Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM 16:13 - Oct 24 with 16995 viewsJuzzie

He was elected without a vote from party members which makes me wonder why we had to have party members voting last time and not this time?

UK's first British Asian prime minister and at 42 is the youngest PM in over 200 years.

How long will this one last?

(ironically "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC is blaring out of my speakers as I typed this thread!)

Earlier, Boris Johnson pulled out of the leadership race, saying he had the support needed to stand but it would not be "the right thing to do".

This coming from a man who has no idea of what that even means. More like he didn't have the support and had to save face. Just fk off and wither away, please.

[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 16:18]
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 20:44 - Oct 24 with 2177 viewsLazyFan

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 20:27 - Oct 24 by QPR_John

I’m looking forward to the next Labour government changing the law making it compulsory for a GE if a PM leaves office. Maybe make it mandatory fora by-election if a sitting member changes parties.

Starmer won't do that, he's a proper Big Business sellout.
He will even bring back austerity under another name, but it will be hard cuts from Starmer.

zzzzzzzzzz

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 20:59 - Oct 24 with 2136 viewsDevonwhitewhitewhite

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 18:20 - Oct 24 by dmm

In the last three months the UK will have had three Prime Ministers.

In the last four months it’s had five Chancellors.

The Govt has made an utter mess of the economy.

Millions face the worst winter of their lives.

And over 99% of the population continues to be ignored.

This is not democracy in any way, shape or form.

Er yes it is. Its a Representative Democracy. So you vote for a Member of Parliament and the party that can command a majority of members of Parliament forms a Government. At the moment there are a lot more Conservative Members of Parliament than other parties so they are the Government. They can change their Leader as much as they want because there are more of them. Its not undemocratic, its how it works. In a couple of years time there may be more Labour Members of Parliament. In which case they can do this themselves. Which they did with Gordon Brown if you remember. So Starmer, Drakeford, Sturgeon etc. howling for a General Election know there is no chance, its just pointless posturing. But the real point about Representative Democracy is that it is a buffer between the public and doing something truly stupid. Which is why Referenda are a truly terrible idea. Doesn't always work though.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 21:49 - Oct 24 with 2024 viewsSydneyRs

Probably the least terrible of the terrible options and thankfully it isn't that moron Johnson.

James O'Brien put it well in that Sunak will be awful, but at least in a conventional way.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 21:58 - Oct 24 with 2008 viewscolinallcars

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 20:59 - Oct 24 by Devonwhitewhitewhite

Er yes it is. Its a Representative Democracy. So you vote for a Member of Parliament and the party that can command a majority of members of Parliament forms a Government. At the moment there are a lot more Conservative Members of Parliament than other parties so they are the Government. They can change their Leader as much as they want because there are more of them. Its not undemocratic, its how it works. In a couple of years time there may be more Labour Members of Parliament. In which case they can do this themselves. Which they did with Gordon Brown if you remember. So Starmer, Drakeford, Sturgeon etc. howling for a General Election know there is no chance, its just pointless posturing. But the real point about Representative Democracy is that it is a buffer between the public and doing something truly stupid. Which is why Referenda are a truly terrible idea. Doesn't always work though.

It would be very odd if the opposition parties didn't call for a GE. They obviously know they won't get it but to stay silent, well.
I think we've had a narrow escape. Sunak is capable and is head and shoulders above the others that were in the running in the two contests.
Luckily Penny Mordant stood down. Had the vote gone to the the Tory party members, I doubt if Sunak would have won.
My conservative friends say people would vote for a donkey if it had a Labour rosette on.
I say those Conservative members would vote for Billy Goat Gruff if it had a blue rosette on.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:06 - Oct 24 with 1991 viewsQPR_Jim

Is it not undemocratic if the party pivots away from their original manifesto as Truss did with the mini-budget? The whole leadership contest last time was candidates making pledges to appease party members only, with no regard for what the general public would like or what's best for the country.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:15 - Oct 24 with 1971 viewsdmm

The system may be called a Representative Democracy but, of course, the FPTP electoral system is anything but representative of the votes people cast.

