Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non QPR podcasts? 09:06 - Jan 16 with 2159 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Currently at home with Covid (2nd time, nowhere near as bad as the first). Anyone got any recommendations for decent podcasts to listen to, to help ward off the boredom?
Just finished Uncharted, by Hannah Fry, and on the last episode of Ghost Story.
No QPR please, I don't want to feel depressed.
Non QPR podcasts? on 09:11 - Jan 16 with 2140 viewsMetallica_Hoop

My sister sent me this, it's quite entertaining.

Was 'Wind of Change' written by the CIA?

https://crooked.com/podcast-series/wind-of-change/

If it's not your thing someone might want a listen Page 2 has episode 1.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Non QPR podcasts? on 10:48 - Jan 16 with 2026 views1MoreBrightonR

Shock and War on the second iraq war is good.

Guardian football weekly is always great.

I'm not a monster, on Shamima Begum, is a good listen.

Hunting Warhead is brilliant but a brutal listen as its on the investigation to shut down a paedophile site on the dark web.

I'd also second the recommendation on Winds of Change. Its a pretty funny podcast, and a lot lighter listening than a few of my tips!

Each series of the BBC podcast, Intrigue, is very good other than the most recent which i didnt get in to. The one on the West germans tunnelling in to the East is great.
[Post edited 16 Jan 10:49]
Non QPR podcasts? on 10:48 - Jan 16 with 2026 viewshoopedmonkey

London Particular- Drama on 4 (BBC)
Non QPR podcasts? on 11:33 - Jan 16 with 1955 viewsdmm

If you like history, 2 podcasts I listen regularly are The Rest is History with historians Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook. It covers a wide range of periods. The other is The History of London with Saul. This is an in depth series starting in pre Roman times. I'm currently on episode 55!

Both are excellent.
Non QPR podcasts? on 11:59 - Jan 16 with 1904 viewsMrSheen

Non QPR podcasts? on 11:33 - Jan 16 by dmm

If you like history, 2 podcasts I listen regularly are The Rest is History with historians Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook. It covers a wide range of periods. The other is The History of London with Saul. This is an in depth series starting in pre Roman times. I'm currently on episode 55!

Both are excellent.

My recent history pod discovery is “Subject to Change”. It’s presented by a Scotsman called Russell Hogg, who I think is a lawyer and just an enthusiast, so no ads, no sponsors, just a long talk with a historian about a book they’ve written, not necessarily recently. There’s one about an 18th century warship called HMS Alarm that’s just mind-boggling, as well as lots of Byzantine history if you like that sort of thing. I do! Thoroughly recommended.

EDIT - Sorry, it’s about HMS Wager and it’s called Shipwreck, Mutiny & Murder, so there’s a couple of spoiler alerts straight away. All the ingredients of a great nautical tale - hubris, cruelty, endurance and creative woodwork. Try it, it’s cracking.
[Post edited 17 Jan 10:50]
Non QPR podcasts? on 12:23 - Jan 16 with 1867 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’m enjoying Empire.

A bit middle class and liberal but interesting nonetheless.

https://open.spotify.com/show/0sBh58hSTReUQiK4axYUVx?si=ueSnvpEtSWatm8t5Q3tLeQ
Non QPR podcasts? on 12:53 - Jan 16 with 1809 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Another vote for The Rest is History.

Hugely informative and strangely entertaining!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Non QPR podcasts? on 13:57 - Jan 16 with 1748 viewsW4Hoop

"The Rest is History" is a wide range of podcasts on historical subjects. The two historians, Tom Holland and Dominic Sambrook, are well informed and easy to listen to. Subjects are widely varied from ancient to contemporary history. Available on BBC Sounds.
Login to get fewer ads

Non QPR podcasts? on 14:03 - Jan 16 with 1735 viewsTonto

Fallacious Trump

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2mcELG8sliVrqMQmZO7oRk?si=OOlYO-0KRyKXEF3aAOCIS

Takes the piss put of politicians (mostly Trump) whilst being educational about all the logical fallacies there are.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Non QPR podcasts? on 14:04 - Jan 16 with 1735 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Cheers for the 'Rest is History' mentions Tom Holland is one of my favourite authors with Roger Crowley, I'll check it out.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Non QPR podcasts? on 14:48 - Jan 16 with 1692 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Going to crack on with all of these. Have to say, Ghost Story was very good, though it is more a true crime rather than aa ghost story.
Non QPR podcasts? on 17:24 - Jan 16 with 1593 viewsPaddyhoops

Joe Wilkinson, the comedian and Patrick Bamford , Olympic diver have a decent one on the BBC .
Have to say he comes across well and Wilkinson is Very funny and a proper football fan . Gillingham being his side.
Non QPR podcasts? on 17:43 - Jan 16 with 1577 viewsE17hoop

Non QPR podcasts? on 11:33 - Jan 16 by dmm

Both are excellent.

Dan Carlin Hardcore History is intense. Each episode is 3+ hours long, and some seasons are 5 episodes. The KIng of King's season about Persia is wonderful

https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/dan-carlins-hardcore-history/id173001861

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Non QPR podcasts? on 17:55 - Jan 16 with 1568 viewsRangersw12

I listen to the Rest is History ( General history) and We have ways of making you talk ( 2nd World War )
Non QPR podcasts? on 18:40 - Jan 16 with 1504 viewsderbyhoop

2 I listen to regularly are
The News Agents with Maitlis, sopel and Lewis Goodall. All have left BBC but are decent journalists
Oh God What Now, usually hosted by Dorian Lynskey

Both tend to concentrate on politics. Fine, if that doesnt warn you off

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024