Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
another lycra clad prick 14:43 - Oct 12 with 33224 viewsloftboy

Nearly totalled me and my 8 year old on oxford street today, we were crossing at lights and the man was green, i wasnt very happy especially after one broke my daughters foot last year, yet after informing the prick of his bad judgement he abuses me!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

another lycra clad prick on 11:06 - Nov 14 with 2345 viewshoopdog

another lycra clad prick on 10:55 - Nov 14 by Juzzie

This is what I posted on the very first page of this thread;

"On my motorbike today sitting at red lights and there's this fookin' huge concrete mixer with flashing warning lights, he's indicating left, you know, those big orange things that flash, there's a big sign on the left saying "cyclists - don't pass on the inside" and just in case the cyclist is blind and can't see any of that, there's a speaker squarking "warning, lorry turning left.... warning, lorry turning left...." and what does this cyclist do? straight down the inside and goes through the red traffic light. Insane.

Saw another cyclist literally squeeze down the inside of a 52 seater coach on the Marylebone Road last week. "

Going home last night, a lad on a bicycle with no lights, no reflectors, no visibility clothing and he had a black jacket and black trosuers on. And he'll be the first to scream at a car driver if they get too close.

From the Mirror today;
London Assembly Green Party member Darren Johnson said: "The mayor's (London mayor Boris Johnson) failure to make roads safer for cycling in the last six years is the reason we are having so many tragedies now."

Oh, that;'s right, it's always someone elses fault isn't it? I'm not saying vehicle drivers are blameless because clearly in many cases they are not but cyclists have GOT to start taking responsibility for their own actions. It's a bit too late to try and blame someone else 'cos you sailed through a red light (or gone down the inside of a lorry ) and got flattened.

A dual carriageway in East London where loads of lorries are going up and down with frieght from the ports was NOT designed with cyclists in mind. They were built for heavy freight/haulage and heavy traffic. Road users of any vehicle need to take into account the usuage of their route. I go up and down the A316/A4 regularly and I know the black spots and adapt with caution approprately. There's a 3 lane roundabout where the left lane is left-only turm but every day a car/van uses that lane to go straight on and cuts up any vehicle in the correct middle lane. I know this and always look to make sure there's no car down my left. I don't go across obliviously in the hope someone might actually just be doing a left.

In fact, you have to treat every road users as idiots, I think people put too much trust/faith in other road users and that they will abide to the Highway Code. This is why the Lib/Dem proposal is utter lunacy. It will cause more injuries and deaths, not less.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2013 11:08]

what many cyclists don't realise is long vehicles ie coaches hgv's swing out to the right 1st when turning left to give themselves clearance
another lycra clad prick on 11:10 - Nov 14 with 2343 viewsKonk

another lycra clad prick on 10:49 - Nov 14 by hoopdog

a good point from all sides
but the dutch are happy to slowly cycle down to shops on a sit up and beg bike without trying to get there before yesterday
[Post edited 14 Nov 2013 11:21]

The beauty of having wider cycle paths - as they generally have until you get into the very centre of their cities — is that an 80 year or 5 year old can dawdle along at their own pace, with room for anyone else to safely overtake them. My mate’s wife is taking their four month old son out on her bike (adapted car seat) in central Utrecht, and once the kid’s nine months old, he’ll be in a bike seat with a wind shield on the cross bar - and that's perfectly normal. Kids cycle to school, to their friends, to play sports — the streets aren’t clogged-up (excuse the pun) with people taking their kids here, there and everywhere. And despite having a similar love of processed food, beer and sugary/fried sh ite, you hardly ever see fat people in the Netherlands.

Juzzie — I couldn’t agree with you more: cyclists need to help themselves where possible, but a bit of protection/segregation would benefit us all.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

another lycra clad prick on 11:12 - Nov 14 with 2336 viewswombat

another lycra clad prick on 11:10 - Nov 14 by Konk

The beauty of having wider cycle paths - as they generally have until you get into the very centre of their cities — is that an 80 year or 5 year old can dawdle along at their own pace, with room for anyone else to safely overtake them. My mate’s wife is taking their four month old son out on her bike (adapted car seat) in central Utrecht, and once the kid’s nine months old, he’ll be in a bike seat with a wind shield on the cross bar - and that's perfectly normal. Kids cycle to school, to their friends, to play sports — the streets aren’t clogged-up (excuse the pun) with people taking their kids here, there and everywhere. And despite having a similar love of processed food, beer and sugary/fried sh ite, you hardly ever see fat people in the Netherlands.

