Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report 16:00 - Mar 6 with 5100 viewsNorthernr

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report 6th Mar 2022 15:48
QPR turned a reasonable recovery from recent poor form into a demoralising disaster for their promotion push at home to Cardiff City on Saturday — 1-0 up and comfortable to 2-1 down and bereft in the blink of an eye. 17

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 16:17 - Mar 6 with 4100 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks Clive for getting that out so quickly.

As you say we're all hurting and have our own theories & won't all agree with each other.

Agree with most of that, disagree with some, but I'll just leave it there I think!

Cheers
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 16:33 - Mar 6 with 4024 viewsAntti_Heinola

Good report Clive.
For the first time in a long time, the team looked bereft and clearly I wasn't the only one who noticed there are starting to be niggles between players on the pitch now. I don't have a problem with that necessarily, team mates should give team mates kicks up their backsides if needed, but this felt more like irritated bickering and a bit of bewilderment at how we got ourselves into this position.
Gray doesn't help - makes a run, doesn't get ball, but instead of trying again, throws a strop and takes himself out of the game for a moment. Now he is often right, an earlier ball would be good more often, but as a striker you need to be prepared for that, and you need to keep concentrating and keep making runs, not throwing your arms about every time you don't get a through ball - particularly when on the occasion you are given the most perfect through ball of the season you spaff it wide. But Barbet and Dunne were arguing, Dickie looked like a lost little boy, Chair looked like someone had eaten his last Rolo, and not someone he loved, like Chris. Even the other week, Thomas and Amos's celebration seemed a bit muted given the circumstances, even if Lukie is not exactly the most demonstrative player you'll ever see.
We've spoken a lot about pivotal results or season defining games - the win at Derby, the win at Cov, the win v Albion. they all felt a bit like them at the time. But this one now feels season defining. We had to win yesterday. Had to. And we didn't get beaten by a team better than us. We just pissed it up the wall as confidence and belief drained out of us.

14 moths ago we looked relegation certainties. Then we had a good draw at Norwich, then Charlie came home and we beat Luton and then, slowly at first, but with increasing belief, we turned the season around. That time, it was the undoubted influence, calmness and quality of Stef and Charlie that had a big effect, along with Willock's blossoming and a successful change of formation. This time I cannot see where the spark will come from.

Bare bones.

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 17:59 - Mar 6 with 3765 viewsHadders

Our players may have lost form but Clive Whittingham never does: a biting, perceptive and darkly witty report as always. Obviously we're missing a goalscorer on song: Willock's beautiful pass deserved a goal, and how much does Gray earn not to hit the target then? I'm a natural optimist and note that for all our dip in form, somehow, (miraculously it seems to me) we are still in fifth place. The games we've lost lately have only been by the odd goal: with a bit (OK, a lot) more urgency to create chances and maybe a fit Dykes back, I see no reason why we can't recover our mojo and scrape into the playoffs. On their day these players have shown themselves to be capable of a play-off place and there's no manager in the division I'd rather have than Warburton: easy way schmeasy way, I was as cheesed off as anyone yesterday but am still relishing the run in.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2022 18:28]
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 18:55 - Mar 6 with 3618 views222gers

Spot-on report. The only morsel of comfort was Moses' display up until he was switched over to the other side to facilitate Albert's sub. As it was Albert had few chances to get into the game sadly.
I don't know, the team just looks devoid of any spark.
As said, is Hendricks' loan contingent on him being played every game provided he's fit ?
I was impressed with him at first but has his inclusion brought unrest ?
All good points Clive and food for thought.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:26 - Mar 6 with 3531 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Thanks Clive great stuff.

I got home last night going to post on here that second half we were playing as if we were 3-0 ahead. I was out-trumped by Warburton who correctly described it as if we were 5-0 up.

It was like watching 11 robot vacuum cleaners playing football in the second half. Utterly mindless.

