Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bottles and can deposit 09:24 - Mar 28 with 3873 views2Thomas2Bowles

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43563164

Remember when you could take beer bottles to the off-licence for I think 1p or 2p

I use to go to the back of what was the big odeon on the green and load up with empty bottles.

I guess today it would have to be 10 or 20p to make it work.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 9:37]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Bottles and can deposit on 09:36 - Mar 28 with 3058 viewscolinallcars

I used to take mine back to the General Smuts on the White City Estate which had an off licence section. It was a Watney house and if I had say, a Courage bottle I would soak the label off, but the bloke behind the jump was up to our little tricks.
Seriously though it's a good idea although radical for the Tories. Something has to be done about litter and pollution.
Bottles and can deposit on 09:39 - Mar 28 with 3047 views2Thomas2Bowles

Bottles and can deposit on 09:36 - Mar 28 by colinallcars

I used to take mine back to the General Smuts on the White City Estate which had an off licence section. It was a Watney house and if I had say, a Courage bottle I would soak the label off, but the bloke behind the jump was up to our little tricks.
Seriously though it's a good idea although radical for the Tories. Something has to be done about litter and pollution.

Yeah, I use to go to the Smuts as well.

Bottles and can deposit on 10:53 - Mar 28 with 3000 viewsRBlock

Great idea. The do it in Germany, where homeless people collect the rubbish also as a source of income. Outrageous that that should have to happen in this day and age, but an unintended benefit nonetheless.
Bottles and can deposit on 11:20 - Mar 28 with 2977 views2Thomas2Bowles

Bottles and can deposit on 10:53 - Mar 28 by RBlock

Great idea. The do it in Germany, where homeless people collect the rubbish also as a source of income. Outrageous that that should have to happen in this day and age, but an unintended benefit nonetheless.

Also, a good way for kids to make some pocket money as I use to do.

I don't see any negatives in this at all, should have been done many years ago.

But I'm betting the supermarkets won't like having to deal with all the returns and not even from their stores.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 11:27]

Bottles and can deposit on 12:23 - Mar 28 with 2899 viewscolinallcars

Bottles and can deposit on 09:39 - Mar 28 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Yeah, I use to go to the Smuts as well.

If I remember correctly the bloke behind the jump was called Sean, and would greet every customer with “ and yourself ? “

I'd only just started drinking then and would get those horrible Watney's Party Seven big tins of tasteless flat beer from Sean if ever we had a party or at Christmas.
Bottles and can deposit on 14:00 - Mar 28 with 2834 viewsQPR_John

Currently plastic bottles are picked up by West Berks council every two weeks. Cannot see them counting the bottles and paying householders so we will now have to take them to the local collection point to get the refund. So a simple system is to be replaced by worse system
Bottles and can deposit on 14:49 - Mar 28 with 2806 views2Thomas2Bowles

Bottles and can deposit on 14:00 - Mar 28 by QPR_John

Currently plastic bottles are picked up by West Berks council every two weeks. Cannot see them counting the bottles and paying householders so we will now have to take them to the local collection point to get the refund. So a simple system is to be replaced by worse system

It's worse as you have to take them yourself and get a refund ???

Bottles and can deposit on 14:59 - Mar 28 with 2790 viewskensalriser

You'll still be able to do that, you just won't get the deposit back.

This is long overdue. There should also be a standard container, like the brown 500ml bottle they used to use in Eastern Europe.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Bottles and can deposit on 15:48 - Mar 28 with 2757 viewscolinallcars

Something needs to be done and people need to have their arms twisted. Where I live, there is a big recycling bin that serves our little square of maisonettes - about thirty households. Apart from myself only about another four households bother. Even then, I'm not sure they use it properly despite the council sending leaflets on what can and cannot be recycled.

I have a mate in Hounslow who showed me his communal bin- full of all the wrong stuff. He even found a dead dog in there once.
Bottles and can deposit on 15:52 - Mar 28 with 2740 viewsloftboy

In Berlin last year the supermarket would only pay out if the bottles were from there originally, bit of a pain in the arris really, only way would be universal bottles that would be accepted everywhere in the scheme.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Bottles and can deposit on 18:27 - Mar 28 with 2691 viewsQPR_John

Bottles and can deposit on 14:59 - Mar 28 by kensalriser

You'll still be able to do that, you just won't get the deposit back.

This is long overdue. There should also be a standard container, like the brown 500ml bottle they used to use in Eastern Europe.