Juzzie — I couldn’t agree with you more: cyclists need to help themselves where possible, but a bit of protection/segregation would benefit us all.

the european countries are and always will be better organised esp when it comes to bikes etc

uk roads arent and cant cope with them sticking a cycle lane in just makes the road worse normally as it takes out valuable road space

Poll: which is your favouite foot

another lycra clad prick on 11:18 - Nov 14 with 2332 viewsKonk

another lycra clad prick on 11:12 - Nov 14 by wombat

the european countries are and always will be better organised esp when it comes to bikes etc

uk roads arent and cant cope with them sticking a cycle lane in just makes the road worse normally as it takes out valuable road space

Is road space only valuable for cars, lorries, buses etc? If you got x number of people to leave their cars at home — imagine if there was no school run, people taking kids to ballet/football/karate etc — wouldn’t that free up a lot of space to start with? If there weren’t ambulances rushing round picking up fat people who’d eaten too many bags of crisps etc?There are probably three times as many people cycling in my office now as there were two years ago — when it becomes “normal” more people take it up. The main reasons cited for people not cycling in London are safety and then bike theft — good luck finding a spot to lock your bike up in Soho for instance. Sort both issues out and cycling would explode.

As for the assumption that the Dutch have always had top cycling infrastructure, have a look at this:

another lycra clad prick on 11:24 - Nov 14 with 2323 viewswombat

another lycra clad prick on 11:18 - Nov 14 by Konk

Is road space only valuable for cars, lorries, buses etc? If you got x number of people to leave their cars at home — imagine if there was no school run, people taking kids to ballet/football/karate etc — wouldn’t that free up a lot of space to start with? If there weren’t ambulances rushing round picking up fat people who’d eaten too many bags of crisps etc?There are probably three times as many people cycling in my office now as there were two years ago — when it becomes “normal” more people take it up. The main reasons cited for people not cycling in London are safety and then bike theft — good luck finding a spot to lock your bike up in Soho for instance. Sort both issues out and cycling would explode.

As for the assumption that the Dutch have always had top cycling infrastructure, have a look at this:

imagine if there was no school run, people taking kids to ballet/football/karate etc — - sorry konk but thats soooo fulham as a point to get across

think youll find the accidents this week are all HGV related so your argument about less cars dosnt help that situation or the tw@ts on bikes who think they can slide along the inside of lorries busses etc
ive love to see 2 tonne of concrete being delivered on a pushbike

another lycra clad prick on 11:37 - Nov 14 with 2304 viewsJuzzie

'Konk' - "I try not to do anything stupid or take unnecessary risks, and I always make sure I’m visible, so that might have something to do with it too. However, I do ca ck myself whenever I’m anywhere near a skip lorry (for instance) as they seem to be driven at about 80mph by blokes who don’t seem too focused on their surroundings. And a lot of these vehicles aren’t suitable to share the streets with cyclists due to visibility issues, which could actually be overcome with investment on the haulage companies’ part. I’m aware that I’m very vulnerable on my bike, so do what I can to keep myself safe; when I see people cycling without lights, with headphones on and fannying around on their phones, I’m shocked that not everyone has the same attachment to life. Ditto when I see people bombing through red lights almost irrespective of what else is going on ahead of them.

There are stretches of road that I would never go anywhere near, so I stick a few minutes on my journey by taking a bit of a detour to avoid those, but with the benefit that I have a more relaxing ride, and possibly a safer one too. I think councils providing free or almost free cycling training is a great idea to ensure that cyclists are better skilled to get safely from A to B"

Hi Konk, refreshing to see that someone takes their own life serioulsy with consideration about choice of route and visibility, a lot don't and seem to have a death wish.

The only thing I don't agree with is; "And a lot of these vehicles aren’t suitable to share the streets with cyclists due to visibility issues, which could actually be overcome with investment on the haulage companies’ part"

It's the other way around... bicycles aren't suitable to share some roads with cars/vans/lorries. Sure, skip drivers have got to be more aware but as I said a few minutes ago, these roads were not designed for cyclists so until an alternative route is available (and as you say they are albeit slowly) cyclists have got to take the approach they are the vulnerable party and act accordingly. I wouldn't put my life in the hands/trust/faith of any other road user. I look out for myself, I have to.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2013 11:40]
another lycra clad prick on 11:46 - Nov 14 with 2289 viewsKonk

another lycra clad prick on 11:24 - Nov 14 by wombat

imagine if there was no school run, people taking kids to ballet/football/karate etc — - sorry konk but thats soooo fulham as a point to get across

think youll find the accidents this week are all HGV related so your argument about less cars dosnt help that situation or the tw@ts on bikes who think they can slide along the inside of lorries busses etc
ive love to see 2 tonne of concrete being delivered on a pushbike

I know most major accidents involve larger vehicles - I was making the point about there supposedly not being enough room to give space over the segregated cycle paths.

