Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome 19:17 - Jul 23 with 26772 viewsNorthernr

Pleasing all of the people, all of the time - Report 23rd Jul 2020 18:55
In the great debate about whether QPR should even try against West Brom at The Hawthorns on Wednesday, few had considered just how perfectly things might work out if they did. 46

This post has been edited by an administrator
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:42 - Jul 24 with 2116 viewsrsonist

Coffee table book of flat roof pubs please.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:44 - Jul 24 with 2109 viewskensalriser

Same story on another forum I'm a regular at - ad revenue has gone south and the owner's other business has been hammered too. He floated a branded polo shirt idea to raise some revenue, net result a lot of people said I don't really need the shirt but am happy to donate the £20.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:44 - Jul 24 with 2109 viewsBrianWilliamsBeard

Happy to chip in and would snap up a compilation of match reports and previews.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:46 - Jul 24 with 2101 viewsdutch

What's a patreon? And where do I pay? Clive's writing is like Eze's goal.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:53 - Jul 24 with 2081 viewsPhildo

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:42 - Jul 24 by rsonist

that could generate retirement type money
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:57 - Jul 24 with 2075 viewsLythamR

Happy to contribute to support the site and particularly the previews and reports.

Regarding Fans Network and advertising, a good proportion if not all the advertising on the site comes through Google advertising. I manage marketing campaigns for a number of clients and the adverts appear on this site. the campaign spend and the average cost per click have not gone down markedly since Covid hit and in some cases has gone up, Google has continued to extract payments for clicks with their usual efficiency and i havent heard any stories about Google failing to pay out to their advertising partners. I suppose its possible that the actual click through rates on the ads might have dropped although that is not my experience across multiple platforms and campaigns and Googles algorithms will promote ads with high performance levels so it might be worth having another conversation with Fans Network
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 16:01 - Jul 24 with 2063 viewsPhildo

...and I suspect a lot of us have businesses - you could do a bit of direct advertising/sponsorship on the site too rather than relying on the crumbs from google.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 16:03 - Jul 24 with 2062 viewsQPRKirty

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:05 - Jul 24 by Northernr

The big expense is the travel to the away games. Now I don't want it to sound like I want you guys to pay for me to go to QPR because that's taking the pis but it is a fact that I would be picking and choosing my aways these days if I didn't get paid to go. Now I'm not getting paid, so even if I did want to do a train-travelodge-meals-train Tuesday nighter at Blackburn I can't afford to do it. And when I get somebody else to do it, like Lee, we do pay them for that, as it's the right thing to do, so even not going costs me £30.

When we were in the Prem, and Ji-Sung Park was on board, this site would regularly do 200,000+ page impressions a day, and the economy was pretty good at that time so ad revenues were good and I was getting a very decent amount from here. It's dwindled over the years as QPR have got sht. Now it's gone completely because of the pandemic, literally £0 a month since March.

I want to keep it going but with the cut in salary at the day job as well now I'm not going to be able to afford to do football in the way I was before unless there's some income uptick somewhere. It's not even that much, few hundred quid a month would make a big difference.

Clive, what you do is incredibly important to many of us. I've always wondered how long you could keep this going to be honest! It's been great that it's been free but I've thought for a long time that if it ever came to it then I would happily pay a subscription/donation. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks this. Do what you think is best mate....
Mark
Login to get fewer ads

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 16:09 - Jul 24 with 2043 viewsBlackCrowe

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:40 - Jul 24 by dublinr

Clive,

Don't do any extra content (podcast, whatever). But do stick up a thing for contributions and see how it goes. You'll be surprised.
I think you'd do well to set up a monthly subscription though- I pay subscriptions for some awful sh+te, paying one for something that's genuinely good would make a welcome change.

Best of LFW book sounds like a great idea.

Agree with this. Set up a monthly pantheon *(never heard this expression before) but i don't think it's necessary to offer exclusive or extra content (unless you want to of course) or change anthing. Certainly don't restrict access for occasionals or guests....i like the visist of fresh posters.

Don't know (and don't need to know) what your running costs are but i'll be surprised if the monthly contributions don't put a huge dent in them or even cover them.

