Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Sky Deal thread 13:02 - May 8 with 9804 viewsHayesender

Just been sent this in a text.

BREAKING: Sky Sports will show EVERY match on the opening weekend of the 24/25 EFL season, as part of a deal to broadcast more than 1,000 games during the campaign.

The traditional 3pm blackout rules will not apply for the first match-day.

WELL THEN! 👀👀👀

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Opening day of the season on 19:36 - May 8 with 1880 viewsNorthernr

Opening day of the season on 19:16 - May 8 by saxbend

Thanks for the explanation, Clive. What that says to me is that there's a combination of gross overcharging of subscribers and gold dust of advertising space being given away for next to nothing.

You're lucky if you can find an advertiser that wants to spend money on TV slots, outside of football. Some of Sky's daytime ad slots can be had for daft amounts like £3 a time.
Opening day of the season on 19:59 - May 8 with 1834 viewssaxbend

Opening day of the season on 19:36 - May 8 by Northernr

You're lucky if you can find an advertiser that wants to spend money on TV slots, outside of football. Some of Sky's daytime ad slots can be had for daft amounts like £3 a time.

Blimey. I might take advantage of that one day myself.
Opening day of the season on 20:01 - May 8 with 1831 viewsJamesB1979

Opening day of the season on 13:09 - May 8 by Spen

Which games will be live on Sky?

Each full weekend of EFL fixtures will see 10 live matches shown - including three Championship, two League One and two League Two matches all broadcast live at 12:30pm on Saturdays.

All opening weekend, final day, and midweek fixtures in the EFL will be shown live, as will all games played on Bank Holidays including Easter, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

Which games? I think Preston qpr and qpr Preston is highly likely
Opening day of the season on 20:57 - May 8 with 1766 viewsdaveB

Opening day of the season on 18:53 - May 8 by Northernr

I'm not sure that's true. I'm not sure how accurate this is but the best figure I can find online is that Sky earned £8,935m in subscriptions + licensing for 2022 with £1,269m from advertising. I thought it was more like a 4:1 ratio but I'd have to go digging through Comcast accounts to be sure. Basically they use the ads as a nice extra to "keep the subscription price lower" (haha, yeh right).

In general linear television, Channel 4 a particularly stark example, that relies on advertising is in the absolute sht at the moment because the ad revenue has bled dramatically to digital. C4 announced today it was putting another couple of its bigger shows (Cats Does Countdown including ) on the shelf because it's struggling to afford to make them.

Mate of mine's production company went to the wall last month because he had three series worth £4m to the business, but the broadcasters couldn't afford to greenlight them and he's just been left running his company for months with no money coming in. Production companies going bust all over the place atm because the linear channels they rely on can't greenlight anything.

Used to be the model was you'd have a good idea, take it to C4, they'd like it, give you 100% of the budget, you start shooting the next day. Then that model became they'd give you 50% of the budget and you'd have to go find the other half through pre-sales, distribution advance, coproduction with similar channels in other countries. Now they tell you they like it, but they can only stump up 10% (or 0% in one case I was hearing about lately) and you've got to go find 90% of the budget elsewhere.

Whole TV business is on the bones of its ars atm, it's all we're writing about and covering in my day job.

Long story short, if you're reliant on advertising and you're a linear TV broadcaster you're proper fcked atm. You need a subscription or licence fee model to even exist.

That's bang on about the tv ad market, I work within in and it's on it's arse at the moment

Where as before the money was big and shared between ITV, Channel 4, Sky etc now you have less money spent on advertising and far more competitors such as Facebook, Twitter, amazon prime, tiktok, youtube, Netflix, Disney and more so less money shared between a lot more companies, everyone is losing even Disney and co.

