Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI 12:02 - Oct 15 with 2131 viewsParkRoyalR

Get it was only San Marino and Championship defenders will be a far greater challenge, but Smyth showed great pace, movement and most importantly excellent finishing yesterday,

When he was first with us he looked liked he could develop into that 'fox in the box' type little guy playing off the shoulder of of a bigger guy,

Given Kolli is so inexperienced and Armstrong is'nt that type of player, surely playing Smyth close to and off Dykes looks our best option at the moment,

Whether we go 5-3-2 or 4-4-2, we have to get our best 11 players starting, and for me I'd go maybe go 5-3-2 with following, who can also play a 4-4-2 (with JCS or Larkeche playing LB):

Paal / JCS / Cook / Dunne / Cannon
Field / Colback / Chair
Dykes / Smyth

This team, if set up right, are all battlers which is what we need right now as we saw against Watford at home last season (with exception of JCS; altho Cannon is an unknown quantity, he has to be a more natural defender than Kakay).

This team, with a good manager, can keep us in this division.
Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 12:06 - Oct 15 with 2094 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm not sure that Smyth has the technique to get free in tight, central positions.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 12:42 - Oct 15 with 2005 viewsAndybrat

Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 12:06 - Oct 15 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not sure that Smyth has the technique to get free in tight, central positions.

Feel that is currently the best starting 11 but Chair and Smyth playing both asa number 10 with the 2 wingbacks. Single difference I know. Wingbacks are the key
Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 12:52 - Oct 15 with 1966 viewsstevec

Worth a try but I doubt there’s a manager in the world that could manufacture goals out of this squad.
Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 13:00 - Oct 15 with 1944 viewskernowhoop

https://loftforwords.fansnetwork.co.uk/forum/302511/i-know-its-only-san-marino/#
Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 13:35 - Oct 15 with 1904 viewsthompsonridd

5-2-1-2?

Cannon - Dunne - Cook - JCS - Paal

Field - Colback

Chair

Dykes - Smyth
Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 13:43 - Oct 15 with 1862 viewsstainrods_elbow

Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 12:06 - Oct 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Nor does Dykes, so he'd be in good company.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 14:01 - Oct 15 with 1830 viewsMatch82

Begovic
Dunne JCS Cook
Cannon Field Paal
Colback Dozell
Smyth Dykes Chair

Ideally Willock gets back to form, I'd be interested to see him in that Dozell role. Armstrong I think needs a few games off the bench, coming on and terrorizing defenders o think would rebuild his confidence when he has that additional fitness advantage. Potentially if he shows he's ready you think about Larkeche at LWB and Paal in the middle

Edit: then you hope they haven't noticed you've stuck an extra person on the field
[Post edited 15 Oct 2023 14:03]
Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 17:16 - Oct 15 with 1684 viewsNewBee

For those who've not seen it, PS's goal is here, almost from the start of the video, a cracker:

Keep watching and almost immediately you'll see his fine assist for the second.

But best of all was the next bit on the tape (2 mins 38 secs), when he "scored" a sensational over-his-shoulder volleyed chip, which was cruelly disallowed for offside by VAR, after a three minute(?) conference/AGM/working lunch by the officials up in the recording lounge.

Anyhow, we know it was only vs San Marino etc, but my goodness Smythie looked terrific - I believe the Left Back who was meant to be marking him was later taken to hospital with suspected twisted blood.

Above all, the wee man looked happy from the off, continuing to smile even after his "goal" was chalked off. I wonder whether this wasn't (a ) because O'Neill picked him to play effectively as a Right Winger, cutting in or going to the byeline, as he chose, and (b ) he was playing at Windsor Park again, where he'd been so popular playing his club games for Linfield, who also use the stadium, and who will have had many of their own fans in the crowd?
[Post edited 15 Oct 2023 17:18]
Login to get fewer ads

Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 18:22 - Oct 15 with 1597 viewsAntti_Heinola

No formation or choice of players will make a blind bit of difference under this regime unfortunately. Deckchairs on the Titanic. Well, tiny deckchairs on a little dinghy with a hole in it.

Bare bones.

Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 13:29 - Oct 16 with 1292 viewswombat

Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 14:01 - Oct 15 by Match82

Begovic
Dunne JCS Cook
Cannon Field Paal
Colback Dozell
Smyth Dykes Chair

Ideally Willock gets back to form, I'd be interested to see him in that Dozell role. Armstrong I think needs a few games off the bench, coming on and terrorizing defenders o think would rebuild his confidence when he has that additional fitness advantage. Potentially if he shows he's ready you think about Larkeche at LWB and Paal in the middle

Edit: then you hope they haven't noticed you've stuck an extra person on the field
[Post edited 15 Oct 2023 14:03]

happy with that but no glass salter anywhere near the first team , stick fox back in

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Smyth off Dykes in a 2 - Best Starting XI on 13:31 - Oct 16 with 1291 viewsbaz_qpr

If it means he stays out of crossing positions I'm all for it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024