Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket World Cup thread. 10:09 - May 21 with 53866 viewsSnipper

Jofra Archer has been named in the squad, and rightly so. He offers genuine pace and he’s still relatively unknown to the other teams. I don’t agree with the omission of David Willey though. I wouldn’t have had Liam Dawson. But hey ho.

This is the first round robin CWC since Australia/New Zealand in 1992. For me, that was the best CWC. Australia were big favourites, but lost their first four games. England are big favourites for this one. Let’s hope we get off to a better start.

Come on England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:10 - Jun 25 with 1904 viewsdaveB

bloody hell England
Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:13 - Jun 25 with 1890 viewsjonno

Usual story with England. Over hyped, not good enough against the better sides and can't deliver when the pressure is on.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:21 - Jun 25 with 1872 viewsrunningman75

The English media seem to think no other teams will win apart from England. As soon as the tournament starts England start to believe the hype and do not perform as they should. As I have Kiwi friends may be supporting them if England go crashing out of the tournament on current form.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:58 - Jun 25 with 1815 viewsflitwickhoop

I said before the tournament started that I thought England would bottle it and looks like - sadly - I'm going to be right for once.

It's all well and good going round the world winning series and trying to get 500 etc but if you can't do it when it comes to the crunch it pretty much counts for nothing.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:11 - Jun 25 with 1739 viewsCiderwithRsie

Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:13 - Jun 25 by jonno

Usual story with England. Over hyped, not good enough against the better sides and can't deliver when the pressure is on.

No, worse than usual. They aren't over-hyped if you mean they aren't as talented as made out, the record books don't lie and they've got all the skills in the world; but they've bottled it.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:17 - Jun 25 with 1730 viewsCiderwithRsie

Another thing: Andrew Strauss drove the transformation of this side because he knew we had the ICC and WC at home and this was the chance to get cricket back onto the English sporting stage. With county cricket on life support and test cricket struggling outside the Ashes, this was the game's best chance of survival.

It was a great vision brilliantly executed up to now, and is now being thrown away.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:19 - Jun 25 with 1726 viewsjonno

Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:11 - Jun 25 by CiderwithRsie

No, worse than usual. They aren't over-hyped if you mean they aren't as talented as made out, the record books don't lie and they've got all the skills in the world; but they've bottled it.

Losses to Pakistan, Sri Lanka and now almost certainly Australia I think make my comment correct.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:35 - Jun 25 with 1705 viewsCamberleyR

Stokes gone, he can hold his head up from the last two games, the others, forget it. It's all very well smashing 400 from Afghanistan's attack but under a bit of pressure our batting's been found wanting. Can't see them beating India or New Zealand and think we're going to shit out.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:52 - Jun 25 with 1673 viewsted_hendrix

Beaten by a far, far better team who's players seem to have cricketing brains and know how to bowl and bat, hey ho usual almost expected disappointment.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:53 - Jun 25 with 1671 viewsqprd

England is still the best team in the world, I to XI- its not even close. India and Australia have weaknesses which England doesn't have.

but bloody hell, Morgan, how negative is it to bowl first? Chasing any total above 250 against Australia, in Lords, in a match that matters way more for England than it does for Australia, was going to be a tough ask. Lose a wicket or two early and the pressure is on. And while England has the strongest tail in the tournament, its much easier for Rashid, etc to come on at the end of a first innings looking to slog than it is when they're chasing at the end of a match.

Having said that, England really does overrate its players. Morgan? Absolutely overrated as a batsmen and captain. Archer has been good, but grossly overhyped.

fortunately the format is forgiving, so england should still get to the semifinals
Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:57 - Jun 25 with 1649 viewsrunningman75

Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:53 - Jun 25 by qprd

England is still the best team in the world, I to XI- its not even close. India and Australia have weaknesses which England doesn't have.

but bloody hell, Morgan, how negative is it to bowl first? Chasing any total above 250 against Australia, in Lords, in a match that matters way more for England than it does for Australia, was going to be a tough ask. Lose a wicket or two early and the pressure is on. And while England has the strongest tail in the tournament, its much easier for Rashid, etc to come on at the end of a first innings looking to slog than it is when they're chasing at the end of a match.

Having said that, England really does overrate its players. Morgan? Absolutely overrated as a batsmen and captain. Archer has been good, but grossly overhyped.

fortunately the format is forgiving, so england should still get to the semifinals

Australia have won 5 out 6 of the last cricket world cups and could win this one. Statistics are no good when it comes to a winning mentality.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 18:14 - Jun 25 with 1617 viewsRangersw12

Poor batting from England but I still fancy us to qualify for the semi finals

Pakistan were poor in the group stage of the 92 WC and still won it

Let's hope Roy is fit for remaining group games as he makes such a difference at the top of the order
Cricket World Cup thread. on 18:33 - Jun 25 with 1591 viewsterryb

Three matches lost & they batted second every time.

