifically W12 is Scrubs, should we start getting our head around moving further? Would opening the search out to the boroughs of Brent, Ealing and Hillingdon be a complete no no? Just thinking there’d be more choice, possibly cheaper land, and if you show you’re prepared to move, maybe Hammersmith and Fulham will re-evaluate our standing given all the great community work QPR are responsible for.

I have long been priced out of raising a family in Shepherds Bush, I guess many of you have too. It’s a far different place than it was 20 years ago. Would it be terrible if the club looked west in the way loads people who grew up in Shepherds Bush already have?

Just wondering really, and interested to know everyone’s thoughts

Edit - I’d obviously want the team to remain in what I see as QPR territory, but being half a mile away from current HQ wouldn’t be the only selling point to me. For example If it were 3 miles up the road but near good transport links loads of nice boozers and we could build a stadium exactly to our liking - that would probably feel like a better option than the Linford Christie site to me.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 21:24]
Staying in the Borough on 21:24 - Nov 14 with 8128 viewssmegma

Don't you think the owners have looked in those areas already ??? I know for a fact Chris Wright certainly looked in the M4/M40 corridor 20 years ago. There was talk of us moving into Wasps HQ in Sudbury Town/ Wembley area which pleased me at the time as I bought my house a mile up the road around the same time. If we move to the scrubs it would be a disaster. Our ground may be crap but it's OUR HOME.
Staying in the Borough on 22:29 - Nov 14 with 8030 viewsNW10Hoop

Staying in the Borough on 21:24 - Nov 14 by smegma

Don't you think the owners have looked in those areas already ??? I know for a fact Chris Wright certainly looked in the M4/M40 corridor 20 years ago. There was talk of us moving into Wasps HQ in Sudbury Town/ Wembley area which pleased me at the time as I bought my house a mile up the road around the same time. If we move to the scrubs it would be a disaster. Our ground may be crap but it's OUR HOME.

Yeah, I'm sure it was explored over the years. What was viable then may not be now, and versa.

If Stoke or Bolton or Newcastle wanted to move their stadium, I guess the whole of their city would be fair game to move within. QPR's situation just feels so tricky - very small area that fans would allow us to move within, but many of QPR's fans have long moved away from the Bush.
Staying in the Borough on 23:55 - Nov 14 with 7954 viewswombat

Staying in the Borough on 22:29 - Nov 14 by NW10Hoop

Yeah, I'm sure it was explored over the years. What was viable then may not be now, and versa.

If Stoke or Bolton or Newcastle wanted to move their stadium, I guess the whole of their city would be fair game to move within. QPR's situation just feels so tricky - very small area that fans would allow us to move within, but many of QPR's fans have long moved away from the Bush.

They had plenty of options to stay local they didn’t take them up.
Linford Christie won’t be a great place for a multi use stadium slightly better than the original car giant site though , Dairy crest of the old bbc were ideal for all there plans but wasn’t considered for a second I believe by the club , so let’s see what else is left and build it there

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Staying in the Borough on 00:52 - Nov 15 with 7921 viewsPunteR

Just curious, but why couldnt we have the stadium on WF?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Staying in the Borough on 07:25 - Nov 15 with 7815 viewsCiderwithRsie

I'd understand if the club decided that the only practical thing was to move further out.

But actually the fact that the Paddington/Bush/Notting Hill area has changed so much is just why I'd like us to still be there, a reminder of the working class roots of the place (and flooding it out with exiled Rs every other week.) Going back is like the pilgrimage to Mecca or the family farm or something.
Staying in the Borough on 07:43 - Nov 15 with 7809 viewshubble

Take the ground away from its roots and it loses its meaning. QPR becomes just another franchise. That's the way I see it. Personally I think the Linford Christie stadium is a good alternative to LR.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Staying in the Borough on 08:47 - Nov 15 with 7738 viewspaulparker

Chris Wright massively c0cked up a lot of things but not as much as passing up the land behind the school end, we could of had it cheap compared to today’s inflated prices and we could have developed the stadium without ever having to move

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Staying in the Borough on 09:32 - Nov 15 with 7703 viewscolinallcars

Staying in the Borough on 08:47 - Nov 15 by paulparker

Chris Wright massively c0cked up a lot of things but not as much as passing up the land behind the school end, we could of had it cheap compared to today’s inflated prices and we could have developed the stadium without ever having to move

If the School End had been redeveloped, I imagine that would have become the home end leaving three sides of the ground still cramped. I imagine any hospitality facilities would have been incorporated into the School End.
Reading the Friends of Wormwood Scrubs article, it looks like we will be in for a fight to tryto relocate to LCS. Who knows where we'll end up.
Login to get fewer ads

Staying in the Borough on 09:41 - Nov 15 with 7687 viewsEsox_Lucius

In relation to the OP there is an eminently suitable area of land right opposite the Polish War Memorial. It is currently occupied by the C&L Country Club and The West London Shooting School. All housing is to the South of the Shooting Grounds and some widening of West End Road would provide excellent access to the Western Avenue/ M40.
It is close to QPR heartland in the Ruislip/ Northolt area and about a 15-20 minute walk from either Ruislip Gardens or South Ruislip Station which is about the same as the distance to LR from the Shepherds Bush stations.

The grass is always greener.

