Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paris 11:37 - Jan 27 with 4417 viewsstowmarketrange

I’m on the 7pm Eurostar on Saturday night for the rugby on Sunday and we’re staying quite close to Gare du Nord station until Monday night,but I’ve only ever been to Paris once,and that was only for a few hours but that was almost 40 years ago.
Any tips for bars,food or travelling around the place would be very welcome.And things to do and see would be good too.
Thanks.
Paris on 19:53 - Jan 27 with 1662 viewsderbyhoop

We went 2 years ago, when England were dreadful. Needless to say the French fans were in good voice on the walk back to the station.
We stayed near Gare Montparnasse, where train from Poitiers arrives. Plenty of eating places, at reasonable prices, in that area. You can go up the Montparnasse tower and see all of the city, including Tour Eiffel.
Metro and RER trains are good, provided the strikes (against pension reforms) aren't still ongoing. Theres also a decent bus service around Paris.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Paris on 09:21 - Jan 28 with 1609 viewsrobith

I'm going to the Ireland game there on the last day of the tournament.

I'm a hipster though, so great to see Konk endorsing the 11e - getting up at 6am a month out to try and get a table at le rigmarole
Paris on 09:43 - Jan 28 with 1584 views1MoreBrightonR

Area around the Pantheon and Rue Mouffetard specifically is very nice...i go on work trips to paris and its got a great selection of bars, pubs and restaurants around there...all very Parisian, tourist friendly but without being out and out touristy like other parts can be.
Paris on 12:41 - Jan 28 with 1533 viewsBlackCrowe

Paris on 09:43 - Jan 28 by 1MoreBrightonR

Area around the Pantheon and Rue Mouffetard specifically is very nice...i go on work trips to paris and its got a great selection of bars, pubs and restaurants around there...all very Parisian, tourist friendly but without being out and out touristy like other parts can be.

Used to have friends that lived on Rue Mouffetard....wonderful and atmospheric area.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Paris on 23:50 - Feb 3 with 1431 viewsstowmarketrange

Thanks for all the tips guys.Nobody mentioned that it took almost an hour to get into the ground from only 75 yards away.
It took almost as long for England to get that far on the pitch though.We stayed in the Irish bars near the moulin rouge last night until tiredness/drunkenness overtook us all.
Thanks to smithy and his in-laws for making the train journey home go quicker.
A good weekend though all the same.
Paris on 08:11 - Feb 4 with 1362 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Anyone ordered the unwashed intestine sausage (sh1t sausage) by accident?

A mate of Orthodox_Hoop and mine did, he was holding his plate up to his family asking them if they could smell merde

Always attempt to translate the menu folks.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

I'm throwing my arms around Paris because ............ on 08:23 - Feb 4 with 1345 viewsShotKneesHoop

Paris on 08:11 - Feb 4 by Metallica_Hoop

A mate of Orthodox_Hoop and mine did, he was holding his plate up to his family asking them if they could smell merde

If you mean Andouillette, (which are chitterlings in English), they are sausages made from very small pigs intestines, then I agree with your gastronomic opinion and taste.

When you bite into the sausage, it feels like a thousand maggots have been let loose in your mouth, and they taste like you are eating shyte.

In the 80's, when I was in Rouen, I had a French product manager introduce Andouillette to me as a Norman delicacy, I almost threw up on the spot. When he came to the UK, I made him eat lava bread. (Welsh sea weed which tastes like it's been grown by a sewer outlet.

A bad taste score draw. Whereas this link below is something else ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=i%27m+throwing+my+arms+around+paris&oq=im+throwi
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 8:32]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Paris on 08:27 - Feb 4 with 1340 viewsericgen34

My dad loved andouillette. I always had to leave the house when he had some when I was a kid
Login to get fewer ads

Paris on 08:32 - Feb 4 with 1329 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Paris on 08:27 - Feb 4 by ericgen34

My dad loved andouillette. I always had to leave the house when he had some when I was a kid

My sympathies.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Paris on 10:04 - Feb 4 with 1249 viewsericgen34

Paris on 08:32 - Feb 4 by Metallica_Hoop

My sympathies.

Thank you :-)

Here's a recipe for those of you who fancy trying at home
WARNING RETCHING INDUCING IMAGES!

Waste of Champers as well...
Paris on 10:48 - Feb 4 with 1208 viewscpgerber

Saint Germain neighborhood for nicest restaurants. Its a few minutes walk from the Notre Dame.
Paris on 11:49 - Feb 4 with 1166 viewsderbyhoop

You mean Andouillette. A great French delicacy but I've never known an anglais eating it.

As you said, it smells like merde.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Paris on 11:57 - Feb 4 with 1156 viewsflynnbo

Paris on 11:49 - Feb 4 by derbyhoop

You mean Andouillette. A great French delicacy but I've never known an anglais eating it.

As you said, it smells like merde.

Tried it at a station service in France about 10 years ago as I stupidly didn’t bother to read the sign just saw what appeared to be a tasty sausage. I didn’t attempt to eat it once sliced open as I quickly realised what I’d ordered- grilled farmyard. However, as mentioned earlier, there are some who love it!
Paris on 17:14 - Feb 4 with 1067 viewsBoston

Paris on 08:27 - Feb 4 by ericgen34

Would he like my lumpy porridge recipe?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Paris on 13:52 - Feb 6 with 941 viewsTomS

Arghhh, curse you. You have rekindled my memories of ordering this unsavoury, savoury item, which I thought I had permanently deleted from my brain.

While in France a few years ago, I saw this on a menu. Now, I will always look for something on a menu which I haven't tried before. I reviewed it's definition in my dictionary and it said something like it's a sausage made from tripe. My dad used to boil tripe in milk back in the day for what seemed hours, stinking out the kitchen, then add parsley and serve it on toast. It was actually quite nice. So emboldened with this memory from my formative years, I ordered the sausage.

Once you cut it open, and see the bits of compressed offal pouring out of the slit in the sausage casing as the pressure is released, you realise immediately that you have made a mistake. Its smell, odour might be more appropriate - it certainly isn't aroma,is also unappealing. You try it anyway and the taste is horrific. You bravely try to eat a few mouthfuls, but part of your brain is screaming at you to put down the cutlery. It is a meal quickly put down to "you win some, you lose some" and you hope to forget it forever.........
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 13:56]
Paris on 15:00 - Feb 6 with 875 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Paris on 13:52 - Feb 6 by TomS

Arghhh, curse you. You have rekindled my memories of ordering this unsavoury, savoury item, which I thought I had permanently deleted from my brain.

While in France a few years ago, I saw this on a menu. Now, I will always look for something on a menu which I haven't tried before. I reviewed it's definition in my dictionary and it said something like it's a sausage made from tripe. My dad used to boil tripe in milk back in the day for what seemed hours, stinking out the kitchen, then add parsley and serve it on toast. It was actually quite nice. So emboldened with this memory from my formative years, I ordered the sausage.

Once you cut it open, and see the bits of compressed offal pouring out of the slit in the sausage casing as the pressure is released, you realise immediately that you have made a mistake. Its smell, odour might be more appropriate - it certainly isn't aroma,is also unappealing. You try it anyway and the taste is horrific. You bravely try to eat a few mouthfuls, but part of your brain is screaming at you to put down the cutlery. It is a meal quickly put down to "you win some, you lose some" and you hope to forget it forever.........
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 13:56]

Ooooh I must give that one a try!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024