Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do we cut the players salary in half 02:05 - Mar 6 with 4874 viewstoreqpr

We need to do this in a season or two.Championship or league 1.How and where do we get new players ?
How do we cut the players salary in half on 13:25 - Mar 6 with 993 viewsGloucs_R

How do we cut the players salary in half on 12:11 - Mar 6 by dannyblue

It's all so unsustainable as it stands. It saddens me to say it, but I think you need to scrap the academy. And scrap the staff bloat. Do those two things and I think you can have a sensible budget while still having a competitive team.

If income is £22m, and you want to get wages to 75% of income, then you're aiming for £16.5m. That's actually quite a lot to play with.

To get there:
Run a first team squad of 20 (half on £15k pw, half on £7.5k pw)
Run a B team of 20 (average £2k pw)
Scrap the youth teams
Average Champ manager is c. £20k pw
Have one GK coach across both teams (ideally also double as 3rd choice keeper), 2 more coaches for the first team, 3 more for the second team = 6 (average £2k pw)
3 Analysts @ £2k = £6kpw
3 Recruitment @2k = £6k pw
3 Physios @2k = £6k pw

Remember £2kpw is over £100k per year. A good salary and plenty of young hungry people would want that. £15k pw is a very competitive championship wage.

Add that all up and your wage bill is £16.4m.

What are we currently spending on that we really need over all this?

(I have no idea of real salaries and coaching structures, of course, but I wanted to do an exercise in plausibility....My assumption is that non-football staff wages can be excluded, just like stadium and training ground expenditure...if not then you need to reduce that elite group of players in the first team or run a smaller B team and fill gaps with trialists to hit the target).

Sorry to link to such a rag, but this suggets the figures aren't way off: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8262315/Physios-191-000-kit-m
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 12:18]

Excellent analysis. I would ask if we really need 40 players when you're trying to cut costs.

First team 20 players
2 GK
2RB
2LB
4CB
7MID
3FWDS

B team, 10 - 12 players. Plus 5 from the first team to keep them fit.

Are we in an actual B league?

Poll: Are we staying up?

How do we cut the players salary in half on 13:33 - Mar 6 with 956 viewsNewBee

How do we cut the players salary in half on 10:16 - Mar 6 by monners1969

I guess another option is to see how we can increase revenue. I notice the side story that Ealing Trailfinders (Championship Rugby club who cant get in to Premier due to ground) could be merging with Welsh Team (Ospreys) to get in the United Rugby Championship (clubs from Ireland Scotland Wales Italy and South Africa play in it)....

Could be an interesting Ground Share option to uptick the income from LR? Pretty sure stewarding and policing costs are way lower for rugby...?

As for cutting costs - We have to stop the addiction to Loans and play our players that we own and find out f the can hack it more quickly. We are currently Pi55ing so much money away to Loans its frightening... This season has been the worst imo none of the loans have made a sustained positive impact on the team..

Re renting out LR to a rugby club, obviously every little helps, but even assuming Trailfinders got into the URC - and it might just be a bargaining ploy against Premiership Rugby - I can't see how they could/would pay very much at all.

Afaik Brentford don't get very much from London Irish and they surely get bigger crowds (8k-ish?) in PR than Trailfinders could hope to get in the URC.

Assume they got, say, 4k average crowds at £25 a pop, for a generous 20 home games a season, that's £2m a season. And with TV money and spomnsorship etc only being a fraction of what football generates, that all leaves very little over for renting a ground after you've paid a 35 man(?) squad of professional, or semi-pro players.

In short, professional rugby in GB is a financial basket-case, with a club like Trailfinders, playing in a lesser championship, even less sustainable than their PR rivals, where even historic, established clubs like WASP's and Worcester have gone down the plughole.

Oh, and sharing with rugby doesn't half bugger up the pitch, either.

P.S. So long as Bees were still in the Premier League, I could well see them not renewing the London Irish lease when the time comes - looking increasingly like more trouble than it's worth.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 13:36 - Mar 6 with 948 viewsterryb

How do we cut the players salary in half on 12:54 - Mar 6 by derbyhoop

We're probably slightly better, financially, in 2022/23 as we released plenty of expensive players and didn't pay single transfer fee for anybody who came in.
I find it hard to believe that Laird, Iroegbunam, Robert's, Richard's and Lowe earn more, collectively, than Sanderson, Hendrick, Gray, MacCallum and Odubajo.

Saying that, it would be hard to justify retaining any of the players who will be out of contract this Summer. Unless they are prepared to take a significant pay cut. I suspect we will also need to sell 1 or 2 for whatever we can get. Chair and Dieng being the most obvious ones.

The worry is that, even if we stay in the Championship, next season's team is likely to be considerably weaker. Unless there is the best recruitment we've ever known.

"I find it hard to believe that Laird, Iroegbunam, Robert's, Richard's and Lowe earn more, collectively, than Sanderson, Hendrick, Gray, MacCallum and Odubajo."

I can certainly believe that, especially as I think it has been said that Newcastle covered all of Hendrick's wage. Odubajo wasn't a loan either, so he shouldn't be included in this comparison. I would also be surprised if Clarke-Salter & Balogun don't cost more than Wallace & Barbet.

