Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome 19:17 - Jul 23 with 26769 viewsNorthernr

Pleasing all of the people, all of the time - Report 23rd Jul 2020 18:55
In the great debate about whether QPR should even try against West Brom at The Hawthorns on Wednesday, few had considered just how perfectly things might work out if they did. 46

This post has been edited by an administrator
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:09 - Jul 24 with 1724 viewsNorthernr

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:55 - Jul 24 by rsonist

I'd fear for Norf's sanity if he had to commit to even more content to get by. Only half joking tbh.

It wouldn't be a charity case in the slightest, and I would strongly advise you make it as clear as reasonably possible the manhours and costs involved in doing all of this - that would loudly speak for itself. "Buy us a beer" type supporting language is all nice and good but there ought to be some communication of the nuts and bolts imperative necessity too.

The match reports are the flagship and I think you'd always want the most important bit out front for the future. Possibly the match previews could become subscriber content? (ie to be posted on Patreon only). As they tend to be week in review stuff in general.

Thinking in general as far as extra content goes, if there were ever a surplus in donations to pay its authors I'd be particularly interested in some sort of guest in depth tactical and/or statistical analysis column, either by game or even a monthly overview. NeilSI, Mark O'Haire and Jack Supple come to mind... I wish I could point to some next generation young budding nerds out there but I haven't seen any.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2020 13:56]

Yeh it's a part time job hours wise. If we've got a week where we play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday it's a good 15-18 hours work in that week at a conservative estimate, previews and match reports tend to be two hours each, and then there's easily another six on top of that with all the photos and everything else. That's not including the travelling to and from the game which, like I say, could be in fcking Blackburn (I always use Blackburn because it's the most expensive, shttest experience and most guaranteed defeat). Times I enjoy it, other times I'm just doing it because I need the money to pay bills, and now there's no money, so...

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:13 - Jul 24 with 1707 viewsBostonR

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:05 - Jul 24 by Northernr

The big expense is the travel to the away games. Now I don't want it to sound like I want you guys to pay for me to go to QPR because that's taking the pis but it is a fact that I would be picking and choosing my aways these days if I didn't get paid to go. Now I'm not getting paid, so even if I did want to do a train-travelodge-meals-train Tuesday nighter at Blackburn I can't afford to do it. And when I get somebody else to do it, like Lee, we do pay them for that, as it's the right thing to do, so even not going costs me £30.

When we were in the Prem, and Ji-Sung Park was on board, this site would regularly do 200,000+ page impressions a day, and the economy was pretty good at that time so ad revenues were good and I was getting a very decent amount from here. It's dwindled over the years as QPR have got sht. Now it's gone completely because of the pandemic, literally £0 a month since March.

I want to keep it going but with the cut in salary at the day job as well now I'm not going to be able to afford to do football in the way I was before unless there's some income uptick somewhere. It's not even that much, few hundred quid a month would make a big difference.

I will go first. I would like to support you with a £1,000 donation, no strings attached. Let me know what is the best way to make that transaction. This site is too valuable to lose and I enjoy your work.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:17 - Jul 24 with 1698 viewsNorthernr

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:13 - Jul 24 by BostonR

I will go first. I would like to support you with a £1,000 donation, no strings attached. Let me know what is the best way to make that transaction. This site is too valuable to lose and I enjoy your work.

That's ridiculously generous and I wouldn't expect that. But thank you.
I'll go away in August, set the Patreon up, and maybe a donate button for the previews and reports, and have it all up and running for September two weeks before the season.

Genuinely heartwarming this thread though, struggling to believe it TBH. It also makes Jeff right, which is annoying.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:21 - Jul 24 with 1679 viewsBostonR

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:17 - Jul 24 by Northernr

I'll go away in August, set the Patreon up, and maybe a donate button for the previews and reports, and have it all up and running for September two weeks before the season.

Genuinely heartwarming this thread though, struggling to believe it TBH. It also makes Jeff right, which is annoying.

Please contact me - I want to help. It's a heartfelt and genuine offer. This fecking virus!
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:25 - Jul 24 with 1661 viewsMistication92

The post-game podcast sounds great TBH! As I've said on Twitter, I'd happily subscribe on Patreon. As soon as it's live there's CAD50pm just burning a hole in my pocket.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:31 - Jul 24 with 1644 viewsMistication92

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:28 - Jul 24 by BAWHoops

Would absolutely happily pay.

