Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Connolly--on his way? 09:30 - May 25 with 3515 viewsDylanP

Matt Connolly remember him? That skinny, beanpole of a defender that at times looked scared and at other times masterful. He wasn't the greatest defender we had, but I confess I thought he did well for us overall. Yeah, he got beat a few times. But he always worked hard and always seemed willing to learn. We watched him make a lot of progress in the hooped shirt.

Chances are he will be on his way this summer. In truth, he probably isn't ready for the Prem. But he is still young and another spell in the Championship should be enough for him to develop into a fairly handy player.

So, thanks Matty. Thanks for the hard work you put in and the part you played in our Championship success. Good luck in your next football adventure

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 09:32 - May 25 with 2837 viewsBasingstokeR

I think he's a decent squad player and no worse than a lot of the Norwich and Swansea squad defenders that stepped up.
Matt Connolly--on his way? on 09:32 - May 25 with 2826 viewsJamie

Wouldnt be surprised to see him go back to Reading.
Matt Connolly--on his way? on 09:41 - May 25 with 2776 viewsballbag

Scorer of one of the best QPR goals of recent years.

On at about 01:10
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Matt Connolly--on his way? on 09:49 - May 25 with 2751 viewsDylanP

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 09:41 - May 25 by ballbag

Scorer of one of the best QPR goals of recent years.

On at about 01:10

Thanks for posting the video. Certainly not a typical defenders swipe that one. Pure class!

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 09:57 - May 25 with 2713 viewsNeil_SI

I think Mark Hughes will want to take a look at him in pre-season and decide then on what he wants to do. I doubt he'll let him leave without judging him with his own eyes, as that seems to be the way he likes to work.
Matt Connolly--on his way? on 10:26 - May 25 with 2634 viewswestolian

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 09:57 - May 25 by Neil_SI

I think Mark Hughes will want to take a look at him in pre-season and decide then on what he wants to do. I doubt he'll let him leave without judging him with his own eyes, as that seems to be the way he likes to work.

I really like him but, there's that nagging doubt that there's something missing.

Strength, mental strength ?

Shame - could be a massive asset

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 10:28 - May 25 with 2631 viewsTonto

This time last year I thought he would be the championship player that WOULD step up. I know he had that crisis of confidence after 3/4 of the seaosn, but The less physical nature of the Premiership i thought would suit him.

but that didnt happen. I think for the sake of his career he should probably move on. he wont get oin the first team and is still young enough to carve out a decent career at a decent championship team with promotion pretentions.

If he does go it will be with a thanks from me - and good luck.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 11:00 - May 25 with 2553 viewswombat

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 10:28 - May 25 by Tonto

This time last year I thought he would be the championship player that WOULD step up. I know he had that crisis of confidence after 3/4 of the seaosn, but The less physical nature of the Premiership i thought would suit him.

but that didnt happen. I think for the sake of his career he should probably move on. he wont get oin the first team and is still young enough to carve out a decent career at a decent championship team with promotion pretentions.

If he does go it will be with a thanks from me - and good luck.

defo has promise but lacks confidence badly

and if we are talking about goals from central defenders anyone got a link to matty rose at brighton from a few years ago now that was a decent goal

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 11:19 - May 25 with 2518 viewsNorthernr

Still think there's a Premiership player in there somewhere with proper coaching and maybe a shrink, but looking increasingly like he's just going to potter around the Championship for the rest of his career.
Matt Connolly--on his way? on 12:39 - May 25 with 2383 viewsCharlie1

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 11:19 - May 25 by Northernr

Still think there's a Premiership player in there somewhere with proper coaching and maybe a shrink, but looking increasingly like he's just going to potter around the Championship for the rest of his career.

Agreed

Class act when he first joined.

Gets bullied to easily.

I actually think, he's a better holding midfielder than defender.

2:59 baby!

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 12:41 - May 25 with 2376 viewsPinnerPaul

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 09:32 - May 25 by BasingstokeR

I think he's a decent squad player and no worse than a lot of the Norwich and Swansea squad defenders that stepped up.

Norwich and Swansea get a mention on a Matt Connolly thread, is there no end to the obsession!
Matt Connolly--on his way? on 12:58 - May 25 with 2337 viewswestolian

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 12:41 - May 25 by PinnerPaul

Norwich and Swansea get a mention on a Matt Connolly thread, is there no end to the obsession!

John Terry will get a mention as well in a minute !

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 15:06 - May 25 with 2183 viewsPinnerPaul

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 12:58 - May 25 by westolian

John Terry will get a mention as well in a minute !

and Joey Barton!
Matt Connolly--on his way? on 15:17 - May 25 with 2164 viewsTonto

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 15:06 - May 25 by PinnerPaul

and Joey Barton!

AVB - he's quite young isn't he?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 15:22 - May 25 with 2154 viewsadhoc_qpr

Reading fans seem to think they are going to bid for him - would be a decent move for him.

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 17:35 - May 25 with 2052 viewsWeAreQPR12

I disagree Clive.

