Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday's Game ? 19:00 - Sep 8 with 27664 viewsconnell10

I presume all football games will be cancelled on Saturday.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Saturday's Game ? on 22:13 - Sep 10 with 1506 viewstoboboly

Saturday's Game ? on 21:42 - Sep 10 by ChrisNW6

Football is the national sport and I think the decision to postpone all football was made as a national mark of respect.

Other sports were postponed on Friday to show respect so it would have been strange if football did nothing.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 21:44]

Sorry Chris but I don't think that makes sense. The Friday games were postponed like other sports but then all the other sports decided to carry on, football didn't, playing today in the vast majority of cases wouldn't have been disrespectful, especially non-league and kids football.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Saturday's Game ? on 22:28 - Sep 10 with 1460 viewsNorthantsHoop

Correct decision as a mark of respect to postpone today's game. The Millwall game is still planned to go ahead but in their club statement mention that a drain on Police resources and ensuring sufficient stewarding is being considered so the game can go ahead. The same could apply to our game next Saturday as London will get even busier closer to the funeral.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 22:34]
Saturday's Game ? on 22:31 - Sep 10 with 1449 viewsJAY

Saturday's Game ? on 22:28 - Sep 10 by NorthantsHoop

Correct decision as a mark of respect to postpone today's game. The Millwall game is still planned to go ahead but in their club statement mention that a drain on Police resources and ensuring sufficient stewarding is being considered so the game can go ahead. The same could apply to our game next Saturday as London will get even busier closer to the funeral.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 22:34]

What are the police going to be doing sitting at home crying themselves into a corgi soup? Embarrassing
Saturday's Game ? on 22:32 - Sep 10 with 1448 viewsGloryHunter

Saturday's Game ? on 10:12 - Sep 10 by ted_hendrix

*There’s now talk about having to postpone next weekend’s games as well.*

Seriously?

Today's postponents was bad enough but with a shrug of the shoulders we just as usual put up with It, there quickly needs to be a line drawn under It, many people and businesses are going to be 'out of pocket' this weekend and It really doesn't have to happen again next weekend.

The sympathy from the the country shown since last Thursday afternoon's news broke has been admirable but that will soon disappear, It's amost like a 'calm down' 'calm down' everybody and let's think about this properly before we make any rash decisions.

I honestly can't believe they'll postpone next weekends fixtures too, It'll be madness and for what purpose?

I'm running out of mourn already.

I'm running out of mourn already
I'm with you, Ted. I'm all mourned out. And we're not the only ones. Ten days of this is going to be too much. It's not 1901 any more.
Saturday's Game ? on 22:46 - Sep 10 with 1397 viewsNorthantsHoop

Saturday's Game ? on 22:31 - Sep 10 by JAY

What are the police going to be doing sitting at home crying themselves into a corgi soup? Embarrassing

All about logistics, resources and crowd management, the authorities have to look at the potential risk of a great number of people from all over the country flooding into the Capital over the weekend and being safely managed.
Saturday's Game ? on 00:11 - Sep 11 with 1289 viewsconnell10

Stewart Broad just summed it up , sport brings people together, oh unless your a football fan that is !!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Saturday's Game ? on 08:20 - Sep 11 with 1194 viewsTGRRRSSS

Saturday's Game ? on 22:46 - Sep 10 by NorthantsHoop

All about logistics, resources and crowd management, the authorities have to look at the potential risk of a great number of people from all over the country flooding into the Capital over the weekend and being safely managed.

I can see next weekend being a problem with logistics, but ti makes this weekend's decision even stupider.

Of course come January when Klopp et al our moaning about congestion nobody will be talking about the ridiculous decision that was made, but I do like others question whether they were unofficially asked to do so and also take the hit (ELF,PL, FA) rather than the Police or whoever.

I cannot see top level football in London this weekend as people will be descending in from everywhere.

BY top level I mean anything EFL and probably down to conference south.
Saturday's Game ? on 08:47 - Sep 11 with 1137 viewsRanger_Things

Saturday's Game ? on 22:46 - Sep 10 by NorthantsHoop

I still don’t buy that or as others have mentioned that the authorities were scared of some fans reactions. This seems like a PR thing, or more specifically they were scared of bad press. Otherwise why cancel all grassroots football and why not just games geographically effected on particular days.
They’ve cocked up, royally.
Login to get fewer ads

Saturday's Game ? on 22:14 - Sep 11 with 923 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Anybody else hear about Eton College ignoring the football ban this weekend and going ahead with their fixture? I'm not sure who they were playing against.

I'm not even going to criticise it. I'm surprised more teams didn't ignore the FA. Maybe they did. Wouldn't be hard to find a pitch!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Saturday's Game ? on 22:21 - Sep 11 with 893 viewsGloryHunter

Saturday's Game ? on 22:14 - Sep 11 by CliveWilsonSaid

Anybody else hear about Eton College ignoring the football ban this weekend and going ahead with their fixture? I'm not sure who they were playing against.

I'm not even going to criticise it. I'm surprised more teams didn't ignore the FA. Maybe they did. Wouldn't be hard to find a pitch!

"Eton College condemned for ignoring FA's ban on football after Queen's death"
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/09/11/eton-college-ignores-fas-ban-foo

Eton has been condemned for playing two football matches in defiance of the postponement of all fixtures as a mark of respect following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.
Britain’s most famous public school, which has had long-standing links with the royal family, played host to Rossall School just hours after games from the Premier League right down to grass-roots level were called off.
Photographs from Saturday’s matches emerged in a Twitter post from @RossallSport, which showed minute’s silences taking place before they kicked off in honour of the country’s longest-reigning monarch.
The post was later deleted, as was a prior one on both Facebook and Twitter recording a visit by Rossall’s footballers to Windsor Castle en route to nearby Eton.
Among those to raise the alarm was Peter Daly, who runs men’s football team Talking Toffees FC and an associated podcast.
He told Telegraph Sport: “Whilst kids up and down the country were unable to play football this weekend, it seems the same rules don’t apply for Eton.
“It’s the latest example of how the privileged have complete disregard for the rules we’re all supposed to follow.”
Julian Knight MP, the chairman of the Digital, Culture, Media & Sport select committee, said it was for individual sports to decide whether to postpone matches but added: “It seems very strange that Eton choose to play on while millions across the country have been denied playing or watching games. This is a rather embarrassing episode for Britain’s most famous public school.”
Eton said in a statement: “All at Eton College mourn the death of Her Majesty the Queen, remember with gratitude her extraordinary service and offer their deepest sympathy and condolences to the Royal Family. The whole school gathered together on Friday morning to pay their respects and chapel services were held.
“Two friendly football games were played with Rossall School on Saturday. A minute’s silence was observed by players and spectators beforehand. These trial games formed part of the school’s pre-season training programme and it was understood that they were not covered by the FA postponement as they were not FA fixtures.”
The Telegraph has been told the FA, the Independent Schools Football Association and the English Schools’ Football Association have no jurisdiction over such matches.
Eton was founded in 1440 by King Henry VI and was attended by both the new Prince of Wales and the Duke of Sussex.
Rossall, a private boarding school based near Fleetwood, Lancashire, was founded in 1844.
The cancellation of elite and grassroots football — and in particular youth matches — following the death of the late Queen has proven highly controversial.
The opposite decision was taken in rugby union, cricket and most other sports.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024