Why do they choose this option when their far better batting first?
Cricket World Cup thread. on 20:05 - Jun 25 with 1512 viewsBlackCrowe

Just back. My god it was turgid. Oz in control from the off. Quite squiffy though.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 21:33 - Jun 25 with 1458 viewsCiderwithRsie

Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:19 - Jun 25 by jonno

Losses to Pakistan, Sri Lanka and now almost certainly Australia I think make my comment correct.

No they don't. Simplistic nonsense
Cricket World Cup thread. on 21:40 - Jun 25 with 1450 viewsSnipper

What is it with our bowlers? After about 8-10 overs, they showed a pic of where every ball was when it got to the wicket. Only 3 bloody balls were hitting the stumps.

In those conditions this morning, we should’ve been bowling near full to take advantage of the bowler friendly conditions. If Australia had won the toss and put us in, they’d have had us out cheaply.

FWIW, Roy has to come in for the woeful Vince & Plunkett has to come in for Ali. Bairstow and Buttler have been awful this tournament, so we need them to shine. If they don’t, it’s goodnight Vienna.

It’s ok banging in a big score vs Afghanistan, but we’ve really been found wanting against the better teams.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 21:42 - Jun 25 with 1444 viewsCiderwithRsie

Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:57 - Jun 25 by runningman75

Australia have won 5 out 6 of the last cricket world cups and could win this one. Statistics are no good when it comes to a winning mentality.

Well, "5 out of 6 world cups" is a statistic...

But yeah it's about mentality, the Australians are mentally tougher. Ben Stokes has got it, not enough others have.

Aussie can go out in the semis and its not that big a deal, like you say they've won WCs before and half the players already have winners' medals from 2015. England know this is the big one, four years work coming down to this, and it's got to them IMO.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 23:20 - Jun 25 with 1359 viewsbob566

Irish fan been neutral. Your bowlers were gash. Mitchell Starc on the other hand. Think NZ will win the whole thing
Cricket World Cup thread. on 23:44 - Jun 25 with 1339 viewsisawqpratwcity

Fair's fair, that was a great match. The battle between the English top/middle order and the Aussie bowlers was awesome.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 02:38 - Jun 26 with 1303 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Cricket World Cup thread. on 21:33 - Jun 25 by CiderwithRsie

No they don't. Simplistic nonsense

I think it does, not just in cricket but football too. Simplicity is genius in working mans clothes.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2019 2:49]
Cricket World Cup thread. on 05:31 - Jun 26 with 1241 viewsHooparoo

Cricket World Cup thread. on 21:42 - Jun 25 by CiderwithRsie

Well, "5 out of 6 world cups" is a statistic...

But yeah it's about mentality, the Australians are mentally tougher. Ben Stokes has got it, not enough others have.

Aussie can go out in the semis and its not that big a deal, like you say they've won WCs before and half the players already have winners' medals from 2015. England know this is the big one, four years work coming down to this, and it's got to them IMO.

Spot on mate. Stupidest thing the England captain did was encouraging the crowd before the match to boo Smith and Warner. Just unites the Aussies and motivates them more to beat you.

Hope they keep booing.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 07:06 - Jun 26 with 1187 viewsCamberleyR

Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:57 - Jun 25 by runningman75

It's actually 4 out of the last 5 (99, 03, 07, 15) but I take your point.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 08:40 - Jun 26 with 1134 viewsTheChef

Cricket World Cup thread. on 17:53 - Jun 25 by qprd

Bit of a statement that first sentence. We're a good/very good team but the tournament shows currently we are not the best in the world. We have a Plan A which is great when it works but no Plan B.

Yesterday and the Sri Lanka game showed the value of batting time and staying in, building a platform. Unfortunately Bairstow, Morgan and Buttler threw their wickets away and we found ourselves relying on Stokes yet again. Well played Australia who are proving themselves a solid and hard to beat team (no surprise) especially with the return of Warner and Smith.

On current form I can't see us beating India or NZ, and if we're lucky we'll limp into the semi finals but get no further than that.

Interesting to note, yesterday TMS mentioned that Pakistan's current set of results are identical to where they were at this stage in the 1992 World Cup...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Cricket World Cup thread. on 10:17 - Jun 26 with 1078 viewsjonno

Cricket World Cup thread. on 18:14 - Jun 25 by Rangersw12

Poor batting from England but I still fancy us to qualify for the semi finals

Pakistan were poor in the group stage of the 92 WC and still won it

Let's hope Roy is fit for remaining group games as he makes such a difference at the top of the order

Roy only makes a difference if the inevitable catches he gives with his slogging are dropped. He's just as likely to get out in the first two overs as he is to get a big score IMHO. But he is definitely far better than Vince. England's ridiculous gung ho approach, encouraged by Morgan, is far too risky and has been found out. I think the reason they adopt that approach is that they know other top sides have better players so it is the only way they can win but they need the luck with them for it to come off and that hasn't been happening.
Cricket World Cup thread. on 15:49 - Jun 26 with 991 viewsaston_hoop

Great recover from NZ to go from 83-5 to 237-6. Could do us a big favour beating Pakistan today - can't see us beating both India and NZ

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024