Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Honduras 15:26 - Feb 4 with 2831 viewsSonofNorfolt

More specifically Utila and Roatan Island.
Anyone been?
Honduras on 15:34 - Feb 4 with 2443 viewsMoonshineSteve

I thought we were only allowed out for an hour. Have they agreed that your continued globetrotting is essential then?

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Honduras on 15:56 - Feb 4 with 2398 viewsSonofNorfolt

Mental Health issues.
I'm mental but in good health.
Need something to look forward to.
Honduras on 16:01 - Feb 4 with 2388 views1MoreBrightonR

I went to Utilla when i was backpacking 9 years ago. LEarnt to dive there...one of the cheapest places in the world to do it. We got stuck there a few extra days because of a storm on the mainland so spent maybe 10 days there.

It's great fun and great for diving but there arent really beaches or anything there. You kind of go there to dive, drink and whatever else takes your fancy.

Locals are very funny...weird bunch as there are a lot of old British/scottish people from way way back when it was on the pirate routes, so you get weird ginger people with odd accents who seem a little inbred. small island....
Honduras on 20:30 - Feb 4 with 2318 viewsThe_Beast1976

Been to Honduras. But not to Utila or Roatan. So that is probably of no help at all. I could have just said I hadn't been. Or I could have said nothing at all. It is what it is.
Honduras on 21:15 - Feb 4 with 2266 viewsSonofNorfolt

Thanks 1more and no thanks at all Dean, did your missus photo bomb your post?
Whilst you're about you can advise me on Tegucigalpa? How can one not want to visit a city with a name like that? Did the Windies play a test there because of hurricane damage?
Honduras on 21:37 - Feb 4 with 2241 viewsonlyrinmoray

Watched Simon Reeve programme recently He said it was one of the most dangerous places in the world Best of luck 😗
Honduras on 22:28 - Feb 4 with 2198 viewsqprxtc

Honduras on 22:33 - Feb 4 with 2186 viewsthame_hoops

We went to Tegucigalpa, The people are so friendly and it’s a beautiful country. Worth visiting the national parks. My missus had work to do there so I tagged along. A well travelled man like you will love the place. Very cheap too and the craft beer has really taken off
Login to get fewer ads

Honduras on 22:38 - Feb 4 with 2180 viewsSonofNorfolt

Honduras on 21:37 - Feb 4 by onlyrinmoray

Watched Simon Reeve programme recently He said it was one of the most dangerous places in the world Best of luck 😗

Although he went to school in Acton, I don't think he's Rangers like us. Was he at Elland Rd in '87? Get glassed in Chesterfield? Doubt it.
Always find he makes the interesting quite uninteresting. Jealous? F'ing right.
Honduras on 00:54 - Feb 5 with 2123 viewsBoston

Honduras on 16:01 - Feb 4 by 1MoreBrightonR

I went to Utilla when i was backpacking 9 years ago. LEarnt to dive there...one of the cheapest places in the world to do it. We got stuck there a few extra days because of a storm on the mainland so spent maybe 10 days there.

It's great fun and great for diving but there arent really beaches or anything there. You kind of go there to dive, drink and whatever else takes your fancy.

Locals are very funny...weird bunch as there are a lot of old British/scottish people from way way back when it was on the pirate routes, so you get weird ginger people with odd accents who seem a little inbred. small island....

Would that be cage diving senor? As always, safety first.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Honduras on 07:47 - Feb 5 with 2045 viewsdistortR

Honduras on 16:01 - Feb 4 by 1MoreBrightonR

i take your last sentence personally.
Honduras on 08:36 - Feb 5 with 2009 viewsQPROslo

Honduras on 22:33 - Feb 4 by thame_hoops

We went to Tegucigalpa, The people are so friendly and it’s a beautiful country. Worth visiting the national parks. My missus had work to do there so I tagged along. A well travelled man like you will love the place. Very cheap too and the craft beer has really taken off

I was in Honduras nearly 50 years ago. Travelled from Mexico via Belise City and boat from there, because Brits weren't allowed into Guatemala back then. Don't think there was a road south from Belise City anyway. But my main memory was how friendly folks in Tegucigalpa were, especially the young lady teaching me some Spanish.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 8:38]
Honduras on 09:08 - Feb 5 with 1981 viewsdanehoop

To be fair, just reading the latest travel advice pages, I'm not entirely sure it will be the top of my list at the moment:

"Safety and security
Crime
There are high levels of crime. Most serious crime does not affect tourists but attacks on foreigners including armed robbery and sexual assault do sometimes occur. These attacks can take place anywhere and at any time of the day. People have been killed and injured resisting attack. It is useful to carry a small amount of money to hand out in the event of a robbery.