So what happens to those deposits that are not refunded who wins. Alternatively will councils that currently take plastic bottles set up a scheme to get the deposits back so in effect I will be paying an increased council tax. The point is I am recycling plastic bottles at the moment why should I be penalised because some people are not.
Bottles and can deposit on 18:50 - Mar 28 with 2680 viewspaesanu

Long overdue. Maybe it will stop some littering too, because the little scrote wants his 20p back.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Bottles and can deposit on 18:51 - Mar 28 with 2680 viewscolinallcars

The deposit would need to be hefty or people won't bother. I read recently that a large proportion of penny and twopence pieces are just thrown away, so people are clearly dismissive of small sums of money. The deposit would need to be £10, no seriously, about 30 pence per unit or people just won't get their arses into gear and recycle.
Bottles and can deposit on 19:12 - Mar 28 with 2674 viewskensalriser

Bottles and can deposit on 18:27 - Mar 28 by QPR_John

So what happens to those deposits that are not refunded who wins. Alternatively will councils that currently take plastic bottles set up a scheme to get the deposits back so in effect I will be paying an increased council tax. The point is I am recycling plastic bottles at the moment why should I be penalised because some people are not.

Some good questions there. You should put them to your local council?

Bottles and can deposit on 19:52 - Mar 28 with 2648 views2Thomas2Bowles

Bottles and can deposit on 18:27 - Mar 28 by QPR_John

It's called, for the greater good.

You could get you 10,20,30p deposits save up and pay towards your CT win win
[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 19:56]

Bottles and can deposit on 21:23 - Mar 28 with 2584 viewsQPR_John

Bottles and can deposit on 19:52 - Mar 28 by 2Thomas2Bowles

It's called, for the greater good.

You could get you 10,20,30p deposits save up and pay towards your CT win win
[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 19:56]

How can you save on money you have already spent
Bottles and can deposit on 21:37 - Mar 28 with 2571 viewscolinallcars

Bottles and can deposit on 21:23 - Mar 28 by QPR_John

You've spotted the one flaw in his argument !
Bottles and can deposit on 21:44 - Mar 28 with 2568 views2Thomas2Bowles

Bottles and can deposit on 21:23 - Mar 28 by QPR_John

Well if you are getting the money back by way of a refund, it's not costing you anything

If it comes in and you have no choice than to pay it, it's up to you if you don't want the deposit back and let the council have it.

You are worried that if the council take them, then cash them in, they keep your cash (deposit) so you will save that from happening by returning and getting your deposit back.

It will encourage a lot of people to recycle in this way, is that not a good thing?

There is a good chance the streets and parks and rivers and street bins and house bins will be cleaner, less for the council to have to clean up.

I don't see how it's that hard to understand.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 21:59]

Bottles and can deposit on 21:58 - Mar 28 with 2542 viewsTacticalR

And outside they're making all the stops
The kids out in the street collecting bottle-tops
Gone for cigarettes and matches in the shops

Van Morrison, Madame George

Air hostess clique

Bottles and can deposit on 22:45 - Mar 28 with 2497 viewscolinallcars

Bottles and can deposit on 21:58 - Mar 28 by TacticalR

And outside they're making all the stops
The kids out in the street collecting bottle-tops
Gone for cigarettes and matches in the shops

Van Morrison, Madame George

Bottles and can deposit on 22:49 - Mar 28 with 2489 viewsGloryHunter

The country lane that I live on is constantly defiled with cans, bottles, sandwich packets, McDonalds bags etc etc, that yobs throw out of their car windows. I go out for a walk up the lane of an evening and come back with a bag full of other peoples' litter. Never mind a deposit on bottles - what about a deposit on ALL packaging?
Bottles and can deposit on 23:37 - Mar 28 with 2453 viewskensalriser

People chucking stuff out of their vehicles is something that cracks my normally liberal demeanour. I'd have their vehicles summarily crushed and those caught throwing out still-lit cigarettes additionally get a fat cigar stubbed out on the back of their hand.

Bottles and can deposit on 02:14 - Mar 29 with 2380 viewsBoston

Bottles and cans and just clap your hands, just clap your hands....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bottles and can deposit on 07:58 - Mar 29 with 2324 viewsizlingtonhoop

This is my feeling too John.

Cans and bottles in the green (literally) bin, job done.

Now some prick wants to introduce money into it, to make it a rigmarole.
Bottles and can deposit on 13:43 - Mar 29 with 2241 views1MoreBrightonR

The reality is any deposit you receive should be funded by whoever used the packaging in their product. Good need to be sold not just factoring in the cost to product but also factoring in the cost to dispose of them. Local councils spend a fortune disposing of hazardous waste like TVs and fridges and batteries, while the companies that product them make vast profits. The cost we pay isnt the real 'cost'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024