I haven't seen footage of the accidents, so I can only guess what happened.

another lycra clad prick on 11:56 - Nov 14 with 2280 viewsQPunkR

another lycra clad prick on 11:46 - Nov 14 by Konk

I know most major accidents involve larger vehicles - I was making the point about there supposedly not being enough room to give space over the segregated cycle paths.

I haven't seen footage of the accidents, so I can only guess what happened.

The trick is to cycle like you think everyone on 4 wheels is trying to actively kill you. I haven't been knocked off my bike once since cycling this way

QPR - "shit but local"

Login to get fewer ads

another lycra clad prick on 11:59 - Nov 14 with 2274 viewsMetallica_Hoop

another lycra clad prick on 11:56 - Nov 14 by QPunkR

The trick is to cycle like you think everyone on 4 wheels is trying to actively kill you. I haven't been knocked off my bike once since cycling this way

I do similar, it works *toco Madera* Also keeping one eye on pavement...

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

another lycra clad prick on 12:01 - Nov 14 with 2270 viewsJuzzie

another lycra clad prick on 11:59 - Nov 14 by Metallica_Hoop

Same here, even on my motorbike I'm always looking out for an escape route!
another lycra clad prick on 12:11 - Nov 14 with 2258 viewsKonk

another lycra clad prick on 11:37 - Nov 14 by Juzzie

'Konk' - "I try not to do anything stupid or take unnecessary risks, and I always make sure I’m visible, so that might have something to do with it too. However, I do ca ck myself whenever I’m anywhere near a skip lorry (for instance) as they seem to be driven at about 80mph by blokes who don’t seem too focused on their surroundings. And a lot of these vehicles aren’t suitable to share the streets with cyclists due to visibility issues, which could actually be overcome with investment on the haulage companies’ part. I’m aware that I’m very vulnerable on my bike, so do what I can to keep myself safe; when I see people cycling without lights, with headphones on and fannying around on their phones, I’m shocked that not everyone has the same attachment to life. Ditto when I see people bombing through red lights almost irrespective of what else is going on ahead of them.

There are stretches of road that I would never go anywhere near, so I stick a few minutes on my journey by taking a bit of a detour to avoid those, but with the benefit that I have a more relaxing ride, and possibly a safer one too. I think councils providing free or almost free cycling training is a great idea to ensure that cyclists are better skilled to get safely from A to B"

Hi Konk, refreshing to see that someone takes their own life serioulsy with consideration about choice of route and visibility, a lot don't and seem to have a death wish.

The only thing I don't agree with is; "And a lot of these vehicles aren’t suitable to share the streets with cyclists due to visibility issues, which could actually be overcome with investment on the haulage companies’ part"

It's the other way around... bicycles aren't suitable to share some roads with cars/vans/lorries. Sure, skip drivers have got to be more aware but as I said a few minutes ago, these roads were not designed for cyclists so until an alternative route is available (and as you say they are albeit slowly) cyclists have got to take the approach they are the vulnerable party and act accordingly. I wouldn't put my life in the hands/trust/faith of any other road user. I look out for myself, I have to.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2013 11:40]

Juzzie — sorry, but I disagree — look at the amount of people cycling up until the 1960’s — loads more cyclists and loads less motor vehicles, and most roads happily accommodated them. Cyclists have just as much right to be able to get from A-B as anyone else, and in a city where most people could happily manage a cycle to school/work/shops etc, it’s insane that we don’t do more from a quality of life angle to encourage as many people as possible to cycle in our cities. Personally, I’d like to see dedicated infrastructure put in place that segregates cyclists and motorists where possible, but yes, in the meantime the emphasis is on everyone to travel with care, and that of course includes cyclists. However, Haulage/Construction vehicles can fit more/better mirrors, skirting helps prevent cyclists/pedestrians being dragged along etc, and there should be a drive to ensure vehicles are as safe as possible.

another lycra clad prick on 12:12 - Nov 14 with 2257 viewsQPunkR

another lycra clad prick on 11:59 - Nov 14 by Metallica_Hoop

Aye, I'm sure there's increasing numbers of people stepping out into the road without looking into the road 1st as well.

QPR - "shit but local"

another lycra clad prick on 12:19 - Nov 14 with 2247 viewsKonk

another lycra clad prick on 12:12 - Nov 14 by QPunkR

Aye, I'm sure there's increasing numbers of people stepping out into the road without looking into the road 1st as well.

