Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old Firm Derby 14:22 - Jan 2 with 2016 viewsBlackCrowe

Don't know if this is standard fayre in the SPL or a particularly chronic game but god, it's Championship standard at best.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Old Firm Derby on 14:29 - Jan 2 with 1982 viewsJuzzie

Yet both clubs believe they should be accepted straight into the PL.

Yes, they have the stadia and fan base but I think ir would be a rude awakening on the pitch.
Old Firm Derby on 14:38 - Jan 2 with 1958 viewsstowmarketrange

I have watched a few Rangers games this season and they have been getting poorer by the week.They were very lucky to get away with a win today.
It just shows how bad the Scottish premiership is that they’ve been unbeaten all season in the league and only conceded 5 goals.
But what was Gerrard thinking of with taking Roofe off and leaving the time bomb Morelos on?
Old Firm Derby on 15:13 - Jan 2 with 1888 viewsMedwayR

Old Firm Derby on 14:29 - Jan 2 by Juzzie

Yes, they have the stadia and fan base but I think ir would be a rude awakening on the pitch.

Except that with premier league money they’d be able to attract top players. It’s not as if they’d keep their current teams if they were in the prem, not that it’ll ever happen.

Poll: Who’s better?

Old Firm Derby on 15:27 - Jan 2 with 1847 viewsted_hendrix

They've done bloody well in Europe, Follow-follow.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Old Firm Derby on 15:53 - Jan 2 with 1789 viewskarl

I watched it and now watching Hibs playing badly v Livingston.
The pitches are getting into bad condition and the quality of football is starting to suffer as well, Hibs aren't good enough but they're trying to play a passing game while Livi just sit off them and pick up the scraps, very successfully so far.
I've banged on about this consistently, if they got big investment in and a good TV deal then they should give the clubs money to invest in hybrid pitches to give the clubs a chance to play modern game, these pitches encourage long ball game or teams to just concede possession and sit back. The alternative has been plastic cheap plastic surfaces and they change the game too much from a grass surface.
Next time we'll see decent surfaces now will be March/April, longtime to wait
Old Firm Derby on 16:17 - Jan 2 with 1720 viewsLowerloftLad

i think the spl clubs should be allowed into the league cup could make the competition a little refreshing

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Old Firm Derby on 18:43 - Jan 2 with 1511 viewsCiderwithRsie

Old Firm Derby on 14:29 - Jan 2 by Juzzie

Well, the only justification for it would be cash. They've both got some and would get a pile more, and Sky and the PL would expect to make more due to hoovering up the Scottish market.

Awkward if one or both crashed out at first go (not unlikely unless they successfully integrated a pile of players,) - embarrassing, and if they got relegated back to the SPL promotion from the Championship would be buggered up. But you could sort that by ending automatic promotion and relegation.

So pretty much nailed on at some point.
Old Firm Derby on 18:57 - Jan 2 with 1471 viewsMickS

Karl, I’d love to know your view regarding a potential Premier League match between West Ham and either Rangers or a Celtic in London. Away allocation would go in twenty seconds - how many more would travel without tickets? (rhetorical etc).

Or cup match - or anything.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 19:00]
Login to get fewer ads

Old Firm Derby on 19:46 - Jan 2 with 1371 viewskarl

Old Firm Derby on 18:57 - Jan 2 by MickS

Karl, I’d love to know your view regarding a potential Premier League match between West Ham and either Rangers or a Celtic in London. Away allocation would go in twenty seconds - how many more would travel without tickets? (rhetorical etc).

Or cup match - or anything.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 19:00]

They both have big away support and biggest thing will be the number of '2nd club' fans that would pick up any slack I'm sure.
Biggest problem in recent years was the UEFA Cup final in Manchester where they wrecked the city, allegedly started during the game as a big screen provided for ticketless fans stopped working so they went on the rampage!
Rangers fans currently have a worse reputation for behaviour but not sure there's much in it tbh

Edit
I think crowd behaviour will be one of the biggest issue that will prevent them getting into EPL, the sectarianism is a horrible element they revel in.
Most other Scottish clubs would gladly wave them goodbye but we know they'll be allowed to leave 'Colts' teams and they would just continue the poisoning of the game
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 19:54]
Old Firm Derby on 21:26 - Jan 2 with 1281 viewsLazyFan

EPL would only want the Old Firm and not the rest.

However, if they left for even a PL2 especially created for them to join and then Scotland left the UK in IndyRef 2, what then?

The rest of the SPL would never let them back in even at the lower leagues. They would be banned forever. And that would be the end of them. They know this as the rest of the SPL tells it to them all the time. They have to otherwise the Old Firm would have left ages ago.

Thus we have this eternal stalemate until Scotland has another ref and we find out if it stays or goes. If it stays then it will happen, if it goes then it will never happen.

