Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
var 23:53 - Jan 8 with 4576 viewsdigswellhoop

if we have this it has got to be in every game not just thw top leauges .and tonight it was not neded .
if it becomes standard then we dont need refs or linesmans
var on 23:58 - Jan 8 with 3014 viewsSydneyRs

I thought after a dodgy start at the world cup (the Australia penalty awarded against Denmark was scandalous) it ended up working very well.

I wonder how many league titles Liverpool would have if it existed in the 70s and 80s and the kop weren't able to award penalties at will?
var on 00:14 - Jan 9 with 2991 viewsbob566

Worked well tonight. 93 seconds to confirm onside, penalty and yellow card
var (n/t) on 04:52 - Jan 9 with 2924 viewsLoftgirl

[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 4:53]
var on 07:15 - Jan 9 with 2873 viewstraininvain

var on 00:14 - Jan 9 by bob566

Worked well tonight. 93 seconds to confirm onside, penalty and yellow card

Agreed. It got the right decision pretty quickly. And perhaps more importantly, it resulted in the scum losing!
var on 07:27 - Jan 9 with 2862 viewskingsburyR

Has a massive dive from Kane mind.

The darling of English footie is getting a bit of a rep for it now.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

var on 08:52 - Jan 9 with 2779 viewsNorthernr

Changes the game though doesn't it? When Bidwell went over on Saturday I didn't celebrate the award of the penalty as I usually would because you're just waiting for somebody in the stand to say it was a dive. Similarly with his goal, it's a goal but is it? You're just holding back slightly in case there's a push been spotted or something.

Still not a fan really.
var on 09:07 - Jan 9 with 2767 viewskingsburyR

var on 08:52 - Jan 9 by Northernr

Changes the game though doesn't it? When Bidwell went over on Saturday I didn't celebrate the award of the penalty as I usually would because you're just waiting for somebody in the stand to say it was a dive. Similarly with his goal, it's a goal but is it? You're just holding back slightly in case there's a push been spotted or something.

Still not a fan really.

I am massively anti-VAR.

Football is the peoples game. The professional game mirrored the jumpers for goal posts in the park version.

Its a ball, players and a goal.

Fu(k technology. I like moaning about dodgy decisions, I like moaning about the performance of the ref. I like we stil talk about the hand of god (even if it didn't go our way).

And if they are going to use VAR, use it to ban all the divers. The game is a sh!tter for this modern phenomenon.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

var on 09:40 - Jan 9 with 2725 viewsstevec

var on 08:52 - Jan 9 by Northernr

Still not a fan really.

Totally agree.

Pointless technology that rips the thrill out of football. And do we even need it? I’m trying to think of wrong decisions that have cost us this season, maybe a point at Leeds but I’m struggling to think of any other. No doubt there’s the odd close offside but I’m sure these balance out over a season.

No doubt the next game will throw this back in my face but seen enough of it to convince me it’s a rank bad idea.
Login to get fewer ads

var on 09:46 - Jan 9 with 2721 viewsPapillon

Sorry if it's a bit off-topic but I thought laws were already in place for retrospective action on serious foul play? So why can't VAR be used for that e.g. the recent injuries caused to Cameron and Lumley? That dirty Leeds player tore Cameron's ankle ligaments and he'll be out for weeks (if not months). Both fouls were arguably straight reds as they clearly kept their boots in deliberately.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 9:59]
var on 09:47 - Jan 9 with 2719 viewsdaveB

I don't see the harm in trying it but think it's odd they are only doing it in some games not all of them in the FA Cup. I've no idea if it was used or not in the QPR game.

Was evident though how shit the english refs were with it at the weekend, that Burnley penalty was a farce, ref should have just picked the ball up and waited rather than let him start his run up for the penalty
var on 09:48 - Jan 9 with 2715 viewsNorthernr

var on 09:47 - Jan 9 by daveB

I don't see the harm in trying it but think it's odd they are only doing it in some games not all of them in the FA Cup. I've no idea if it was used or not in the QPR game.

Was evident though how shit the english refs were with it at the weekend, that Burnley penalty was a farce, ref should have just picked the ball up and waited rather than let him start his run up for the penalty

As far as I was aware it was in use at every third round game. Grimsby got a man sent off after a minute at Palace after a VAR review - referee had initially shown a yellow.
var on 09:51 - Jan 9 with 2708 viewsLongsufferingR

Always been against, and I'll again use the example of the last minute at Wembley 2014. Think back to your reactions as the goal went in and for the following five minutes. Now imagine there was a barely noticeable handball in the build up which needs checking, and whatever the outcome, it would have completely ruined the best individual moment of all of our footballing lives.

Regarding the OP, I agree 100%. If it's going to be used in a competition, it has to be used in ALL games in that competition. How unfair is it that Grimsby now have to do without a player for three games because VAR decided his tackle was worthy of a red even though the ref didn't, while other similar tackles in other games without VAR are either yellow cards or just a free kick.
var on 09:51 - Jan 9 with 2708 viewsdaveB

var on 09:48 - Jan 9 by Northernr

As far as I was aware it was in use at every third round game. Grimsby got a man sent off after a minute at Palace after a VAR review - referee had initially shown a yellow.