I reckon about 15-20% of all people crossing a road in the city are looking at a phone when they cross the street. Does my nut in.

another lycra clad prick on 12:20 - Nov 14 with 2246 viewsJuzzie

another lycra clad prick on 12:11 - Nov 14 by Konk

Juzzie — sorry, but I disagree — look at the amount of people cycling up until the 1960’s — loads more cyclists and loads less motor vehicles, and most roads happily accommodated them. Cyclists have just as much right to be able to get from A-B as anyone else, and in a city where most people could happily manage a cycle to school/work/shops etc, it’s insane that we don’t do more from a quality of life angle to encourage as many people as possible to cycle in our cities. Personally, I’d like to see dedicated infrastructure put in place that segregates cyclists and motorists where possible, but yes, in the meantime the emphasis is on everyone to travel with care, and that of course includes cyclists. However, Haulage/Construction vehicles can fit more/better mirrors, skirting helps prevent cyclists/pedestrians being dragged along etc, and there should be a drive to ensure vehicles are as safe as possible.

I'm not saying they don't have a right, that's twisting my words. I'm saying these major roads were not designed for bicycles so if cyclists go on them with the "everyone should look out for me" (© Lib/Dem suggestion) approach then they're going to be in a whole heap of trouble.

The "1960's" analogy is pointless, Why not go back to the 1850's? A lot less cars then too. A few more horses mind. We're talking about today and today is a 'mare.

I'd love to be able to cycle to work (I happily cycled regularly around London until I was about 17) but I won't as I'd like to see my next birthday and as many as possible thereafter.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2013 12:20]
another lycra clad prick on 12:22 - Nov 14 with 2239 viewsJuzzie

another lycra clad prick on 12:19 - Nov 14 by Konk

I reckon about 15-20% of all people crossing a road in the city are looking at a phone when they cross the street. Does my nut in.

Amen to that.
another lycra clad prick on 12:24 - Nov 14 with 2236 viewsloftboy

Bracknell built an excellent cycle network in the late 70's, routes under all the major roundabouts.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

another lycra clad prick on 12:29 - Nov 14 with 2231 viewsKonk

another lycra clad prick on 12:20 - Nov 14 by Juzzie

I'm not saying they don't have a right, that's twisting my words. I'm saying these major roads were not designed for bicycles so if cyclists go on them with the "everyone should look out for me" (© Lib/Dem suggestion) approach then they're going to be in a whole heap of trouble.

The "1960's" analogy is pointless, Why not go back to the 1850's? A lot less cars then too. A few more horses mind. We're talking about today and today is a 'mare.

I'd love to be able to cycle to work (I happily cycled regularly around London until I was about 17) but I won't as I'd like to see my next birthday and as many as possible thereafter.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2013 12:20]

I didnt mean to twist your words. I'm just saying that most roads "were" designed as much for bikes as for motor vehicles - bikes used to be in the majority on most of our roads. Obviously that's not the case with all roads with post war development and expansion of some of our main roads, but I personally avoid those like the plague.

Essentially I'm in agreement with you - I disagreed with an earlier point by another poster, that motorists shouldn't be expected to sacrifice some of "their" space - the roads are for everyone, and the less cars on the streets of our cities, the better for all (yes, even those left in their cars). These people should realise that roads weren't built exclusively for motor vehicles with everyone else being a nuisance - there's a history of cycling in our cities, it's not some new fad.

another lycra clad prick on 12:44 - Nov 14 with 2206 viewsJuzzie

I doubt very much the Bow flyover/roundabout was designed for bicycles. This is what I've been talking about as this post got re-surfaced due to the sad deaths on there this week.

I agree with you too about bicycle useage a few decades ago but post-war the car has becomke king, whether we like it or not. It'll take along time for it to become safer for cyclists so in the meantime, they, like you, need to be so vigilant about themselves & their safety and so many are simply not.
another lycra clad prick on 12:51 - Nov 14 with 2196 viewsQPunkR

another lycra clad prick on 12:44 - Nov 14 by Juzzie

I doubt very much the Bow flyover/roundabout was designed for bicycles. This is what I've been talking about as this post got re-surfaced due to the sad deaths on there this week.

I agree with you too about bicycle useage a few decades ago but post-war the car has becomke king, whether we like it or not. It'll take along time for it to become safer for cyclists so in the meantime, they, like you, need to be so vigilant about themselves & their safety and so many are simply not.

