Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
India on the moon 15:23 - Aug 23 with 11484 viewsRangersDave

And we cant even look after our servicemen, disabled, homeless, poor, and ill citizens!

Boils my pee!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

India on the moon on 15:29 - Aug 23 with 5731 viewsDaBurgh

Sad but true. Approx 40 million of UK taxpayer money sent every year to India.
India on the moon on 15:30 - Aug 23 with 5730 viewsBrianMcCarthy

They should look after their own needy citizens before this absolute waste of time and money.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

India on the moon on 15:41 - Aug 23 with 5695 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

When I was in India not so long ago I saw people washing their clothes in dirty puddles. What a strange way to spend their societal money.
India on the moon on 15:50 - Aug 23 with 5611 viewscolinallcars

There's no Dark Side of the Moon really - it's all dark. Well, at least that's what Pink Floyd said.
India on the moon on 15:54 - Aug 23 with 5590 viewsWokingR

The footage doesn't even look real.
It looks like its been mocked up on some 1980s space invaders software.
India on the moon on 16:05 - Aug 23 with 5524 viewsRangers67

Agree but we can spend countless billions on HS2 and that,s just the start of it !
India on the moon on 16:09 - Aug 23 with 5486 viewsDannyPaddox

India on the moon on 15:54 - Aug 23 by WokingR

I thought you were exaggerating. Clearly not.
India on the moon on 16:12 - Aug 23 with 5462 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

India on the moon on 15:54 - Aug 23 by WokingR

Looks legit to me!
Login to get fewer ads

India on the moon on 16:16 - Aug 23 with 5426 viewsloftupper

India on the moon on 16:09 - Aug 23 by DannyPaddox

I thought you were exaggerating. Clearly not.

Just do not think the two things are connected. I seriously doubt that if they hadn't spent the money on getting to the moon that it would have been spent feeding and clothing the poor.

Same as when people say we shouldn't be giving them 40mil a year, not as though that 40mil would then be spent on helping the English poor and needy.

Also, what is forgotten is the soft power these types of aid give to the UK, not sure I like the idea of isolating ourselves from the world
India on the moon on 16:29 - Aug 23 with 5350 viewsPaddyhoops

The impoverished street children of India will be impressed. I’d say landing something on the moon should be at least second on the list .
India on the moon on 16:34 - Aug 23 with 5330 viewsitsbiga

40 mil is chump change compared to what fat cats cream from country economies, and churches with their tax free bs.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

India on the moon on 16:46 - Aug 23 with 5265 viewsqprd

India on the moon on 16:29 - Aug 23 by Paddyhoops

The impoverished street children of India will be impressed. I’d say landing something on the moon should be at least second on the list .

Every society has poor people- when the US went to the moon, poverty in the Appalachian region and south was very very bad (led to social programs in the 1960s)

I constantly hear people b*tching about how there arent enough publicly funded cricket pitches, etc- no one seems to say that each quid of funding to sport in this country could go towards funding child poverty here

These types of programs lead to mass investment in other critical sectors- US space race and nuclear arms race with Soviet Union are largely why numerous industries are so strong today: semiconductors, hardware, software, aerospace, internet, etc etc. Intel literally exists b/c of its sales to the US govt during the space race/chip war.

Israel's amazing tech sector and strength in private cybersecurity firms is a direct result of its investment in military.... the folks who worked on this project in india will use the learnings for other valuable endeavours in the public and private sector. the most valuable thing in a society is the brains of their population (sadly not a priority in this coutnry, where education is underfunded and the population is ostensibly getting dumber with lesser and lesser attn span/work ethic, wasting more time glued to their phones watching tiktok)

its obviously an exercise in propaganda for india and their PM... but india is emerging as one of the most geopolitically important countries in the world (and a counterweight to china).... so not surprising they want to swing their d*cks in science and technology, too
India on the moon on 16:48 - Aug 23 with 5246 viewsqprd

India on the moon on 15:29 - Aug 23 by DaBurgh

i doubt 40m is the right number (its probably higher). but 40m is actually nothing for a govt- the 7 or 8 guys who sit on the bench for man city on a given match day prob pay that much just in income tax in a given year... its peanuts in the scheme of how much the govt generates and spends

in any case, it pales in comparison to the value extracted from india by this country
India on the moon on 17:01 - Aug 23 with 5193 viewsBrianMcCarthy

India on the moon on 16:46 - Aug 23 by qprd

Every society has poor people- when the US went to the moon, poverty in the Appalachian region and south was very very bad (led to social programs in the 1960s)

I constantly hear people b*tching about how there arent enough publicly funded cricket pitches, etc- no one seems to say that each quid of funding to sport in this country could go towards funding child poverty here

These types of programs lead to mass investment in other critical sectors- US space race and nuclear arms race with Soviet Union are largely why numerous industries are so strong today: semiconductors, hardware, software, aerospace, internet, etc etc. Intel literally exists b/c of its sales to the US govt during the space race/chip war.