I agree with the post about associating with something crap though.
In my uninformed opinion I think a £5 optional charge for anyone that wants to chip in will be snapped up. Football 365's forum did this recently and migrated away from the site which was closing down said forum, they created a GoFundMe for forum members and smashed their target allowing them to create a much slicker operation.

You could also offer a top tier package £500 for the LFW away day experience. Pay that and you can join the LFW gang on their away days. Travel organised for you etc etc. It's a bit 'buying friends' but you'd only need a couple of newbie fans to sign up really.
Could appeal to new foreign fans.

Perhaps find a way to integrate some of the fantastic QPR accounts cropping up on Twitter into the weekly content.
QPR On This Day is fantastic, so to is Antii Korpela.

R Generation is a fantastic idea led by seemingly very keen and committed younger fans, can they contribute to the site?

Obviously the idea of throwing enough shit at the wall and seeing what sticks isn't ideal, and the demise of The Football Ramble these last 6 months has highlighted that you don't mess with lightening in a bottle. But there is a happy medium that could certainly be met.

Finally, have a QPR fan sponsor each match. The podcast does it, so why not have a small charge to put a link up to a QPR fan run business.

Sorry to go a bit OT - but when you say demise, what happened to the Ramble exactly? I stopped listening last year when they went daily, I felt like it was overkill.

BTW potentially linking the R generation writers in is a nice idea, gives them good exposure.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2020 14:32]
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:34 - Jul 24 with 1635 viewsextratimeR

Yes Clive, I would definitely do a Patreon, happy to do a fiver a month to protect our site, ( and your journalism)

(Sense of humour I suspect will be in great need next season)
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:34 - Jul 24 with 1632 viewsCincyHoop

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:17 - Jul 24 by Northernr

Please just put a donate button on the front page or at the top of the forum so we can help out. Sadly, some of us need this site more than you know.
Login to get fewer ads

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:34 - Jul 24 with 1632 viewsPerthRs

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:05 - Jul 24 by Northernr

The big expense is the travel to the away games. Now I don't want it to sound like I want you guys to pay for me to go to QPR because that's taking the pis but it is a fact that I would be picking and choosing my aways these days if I didn't get paid to go. Now I'm not getting paid, so even if I did want to do a train-travelodge-meals-train Tuesday nighter at Blackburn I can't afford to do it. And when I get somebody else to do it, like Lee, we do pay them for that, as it's the right thing to do, so even not going costs me £30.

When we were in the Prem, and Ji-Sung Park was on board, this site would regularly do 200,000+ page impressions a day, and the economy was pretty good at that time so ad revenues were good and I was getting a very decent amount from here. It's dwindled over the years as QPR have got sht. Now it's gone completely because of the pandemic, literally £0 a month since March.

I want to keep it going but with the cut in salary at the day job as well now I'm not going to be able to afford to do football in the way I was before unless there's some income uptick somewhere. It's not even that much, few hundred quid a month would make a big difference.

Clive love the work you do and the massive effort shown in getting to matches up and down the country trust me I know what it cost traveling to see the Rs each season and we only get to see 4 to 6 games a season with our flights and hotels etc we spend approx £30k a year, but we do it as we love this club the same reason you do it, Clive pm me with your bank details and I’ll pay you £120 now and direct debit £10 a month for as long as you want run the forum.
Can’t imagine LFW without you, quality site
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:43 - Jul 24 with 1609 viewsMyke

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:13 - Jul 24 by BostonR

Dammit Boston I was about to start the ball rolling with a tenner!!
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:53 - Jul 24 with 1583 viewsrsonist

Not that time likely allows but an awaydays spin off column might be good extra content. Thinking regular transpo/early ticketing heads ups and local amenities with a bit of the travelogue stuff you sometimes do (which is always v enjoyable).

But yeah no a More Blood strategy is probably about as healthy for you as it is for the club.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:58 - Jul 24 with 1567 viewsBrianMcCarthy

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 13:50 - Jul 24 by Northernr

Feels like a better idea than getting up on a Sunday morning hungover to try and edit what we said in the Crown the night before into something coherent doesn't it?

Yaaaaa, there's a basic design flaw there somewhere....

