Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spuds Ground 08:30 - Feb 7 with 9442 viewsCFW

On Saturday went to the new Spuds ground - treat for my lads who have a special birthday, booked the Stratus lounge with drinks, food and great seats. Have to say I was totally blown away with the stadium it is fantastic and now I understand why the budget and build time went pear shape. Only issue for me is the surrounding area which without being disrespectful is not great.

In my view it is well worth a trip just to see a totally brilliant stadium.

PS Brighton were awful
Spuds Ground on 19:01 - Feb 7 with 2106 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Spuds Ground on 18:51 - Feb 7 by dmm

The Bricklayers Arms is a fantastic pub. Putney Porter is an absolutely delicious pint.

I didn't spot that one but I'll try it next time. I had a pint of Thornbridge Lord Marples which was very good.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Spuds Ground on 19:18 - Feb 7 with 2069 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Spuds Ground on 18:20 - Feb 7 by switchingcode

😃I know and quite few actually come to games with their Bees mates.

We are a charitable people.
Spuds Ground on 20:51 - Feb 7 with 1969 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Spuds Ground on 18:31 - Feb 7 by Mick_S

Joe, I wouldn’t have Spurs as inner London myself although It feels like it when you are there. I’d go Millwall as the most inner London football club.

Loftus Rd to Charing Cross: 6 miles

The New Den to Charing Cross: 5 miles
Spuds Ground on 21:10 - Feb 7 with 1942 viewsMick_S

Spuds Ground on 20:51 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

Ooooooh - close.

I’ve just had a little check, baz. If we’re using Charing Cross as our x point, then it would appear that Arsenal and that other lot are closer than we are. Still feels like Millwall, to me when I’m out and about. Up the Shard.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 21:38]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Spuds Ground on 21:52 - Feb 7 with 1867 viewsBoston

Spuds Ground on 15:36 - Feb 7 by kensalriser

Most importantly, how was the cheese?

...and did it come in a baked spud?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Spuds Ground on 22:58 - Feb 7 with 1804 viewsGroveR

Spuds Ground on 18:51 - Feb 7 by dmm

The Bricklayers Arms is a fantastic pub. Putney Porter is an absolutely delicious pint.

The Jolly Garderners on Lacy Rd is about 5mins walk around the back of the Bricklayers and worth a look if in the area. Can be a bit red-trousery when the rugger is on but that goes with the territory.
Spuds Ground on 23:02 - Feb 7 with 1800 viewsSydneyRs

Spuds Ground on 10:21 - Feb 7 by TheChef

Hmmm well that's the thing, you can still be a big club and have noisy passionate fans.

Spurs and Arsenal fans just strike me as quiet and moany for the most part, living off past glories.

I think part of it is the size of their stadiums. Their hardcore support isn't enough to fill those grounds and therefore there's a lot of touristy selfie stick types at the games.

Spurs' new ground may be fantastic, but the old WHL was superb for atmosphere when a good crowd was in.
Spuds Ground on 23:12 - Feb 7 with 1791 viewsGroveR

As this is a spurs ground thread the last time I was there was a corporate hospitality gig for a home game with Birmingham. All picked up for by a supplier. 3 courses, free booze, very nice.

Martin Chivers was doing the compere bit, much like Andy Sinton used to I guess, walking around all the tables, asking fans what they thought the score would be. He asked me and I said I didn't really care as I was a QPR fan and just there for a jolly. He bent down very close to my ear and spoke one word, in a loving - almost tender - whisper: "cùnt" - fair play.
Login to get fewer ads

Spuds Ground on 23:26 - Feb 7 with 1761 viewsjoe90

Spuds Ground on 20:51 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

That’s one way to look at. There are 12 inner city boroughs and we are based in one of them as are (apart from already mentioned) Fulham, Chelsea and Charlton. That said…we’re originally from Westminster, surely the most central borough?
Spuds Ground on 23:57 - Feb 7 with 1736 viewsSydneyRs

Spuds Ground on 23:12 - Feb 7 by GroveR

As this is a spurs ground thread the last time I was there was a corporate hospitality gig for a home game with Birmingham. All picked up for by a supplier. 3 courses, free booze, very nice.

Martin Chivers was doing the compere bit, much like Andy Sinton used to I guess, walking around all the tables, asking fans what they thought the score would be. He asked me and I said I didn't really care as I was a QPR fan and just there for a jolly. He bent down very close to my ear and spoke one word, in a loving - almost tender - whisper: "cùnt" - fair play.