Staying in the Borough on 09:45 - Nov 15 with 7677 viewsMick_S

We'll have to take this lot on for the Scrubs land:

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Staying in the Borough on 09:47 - Nov 15 with 7673 viewsCamberleyR

Staying in the Borough on 08:47 - Nov 15 by paulparker

I've sometimes thought about this and if we had bought it how it could have been developed and what capacity we could have achieved.

1. Knock the School End & Loft down and shift the pitch further towards Bloemfontein Rd?
2. This of course would have necessitated knocking down SAR and ER and rebuilding them
3. Building two new large double decker stands behind the goals like they did at Portman Rd

Assuming the two stands behind the goal could have been built to 7-7.5k capacity that would have given 14-15k. The footprints that SAR and ER sit on are small and even rebuilding them 20 years ago they wouldn't have been massive given modern leg room requirements etc Not sure we could have squeezed more than about 6k combined capacity for both sides which would have given us a stadium capacity not much bigger than now.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2018 9:56]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Staying in the Borough on 10:20 - Nov 15 with 7614 viewsGloucs_R

Park Royal is one of the alternatives we have looked at. There are a couple of locations we could develop but its souless without many transport links. Its also in the LB Brent / Ealing and we seem to have good links to the latter.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Staying in the Borough on 10:25 - Nov 15 with 7605 viewsDavieQPR

Staying in the Borough on 00:52 - Nov 15 by PunteR

The BBC site sold for £87m and the Westfield site is much larger.
Staying in the Borough on 10:36 - Nov 15 with 7585 viewsTonto

Given that the history of this club is having the most grounds of any British club, this talk of "roots in W12" is a bit of a dichotomy... Queens Park isn't in W12 either! It only recent history that has seen us in W12.

For me its about ease of access by public transport (preferably tube). that decreases the further away from the centre of London you go.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Staying in the Borough on 10:44 - Nov 15 with 7578 viewsMick_S

Staying in the Borough on 09:41 - Nov 15 by Esox_Lucius

In relation to the OP there is an eminently suitable area of land right opposite the Polish War Memorial. It is currently occupied by the C&L Country Club and The West London Shooting School. All housing is to the South of the Shooting Grounds and some widening of West End Road would provide excellent access to the Western Avenue/ M40.
It is close to QPR heartland in the Ruislip/ Northolt area and about a 15-20 minute walk from either Ruislip Gardens or South Ruislip Station which is about the same as the distance to LR from the Shepherds Bush stations.

Esox - the land you mention; is it separate from the new golf course being built there?

Staying in the Borough on 11:15 - Nov 15 with 7525 viewsDannyPaddox

Staying in the Borough on 10:36 - Nov 15 by Tonto

Given that the history of this club is having the most grounds of any British club, this talk of "roots in W12" is a bit of a dichotomy... Queens Park isn't in W12 either! It only recent history that has seen us in W12.

For me its about ease of access by public transport (preferably tube). that decreases the further away from the centre of London you go.

"It only recent history that has seen us in W12."

We've been at Loftus Road since 1917. That's 101 years of recent history. Two brief interludes at White City (same postcode) means we've been in W12 for over a century.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2018 11:48]
Staying in the Borough on 11:17 - Nov 15 with 7521 viewsSnipper

Staying in the Borough on 21:24 - Nov 14 by smegma

Why would the LCS be a disaster Chris?

Up the M4/M40 corridor would’ve been ideal though.
Staying in the Borough on 11:21 - Nov 15 with 7512 viewscolinallcars

I would have thought LCS would be ideal. Decent transport, still in the borough, nice location, not too far aay from the pubs and shops of the Bush, a large pub ( the Pavilion ) close by.
Staying in the Borough on 11:39 - Nov 15 with 7476 viewsBoston

Brentford S/T holder.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Staying in the Borough on 12:00 - Nov 15 with 7435 viewssmegma

Staying in the Borough on 10:36 - Nov 15 by Tonto

But we've been in W12 for a century which is about 70% of our existence.
Staying in the Borough on 12:01 - Nov 15 with 7433 viewssmegma

And how would anyone get there ???
Staying in the Borough on 12:30 - Nov 15 with 7375 viewsBuckR

Pretty sure Ruislip Golf Club is closing down due to HS2 going through it. Always thought we should have jumped on that and relocated there. Massive Rangers hotbed and right outside West Ruislip station
Staying in the Borough on 12:42 - Nov 15 with 7347 viewssmegma

Staying in the Borough on 12:30 - Nov 15 by BuckR

Pretty sure Ruislip Golf Club is closing down due to HS2 going through it. Always thought we should have jumped on that and relocated there. Massive Rangers hotbed and right outside West Ruislip station

And then the government would have compulsorily purchased it
Staying in the Borough on 12:49 - Nov 15 with 7318 viewsMick_S

Staying in the Borough on 12:30 - Nov 15 by BuckR

Hillingdon's council leader has been quoted as saying that both Ruislip and Uxbridge golf clubs have had it due to hs2. Despite this t-shirt

it could sustain a football club food and drink wise, although I'm not too keen on the idea.

Staying in the Borough on 13:00 - Nov 15 with 7288 viewsolderR

Staying in the Borough on 09:41 - Nov 15 by Esox_Lucius

Is that where we had a training ground and I use to go and watch the youth team games around 1970?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024