The Bay Islands are generally safer than mainland Honduras, but there have been several attacks on visitors, including on the ferries to and from mainland Honduras. If you are visiting Roatán, travel with a reputable guide. If you are driving a car or scooter, avoid side roads in remote areas particularly Palm Beach Road close to Milton Bright. Take care on beaches in Tela and the north coast towns after dark. There have been attacks on foreigners on beaches after dark.

Take care if you are travelling alone. In remote areas it may be safer to travel with others or take part in a tour. Never accept lifts from strangers or attempt to hitchhike. Be vigilant of your surroundings at all times and in all locations.

There have been reports of violent attacks on cars and buses. Using a reputable tour company for longer journeys may reduce the risks. On shorter distances, use radio or hotel taxis.

Petty theft is a problem in cities and tourist areas, including the Bay Islands (Roatán, Utila and Guanaja). Avoid walking around Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula and other main towns and cities on mainland Honduras. Be particularly careful at bus stations, airports, isolated beaches, tourist sites and on public transport. Keep your valuables locked away in a safe if possible. Avoid displaying valuable items like jewellery, cameras, iPads and mobile phones.

It is safer to withdraw money from ATMs in shopping centres and to change money in hotels or banks. Do not withdraw too much money at one time. There have been attacks on foreigners after they have withdrawn money from ATMs. Avoid withdrawing money at night.

Foreign visitors and residents can be targeted by scam artists. The scams come in many forms, and can pose great financial loss. If you or your relatives or friends are asked to transfer money to Honduras make absolutely sure that it is not part of a scam and that you have properly checked with the person receiving the money that they are requesting it.

Local travel
Do not travel after dark as you greatly increase the risk of attack. Roads that have seen attacks include routes from Limones to La Union, from Olancho via Salama to Saba, from Gualaco to San Esteban and from La Esperanza to Gracias. The isolated roads of the Department of Santa Barbara have also seen criminal activity, and hijackings of vehicles have occurred on roads in and around Tela, La Ceiba, Trujillo and El Progreso.

Take particular care near the borders with Guatemala, El Salvador and Nicaragua. Travellers have been targeted by armed robbers after crossing the Honduran border into El Salvador. It is often better to cross borders in the morning as they sometimes close in the early evening or remain unmanned at night.

There are unmarked minefields in/around the border with Nicaragua. Take care and avoid walking on unmarked paths or off main roads in these areas.

Road travel
You can use your UK driving licence to drive in Honduras if you are visiting for under 3 months, but an International Driving Permit is recommended.

Make sure you have adequate insurance. If you are involved in an accident, contact the police (199) or the fire brigade (198) and stay with your vehicle. If you are in a serious accident, you may be taken into custody regardless of responsibility. Seek legal help and inform the British Embassy in Guatemala. Take full details of the other driver (who may not be insured), and do not rely solely on the vehicle’s number plate.

Driving standards in Honduras are generally poor. You may need a 4x4 vehicle if you are not travelling on main roads. You should avoid road travel at night. Many vehicles travel without lights, and animals often wander across the roads causing accidents.

It is generally safer to travel on main roads between major cities and tourist destinations. Lock vehicle doors and keep windows closed. If possible, travel in convoy. Following any traffic accident, you should normally wait for the police to arrive.

Public buses are often poorly maintained, overcrowded and recklessly driven. Accidents are common and sometimes fatal. You should avoid travel on public buses. There has been an increase of armed attacks by local gangs on bus drivers and conductors, often resulting in serious injury or death. There have been reports of violent muggings, including rape and assault against foreigners on these buses. Luxury buses, normally operated by private companies, are usually better maintained."

