Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report 19:41 - Mar 17 with 2212 viewsNorthernr

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report 17th Mar 2022 19:40
More late heartbreak for QPR against Nottingham Forest this season, as Steve Cooper's men followed up an injury time equaliser at Loftus Road with two goals in the last ten minutes at The City Ground to secure a deserved 3-1 win. 5

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 21:30 - Mar 17 with 1910 viewsstainrods_elbow

For what it's worth, I feel somewhat less sanguine about the outcome (though perhaps I'm also just a less sanguine person than Clive), despite the conditions, injuries and Forest fates all clearly loaded against us. It also seems as oddly foolish to me for both Sinton and you, Clive, to praise Field for being 'sensible' in his fouling, when it was from that self-same free kick that they worldied in their equaliser that swung the game. That said, they definitely seemed to get the balance of the referee's decision-making when it came to the flurry of yellow cards, though at least a couple of ours (including Field 's see above) were warranted, while Willock getting taken out of the game apparently wasn't.

The game, however, was badly mismanaged by Team Warburton in the second half and his recklessness with the subs, as I said on the match thread, and not just with the benefit of hindsight. Especially after Willock got crocked, Uncle, in a more forward role, was crying out to be used against his old club, to give us an outball on the counter, push them back a bit, and feed Gray. Meanwhile, Chair also disappears in action, which tells its own story about the tactics. Instead, we collectively stepped onto the backfoot, created nothing after the break, and ultimately got what we deserved. How Warburton can say how wonderful it is for us to get midfilders into to box to try to score a second and then stop doing exactly that, is beyond me - he clearly hasn't learned since the Blackburn game - either way, his 'pragmatic' solution didn't work either, so he and his baffling coaches need to be called out. A braver and more canny bench might well have engendered a different outcome. Forest were decent for the last half-hour, I'll concede, but nothing sensational. In sum, they deserved to beat us in the end, but we also beat ourselves.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2022 21:53]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 22:08 - Mar 17 with 1828 viewsterryb

I'm almost sure that the second Forest goal was a Dickie own goal as the deflection from Yates wasn't on target not that he would have deserved that). If it had missed Rob, it would have fallen to Surridge who would have been offside.

I was surprised that Moses wasn't moved to the left to try to combat the pace of Spence, with Albert replacing Wallace.

Overall though, I thought we played more football last night than we had since November. I'm disregarding the Reading game as that was so easy! Three points on Sunday is a must.
QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 08:46 - Mar 18 with 1410 viewsstevec

Hats off to those who went and their view of the game, I know it’s often quite different being there than from watching it at home.

As one of those watching at home, by the end of the first half, i felt we’d need a miracle to keep them out for another 45. Even first half they looked far the more dangerous side.

Also, rather like Hendrick, I hope we’re not now shoehorning Sanderson into the team. And why swap Dunne and Dickies positions? Dunne has been superb at CB this season, why on earth move him.
The man sniffs out trouble in his CB role, in his own box little gets past him. He’s also audible directing those around him, you lose that when he’s not the central defender. We won’t know of course, but would Sanderson have been a bit more alert with Dunne in his ear.

I’ll have a look in a minute but have we done anything but lose with Sanderson in a game. Seems to me he plays his own game rather than the team game.
QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 09:25 - Mar 18 with 1368 viewsAddinall

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 22:08 - Mar 17 by terryb

I'm almost sure that the second Forest goal was a Dickie own goal as the deflection from Yates wasn't on target not that he would have deserved that). If it had missed Rob, it would have fallen to Surridge who would have been offside.

I was surprised that Moses wasn't moved to the left to try to combat the pace of Spence, with Albert replacing Wallace.

Overall though, I thought we played more football last night than we had since November. I'm disregarding the Reading game as that was so easy! Three points on Sunday is a must.

Agree with your last paragraph. This was the old Rangers pre February.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2022 9:26]
QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 09:35 - Mar 18 with 1352 viewsBrianMcCarthy

All very fair, I think.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 09:58 - Mar 18 with 1309 viewsfrancisbowles

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 08:46 - Mar 18 by stevec

Hats off to those who went and their view of the game, I know it’s often quite different being there than from watching it at home.

As one of those watching at home, by the end of the first half, i felt we’d need a miracle to keep them out for another 45. Even first half they looked far the more dangerous side.