Personally for me he has been massively overrated, infact most players that have come from the arsenal youth/reserves generally are.

He is far to lightweight for me and his performance away to Southampton at the st marys was just shocking. He has confidence issues that I will agree on but for a defender he is a liability. We called him 3 bounce on WRTRB's, he lets the ball bounce and is poor in the air. Zesh rehman was another defender that had the habit of also letting the ball bounce. Anyway good luck to him but worse that Fitz Hall imo. People will say he's composed but he can't defend, fact!
Matt Connolly--on his way? on 17:52 - May 25 with 2022 viewsLowerloftLad

He played against wigan away and was a complete shambles at the back him at the back for reading motd will need an extra half hour to fit in the goals they will ship in next season

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 18:19 - May 25 with 1993 viewsJamie

Agreed.

I was a massive Warnock fan, but him dropping Gorkss and Connolly after a couple of bad games was absolutely a mistake and Connolly never really recovered his confidence or composure.
Matt Connolly--on his way? on 18:31 - May 25 with 1971 viewsWestbourneR

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 18:19 - May 25 by Jamie

Agreed.

I was a massive Warnock fan, but him dropping Gorkss and Connolly after a couple of bad games was absolutely a mistake and Connolly never really recovered his confidence or composure.

I'm not a massive Warnock fan but you can't blame him for Connolly.

Matt Connolly has always failed to match the idea of his quality with performances. He doesn't win enough headers, he makes mistakes on the ball and he doesn't battle. Oh and he switches off and lets the ball bounce.

We were blinded by the Arsenal youth myth.

Warnocks only mistake was playing him in the Prem away vs Arsenal. He was terrible that day.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 18:50 - May 25 with 1946 viewsDylanP

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 18:31 - May 25 by WestbourneR

Matt Connolly has always failed to match the idea of his quality with performances. He doesn't win enough headers, he makes mistakes on the ball and he doesn't battle. Oh and he switches off and lets the ball bounce.

Warnocks only mistake was playing him in the Prem away vs Arsenal. He was terrible that day.

I wasn'r "blinded by the Arsenal youth myth" in fact I was barely aware that he was from Arsenal youth. I'm sure the thought that he came from Arsenal youth hadn't crossed my mind in a couple of years. I was blinded by the decent performances he put in. I already conceeded that I don't think he is ready for the Prem and that is because he is a bit lightweight and prone to lapses in attention. But he also had stretches in the Championship when he was by far our best defender and for that he deserves thanks. I hope he finds a club with a good coaching team that will develop hism as a player.

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 22:42 - May 25 with 1808 viewsqprmick

Mainly keeping the pysios in business, he has had a lot of injuries this past season.

Qprmick

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 09:58 - May 26 with 1650 viewsTacticalR

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 18:31 - May 25 by WestbourneR

He wasn't great against Arsenal at the Emirates, but he was marking Robin van Persie at the height of his powers.

When we played Arsenal at home, I noticed that it was also very difficult for Ferdinand to mark van Persie. Occasionally van Persie would retreat so deep into midfield that it was impossible for Ferdinand to follow him. Even when van Persie stayed up front the distance between him and Ferdinand would slowly grow.

Connolly and Gorkšs were at the centre of the defence that conceded the fewest goals in the whole football league last season. This makes me think that Connolly is a better player with a commanding centre-back alongside him.

Air hostess clique

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 10:15 - May 26 with 1633 viewsSmartRs

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 09:58 - May 26 by TacticalR

He wasn't great against Arsenal at the Emirates, but he was marking Robin van Persie at the height of his powers.

When we played Arsenal at home, I noticed that it was also very difficult for Ferdinand to mark van Persie. Occasionally van Persie would retreat so deep into midfield that it was impossible for Ferdinand to follow him. Even when van Persie stayed up front the distance between him and Ferdinand would slowly grow.

Connolly and Gorkšs were at the centre of the defence that conceded the fewest goals in the whole football league last season. This makes me think that Connolly is a better player with a commanding centre-back alongside him.

Actually, no he wasn't at the centre of the Reading defence for much of last season. He only played 6 games for them while on loan. He was injured for a lot of the time he was there.
Matt Connolly--on his way? on 10:52 - May 26 with 1606 viewsTacticalR

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 10:15 - May 26 by SmartRs

Actually, no he wasn't at the centre of the Reading defence for much of last season. He only played 6 games for them while on loan. He was injured for a lot of the time he was there.

Sorry, I created confusion here. By 'last season' I meant 2010/2011 when he was playing in the centre for us (alongside Gorkšs). QPR's defence conceded the least goals in the football league in that season.

Air hostess clique

Matt Connolly--on his way? on 10:59 - May 26 with 1598 viewshoopstilidie

On his day one of the best CBs we have had for a while, unfortunately his consistency means that these performances were too far apart. I`d certainly keep him as a squad player with the squad we have at this moment in time but wouldn`t be averse to seeing him go if we sign another half decent CB.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024