The way the Tories run the country doesn't reflect the views of the country. No one voted for the economy to be crashed in the way Truss recklessly brought about - not even the tiny number of Tory members who voted her in.

According to at least one poll, a majority of the public quite rightly wants a general election right now. Will they get it? Of course not.

Representative Democracy my derriere.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:25 - Oct 24 with 1952 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 18:11 - Oct 24 by Hayesender

His speech looked like a hostage video

And it wasn’t clear to me whether he was the kidnapper or the kidnapped!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:37 - Oct 24 with 1921 viewsderbyhoop

Constitutionally accurate.
But it doesnt reflect the views of the voters.
Is having a vote every 5 years, in an FPTP system, the only valid form of democracy?

The coronation of Rishi is, probably, the best option for the UK, after the last 7 weeks of chaos.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:38 - Oct 24 with 1915 viewsQPR_John

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:15 - Oct 24 by dmm

The system may be called a Representative Democracy but, of course, the FPTP electoral system is anything but representative of the votes people cast.

The way the Tories run the country doesn't reflect the views of the country. No one voted for the economy to be crashed in the way Truss recklessly brought about - not even the tiny number of Tory members who voted her in.

According to at least one poll, a majority of the public quite rightly wants a general election right now. Will they get it? Of course not.

Representative Democracy my derriere.

“ According to at least one poll, a majority of the public quite rightly wants a general election right now. Will they get it? Of course not. ”

It would a more legitimate call if there had been a growing demand for a change in the law to allow a GE when a PM leaves office. I may be wrong but i cannot remember Starmer asking for a change since he became leader same goes for all other opposition parties calling for a GE
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:49 - Oct 24 with 1890 viewsDevonwhitewhitewhite

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:37 - Oct 24 by derbyhoop

Constitutionally accurate.
But it doesnt reflect the views of the voters.
Is having a vote every 5 years, in an FPTP system, the only valid form of democracy?

The coronation of Rishi is, probably, the best option for the UK, after the last 7 weeks of chaos.

But it did reflect the views of the voters when they voted. In the US there's a vote every 4 years, historically that's about where we have been time wise. Any less than that is obviously chaos. And FPTP has obvious flaws but PR leads to coalitions that have ugly policies pushed through as the price for taking part. Look at what's happening in Sweden and Italy. Do you really want hard line left or right wing politicians having a disproportionate say? That's not democracy. Or single issue politicians like Sturgeon? We have the oldest democracy in the World, its by no means perfect but its probably the best out there. The problem with our democracy is only when people who lose don't accept the result. Which is why referenda are such a lousy idea. They never settle anything, really. If you don't like the Conservatives, vote Labour next time. If enough people do then, pa-ding, a Labour Government.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:49 - Oct 24 with 1887 viewsQPR_John

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 21:49 - Oct 24 by SydneyRs

Probably the least terrible of the terrible options and thankfully it isn't that moron Johnson.

James O'Brien put it well in that Sunak will be awful, but at least in a conventional way.

“ James O'Brien put it well in that Sunak will be awful, but at least in a conventional way.”

If O’Brian said night followed day I would have to check.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 23:04 - Oct 24 with 1853 viewsDevonwhitewhitewhite

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:38 - Oct 24 by QPR_John

“ According to at least one poll, a majority of the public quite rightly wants a general election right now. Will they get it? Of course not. ”

It would a more legitimate call if there had been a growing demand for a change in the law to allow a GE when a PM leaves office. I may be wrong but i cannot remember Starmer asking for a change since he became leader same goes for all other opposition parties calling for a GE

We don't vote for a PM in this country. We don't have a Presidential System. We vote for a Member of Parliament to represent us. Historically the MPs then chose a Leader who then chose an Administration. The massive problem that currently exists is that all the major parties have decided, in the name of "Democracy" to allow the Membership to have a significant say in choosing the Leader which drives a coach and horses through Representational Democracy. This is why we end up with Corbyn or Truss. This is what needs to stop. If its MPs choosing a Leader then you are represented. If its Party Members, you aren't (unless you're a Member). And, actually, the Conservatives have found a way to stop it. Sort it out in Westminster. Finally, the main difference between Labour and Conservative is that the Conservatives are utterly, swiftly ruthless in getting rid of idiots (Truss, Ian Duncan-Smith) whereas Labours fools have a tendency to linger (Corbyn, Kinnock).
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 23:12 - Oct 24 with 1833 viewsessextaxiboy

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:49 - Oct 24 by QPR_John

“ James O'Brien put it well in that Sunak will be awful, but at least in a conventional way.”