We've certainly saved on Austin, but I doubt that wages have decreased much. We might also have increased the number of coaches employed, but I don't know if this would be the case.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 13:41 - Mar 6 with 931 viewsmonners1969

How do we cut the players salary in half on 13:33 - Mar 6 by NewBee

Re renting out LR to a rugby club, obviously every little helps, but even assuming Trailfinders got into the URC - and it might just be a bargaining ploy against Premiership Rugby - I can't see how they could/would pay very much at all.

Afaik Brentford don't get very much from London Irish and they surely get bigger crowds (8k-ish?) in PR than Trailfinders could hope to get in the URC.

Assume they got, say, 4k average crowds at £25 a pop, for a generous 20 home games a season, that's £2m a season. And with TV money and spomnsorship etc only being a fraction of what football generates, that all leaves very little over for renting a ground after you've paid a 35 man(?) squad of professional, or semi-pro players.

In short, professional rugby in GB is a financial basket-case, with a club like Trailfinders, playing in a lesser championship, even less sustainable than their PR rivals, where even historic, established clubs like WASP's and Worcester have gone down the plughole.

Oh, and sharing with rugby doesn't half bugger up the pitch, either.

P.S. So long as Bees were still in the Premier League, I could well see them not renewing the London Irish lease when the time comes - looking increasingly like more trouble than it's worth.

True enough - Albeit URC Qualification rules less than Prem - I guess the other thing at play is Trailfinders owner (who is ambitious and pretty wealthy).

But youre right English rugby is a total basket case currently..

Probably a no go - but anything is worth considering I guess
How do we cut the players salary in half on 14:35 - Mar 6 with 834 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Given market forces it's whimsical to think that QPR could build a competitive Championship squad on half the current wage bill (assuming QPR are still in the Championship). The more likely solution is to increase revenue, whether that be through another Eze type sale or promotion to the PL.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 14:52 - Mar 6 with 814 viewsTheChef

How do we cut the players salary in half on 13:25 - Mar 6 by Gloucs_R

Excellent analysis. I would ask if we really need 40 players when you're trying to cut costs.

First team 20 players
2 GK
2RB
2LB
4CB
7MID
3FWDS

B team, 10 - 12 players. Plus 5 from the first team to keep them fit.

Are we in an actual B league?

Aston Villa won the League using 14 players all season.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

How do we cut the players salary in half on 15:18 - Mar 6 with 790 viewsessextaxiboy

Half the dressing room on double the wages of the other half , not really a recipe for harmony .
How do we cut the players salary in half on 15:21 - Mar 6 with 788 viewsBAWHoops

How do we cut the players salary in half on 15:18 - Mar 6 by essextaxiboy

Half the dressing room on double the wages of the other half , not really a recipe for harmony .

But that's different contracts given out at different times.
Dieng signed his when he was just breaking into the first team. Chair signed his a few months after Eze left. They weren't what they are now

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Login to get fewer ads

How do we cut the players salary in half on 15:31 - Mar 6 with 773 viewsderbyhoop

How do we cut the players salary in half on 13:36 - Mar 6 by terryb

"I find it hard to believe that Laird, Iroegbunam, Robert's, Richard's and Lowe earn more, collectively, than Sanderson, Hendrick, Gray, MacCallum and Odubajo."

I can certainly believe that, especially as I think it has been said that Newcastle covered all of Hendrick's wage. Odubajo wasn't a loan either, so he shouldn't be included in this comparison. I would also be surprised if Clarke-Salter & Balogun don't cost more than Wallace & Barbet.

We've certainly saved on Austin, but I doubt that wages have decreased much. We might also have increased the number of coaches employed, but I don't know if this would be the case.

Take the point about Odubajo being perm rather than loan.
He was released, though. Alongside 3 keepers, Dominic Ball and Lee Wallace.
Although Roberts & Lowe are probably on good money, I'm not sure that would apply to Tim nor Richards.
6 out and 4 in ( Paal, JCS, Balogun and now Martin) should make some difference.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

How do we cut the players salary in half on 16:18 - Mar 6 with 734 viewsterryb

How do we cut the players salary in half on 15:31 - Mar 6 by derbyhoop

Take the point about Odubajo being perm rather than loan.
He was released, though. Alongside 3 keepers, Dominic Ball and Lee Wallace.
Although Roberts & Lowe are probably on good money, I'm not sure that would apply to Tim nor Richards.
6 out and 4 in ( Paal, JCS, Balogun and now Martin) should make some difference.

I wouldn't know, but I suspect that Laird would be on higher wages than most of our own players & I doubt that he would have come free.

I don't know whether we will ever find out what we've paid in loan fees this season, or in the past. I assume they would be somewhere in the accounts, but I can't recall ever seeing figures quoted.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 01:27 - Mar 7 with 636 viewsJules4367

How do we cut the players salary in half on 09:27 - Mar 6 by slmrstid

Presumably cutting the players in half isnt an option?

Anyone know a timber merchant who wants some dead wood?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024