There is a really good podcast This is Entertainment with Richard Osman and they broke down the problems at channel 4 recently, they'll do well to survive

We have our financial update released tomorrow at ITV which will likely lead to more job losses, safe to say all our eggs are in the England doing well in the Euros basket.
Opening day of the season on 22:32 - May 8 with 1678 viewscolinallcars

I'm intrigued by the “where do I go to see my fav Championship club”
Er, you go to the ground mate.
Opening day of the season on 23:37 - May 8 with 1599 viewscolinallcars

Forgive my ignorance at this late hour - we are told the clubs unanimously accepted the Sky deal. I find it hard to believe the clubs did this without consulting one another. What do you think ?
Opening day of the season on 23:54 - May 8 with 1585 viewsdaveB

Opening day of the season on 23:37 - May 8 by colinallcars

Forgive my ignorance at this late hour - we are told the clubs unanimously accepted the Sky deal. I find it hard to believe the clubs did this without consulting one another. What do you think ?

They would have looked at how much they were getting and worried about the details later
Opening day of the season on 01:48 - May 9 with 1540 viewsnumptydumpty

With all of this, are these games going to be as per the red button games where there is only one camera, one commentator and no replays even of goals.

Or are they going to produce full coverage a la the normal live games that get a full pundit output at half time, Co commentators, many angles and replays from twenty five angles.

If its as the red button to be honest that's a waste of time.

If am not at a game , hopefully QPR plus still going, it helps the club but the red button coverage even the radio is preferable !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Login to get fewer ads

Opening day of the season on 07:13 - May 9 with 1467 viewsdaveB

Opening day of the season on 01:48 - May 9 by numptydumpty

With all of this, are these games going to be as per the red button games where there is only one camera, one commentator and no replays even of goals.

Or are they going to produce full coverage a la the normal live games that get a full pundit output at half time, Co commentators, many angles and replays from twenty five angles.

If am not at a game , hopefully QPR plus still going, it helps the club but the red button coverage even the radio is preferable !!

it's moving to a new streaming service by the sound of it as well as on regular sky channels
Opening day of the season on 07:37 - May 9 with 1439 viewsNorthernr

Opening day of the season on 23:37 - May 8 by colinallcars

It's worth 40% more money to clubs in a division where basically everybody loses £15m-25m a season.

That's the bottom line.

Of course all that will happen is footballers and their agents will say "well you're getting 40% more money now, we want 40% more than we were getting" (ahem, Willock). The result will be you'll just end up paying a player you would have been paying £10k a week a couple of years ago, £15k a week in a year's time.

You see it in the Premier League. Is the Premier League really any better - quality wise, aesthetics wise, viewing spectacle wise, standard wise - than it was 10 years ago? 15 years ago? I don't think it is. All that's happened is a player who was earning 50k a week 20 years ago, £100k a week 10 years ago, is now earning £250k a week. Same standard of player.
Opening day of the season on 07:39 - May 9 with 1435 viewsNorthernr

Opening day of the season on 01:48 - May 9 by numptydumpty

They've said it won't be red button style - will be multiple cameras, replays etc.

They're showing every Super League game this season and if they go with the same model then what they have there is the same amount of 'main games' they had before with half hour build up, studio presenter and pundits, each week. The others the coverage starts a couple of minutes before kick off, and the half time is handled by the commentator and co-commentator talking over first half highlights, then it goes off air straight away after full time.
Opening day of the season on 07:45 - May 9 with 1426 viewsQPunkR

Opening day of the season on 07:37 - May 9 by Northernr

It's worth 40% more money to clubs in a division where basically everybody loses £15m-25m a season.

That's the bottom line.

Of course all that will happen is footballers and their agents will say "well you're getting 40% more money now, we want 40% more than we were getting" (ahem, Willock). The result will be you'll just end up paying a player you would have been paying £10k a week a couple of years ago, £15k a week in a year's time.

You see it in the Premier League. Is the Premier League really any better - quality wise, aesthetics wise, viewing spectacle wise, standard wise - than it was 10 years ago? 15 years ago? I don't think it is. All that's happened is a player who was earning 50k a week 20 years ago, £100k a week 10 years ago, is now earning £250k a week. Same standard of player.

Exactly this. That’s been my argument with UEFA searching for extra revenue streams as well - why bother looking for millions extra to pay out to clubs, it will only result in the players’ astronomical wages going up even further. More money will not sort out all the many, many basket case clubs - what they need is far better management of their existing finances

QPR - "shit but local"

Opening day of the season on 09:11 - May 9 with 1375 viewsdaveB

Opening day of the season on 07:39 - May 9 by Northernr

They've said it won't be red button style - will be multiple cameras, replays etc.