Israel's amazing tech sector and strength in private cybersecurity firms is a direct result of its investment in military.... the folks who worked on this project in india will use the learnings for other valuable endeavours in the public and private sector. the most valuable thing in a society is the brains of their population (sadly not a priority in this coutnry, where education is underfunded and the population is ostensibly getting dumber with lesser and lesser attn span/work ethic, wasting more time glued to their phones watching tiktok)

its obviously an exercise in propaganda for india and their PM... but india is emerging as one of the most geopolitically important countries in the world (and a counterweight to china).... so not surprising they want to swing their d*cks in science and technology, too

Your last line nails it. It's propaganda.

As for your other point, it's well-made and often used, though I've never seen any reason why research can't be driven by a ferocious desire to help humanity. Surely that should be the strongest desire.

India on the moon on 17:04 - Aug 23 with 5172 viewsrobith

India on the moon on 15:29 - Aug 23 by DaBurgh

Could I get a citation on that? UK stopped aid money to India in 2015, and other money sent is biltaeral or to encourage trade and security co-operation - i.e it benefits the UK too, but I can't find a source saying £40m anywhere
India on the moon on 17:07 - Aug 23 with 5154 viewsPlanetHonneywood

So this isn't a thread informing that Tim Martin has opened a new 'spoons.

No good will come of it. At the back of my mind I still think 'the Man' knows Earth is bolloxed, and is building a life-support system in outer space and will leave us all high and dry when it all goes nipples north in 7 years.

Pint o'mild landlord...

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

India on the moon on 17:09 - Aug 23 with 5144 viewsPaddyhoops

Some very good points . Ireland, back in the day didn’t have a pot to piss in but there was always enough for Fr o Conner’s plate on a Sunday and to adorn the alter the with all kinds of splendiferous trinkets.
You’d know all about it if didn’t contribute.
India on the moon on 17:14 - Aug 23 with 5125 viewsRangersDave

this is interesting.....

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk/uk-still-gives-aid-to-india-dressed

and......
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/mar/14/uk-aid-india-human-ri

And lastly.......
https://www.context.news/socioeconomic-inclusion/britains-foreign-aid-where-does

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

India on the moon on 17:14 - Aug 23 with 5116 viewsEastR

India on the moon on 17:04 - Aug 23 by robith

Could I get a citation on that? UK stopped aid money to India in 2015, and other money sent is biltaeral or to encourage trade and security co-operation - i.e it benefits the UK too, but I can't find a source saying £40m anywhere

https://devtracker.fcdo.gov.uk/countries/IN

2023/24 £33.4m

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

India on the moon on 17:15 - Aug 23 with 5110 viewsdigswellhoop

who builds 1st take away
India on the moon on 17:24 - Aug 23 with 5067 viewsDaBurgh

https://m.timesofindia.com/world/uk/uk-still-gives-aid-to-india-dressed-up-as-bu
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/18/britain-foreign-aid-india-space-
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 17:29]
India on the moon on 17:25 - Aug 23 with 5062 viewsqprd

India on the moon on 17:01 - Aug 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Your last line nails it. It's propaganda.

As for your other point, it's well-made and often used, though I've never seen any reason why research can't be driven by a ferocious desire to help humanity. Surely that should be the strongest desire.

There's definitely a spectrum of propaganda (from building a 120k seat football stadium and naming it after yourself to building huge infrastructure projects that help your population), so i wouldnt group it all the same

But whether its propaganda or not is irrelevant to me, b/c the pursuit of science and technology is generally a worthy aim. The whole space race was a d*ckswinging contest b/w Russia and the US- but that investment is largely the reason we're able to communicate with each other over the internet at such speeds.... science and technology leads to productivity growth which is why living standards have improved so much in the last 50-60 years
India on the moon on 17:30 - Aug 23 with 5026 viewsqprd

agreed- the discourse on aid is widely distorted, often by publications like the daily mail that try to rile up by making it seem like its a total handout at the expense of people in the UK

aid is largely driven by the country's own strategic ambitions. when the US provides aid to other countries or subsidises the global security apparatus, it is acting in its own self-interest- exerting soft power, promoting its own security interests, reducing terrorism, forging alliances, weakening its enemies, gaining access to certain markets, etc etc

i mean, does anyone think that china is acting out of the goodness of its heart when it finances huge projects in pakistan, SE asia and africa?
India on the moon on 17:39 - Aug 23 with 4988 viewsBluce_Ree

We send them so much money and they're doing this shit?

India is number 1 bullshit.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

India on the moon on 17:42 - Aug 23 with 4981 viewsBrianMcCarthy

India on the moon on 17:25 - Aug 23 by qprd

There's definitely a spectrum of propaganda (from building a 120k seat football stadium and naming it after yourself to building huge infrastructure projects that help your population), so i wouldnt group it all the same

But whether its propaganda or not is irrelevant to me, b/c the pursuit of science and technology is generally a worthy aim. The whole space race was a d*ckswinging contest b/w Russia and the US- but that investment is largely the reason we're able to communicate with each other over the internet at such speeds.... science and technology leads to productivity growth which is why living standards have improved so much in the last 50-60 years

I agree that the pursuit of science and technology is of course worthy, but my point is that the discoveries made in the space race could also have been made if the underlying desire had been not to conquer space, or indeed to bomb each other into oblivion, but to abolish poverty, disease or inequality.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024