Yes, but as the man said, *everyone* needs to be more vigilant. And that definitely includes idiot drivers (disclaimer; not all drivers fall into this category) who talk on the phone, turn out without indicating, drive too close to cyclists and - yes - speed up and fly through red lights.
I constantly keep my wits about me as I cycle around, but there are some driver movements there's absolutely no legislating for.
Conversely, cyclists shouldn't be listening to music or texting while moving about.

And pedestrians should look before actually stepping into a road!

QPR - "shit but local"

another lycra clad prick on 13:29 - Nov 14 with 2165 viewsrobith

As a predominant pedestrian, cyclists were for a while my principal source of antagonism.

However, recently I've opened my eyes a bit and realised the problem actually is that everyone in London behaves like an @rse.

I don't excuse a lot of cyclists' behaviour, but I do feel for them - they're attempting to get by in a city whose cycling facilities are not fit for purpose.

They do annoy me, but so do quite a few drivers (driving is an interesting experience - most of the traffic is casued by people just doing what the flip they feel like "Oh I want to be over there now" - cuts across 3 lanes). Was once nearly killed on Kilburn high road as a guy on his phone blazed through a red light - no cyclist has ever come close to that.

I also feel a great deal of despair every single morning as I see at Angel pedestrians stroll straight across the very busy cycle path without even a glance and then gobbing off at the cyclists who are entirely in the right.

But everything seems to just break down into an Us vs Them narrative, when actually we should all be working together to make safer and cleaner roads for everyone.

Though a confession - a guilty pleasure of mine is antagonising people who cycle on the pavement. They deserve evertything they get. I live on the Stoke Newington one way system and it boils my blood how people can't walk their bike 200m to the next turn instead of blazing through people queuing for the bus
another lycra clad prick on 14:30 - Nov 14 with 2129 viewsJuzzie

QPunkR, completely agree, I've said before that everyone needs to look out for everyone but my point is that each individual shouldn't totally rely on this and look out for themselves too.

I see many pedestrians just blindly stepping onto the road, usually gawping at their smartphone, as I'm sure their attitude is that someone else will look out for them. Do they really have that belief in someone elses ability not to kill them? I don't and I certainly won't put it to the test.

Robith, yes, you're right, everyone is just an arse and it is "I'll go where I want and damned be anyone who gets in MY way" attitude. Everyone. Pedestrians, cyclists, moped/scooter riders, motorbikes, cars, vans, lorries, buses, the lot. It's carnage out there!

[Post edited 14 Nov 2013 14:35]
another lycra clad prick on 14:39 - Nov 14 with 2120 viewsJAPRANGERS

another lycra clad prick on 09:39 - Oct 18 by Pommyhoop

Seven pages ??
Lets end this now. Lycra NO !!

Orr maybe .Hold on a minute..

One for the gays and the ladies I guess. Why would anybody wear something so tight that you can see which way they hang and their current state of excitement??
another lycra clad prick on 16:21 - Nov 14 with 2080 viewswombat

another lycra clad prick on 14:39 - Nov 14 by JAPRANGERS

One for the gays and the ladies I guess. Why would anybody wear something so tight that you can see which way they hang and their current state of excitement??

ok how about this then cyclists are banned from roads deemed high risk or with a speed limit above say 30mph thats a compromise lets the lycra boys feel a bit safer and it means hopefully less people are hurt by car / van lorry drivers not paying attention

A40
A4
Park lane etc
cycling is good for you no doubting that gets us fat feckers out of our cars and onto two wheels, so if its that good for you they wont mind keeping off main roads and using the smaller rds and maybe adding a mile or two to there trips , remember its doing them good so they wont mind a bit of extra peddling

another lycra clad prick on 16:31 - Nov 14 with 2072 viewsTheBlob

another lycra clad prick on 16:21 - Nov 14 by wombat

ok how about this then cyclists are banned from roads deemed high risk or with a speed limit above say 30mph thats a compromise lets the lycra boys feel a bit safer and it means hopefully less people are hurt by car / van lorry drivers not paying attention

A40
A4
Park lane etc
cycling is good for you no doubting that gets us fat feckers out of our cars and onto two wheels, so if its that good for you they wont mind keeping off main roads and using the smaller rds and maybe adding a mile or two to there trips , remember its doing them good so they wont mind a bit of extra peddling

Cycling is good for you?
Two words,Testicular Cancer.
And probably promotes Vaginismus.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

another lycra clad prick on 18:21 - Nov 14 with 2031 viewsdolcelatte

another lycra clad prick on 16:21 - Nov 14 by wombat

A40
A4
Park lane etc

How about we just ban HGV's from major cities during the day?

When all is said and done it's them involved in the majority of deaths.

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024