Was only in place during 9 games and only at premier league grounds

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/dec/19/fa-cup-third-round-var-191218
var on 09:54 - Jan 9 with 2702 viewsGloryHunter

Might have kept us in the Prem - viz Clint's disallowed goal at Bolton.
var on 09:55 - Jan 9 with 2697 viewsNorthernr

var on 09:54 - Jan 9 by GloryHunter

Well that's covered by the goal line tech, which is already in, and works instantly and perfectly.
var on 09:56 - Jan 9 with 2696 viewsNorthernr

var on 09:51 - Jan 9 by daveB

Was only in place during 9 games and only at premier league grounds

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/dec/19/fa-cup-third-round-var-191218

Ah ok, point still stands though as I thought it was in place and it changed how I reacted to both our goal incidents.
var on 09:57 - Jan 9 with 2695 viewsdaveB

var on 09:51 - Jan 9 by LongsufferingR

Always been against, and I'll again use the example of the last minute at Wembley 2014. Think back to your reactions as the goal went in and for the following five minutes. Now imagine there was a barely noticeable handball in the build up which needs checking, and whatever the outcome, it would have completely ruined the best individual moment of all of our footballing lives.

Regarding the OP, I agree 100%. If it's going to be used in a competition, it has to be used in ALL games in that competition. How unfair is it that Grimsby now have to do without a player for three games because VAR decided his tackle was worthy of a red even though the ref didn't, while other similar tackles in other games without VAR are either yellow cards or just a free kick.

There wasn't a handball in the buildup though so would have made no difference.

I thought the same as you on goals but it didn't seem to have that impact during the world cup celebrating England goals. I think it's worth trialing for a season as a lot of the problems will only be found and fixed when it goes live
var on 09:57 - Jan 9 with 2693 viewssmegma

Goal lne technology YES. VAR no thanks
var on 10:00 - Jan 9 with 2687 viewsToast_R

On the basis that's is going ahead now, one further change I'd like to see come in- players surrounding the ref arguing after a decision has been made by a VAR review, should result in every one of them dicks getting yellow carded instantly.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 10:01]
var on 10:03 - Jan 9 with 2676 viewsToast_R

What about VAR similar to they way it works in Tennis?A team can only ask for 3 VAR reviews per match?
var on 10:04 - Jan 9 with 2674 viewsNorthernr

Was watching Juventus Sampdoria the other week, 2-1 to Juve going into injury time and this Sampdoria lad pulls an incredible goal out of the bag - 20 yarder, curled into the top corner, absolute worldie to make it 2-2 with basically the last kick. He goes absolutely mental, jumping into the crowd behind the goal, away end going crazy. Great scenes.

VAR tells the referee he's got to come and look at something.

Replay shows that when a tackle (and it was a tackle) was made in the build up on the far side of the pitch the Sampdoria player just got a foot on the ball first, and it moved about two inches forward before hitting the Juventus player involved and bouncing the other way. The goalscorer then collected the ball and popped it in. They ruled that because the ball had gone forward in the tackle, and that the goalscorer had been half a yard offside when it did so, that because it then bounced back to him off a Juventus player he was offside.

Goal disallowed and Juventus won.

It was one of the most scandalous things I've ever seen in football. This idea that VAR will clear up controversy, there will be no argument, etc etc is nonsense. It will just create new ones, and in many cases worse ones.

Poor quality clip below...

This post has been edited by an administrator
var on 10:06 - Jan 9 with 2668 viewsdaveB

var on 10:03 - Jan 9 by Toast_R

What about VAR similar to they way it works in Tennis?A team can only ask for 3 VAR reviews per match?

I do think that would work a lot better, could be the captain making an appeal or an analyst in the stand
var on 10:17 - Jan 9 with 2638 viewsLongsufferingR

var on 09:57 - Jan 9 by daveB

There wasn't a handball in the buildup though so would have made no difference.

I thought the same as you on goals but it didn't seem to have that impact during the world cup celebrating England goals. I think it's worth trialing for a season as a lot of the problems will only be found and fixed when it goes live

Please see Clive's example above for a live example of exactly the sort of situation I was referring to.
var on 11:03 - Jan 9 with 2572 viewsW7Ranger

var on 09:54 - Jan 9 by GloryHunter

That was the season we stayed up...

And Bolton went down.
var on 11:10 - Jan 9 with 2565 viewsW7Ranger

var on 10:04 - Jan 9 by Northernr

Was watching Juventus Sampdoria the other week, 2-1 to Juve going into injury time and this Sampdoria lad pulls an incredible goal out of the bag - 20 yarder, curled into the top corner, absolute worldie to make it 2-2 with basically the last kick. He goes absolutely mental, jumping into the crowd behind the goal, away end going crazy. Great scenes.

VAR tells the referee he's got to come and look at something.

Replay shows that when a tackle (and it was a tackle) was made in the build up on the far side of the pitch the Sampdoria player just got a foot on the ball first, and it moved about two inches forward before hitting the Juventus player involved and bouncing the other way. The goalscorer then collected the ball and popped it in. They ruled that because the ball had gone forward in the tackle, and that the goalscorer had been half a yard offside when it did so, that because it then bounced back to him off a Juventus player he was offside.

Goal disallowed and Juventus won.

It was one of the most scandalous things I've ever seen in football. This idea that VAR will clear up controversy, there will be no argument, etc etc is nonsense. It will just create new ones, and in many cases worse ones.

Poor quality clip below...

This post has been edited by an administrator

But if the right decision is made, isn't that the whole point and what we want as fans?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024