They're showing every Super League game this season and if they go with the same model then what they have there is the same amount of 'main games' they had before with half hour build up, studio presenter and pundits, each week. The others the coverage starts a couple of minutes before kick off, and the half time is handled by the commentator and co-commentator talking over first half highlights, then it goes off air straight away after full time.

It's basically a trial to see how it goes and if it goes well they'll try and do the same with the Premier League which will be worth a lot more money
Opening day of the season on 09:30 - May 9 with 1356 viewsfrancisbowles

Opening day of the season on 18:46 - May 8 by derbyhoop

I read each Championship team will appear 24 times. That leaves 22. I'm struggling, as an overseas supporter, to justify a subscription to QPR+

So far there is nothing in the announcement that says any more matches will be shown overseas. So I think QPR + continues for those fans.
I hope so as I am often abroad both in reality and virtually, so rely on the service to help me see every game. With 12.30 kick offs, I might even be away more.
Opening day of the season on 09:42 - May 9 with 1342 views_tf_

Not sure how relevant this will be to the conversation but I remember schlepping down to Bristol City on a Friday night in 1999 for a terrible 0-0 that was on ITV digital. Mrs _tf_ was working in media and on the Monday saw that the TV audience was smaller than the crowd at the actual game! Am assuming the numbers will be significantly different now...

The bigger thing for me is how poor 12.30 kick offs are. The players (and a lot of the fans) are barely awake. Not happy with this at all.
Opening day of the season on 09:46 - May 9 with 1335 viewsNorthernr

Opening day of the season on 09:42 - May 9 by _tf_

Not sure how relevant this will be to the conversation but I remember schlepping down to Bristol City on a Friday night in 1999 for a terrible 0-0 that was on ITV digital. Mrs _tf_ was working in media and on the Monday saw that the TV audience was smaller than the crowd at the actual game! Am assuming the numbers will be significantly different now...

The bigger thing for me is how poor 12.30 kick offs are. The players (and a lot of the fans) are barely awake. Not happy with this at all.

Think that one was a Sky game actually, there was another 0-0 with Bristol City (at home) a year or so later in the division below that was ITV Digital on a Thursday night.

There was a game that season ITV Digital showed on a Thursday night at Cambridge, can't remember the opposition but they worked out the TV audience for it was so small it would have been cheaper for them to taxi all of them to the game from where they lived and pay for their match ticket than to put on the outside broadcast to show it live.
Opening day of the season on 09:57 - May 9 with 1306 viewssaxbend

As far as streaming goes, if I can get a QPR+ stream I will pay for it. If I can't, I will watch a pirated one to undermine the broadcasters. If the pirated ones were more stable I would not be against paying the pirates even.
Opening day of the season on 10:01 - May 9 with 1297 viewsdaveB

Opening day of the season on 09:46 - May 9 by Northernr

Think that one was a Sky game actually, there was another 0-0 with Bristol City (at home) a year or so later in the division below that was ITV Digital on a Thursday night.

There was a game that season ITV Digital showed on a Thursday night at Cambridge, can't remember the opposition but they worked out the TV audience for it was so small it would have been cheaper for them to taxi all of them to the game from where they lived and pay for their match ticket than to put on the outside broadcast to show it live.

At the time my job at ITV was to do the transmission logs which is basically applying the ratings and showing what actually went to air (Was basically pressing 5 buttons whilst I waffled on QPR forums about whatever was happening at the time)

I remember getting called in for a right bollocking saying I had done them wrong as the ratings were not appearing on ITV Sport but turned out they were so low they below the threshold of appearing. That was an absolute shambles back then, great idea but put together so badly
Opening day of the season on 10:15 - May 9 with 1266 viewsted_hendrix

Correct me If I'm wrong but I was at the fakes ground one Sunday 12.00ish kick off and I believe the game was on SKY.
the game was a 0-0 draw and quite possibly the worst display and most disinterested contested game of football ever in the history of disinterested contested games of football.
Honestly can't believe that people actually contribute to SKY on a Monthly basis only to be served up that bilge.
Only interesting thing about this game was one of the posters on here shouted up at me ''Ted you vvanker this is shit'' from a few rows down from me.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Opening day of the season on 10:24 - May 9 with 1240 viewsNorthernr