That is superb
Spuds Ground on 00:35 - Feb 8 with 1701 viewsdannyblue

Went to Spurs v Man City earlier this season as a mate couldn't use his season ticket. Undeniably impressive ground, but it does come at a cost and I don't think it was just because I was a neutral. I very much felt like a spectator and everyone around me seemed that way too...it was a case of sitting back and being entertained, a bit like the theatre or the cinema. The downside of luxury perhaps. White Hart Lane was better, but even when I went there they booed at half time when they were losing even though they were playing well and putting a shift in. It's different.

At QPR I feel like a participant in the drama, surrounded by other partisan participants for the most part.
Spuds Ground on 07:22 - Feb 8 with 1605 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Have been for the NFL a few times and have been impressed by the ground as a whole. Lack of decent pubs around for sure. The facilities are good but the beer from the bottom machines always seem to break!
Would definitely compare it to more of an American ground in look and feel
Spuds Ground on 08:15 - Feb 8 with 1550 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Does it still take 2 hours to get away from the area? Orthodox_Hoop and I got a little tetchy trying to leave WHL a few years ago. (even our players walked)

All I wanted was a bloody beer in more salubrious surroundings.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Spuds Ground on 09:59 - Feb 8 with 1471 viewsBklynRanger

Spuds Ground on 11:54 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

I challenge the poster to name one stadium based in plush surrounds, Fulham apart.

Found the Stadium impressive but soulless the three times I’ve been there. Can’t say the same the area and urge the poster to visit the Latin American market for some pre match food instead of the £6.99 Chilli Houmous on toast next time.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 12:00]

Sorry off topic but is there much in that Latin American market Bazza? I've thought about making the trek in the past but wasn't sure if it's just a few mainly Colombian shops and places to eat. I believe they were about to get shut down but managed to avoid that.

The best Latin American restaurant I've found is hands down Lenos y Carbon, a Colombian place under the arches by Elephant and Castle.
Spuds Ground on 10:20 - Feb 8 with 1450 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Spuds Ground on 09:59 - Feb 8 by BklynRanger

Sorry off topic but is there much in that Latin American market Bazza? I've thought about making the trek in the past but wasn't sure if it's just a few mainly Colombian shops and places to eat. I believe they were about to get shut down but managed to avoid that.

The best Latin American restaurant I've found is hands down Lenos y Carbon, a Colombian place under the arches by Elephant and Castle.

I've only been there for the food, but it's great food, so i'd make the trip even if it was just for some scran.

They aren't quite safe either with the Labour council and Transport for London trying to exploit disagreements between businesses.

As with everything great in this city, use it or some cnt will build a soulless shithole on it! Never been to Lenos y Carbon. Shall investigate!

Closer to home I've noticed a few Brazilian restaurants opening up in Willesden Junction.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 10:20]
Spuds Ground on 10:26 - Feb 8 with 1436 viewsEsox_Lucius

Spuds Ground on 10:20 - Feb 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

I've only been there for the food, but it's great food, so i'd make the trip even if it was just for some scran.

They aren't quite safe either with the Labour council and Transport for London trying to exploit disagreements between businesses.

As with everything great in this city, use it or some cnt will build a soulless shithole on it! Never been to Lenos y Carbon. Shall investigate!

Closer to home I've noticed a few Brazilian restaurants opening up in Willesden Junction.

"Closer to home I've noticed a few Brazilian restaurants opening up in Willesden Junction." I think you'll find that those are personal grooming salons.

The grass is always greener.

Spuds Ground on 10:31 - Feb 8 with 1420 viewsBklynRanger

Yeah I will take a look, cheers. Those Brazilian places sound worth a look too. I've got a Brazilan friend who brings us chilli sauce from a fruit market he visits in Río when he's home - great flavour. Am sure he'd be interested in this. OK end of hijack, I'm fcuking starving now :)
Spuds Ground on 10:31 - Feb 8 with 1418 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Spuds Ground on 10:26 - Feb 8 by Esox_Lucius

"Closer to home I've noticed a few Brazilian restaurants opening up in Willesden Junction." I think you'll find that those are personal grooming salons.

That will explain why they threw me out for asking them to handle my meat carefully.
Spuds Ground on 12:35 - Feb 8 with 1327 viewsTheChef

That area / Harlesden borders seems to have become a Little Brazil in the last decade or so.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Spuds Ground on 12:42 - Feb 8 with 1314 views1MoreBrightonR

Been to the Spurs ground once. It's amazing, easily the best ground I;'ve been to in this country BUT the whole experience bored me to tears. It was pure US-style entertainment, and that's fine if I;m in the States, at a baseball game for an afternoon but If I wanted pure entertainment like that, I wouldn't be a QPR season ticket holder! It was all too slick, too nice, too much like a nice day out, which is tough, as there isn't much they can do about that. Having said that, I've been to the Hamburg ground and it was the same levels of facilities, but the atmosphere was incredible and it still had a real intense football feeling about it.