Also, rather like Hendrick, I hope we’re not now shoehorning Sanderson into the team. And why swap Dunne and Dickies positions? Dunne has been superb at CB this season, why on earth move him.
The man sniffs out trouble in his CB role, in his own box little gets past him. He’s also audible directing those around him, you lose that when he’s not the central defender. We won’t know of course, but would Sanderson have been a bit more alert with Dunne in his ear.

I’ll have a look in a minute but have we done anything but lose with Sanderson in a game. Seems to me he plays his own game rather than the team game.

I think we swapped our central defenders around to give the extra pace of Dunne and Sanderson in support/cover for the wing backs and the much slower Dickie in the central position, against a team with a lot of quick attackers.
QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 10:08 - Mar 18 with 1282 viewsstevec

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 09:58 - Mar 18 by francisbowles

I think we swapped our central defenders around to give the extra pace of Dunne and Sanderson in support/cover for the wing backs and the much slower Dickie in the central position, against a team with a lot of quick attackers.

Yeah possibly. Did something similar v peterboro and it didn’t work then either.
QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 10:14 - Mar 18 with 1277 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 10:08 - Mar 18 by stevec

Yeah possibly. Did something similar v peterboro and it didn’t work then either.

I thought on the night that it did work v Forest, but reading your post above I think that you're actually right, Steve. We probably missed Dunne's communication and leadership in the middle.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 10:31 - Mar 18 with 1261 viewsdaveB

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 10:14 - Mar 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought on the night that it did work v Forest, but reading your post above I think that you're actually right, Steve. We probably missed Dunne's communication and leadership in the middle.

yeah it was done to help Wallace out so we had pace in behind him. thought it worked reasonably well. I think if McCullum had been fit then Barbet would have started
QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 14:47 - Mar 18 with 967 viewsdaveB

quote about why he made the change frtom west london sport https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-boss-hopeful-over-willock-injury

gainst Forest, Warburton moved Rob Dickie into the middle of the back three with Jimmy Dunne moving the right and Dion Sanderson preferred to Yoann Barbet on the left.

Despite the defeat, Warburton was pleased with how the tweaks worked.

“Yoann has been excellent for us and it was nothing more than tactical, leaving him out,” Warburton said.

“Dion is probably the quickest defender we have got and putting him up against Brennan Johnson’s pace was the thinking and with Keinan Davis liking to drift to our right it put Jimmy up against him in the physical battle.

“This would allow our middle man to have the ball in Rob. That was thinking behind it and we were happy with the outcome.

“We played well, Rob was able to step into the midfield on several occasions and use the ball well so we were happy with that aspect.

“Yoann was bitterly disappointed, not because it ended his run of games in the team, which has been outstanding for a centre-half, but because every player wants to play and he had been good against Luton. But it was no reflection on his performance and purely tactical.”
[Post edited 18 Mar 2022 14:48]
QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 15:14 - Mar 18 with 917 viewsNorthernr

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 14:47 - Mar 18 by daveB

quote about why he made the change frtom west london sport https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-boss-hopeful-over-willock-injury

gainst Forest, Warburton moved Rob Dickie into the middle of the back three with Jimmy Dunne moving the right and Dion Sanderson preferred to Yoann Barbet on the left.

“Yoann has been excellent for us and it was nothing more than tactical, leaving him out,” Warburton said.

“Dion is probably the quickest defender we have got and putting him up against Brennan Johnson’s pace was the thinking and with Keinan Davis liking to drift to our right it put Jimmy up against him in the physical battle.

“This would allow our middle man to have the ball in Rob. That was thinking behind it and we were happy with the outcome.

“We played well, Rob was able to step into the midfield on several occasions and use the ball well so we were happy with that aspect.

“Yoann was bitterly disappointed, not because it ended his run of games in the team, which has been outstanding for a centre-half, but because every player wants to play and he had been good against Luton. But it was no reflection on his performance and purely tactical.”

I actually agree with him there. Just a shame that Sanderson made such a botched job of marking Yates for the goal.
QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 15:20 - Mar 18 with 901 viewsfrancisbowles

QPR wilt in the face of late Forest fire - Report on 14:47 - Mar 18 by daveB

The other point that was mentioned on the on London/Sinton commentary was that we were using Dunne's aerial ability as an outlet from goalkicks. Useful as heading is not Gray's strong point and in the absence of Dykes. It was easier to do this with Dunne on the right as opposed to the middle of the three.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024