Only positive I can take is that the Swansea side we used to take the piss out of went on to promotion not long after.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:30 - Mar 6 with 3510 viewsQPROslo

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 17:59 - Mar 6 by Hadders

Our players may have lost form but Clive Whittingham never does: a biting, perceptive and darkly witty report as always. Obviously we're missing a goalscorer on song: Willock's beautiful pass deserved a goal, and how much does Gray earn not to hit the target then? I'm a natural optimist and note that for all our dip in form, somehow, (miraculously it seems to me) we are still in fifth place. The games we've lost lately have only been by the odd goal: with a bit (OK, a lot) more urgency to create chances and maybe a fit Dykes back, I see no reason why we can't recover our mojo and scrape into the playoffs. On their day these players have shown themselves to be capable of a play-off place and there's no manager in the division I'd rather have than Warburton: easy way schmeasy way, I was as cheesed off as anyone yesterday but am still relishing the run in.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2022 18:28]

Yes, we are still 5th and plenty of good teams have bad spells and turn them around. Happens all the time and there's no reason why we can't do exactly that.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:33 - Mar 6 with 3496 viewsStanmiguel

Yes the players did seem at odds with one another yesterday. Normally they exchange nods and thumbs up all game.
Could it be the inclusion of Hendricks? The lads are usually full of esprit de corps.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:40 - Mar 6 with 3464 viewsNorthernr

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:30 - Mar 6 by QPROslo

Yes, we are still 5th and plenty of good teams have bad spells and turn them around. Happens all the time and there's no reason why we can't do exactly that.

Well there is a small reason - the fixtures from here on in are horrendous, given the way we're playing.
Login to get fewer ads

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:53 - Mar 6 with 3408 viewsQPROslo

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:40 - Mar 6 by Northernr

Well there is a small reason - the fixtures from here on in are horrendous, given the way we're playing.

We've generally done better against the better teams, so that may just help us.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:53 - Mar 6 with 3407 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I thought a 6 for NG seemed a low score but probably right. Classy player, makes the game look easy. Reminded me a bit of David Bardsley actually which is very unusual.

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 20:33 - Mar 6 with 3274 viewsNorthernr

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:53 - Mar 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

I thought a 6 for NG seemed a low score but probably right. Classy player, makes the game look easy. Reminded me a bit of David Bardsley actually which is very unusual.

I make you right mate and have upped him to a seven. I tried to suppress the Cardiff marks because I thought, as a team, they were basic, and only won the game because of our failings.

But I like Ng a lot. And I'm annoyed that he was allowed to go there, and Pickering to Blackburn, from Crewe, for that money, without us being involved. Exactly the sort of profile, age, potential of player we're meant to be going for, in the wing back positions where we're currently trying to eek out the last grains of Adomah and Wallace. Two big, big, big misses.

(Accepting that he actually played deeper and narrower than that yesterday, but still.)

This post has been edited by an administrator
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 20:43 - Mar 6 with 3220 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 20:33 - Mar 6 by Northernr

I make you right mate and have upped him to a seven. I tried to suppress the Cardiff marks because I thought, as a team, they were basic, and only won the game because of our failings.

But I like Ng a lot. And I'm annoyed that he was allowed to go there, and Pickering to Blackburn, from Crewe, for that money, without us being involved. Exactly the sort of profile, age, potential of player we're meant to be going for, in the wing back positions where we're currently trying to eek out the last grains of Adomah and Wallace. Two big, big, big misses.

(Accepting that he actually played deeper and narrower than that yesterday, but still.)

This post has been edited by an administrator

Yeah I thought that too he didn't strike me as a wingback. I can't really remember him leaving his own half.

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 20:45 - Mar 6 with 3211 viewsNorthernr

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 20:43 - Mar 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yeah I thought that too he didn't strike me as a wingback. I can't really remember him leaving his own half.

