Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football books 11:43 - Aug 23 with 10866 viewsrrrspricey

Just been given a kindle with £30 voucher for my birthday and am looking for some decent football books to stick on it, any recommendations gratefully received
Football books on 11:46 - Aug 23 with 6303 viewsNW5Hoop

If it's available on Kindle, The Glory Game by Hunter Davies is brilliant, as is Only a Game? by Eamon Dunphy. The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, by Joe McGinniss is fantastic. I've enjoyed recently two by Duncan Hamilton: Only if You Kiss Me and The Footballer Who Could Fly.
Football books on 12:04 - Aug 23 with 6277 viewsNeil_SI

I'm currently reading "The Nowhere Men" by Michael Calvin, which gives an insight into how scouts operate up and down the country and provides some interesting insights, so I've enjoyed it and there are a fair few references to QPR, and indeed, Michael spends a lot of time with former QPR Scout Mel Johnson.
Football books on 12:10 - Aug 23 with 6262 viewshopphoops

Tim Parks - A Season with Verona. top, top author.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Football books on 12:20 - Aug 23 with 6243 viewsthemodfather

there's a decent book on robin friday co written by paolo hewitt which is interesting
"the best player you never saw?"
Football books on 12:48 - Aug 23 with 6214 viewsTacticalR

Jonathan Wilson's 'Inverting the Pyramid' is great for giving you a historical perspective on football, and the way certain ideas have passed between countries and between decades. For example Total Football was pioneered by Englishman Jack Reynolds who managed Ajax between 1915 and 1947.

It's basically a history of formations and tactics.

Wilson can be difficult to follow at times, and it can be hard to picture in your mind whatever formation he is talking about (especially if there doesn't happen to be a diagram on that particular page).

Air hostess clique

Football books on 13:21 - Aug 23 with 6177 viewsderbyhoop

Light Reading - there's a book by Dominic Holland about the trials of supporting a (fictional?) club at the bottom of the League. Topped and tailed by 2 incidents relating to over and under filled jam doughnuts.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Football books on 13:24 - Aug 23 with 6167 viewsLblock

Football books on 12:10 - Aug 23 by hopphoops

Tim Parks - A Season with Verona. top, top author.

t'frik book

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Football books on 13:33 - Aug 23 with 6160 viewsA40Bosh

Football books on 13:24 - Aug 23 by Lblock

t'frik book

You could always try NW's recent autobiography.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Login to get fewer ads

Football books on 13:36 - Aug 23 with 6154 viewstoboboly

Gary Imlach's "My father and other working class football heroes" was really good.

Stock and Holloway's (not the lesbian lover) autobiographies are great reads too.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Football books on 14:32 - Aug 23 with 6119 viewsTacticalR

Has anyone read 'The Ball is Round: A Global History of Football' by David Goldblatt? Vickery is always going on about it on the World Football Phone-in. I got about 30 pages in (to a discussion about whether football originated in China) and couldn't take any more. Does it get any better? (cos the damn thing is 900 pages long)

Air hostess clique

Football books on 14:39 - Aug 23 with 6109 viewsdanehoop

The Goldblatt book is a good one. Used to know him quite well. Never thought he would end up writing about sport, but quite possibly one of the cleverest men that I have ever met.

Never knowingly understood

Football books on 14:49 - Aug 23 with 6101 viewsWegerle10

I can recommend this one. -Cheap Plug-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alive-Kicking-Ultimate-Football-Nostalgia/dp/0752482734

We're the famous Queens Park Rangers, and we've got Roy Wegerle!