Opening day of the season on 10:15 - May 9 by ted_hendrix

Correct me If I'm wrong but I was at the fakes ground one Sunday 12.00ish kick off and I believe the game was on SKY.
the game was a 0-0 draw and quite possibly the worst display and most disinterested contested game of football ever in the history of disinterested contested games of football.
Honestly can't believe that people actually contribute to SKY on a Monthly basis only to be served up that bilge.
Only interesting thing about this game was one of the posters on here shouted up at me ''Ted you vvanker this is shit'' from a few rows down from me.

That was the game where we relegated each other and man of the people Arry went down the tunnel laughing at full time.

I would suggest that was a 'quota' game. They're obligated to show each team a set amount of times a season, and when you've got 33 Leeds games on live that sucks up a lot of slots, so they'll show, for instance, Rotherham v Plymouth, this year to get a tick in both boxes. Showing QPR v Preston home and away probably counts in that as well.
Opening day of the season on 10:44 - May 9 with 1192 viewsQPROslo

Opening day of the season on 09:30 - May 9 by francisbowles

So far there is nothing in the announcement that says any more matches will be shown overseas. So I think QPR + continues for those fans.
I hope so as I am often abroad both in reality and virtually, so rely on the service to help me see every game. With 12.30 kick offs, I might even be away more.

QPR+ may continue. It's been a good deal for me to pay the annual subscription, but probably not so good in the future if as it sounds Championship games are played at the same time on Sky. If the Country I'm in has an International agreement to show the games then it won't be shown there live on QPR+, but likely only one game of those played at the same time will be on live TV, which leaves you looking for a working dodgy stream having already paid QPR +, if that game is not the R's.
Opening day of the season on 11:02 - May 9 with 1148 viewsNorthernr

Interesting to see what happens with QPR+ internationally because atm when we have a live Sky game it can only operate in "EFL dark markets" i.e. places where they haven't sold the rights to a broadcaster i.e. Vanuatu. For somebody like Oslo above that would mean a QPR+ subscription would be missing "at least 20 games" because Sky have guaranteed to show at least that many QPR matches.
Opening day of the season on 11:32 - May 9 with 1079 viewsQPROslo

Opening day of the season on 11:02 - May 9 by Northernr

Interesting to see what happens with QPR+ internationally because atm when we have a live Sky game it can only operate in "EFL dark markets" i.e. places where they haven't sold the rights to a broadcaster i.e. Vanuatu. For somebody like Oslo above that would mean a QPR+ subscription would be missing "at least 20 games" because Sky have guaranteed to show at least that many QPR matches.

Yes and I guess it's possible Countries that have been "dark market" may not be next season. With Sky pushing out the EFL they may start showing Championship games. It's been a good deal for me because I spend about half my time in Thailand which has been a "dark market", the other half in Norway where they have been showing most of our TV games on the box.
Opening day of the season on 11:50 - May 9 with 1003 viewskensalriser

Opening day of the season on 07:37 - May 9 by Northernr

That's the bottom line.

More than 100% of the uplift will go straight out of the door because that's what football does. Why would it be any different this time?

The clubs are analogous to gambling addicts. You can give them however much you like, guess where it's going to go. And they'll still beg, steal and borrow more.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Opening day of the season on 12:46 - May 9 with 938 viewsSheffieldHoop

Opening day of the season on 11:50 - May 9 by kensalriser

More than 100% of the uplift will go straight out of the door because that's what football does. Why would it be any different this time?

The clubs are analogous to gambling addicts. You can give them however much you like, guess where it's going to go. And they'll still beg, steal and borrow more.

100% agree. And this is why I think we need to do to Sky/Football what people did to CDs/music 20 years ago. Stop buying it.

We've got the internet. Anything is possible. We do not need Sky infrastructure to watch live football anymore. Make them earn it from other avenues, and if that means footballers don't earn as much, I honestly think that's actually good for all concerned (Clubs, Fans, even the players themselves to some extent)

The only people it really hurts are the hangers on - The agents, the players entourage etc

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024