Exactly, check out his judgement on the Iraq war or "Nick" of Westminster abuse hoax fame.

Point it out to him and he will block you . Spends his days claiming outright vindication on Brexit when we have been out for just the 2 years of a pandemic .
An insecure egomaniac IMO
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 23:41 - Oct 24 with 1803 viewsParkRoyalR

As opposed to Boris or Nigel where you wouldn't need to check as you would immediately know it was complete bullshit.

Nigel promptly deleted his tweet lauding Truss's budget as the best since 1986, even Truss realised she couldn't grow the economy without relaxing immigration targets, comedy level clowns.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 03:07 - Oct 25 with 1725 viewsSydneyRs

He's pretty much the only one in the media consistently calling out the brexit and other nonsense for what it is, an enormous failure that is damaging the country with neither of the major parties having the guts to publicly address it.

As long as you're fact checking "Boris", Farage, Rees-Mogg and others too then that's great. Always good to be informed.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2022 3:09]
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 03:29 - Oct 25 with 1719 viewsLadbrokeR

He will be profoundly disconnected from ordinary people and based only on his acceptance speech lack charisma. There is perhaps another issue that won’t go away with the brexit loving English nationalist faction of the parliamentary party he’s Asian. He’ll manage to steady the the markets by overseeing Hunts homework. At the the same time they’ll pursue their neo liberal course of cutting public services or rather austerity mark 2. I don’t think he’ll unite the Tories. Ii predict an general election sooner rather than later.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 06:13 - Oct 25 with 1640 viewsCamberleyR

Yes, and we all know he's hostage to the ERG, the party within a party. Did anyone see that puffed up, pompous little weasel Tiny Francois with three of his cohorts in the Commons lobby state they "spoke with both candidates but were unable to endorse either of them but they will unite behind whoever wins"
How magnanimous of him...

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 06:45 - Oct 25 with 1614 viewsNorthantsHoop

At least Sunak is a serious politician after the last 2 jokers as PM. The Tories are a mess and have been since the Brexit vote, most importantly at the moment is to steady the country and the economy, hopefully Sunak will do that, he has credibility with the markets. Heading for an election sooner rather than later, thought it might be before Xmas, but more likely to be in Spring 2023.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 07:41 - Oct 25 with 1537 viewsDWQPR

Exactly. The bloke spends half his broadcast time promoting his next book that nobody buys, blocks anyone that has an opposing view to him, making his show seem like a James O’Brien love in. Biggest egotist on radio and without doubt the most boring person that ever lived.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 07:44 - Oct 25 with 1537 viewsLadbrokeR

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 17:31 - Oct 24 by Lblock

I hear all that but........ she's got a cracking pair on her.

As for Rishi -- he was my choice even before the Peroxide Moron was ousted. I liked the cut of his jib over Lockdown(s) and for me a man/lady with a handle on the economy will always be the right choice.

I wish him well in his two years before the blue wall turns into a blue rinse and disappears down the drain

L Block political insight that we’ve come to expect especially the first sentence which can’t be denied.. BTW I left you a message.
Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 08:30 - Oct 25 with 1480 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 20:27 - Oct 24 by QPR_John

I’m looking forward to the next Labour government changing the law making it compulsory for a GE if a PM leaves office. Maybe make it mandatory fora by-election if a sitting member changes parties.

It’s a tricky one!

If a GE were required after a PM changes, I wonder if the Tories would have changed either of the last two idiots, out of fear of being walloped in a GE?