Football books on 15:28 - Aug 23 with 6072 viewsE17hoop

Harry's games about hear old Harry is a great read.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harrys-Games-Inside-Redknapp-ebook/dp/B00838F5E2/ref=sr_

David Conn is an interesting writer and his examination of Man City is a good read too.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Richer-Than-God-Manchester-ebook/dp/B007C4FWHS/ref=sr_1_

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Football books on 15:32 - Aug 23 with 6064 viewsTheChef

Brilliant Orange by David Winner
Football Against The Enemy by Simon Kuper
One Night In Turin (aka All Played Out) by Pete Davies

That last one is probably the best football book I've read.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Football books on 15:33 - Aug 23 with 6063 viewsJigsore

I could recommend Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski. Common questions such as 'why are england shit' answered by actual statistics and research

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Football books on 17:05 - Aug 23 with 6035 viewslondonscottish

I've just finished Be Careful What You wish For. Simon Jordan's story about his time as Palace chairman. Really enjoyed it.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Football books on 17:13 - Aug 23 with 6019 viewslondonscottish

And The Gaffer obvs.

Football books on 20:46 - Aug 23 with 5967 viewsMrSheen

Football books on 17:13 - Aug 23 by londonscottish

And The Gaffer obvs.

I know he's not very popular on here, but Steve Claridge's autobiog, "Tales from the Boot-Camps" was very entertaining.

One of the interesting things in "A Season With Verona" is the idea of "Gemellagio" (sp?), literally "twinning", where your club has others that you actually like, and the fans are all friendly to each other when they play. In Italy this is mostly based on politics, so Verona as a right-wing club are friendly with Inter and Lazio (can't remember the others). Nothing like this seems to survive in England - even bonds formed by common enemies or former players seem to fall apart over one tackle or disputed decision, but who would be our natural "gemelli"? It ought to be Fulham based on both hating Ch*ls** (and being hated by Brentford), but they don't see it that way. Swansea? Millwall?
[Post edited 23 Aug 2013 21:02]
Football books on 21:40 - Aug 23 with 5932 viewsWokingR

"Where's your caravan" is a great insight into the lower leagues and the not so glamorous end of the game
Football books on 08:32 - Aug 24 with 5852 viewshopphoops

Football books on 20:46 - Aug 23 by MrSheen

I know he's not very popular on here, but Steve Claridge's autobiog, "Tales from the Boot-Camps" was very entertaining.

One of the interesting things in "A Season With Verona" is the idea of "Gemellagio" (sp?), literally "twinning", where your club has others that you actually like, and the fans are all friendly to each other when they play. In Italy this is mostly based on politics, so Verona as a right-wing club are friendly with Inter and Lazio (can't remember the others). Nothing like this seems to survive in England - even bonds formed by common enemies or former players seem to fall apart over one tackle or disputed decision, but who would be our natural "gemelli"? It ought to be Fulham based on both hating Ch*ls** (and being hated by Brentford), but they don't see it that way. Swansea? Millwall?
[Post edited 23 Aug 2013 21:02]

Bristol Rovers?

I went to Roma against Reggina who were their gemelli. Very odd atmosphere.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Football books on 10:24 - Aug 24 with 5822 viewsMrSheen

Football books on 08:32 - Aug 24 by hopphoops

Bristol Rovers?

I went to Roma against Reggina who were their gemelli. Very odd atmosphere.

You'd think so, but it rarely works both ways. I was once at a Rovers game when Holloway was our manager and they cheered us losing.
Football books on 11:07 - Aug 24 with 5817 viewsLambourn

What about grounds for divorce. By som geezer with a pony tail??
Football books on 11:10 - Aug 24 with 5813 viewsNeil_SI

Football books on 17:05 - Aug 23 by londonscottish

I've just finished Be Careful What You wish For. Simon Jordan's story about his time as Palace chairman. Really enjoyed it.

Likewise, I read that recently and enjoyed it too.
Football books on 11:28 - Aug 24 with 5804 viewslondonscottish

Football books on 11:10 - Aug 24 by Neil_SI

Likewise, I read that recently and enjoyed it too.

I thought it was very well written. And it's unusual to get the chaiman's view of things. It's usually players or managers.

I'm doing the full set this holiday - now onto the Secret Footballer.

Football books on 11:33 - Aug 24 with 5801 viewslondonscottish

Can anyone remember the title of the book from 2011 about the German keeper who ended up committing suicide? It's supposed to be a great book - won a sports book award IIRC.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024