Regarding the area, I don't live far off and Tottenham is a bit of a dump, but like others have said, there are some great food options. Great African and West indian places, some really good south American places too.
Spuds Ground on 13:42 - Feb 8 with 1274 viewsNewBee

Spuds Ground on 11:01 - Feb 7 by CFW

Lot's of older men (50-60) walking down the road shouting as loud as possible 'Y** Army' - bloody embarrassing and totally unacceptable. Grow up people for god's sake.

I don't think you understand. After years of Chelsea and WHU fans hurling anti-Semitic abuse at Spurs fans eg "Gas the Yids", followed by a loud hissing noise, they adopted the name "Yid" thenselves as a badge of honour. (A bit like gays reclaiming the term "queer")

It's the same with fans of Ajax, another traditionally Jewish-owned club:
https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/football-why-tottenham-and-ajax-fans
Spuds Ground on 13:52 - Feb 8 with 1260 viewsNewBee

Spuds Ground on 18:27 - Feb 7 by joe90

Are you referring to the legendary Tottenham cheese room? I didn’t see it myself but did hear people talking about it…

Ha ha!

Seems there never was a Cheese Room, in fact Spurs deny that there was ever any plan for one, though I suspect that they dropped the idea when they saw the ridicule it was attracting:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/11/tottenham-new-stadium-no-cheese

Meanwhile, I can testify personally that the beer at Spurs is excellent - a distinct cut above any other big stadium I've been to (I say "big", because the Real Ale bar at Orient is also excellent, as is the supporters' bar at Burton Albion):

The stadium also features something not seen every day in a stadium, a microbrewery. Owned and operated by local brewer Beavertown, the brewery makes approximately 23,000 pints of beer per match. Another interesting feature for those who like to imbibe in alcoholic beverages is the Goal Line Bar. At 65 meters, the bar is the longest in Europe."
https://www.bdcnetwork.com/tottenham-hotspur-stadium-has-its-own-brewery-europes

All of which leads to matchday revenues of £6m a game, even without the cheese!
Spuds Ground on 14:00 - Feb 8 with 1244 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Spuds Ground on 13:52 - Feb 8 by NewBee

Ha ha!

Seems there never was a Cheese Room, in fact Spurs deny that there was ever any plan for one, though I suspect that they dropped the idea when they saw the ridicule it was attracting:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/11/tottenham-new-stadium-no-cheese

Meanwhile, I can testify personally that the beer at Spurs is excellent - a distinct cut above any other big stadium I've been to (I say "big", because the Real Ale bar at Orient is also excellent, as is the supporters' bar at Burton Albion):

The stadium also features something not seen every day in a stadium, a microbrewery. Owned and operated by local brewer Beavertown, the brewery makes approximately 23,000 pints of beer per match. Another interesting feature for those who like to imbibe in alcoholic beverages is the Goal Line Bar. At 65 meters, the bar is the longest in Europe."
https://www.bdcnetwork.com/tottenham-hotspur-stadium-has-its-own-brewery-europes

All of which leads to matchday revenues of £6m a game, even without the cheese!

I think the best beer I’ve had in a big stadium is Brighton. Lovely pint of Harvey’s Best. The pies were great there too.

The result less so…

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Spuds Ground on 14:33 - Feb 8 with 1196 viewsjoe90

Spuds Ground on 14:00 - Feb 8 by CliveWilsonSaid

I think the best beer I’ve had in a big stadium is Brighton. Lovely pint of Harvey’s Best. The pies were great there too.

The result less so…

100%

Was going to reply to NewBee saying exactly this!

@NewBee - I did enjoy a pint of Beaver Town, not bad at all.
Spuds Ground on 14:37 - Feb 8 with 1192 viewsnadera78

Spuds Ground on 13:42 - Feb 8 by NewBee

I don't think you understand. After years of Chelsea and WHU fans hurling anti-Semitic abuse at Spurs fans eg "Gas the Yids", followed by a loud hissing noise, they adopted the name "Yid" thenselves as a badge of honour. (A bit like gays reclaiming the term "queer")

It's the same with fans of Ajax, another traditionally Jewish-owned club:
https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/football-why-tottenham-and-ajax-fans

No, it you that doesn't understand. Jewish community groups have made it explicitly clear they don't like the word being used by Spurs fans, and yet it still continues.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024