Yeh he played right of the three centre backs yesterday, but he's generally a wing back. They've moved him inside since they loaned the Leeds lad.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 21:42 - Mar 6 with 3034 viewsdixiedean

Was it not his appalling clearance that gave us our goal ? Minus at least a mark for that in my book . That was Sunday league
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 22:11 - Mar 6 with 2966 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 21:42 - Mar 6 by dixiedean

Was it not his appalling clearance that gave us our goal ? Minus at least a mark for that in my book . That was Sunday league

Yes it was his clearance for our goal.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2022 22:12]

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 22:12 - Mar 6 with 2952 viewsNorthernr

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 22:11 - Mar 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yes it was his clearance for our goal.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2022 22:12]

See, not easy this player rating lark is it?
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 22:14 - Mar 6 with 2933 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 22:12 - Mar 6 by Northernr

See, not easy this player rating lark is it?

I did say 6 was probably right 🤷‍♂️

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 22:42 - Mar 6 with 2846 viewsdaveB

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:40 - Mar 6 by Northernr

1 win changes everything imo but we're gonna need to get it next week to stand a chance as we'll be out of the playoffs in all likelihood before we kick a ball again as teams around us are playing twice before Sunday. I'm not sure we will win next week and gut feeling is we will miss out but this hasn't become a bad squad over night and as quickly as we've fallen into this slump we could get out of it.

Yesterday was such a soul crushing game, I thought we were really good for 55 minutes then so bad for the rest of it
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 22:43 - Mar 6 with 2845 viewsNorthernr

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 22:42 - Mar 6 by daveB

1 win changes everything imo but we're gonna need to get it next week to stand a chance as we'll be out of the playoffs in all likelihood before we kick a ball again as teams around us are playing twice before Sunday. I'm not sure we will win next week and gut feeling is we will miss out but this hasn't become a bad squad over night and as quickly as we've fallen into this slump we could get out of it.

Yesterday was such a soul crushing game, I thought we were really good for 55 minutes then so bad for the rest of it

Yeh, mate, all of that.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 23:19 - Mar 6 with 2772 viewsted_hendrix

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 22:42 - Mar 6 by daveB

Someone might kill me for being boring and posting the same thing but the play offs are still ours to lose.
Yestardays crap result is history.

We go again.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 00:07 - Mar 7 with 2700 viewsLoftgirl

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 19:30 - Mar 6 by QPROslo

It's the hope that kills you.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 01:03 - Mar 7 with 2640 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Magnificent piece again and for those of us not able to watch the games its our lifeline.
Who decides the free kick or corner taker ? and if the result is always useless why is that taker not removed from his duties right away.
I watch Liverpool discuss this before every free kick in a dangerous spot and its always Arnold ,Salah or another player sometimes Henderson sorting it out.
We need to score goals from those set pieces its a vital part of the game and we are failing badly right now.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 08:00 - Mar 7 with 2428 viewsTheChef

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 23:19 - Mar 6 by ted_hendrix

Someone might kill me for being boring and posting the same thing but the play offs are still ours to lose.

We go again.

Absolutely Ted.

It ain't over till it's over.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 09:56 - Mar 7 with 2253 viewsdaveB

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 23:19 - Mar 6 by ted_hendrix

We go again.

I'm still in the Kurt Zouma phase of the 7 phases of grief after a home defeat, I imagine by Thursday I'll be thinking the same as you
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 10:24 - Mar 7 with 2178 viewsterryb

I'm with you Clive about Hendrick.

I can't say that I've seen him do anything much wrong ( giving the ball away yes, but so as everyone else), but his signing has upset the balance of the team. And possibly the spirit. He is not an improvement on the players that were already at the club & Ball is a better option if we are playing a second holding midfielder.

I admit to not rating him prior to him signing for us & that I probably watch his performances with a bias against him. He certainly showed nothing in his Burnley performances that impressed.

The reverse to my bias is that many who are in the pro Hendrick camp are basing that on his appearances for the Republic of Ireland, rather than his clubs.

Of course, it is not his fault that we wanted to sign him & I don't think we can complain about his attitude/workrate. He will be gone from the club in two months, but we will still have players that are just as good & still annoyed about being sidelined for him.

EDIT: Having just read comments form other fans regarding dismissing Warburton, I want to add that I'm fully in favour of retaining him for as long as possible.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2022 10:32]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024