Anyway i'm in with whatever you decide.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2020 16:12]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 16:18 - Jul 24 with 2023 viewsVancouverHoop

Yeah count me in. However you want to fund things is fine, monthly, annually or some other way.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 16:21 - Jul 24 with 2010 viewsMickS

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:42 - Jul 24 by rsonist

A pop up book in the shape of a flat roofed pub painted Chelse blue.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 16:28 - Jul 24 with 1990 viewsed_83

Just chipping in to say that I'd also happily pay a few quid a month in order to support the site & see it continue. Don't care about extra content or any other bells & whistles, your writing is more than enough on its own Clive.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2020 16:29]
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 16:31 - Jul 24 with 1981 viewsMickS

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but is a direct debit an option, Clive?
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 16:36 - Jul 24 with 1968 viewsBathRanger

Firstly, thanks very much for all your hard work over the years. This is pretty much the only website I have visited for articles on QPR for many years and like many others who have posted, I absolutely love reading the match previews and reports. I don't get to a lot of games so I would be gutted if the content disappeared and I would happily pay a subscription to keep LFW going.

I don't have any brilliant ideas about how best to raise funds beyond what has already been suggested. If voluntary donations/subscriptions don't generate enough income, my suggestion would be to put brief match previews and reports on the website along with a message saying full match previews and reports are sent by email and you have to subscribe to receive them. I've no idea how much of an overhead that would be to administer though or how you would receive payments! Could you set up a link to PayPal?

Whatever you decide, I'll happily support it. Best of luck in getting it sorted.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 16:56 - Jul 24 with 1913 viewsPunteR

Fantastic report Clive, cheers.

I'd pay a monthly subscription for this site happily if it meant keeping it running.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:27 - Jul 24 with 1856 viewsqprxtc

How about a free pint for anyone that signs up?

Where do I sign. Many times?
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:32 - Jul 24 with 1855 viewsMickS

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:27 - Jul 24 by qprxtc

How about a free pint for anyone that signs up?

Where do I sign. Many times?

That’s why I asked about the direct debit
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:35 - Jul 24 with 1847 viewsLongsufferingR

Nice to see how many posters on this thread there are who don't post often but find the site/reports/previews/rants a treasured link to HQ. Like everyone else, I can't imagine there's a better run or better written football site in existence, and I'm more than happy to contribute whatever is necessary to help you continue. Great work Clive!
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:35 - Jul 24 with 1843 viewsSimplyNico

Yup. Happy to subscribe. Excellent content.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:39 - Jul 24 with 1824 viewshamptonhillhoop

Another here who'd happily pay a subscription or make a donation. I spend an unhealthy amount of time on this website, even though i dont post an awful lot. The match reports are generally fantastic and would be a great miss. Good luck
[Post edited 24 Jul 2020 17:41]
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 17:48 - Jul 24 with 1801 viewsloftus77

Really heart-warming thread this and well done Clive for everything. Count me in.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 18:35 - Jul 24 with 1740 viewspeejaybee

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 15:08 - Jul 24 by colinallcars

Count me in...

Me as well.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 18:46 - Jul 24 with 1721 viewsdistortR

I don't have much these days, but i'd gladly to pay towards keeping this site going - my main link to Rangers now, and also keeps me in touch with mates. The writing is superb.
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 19:57 - Jul 24 with 1631 viewshantssi

Clive,
Another one here that doesn’t post that much buts is on every day.
I’ve nothing to add that’s been said already and will happily contribute to its upkeep.
Simon
West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 20:16 - Jul 24 with 1604 viewsHunterhoop

West Brom report - plus discussion about this site next season, feedback welcome on 14:00 - Jul 24 by Northernr

Advertising market has gone. Like properly gone. Channel 4 and ITV lost 50% of their ad revenue between March and April. FN are still pursuing ad payments from February. What money they have got is paying for photos, hosting, tech support, running costs. None of the journos have been paid since March. It's just publishing at the moment during this pandemic, I've had 25% of my salary chopped from my day job as well. If QPR came back next week with fans able to go home and away I wouldn't be able to afford to go and cover the aways with the money that's gone off my monthly income. Hence this discussion...

Bloody hell. I knew A&P had been cut massively by the big FMCGs, but I stupidly didn’t connect the dots with ad revenues on here, given the ads remain, but it makes sense. Bit sh*tty of those withholding payment too.

Well, i’m certainly in for whatever mechanism you decide on, whether there’s extra content or not for those contributing. You do a great job, Clive. You had to step into some big shoes when Ron & Simon moved on all those years back, but you’ve not just done that, you’ve overseen the development of the best QPR fan site, and consistently produce the best prose in the world regarding QPR. And given all of us love QPR, I think it’s fair to say for many of us you’re providing a key part of our QPR supporting lives. If the market can’t find that, i’m sure we can.

And don’t feel in any way guilty or shameful about this. It simply isn’t warranted. You provide a service to QPR fans, in a variety of ways. It’s only fair that it’s profitable, and at the very minimum cost recoverable for you. Your work and writing is hugely appreciated...even more so than when you won that penalty shootout for ASB!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024