Never knowingly understood

Honduras on 10:07 - Feb 5 with 1959 viewsBklynRanger

Other than that - basically fine...
Honduras on 11:53 - Feb 5 with 1914 views1MoreBrightonR

I was backpacking for 9 months, so odd things do start to become normal...and in Honduras the odd:
- you were advised to never be in the capital city, even in a taxi, after dark.
- our taxi driver, who was an old man, told us he had a gun under his seat and he shot the last person in the leg who tried to rob him.
- to go in to the bank: armed guard outside the door. have a chat with him. he radios the armed guard inside the bank who unliocks the door and lets you in. that was on one of the islands too which was tiny but to be fair, a lot of central America had similar set ups.
- Petty theft on Utila. a friend of ours had his bag stolen. we were on a dock/jetty thing which was also a bar and his back was behind him on the edge. someone snorkelled up and took it. very common by all accounts. I kind of respect their method ha ha. Then my friend paid a local man to 'find' his passport.

despite all the above, we did really like it! it was a little sad as their government had recently been over thrown and you could see how much it had his tourism but parts are stunning, we didn't feel massively in danger more than a load of other backpacker places and had loads of fun on Utilla.

The gun crime/murger rates are because of drug gangs and gangs in cities killing each other, so outside those cities, tourists are pretty unaffected.
Honduras on 13:10 - Feb 5 with 1876 viewsonlyrinmoray

I think that is a no try Costa Rica instead. BTW My brother in law was with a group of church volunteers in Guatamala three women two guys and himself They were stopped by two men who took them into woods as the men had a gun robbed and two of the women raped They went to the police who werent interested Central America can be a dangeous place except Costa Rica so Im told
Honduras on 19:12 - Feb 5 with 1786 viewsSonofNorfolt

Was in Costa Rica/Panama about eighteen months ago. Prefer somewhere edgier.
Honduras on 15:09 - Feb 6 with 1671 views1MoreBrightonR

Guatemala was absolutely amazing when I went. Nicaragua was too but I know they have had a lot of political unrest recently.

Costa Rica was nice but full of Americans and very expensive. I wasn't a fan overall but it's definitely the safest and most tourist friendly of the countries in that region.
Honduras on 15:12 - Feb 6 with 1669 viewsRangersDave

Did Roatan on a cruise. Never went more than 200yards from the ship as we were warned about the terrible crime levels against tourists there.

I did try, and flagged a cab, but even he said 'are you sure', to my destination choice so i left it alone.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Honduras on 18:32 - Feb 6 with 1604 viewsBoston

Honduras on 19:12 - Feb 5 by SonofNorfolt

Are you pretty? You may find yourself heading into the woods.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Honduras on 19:31 - Feb 6 with 1585 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Honduras on 21:37 - Feb 4 by onlyrinmoray

First thought that crossed my mind too onlyrinmoray its just too dangerous to visit and Central American countries right now.Look at the migrant caravans heading North its a lot of terrified people looking to escape their homeland and fear being turned back .I would try Florida or Arizona first
Honduras on 19:35 - Feb 6 with 1579 views1MoreBrightonR

Honduras on 19:31 - Feb 6 by CLAREMAN1995

First thought that crossed my mind too onlyrinmoray its just too dangerous to visit and Central American countries right now.Look at the migrant caravans heading North its a lot of terrified people looking to escape their homeland and fear being turned back .I would try Florida or Arizona first

Honestly having travelled through Mexico all the way down to Panama, I don't agree with this at all. It depends on what you want obviously. Compared to a resort destination, yes, it's edgier and definitely more dangerous, but it didn't feel any more dangerous than anywhere In South East Asia after spending 4 months there.

As mentioned previously, most of the issues with gangs and the drug trade are isolated to certain areas and local communities.
Honduras on 21:05 - Feb 6 with 1535 viewsThe_Beast1976

Honduras on 19:12 - Feb 5 by SonofNorfolt

El Salvador is well worth a visit. Guns everywhere, but didn't encounter any problems
Honduras on 08:23 - Feb 7 with 1485 viewsdistortR

Reading this makes me feel desperately unhappy for the people who have to live with this every day
Honduras on 09:35 - Feb 7 with 1450 viewsNortholt_Rs

Honduras on 09:08 - Feb 5 by danehoop

To be fair, just reading the latest travel advice pages, I'm not entirely sure it will be the top of my list at the moment:

"Safety and security
Crime
There are high levels of crime. Most serious crime does not affect tourists but attacks on foreigners including armed robbery and sexual assault do sometimes occur. These attacks can take place anywhere and at any time of the day. People have been killed and injured resisting attack. It is useful to carry a small amount of money to hand out in the event of a robbery.