Football has been overridden by the politics on this one!

zzzzzzzzzz

Old Firm Derby on 21:49 - Jan 2 with 1227 viewsBoston

It's a different game up there.
https://www.bing.com/images/blob?bcid=ToSgmRZQTToC56gGzn.iUJwuYpdu.....yE

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Old Firm Derby on 21:50 - Jan 2 with 1224 viewsstowmarketrange

Old Firm Derby on 19:46 - Jan 2 by karl

They both have big away support and biggest thing will be the number of '2nd club' fans that would pick up any slack I'm sure.
Biggest problem in recent years was the UEFA Cup final in Manchester where they wrecked the city, allegedly started during the game as a big screen provided for ticketless fans stopped working so they went on the rampage!
Rangers fans currently have a worse reputation for behaviour but not sure there's much in it tbh

Edit
I think crowd behaviour will be one of the biggest issue that will prevent them getting into EPL, the sectarianism is a horrible element they revel in.
Most other Scottish clubs would gladly wave them goodbye but we know they'll be allowed to leave 'Colts' teams and they would just continue the poisoning of the game
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 19:54]

I hear that there used to be more trouble at the Edinburgh derby rather than the Glasgow one.At least that’s what my sister-in-law said and she comes from there.
Has the animosity died down a bit now between the rival fans?

I think most towns in Scotland have a Rangers pub and also a Celtic one,so the trouble after an old firm game is possibly more widespread than the more localised Edinburgh event.

I used to visit my mate’s sisters house in milngavie,and that was always a bit heated after a derby game.Some of it was harmless banter,but there were occasional fights between the two pubs.
Old Firm Derby on 22:10 - Jan 2 with 1190 viewskarl

Old Firm Derby on 21:50 - Jan 2 by stowmarketrange

I hear that there used to be more trouble at the Edinburgh derby rather than the Glasgow one.At least that’s what my sister-in-law said and she comes from there.
Has the animosity died down a bit now between the rival fans?

I think most towns in Scotland have a Rangers pub and also a Celtic one,so the trouble after an old firm game is possibly more widespread than the more localised Edinburgh event.

I used to visit my mate’s sisters house in milngavie,and that was always a bit heated after a derby game.Some of it was harmless banter,but there were occasional fights between the two pubs.

I've been to quite a lot of derbies and it's definitely verging on nasty feeling particularly evening games. We always head down from the ground towards Leith, ground isn't actually on Easter Road but that's the area to avoid and London Road which heads back to town, if you're hanging around there you're not actively avoiding potential flash points tbf I've never seen any trouble by heading in the direction I have.
From Tynecastle just head with the flow to Prince's Street and get away from the area to pubs down Leith Walk etc.
Even in Orkney we've had people do time for 2 pubs fighting about the Old Firm and the pool cues coming out, it just pervades the whole country!
Old Firm Derby on 22:12 - Jan 2 with 1186 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Having two Scottish teams joining an English league just because they're bored and/or greedy would be even more amoral as the Spanish Super Cup being held abroad.

Though I can see why some Scottish people would want to be shot of both clubs. One wants to be Irish, the other wants to be English, and neither wants to be humble.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Old Firm Derby on 22:39 - Jan 2 with 1152 viewsBoston

Old Firm Derby on 22:12 - Jan 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Having two Scottish teams joining an English league just because they're bored and/or greedy would be even more amoral as the Spanish Super Cup being held abroad.

Though I can see why some Scottish people would want to be shot of both clubs. One wants to be Irish, the other wants to be English, and neither wants to be humble.

Never met a teddy bear who wanted to be English.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Old Firm Derby on 23:38 - Jan 2 with 1091 viewsstowmarketrange

Old Firm Derby on 22:39 - Jan 2 by Boston

I think there may be a lot more English that want to be gers than there are gers who want to be English.
Old Firm Derby on 23:45 - Jan 2 with 1078 viewsJuzzie

Old Firm Derby on 22:39 - Jan 2 by Boston

Many years ago (late 80’s) I was motorbiking around England and into Scotland for a couple of weeks.
On the middle weekend I parked up at a campsite in Lanark on a Friday night.
I ventured into the local pub and there was a big bloke at the bar with Rangers shirt, Rangers rings & necklace.

Got chatting about football, he said he’s never missed a Rangers game home or away inc. pre season friendlies or european games. I told him I was QPR and he said he had a replica shirt of every english league club. “Do you have any other Scottish club shirts.” I asked.
He indignantly replied “I’m a Rangers fan, I don’t have ANY other Scottish shirts”. I presume he included the national team too.

Sunday evening there he was and he showed me the QPR shirt he had.
I then made the mistake of saying I went to see Celtic v Aberdeen the previous afternoon. He went as red as a beetroot and i had to explain very quickly if Rangers were at home I’d have gone to that. I only went to Celtic Park as it just so happened they were at home.
I think the fact Celtic lost 3-0 helped calm him down!

Even though he was Scottish I got the feeling he was very pro-English.

On a side note, I went into Edinburgh on Sunday and whilst washing my hands in the public toilets the attendant came up to me and said “are you English?”.
“errrr, yes”
“boy am I glad to see you, all we get in here is Spanish and French!”.

T’was an interesting couple of days in Scotland!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024