For me the place that needs huge reform, is the HoL. By reform I mean drop it altogether and make a second government chamber without this stupid patronage system. Seems to be full of old codgers and undeserved cronies appointed by parties as a glorified backhander. I wonder if it might be more democratic if the make up of the HoL was based on PR, determined by the popular vote in a GE.

Appointments should not be for life, but change per election and ideally, candidates to sit in the new chamber should have demonstrable public service/value etc. as opposed to merely being big donors.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 09:59 - Oct 25 with 1348 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 06:45 - Oct 25 by NorthantsHoop

At least Sunak is a serious politician after the last 2 jokers as PM. The Tories are a mess and have been since the Brexit vote, most importantly at the moment is to steady the country and the economy, hopefully Sunak will do that, he has credibility with the markets. Heading for an election sooner rather than later, thought it might be before Xmas, but more likely to be in Spring 2023.

I think June 2023 is most likely. The King’s coronation is in May so that probably rules out any time before that although I guess April is a possibility. June gives Sunak time to form his policies and present them to the public which is only fair. It means another period of stagnation and inaction but apart from the last month or so we’ve had that for sometime anyway.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 10:22 - Oct 25 with 1307 viewsEsox_Lucius

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 22:49 - Oct 24 by Devonwhitewhitewhite

But it did reflect the views of the voters when they voted. In the US there's a vote every 4 years, historically that's about where we have been time wise. Any less than that is obviously chaos. And FPTP has obvious flaws but PR leads to coalitions that have ugly policies pushed through as the price for taking part. Look at what's happening in Sweden and Italy. Do you really want hard line left or right wing politicians having a disproportionate say? That's not democracy. Or single issue politicians like Sturgeon? We have the oldest democracy in the World, its by no means perfect but its probably the best out there. The problem with our democracy is only when people who lose don't accept the result. Which is why referenda are such a lousy idea. They never settle anything, really. If you don't like the Conservatives, vote Labour next time. If enough people do then, pa-ding, a Labour Government.

There is no socialist Labour party any more; we only have red Tory or Blue Tory as options as it stands. The Forde Report and the 4 pt. Labour Lives documentaries have exposed Starmer and his quisling colleagues for what they are. A knight of the realm who is a member of the Trilateral Commission is NOT the historical figure one would find in charge of the Labour party.
It is noticeable that the media have refrained from the lying, abusive character assassination campaign they employed to stop Corbyn, so the the question why? is valid here. They know he is going to change nothing and is only holding the position until the blue Tories get back in power. With all the political carnage taking place over the last year an opposition leader should have been chewing them up and spitting out the pieces but all we have had is a mild rebuke and Labour members whipped to abstain in support of Tory bills.
Hopefully the Tories will carry on refusing to call a GE and all the Labour member expelled by Starmer will form a more centre left party with some of the old socialist/ humanitarian principles at its core. One can only hope PR is introduced too. An overwhelming majority for the Labour party in an election will prove just as ruinous as the overwhelming majority for the Tories has proved to be.

The grass is always greener.

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 10:29 - Oct 25 with 1284 viewsSonofpugwash

Not A Robot.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 10:44 - Oct 25 with 1248 viewsJuzzie

Rishi Sunak is to be the next PM on 07:41 - Oct 25 by DWQPR

Exactly. The bloke spends half his broadcast time promoting his next book that nobody buys, blocks anyone that has an opposing view to him, making his show seem like a James O’Brien love in. Biggest egotist on radio and without doubt the most boring person that ever lived.

I get that J O'B can be frustrating but surely what he does it not a bad thing? People phone up going on about this, that and the other and (from what I've seen) all he asks is for examples. Rarely can anyone give any. They're probably just repeating parrot fashion what they've read somewhere without actually any depth, just a headline type of knowledge base.
What it illustrates is people don't really know much about anything.

An old boss at work was like this. I'd moan about something and she ask for examples. I usually struggled to give more than one or two and she'd just say "it's not really a problem, is it?". It usually wasn't, I was just being moany for moany's sake.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024