The Bay Islands are generally safer than mainland Honduras, but there have been several attacks on visitors, including on the ferries to and from mainland Honduras. If you are visiting Roatán, travel with a reputable guide. If you are driving a car or scooter, avoid side roads in remote areas particularly Palm Beach Road close to Milton Bright. Take care on beaches in Tela and the north coast towns after dark. There have been attacks on foreigners on beaches after dark.

Take care if you are travelling alone. In remote areas it may be safer to travel with others or take part in a tour. Never accept lifts from strangers or attempt to hitchhike. Be vigilant of your surroundings at all times and in all locations.

There have been reports of violent attacks on cars and buses. Using a reputable tour company for longer journeys may reduce the risks. On shorter distances, use radio or hotel taxis.

Petty theft is a problem in cities and tourist areas, including the Bay Islands (Roatán, Utila and Guanaja). Avoid walking around Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula and other main towns and cities on mainland Honduras. Be particularly careful at bus stations, airports, isolated beaches, tourist sites and on public transport. Keep your valuables locked away in a safe if possible. Avoid displaying valuable items like jewellery, cameras, iPads and mobile phones.

It is safer to withdraw money from ATMs in shopping centres and to change money in hotels or banks. Do not withdraw too much money at one time. There have been attacks on foreigners after they have withdrawn money from ATMs. Avoid withdrawing money at night.

Foreign visitors and residents can be targeted by scam artists. The scams come in many forms, and can pose great financial loss. If you or your relatives or friends are asked to transfer money to Honduras make absolutely sure that it is not part of a scam and that you have properly checked with the person receiving the money that they are requesting it.

Local travel
Do not travel after dark as you greatly increase the risk of attack. Roads that have seen attacks include routes from Limones to La Union, from Olancho via Salama to Saba, from Gualaco to San Esteban and from La Esperanza to Gracias. The isolated roads of the Department of Santa Barbara have also seen criminal activity, and hijackings of vehicles have occurred on roads in and around Tela, La Ceiba, Trujillo and El Progreso.

Take particular care near the borders with Guatemala, El Salvador and Nicaragua. Travellers have been targeted by armed robbers after crossing the Honduran border into El Salvador. It is often better to cross borders in the morning as they sometimes close in the early evening or remain unmanned at night.

There are unmarked minefields in/around the border with Nicaragua. Take care and avoid walking on unmarked paths or off main roads in these areas.

Road travel
You can use your UK driving licence to drive in Honduras if you are visiting for under 3 months, but an International Driving Permit is recommended.

Make sure you have adequate insurance. If you are involved in an accident, contact the police (199) or the fire brigade (198) and stay with your vehicle. If you are in a serious accident, you may be taken into custody regardless of responsibility. Seek legal help and inform the British Embassy in Guatemala. Take full details of the other driver (who may not be insured), and do not rely solely on the vehicle’s number plate.

Driving standards in Honduras are generally poor. You may need a 4x4 vehicle if you are not travelling on main roads. You should avoid road travel at night. Many vehicles travel without lights, and animals often wander across the roads causing accidents.

It is generally safer to travel on main roads between major cities and tourist destinations. Lock vehicle doors and keep windows closed. If possible, travel in convoy. Following any traffic accident, you should normally wait for the police to arrive.

Public buses are often poorly maintained, overcrowded and recklessly driven. Accidents are common and sometimes fatal. You should avoid travel on public buses. There has been an increase of armed attacks by local gangs on bus drivers and conductors, often resulting in serious injury or death. There have been reports of violent muggings, including rape and assault against foreigners on these buses. Luxury buses, normally operated by private companies, are usually better maintained."

Sounds a lot like Northolt tbf.....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024