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:58 - Jul 24 with 1566 viewsNorthernr

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:53 - Jul 24 by rsonist

Not that time likely allows but an awaydays spin off column might be good extra content. Thinking regular transpo/early ticketing heads ups and local amenities with a bit of the travelogue stuff you sometimes do (which is always v enjoyable).

But yeah no a More Blood strategy is probably about as healthy for you as it is for the club.

Yeh we used to do Awaydays as a thing, pre match travel and train, then a write up of the day.

I'll look at bringing them back when awaydays are a thing again, which I hear will potentially not be at all next season. :-(
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:58 - Jul 24 with 1566 viewsBakes

I would also happily pay via patreon or donation, I’m not a big poster on the forum but I must look at it at least 6 times a day and can’t imagine a match day without reading the preview or report.

All the best

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:01 - Jul 24 with 1554 viewsBrianMcCarthy

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:34 - Jul 24 by PerthRs

Clive love the work you do and the massive effort shown in getting to matches up and down the country trust me I know what it cost traveling to see the Rs each season and we only get to see 4 to 6 games a season with our flights and hotels etc we spend approx £30k a year, but we do it as we love this club the same reason you do it, Clive pm me with your bank details and I’ll pay you £120 now and direct debit £10 a month for as long as you want run the forum.
Can’t imagine LFW without you, quality site

I'll do the same.

Someone was incredibly kind to me this week and it's left me with extra cash. This seems a great way to spend some of it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:02 - Jul 24 with 1553 viewsMickS

I’m in - too good to lose.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:05 - Jul 24 with 1546 viewsericgen34

Clive, your reports previews and everything else are hugely important to my well being and happiness! Of course I'll happily contribute too

One thing I suggested years ago as well is why not publish previews/reports in a book at the end of each season, I would really love the 2010/11 one for starters :-)
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:08 - Jul 24 with 1540 viewscolinallcars

Count me in...
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:08 - Jul 24 with 1538 viewsCincyHoop

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:05 - Jul 24 by ericgen34

Clive, your reports previews and everything else are hugely important to my well being and happiness! Of course I'll happily contribute too

One thing I suggested years ago as well is why not publish previews/reports in a book at the end of each season, I would really love the 2010/11 one for starters :-)

This.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:13 - Jul 24 with 1527 viewsJAPRANGERS

This is a wonderful site and I am sure we are all grateful for all the great work Clive puts in to keep it running. I am happy to contribute so that LFW can continue forever.....
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:15 - Jul 24 with 1521 viewsNorthernr

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:05 - Jul 24 by ericgen34

We have had the idea of doing a book of classic reports. Both from things like the play-off final and 3-2 v Liverpool, but also the 0-0 v Stoke and 4-0 loss at Norwich when I went off on one.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:26 - Jul 24 with 1490 viewsBurnleyhoop

A fantastic report that, as usual, encapsulates the thoughts and feelings of everyone watching...uncanny really.

Absolutely love the fact that our star player and all round charming young man showed the whole world, what we already knew, that he is without question, utter class.

Also have high hopes for Kakay. Yes he had a rough ride, but he has pace and aggression and battles like his life depends on it. A long way to go, but confident he will come on leaps and bounds next season.

With regard to a subscription....where do I sign?
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:27 - Jul 24 with 1482 viewshoopsmark

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:09 - Jul 24 by Northernr

Yeh it's a part time job hours wise. If we've got a week where we play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday it's a good 15-18 hours work in that week at a conservative estimate, previews and match reports tend to be two hours each, and then there's easily another six on top of that with all the photos and everything else. That's not including the travelling to and from the game which, like I say, could be in fcking Blackburn (I always use Blackburn because it's the most expensive, shttest experience and most guaranteed defeat). Times I enjoy it, other times I'm just doing it because I need the money to pay bills, and now there's no money, so...

Whatever you need Clive.....I’m in.....
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:31 - Jul 24 with 1467 viewsSuperhoop83

This website is absolutely priceless to all of us and I will happily pay whatever it takes to keep it going.

Is it worth setting up a funding page for voluntary contributions now?

Suffering since 1978.

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:40 - Jul 24 with 1439 viewsdublinr

Clive,

Don't do any extra content (podcast, whatever). But do stick up a thing for contributions and see how it goes. You'll be surprised.
I think you'd do well to set up a monthly subscription though- I pay subscriptions for some awful sh+te, paying one for something that's genuinely good would make a welcome change.

Best of LFW book sounds like a great idea.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024