Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Medical emergencies at matches. 13:52 - Jan 25 with 2242 viewsSnipper

I was chatting with a colleague at work yesterday about football.
I mentioned the medical emergency at our game on Saturday, and that’s why we had 16 minutes injury time.

I’m not saying that the game shouldn’t be stopped, as preserving life is much more important than a game of football, but with this being the new norm, are we going to be moving into the territory of a ‘tactical’ medical emergency in the crowd?

If a team are under the cosh at an important time of the game, what’s to stop a section of their crowd colluding in an incident?
Medical emergencies at matches. on 13:53 - Jan 25 with 2223 viewsLongsufferingR

I suppose it would be spotted extremely quickly by the medical staff that it wasn't a real emergency, the person would be banned and the club fined.
Medical emergencies at matches. on 14:08 - Jan 25 with 2145 viewsrobith

Be fairly easy to rumble though? And threat of punitive action from the league authorities might make it fairly un appealing
Medical emergencies at matches. on 14:19 - Jan 25 with 2087 viewsslmrstid

I cant imagine this is realistic prospect.

And in all honesty, anyone willing to fake a medical emergency to get a game of football stopped would really be the dregs of humanity.
Medical emergencies at matches. on 14:42 - Jan 25 with 1975 viewsBoston

They’re going to need a suicide prevention team at Vicarage Rd.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Medical emergencies at matches. on 15:36 - Jan 25 with 1836 viewsdaveB

A big part of it has been that clubs medical teams are the ones helping possibly due to a lot of clubs getting rid of St Johns ambulance staff who used to deal with these incidents. This means game have to be stopped in case something happens on the pitch and medical team are needed
Medical emergencies at matches. on 16:09 - Jan 25 with 1763 viewsWokingR

Medical emergencies at matches. on 14:19 - Jan 25 by slmrstid

I cant imagine this is realistic prospect.

And in all honesty, anyone willing to fake a medical emergency to get a game of football stopped would really be the dregs of humanity.

"Dregs of humanity" - Watch Chelsea now go and do exactly this
Medical emergencies at matches. on 10:38 - Jan 26 with 1380 viewsPinnerPaul

When I watched the 90' back of the Coventry game, about halfway through the stoppage, Nick and Andy seemed to imply that the guy was being taken away.

Players seemed to get ready to start and then ref came over and explained to the two Marks, what the further delay was for.

I'm guessing he was waiting for either/or/both club doctors to return as they had been helping - Nick and Andy said ours was at any rate.
Medical emergencies at matches. on 10:46 - Jan 26 with 1353 viewsslmrstid

Medical emergencies at matches. on 10:38 - Jan 26 by PinnerPaul

When I watched the 90' back of the Coventry game, about halfway through the stoppage, Nick and Andy seemed to imply that the guy was being taken away.

Players seemed to get ready to start and then ref came over and explained to the two Marks, what the further delay was for.

I'm guessing he was waiting for either/or/both club doctors to return as they had been helping - Nick and Andy said ours was at any rate.

This is correct as we were stood in the stand wondering why the extra delay, then a couple of minutes later both sets of club doctors returned from the stands and made their way to the benches, followed by more "neutral" (for want of a better word) medical staff. All of them received warm applause. Then the game restarted.

It wouldn't surprise me if referees are now under instruction too to stop games if they are aware of medical incidents in the crowd to allow club medical staff to get involved (and probably quicker access to defibrillators too from the tunnel or wherever they are stored).

Awareness around these incidents, and how every second really counts, is so much greater now since the Eriksen incident.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 10:46]
Login to get fewer ads

Medical emergencies at matches. on 15:19 - Jan 26 with 1253 viewspaulhoop2

Since the Erickson incident refs and clubs are more cautious. Plus the call to stop a game is often initiated by the club safety officer via the 4th official .

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Medical emergencies at matches. on 21:02 - Jan 26 with 1102 viewsPunteR

Medical emergencies at matches. on 15:36 - Jan 25 by daveB

A big part of it has been that clubs medical teams are the ones helping possibly due to a lot of clubs getting rid of St Johns ambulance staff who used to deal with these incidents. This means game have to be stopped in case something happens on the pitch and medical team are needed

This explains it. Makes sense.
It did seem a little bit over the top on Saturday though, maybe due to some fatalities at games recently.? If it was an epileptic fit. Ive seen loads of them. One of the things i was told about that is dont crowd them. There was about 12, medics, stewards ,random fans helping, tarpaulin, 2 stretchers ..
I guess you cant be too careful.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Medical emergencies at matches. on 08:37 - Jan 27 with 951 viewswombat

Medical emergencies at matches. on 21:02 - Jan 26 by PunteR

This explains it. Makes sense.
It did seem a little bit over the top on Saturday though, maybe due to some fatalities at games recently.? If it was an epileptic fit. Ive seen loads of them. One of the things i was told about that is dont crowd them. There was about 12, medics, stewards ,random fans helping, tarpaulin, 2 stretchers ..
I guess you cant be too careful.

think it might be as clubs medical teams are involved the games cant carry o until they are back on the bench in case of something happening on the pitch , would like to see the clock stopped from the moment the games stopped though and the delay not added on as extra time resutling in the 17 mins we had at coventry

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Medical emergencies at matches. on 08:58 - Jan 27 with 918 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Is this not exactly what diving is?
Medical emergencies at matches. on 09:09 - Jan 27 with 894 viewsdmm

Medical emergencies at matches. on 08:58 - Jan 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Is this not exactly what diving is?

You might be getting football shithousery mixed up with an aquatic sport, although I do see the connection.
Medical emergencies at matches. on 10:50 - Jan 27 with 813 viewsPinnerPaul

Medical emergencies at matches. on 08:37 - Jan 27 by wombat

think it might be as clubs medical teams are involved the games cant carry o until they are back on the bench in case of something happening on the pitch , would like to see the clock stopped from the moment the games stopped though and the delay not added on as extra time resutling in the 17 mins we had at coventry

Does it matter?

Surely best to treat all delays as added time?
Medical emergencies at matches. on 11:00 - Jan 27 with 800 viewswombat

Medical emergencies at matches. on 10:50 - Jan 27 by PinnerPaul

Does it matter?

Surely best to treat all delays as added time?

Yes but thinking of the fans attending hard to keep track of how long is left of the 90 if the games stopped , surely stop the clock play the remaking mins then add on the usual added time

Poll: which is your favouite foot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024