Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City away 19:24 - Feb 12 with 3688 viewsLongashton

Hello from a Bristol City fan

Ahead of our forthcoming game I’m putting together the opening post for our forum’s (One Team in Bristol, https://www.otib.co.uk/?_fromLogin=1) match thread, which will be posted the day before the match.

I would like to include some perspectives from your fans so if anybody would like to share info please do, anything would be appreciated, fans thoughts about the game, players who have represented both clubs, tales from when we’ve met previously, a fans view on your season, etc.

Look forward to receiving info and to a great game.

Bristol City away on 20:06 - Feb 12 with 3497 viewsHastings_Hoops

*POP*
🤣
Posting on other clubs sites. by connell10 4 Feb 23:59
I know we have resident Fulham and Brentford fans on here, my question is does anyone on here post regularly on a another clubs site?

…looking forward to the match and thanks for visiting this board. I think there will be plenty of mention of the old *pop* thread from 2003.
[Post edited 12 Feb 20:11]
Bristol City away on 20:33 - Feb 12 with 3355 viewsthame_hoops

Bristol City away on 20:06 - Feb 12 by Hastings_Hoops

*POP*
🤣
Posting on other clubs sites. by connell10 4 Feb 23:59
I know we have resident Fulham and Brentford fans on here, my question is does anyone on here post regularly on a another clubs site?

…looking forward to the match and thanks for visiting this board. I think there will be plenty of mention of the old *pop* thread from 2003.
[Post edited 12 Feb 20:11]

You should add some context for newbies that weren’t around for the pop thread from the brizzle/Plymouth/greengob days
Bristol City away on 21:38 - Feb 12 with 3182 viewsHastings_Hoops

Bristol City away on 20:33 - Feb 12 by thame_hoops

You should add some context for newbies that weren’t around for the pop thread from the brizzle/Plymouth/greengob days

👍… taken from Clive’s Plymouth preview earlier this season:

“My ravenous hunger for any QPR content from afar brought me onto the Rivals message board as a precocious, cocksure, gobby teenager (as opposed to the precocious, cocksure, gobby adult you guys get now). Ron and Simon ran it back then, and the camaraderie with the Plymouth equivalent, their GreenGob et al, was unrivalled. We were united by our mockery of Bristol City, who’d spit teeth and bits of old boat at you when you visited Ashton Gate in those days (one change from Doncaster mum, honest) and ran a “Promotion Calculator” on their website which seemed to always result in them ending up on 112 points regardless of the results you put into it – four points for a win in those days, or so it seemed.

Things came to a head in 2003/04 – three into two automatic promotion spots would not go, and at one point City won 11 games in a row. Captain Brain Tinnion gave a public interview saying both QPR and Plymouth were “running scared” and that it could “all be over bar the shouting” come Easter when the three teams were all due to meet each other in consecutive games. QPR lost both, at Bristol, and at Plymouth on the day they sealed the title. We won automatic promotion anyway, such was the scale of Bristol City’s annual shit out that year. The QPR and Plymouth fans rejoiced together, a “POP” thread ran to many thousands of pages on the Bristol City message board. Plymouth fans hung sheets from motorway bridges to greet them home. They lost in the play-offs to Brighton. How we laughed.”

…longashton, aside from this, I have a lot of time for Bristol - they’ve done a great job with the stadium. Loved the *pop* thread back then and love it now.
[Post edited 12 Feb 21:42]
Bristol City away on 22:05 - Feb 12 with 3098 viewswombat

Bristol City away on 21:38 - Feb 12 by Hastings_Hoops

“My ravenous hunger for any QPR content from afar brought me onto the Rivals message board as a precocious, cocksure, gobby teenager (as opposed to the precocious, cocksure, gobby adult you guys get now). Ron and Simon ran it back then, and the camaraderie with the Plymouth equivalent, their GreenGob et al, was unrivalled. We were united by our mockery of Bristol City, who’d spit teeth and bits of old boat at you when you visited Ashton Gate in those days (one change from Doncaster mum, honest) and ran a “Promotion Calculator” on their website which seemed to always result in them ending up on 112 points regardless of the results you put into it – four points for a win in those days, or so it seemed.

Things came to a head in 2003/04 – three into two automatic promotion spots would not go, and at one point City won 11 games in a row. Captain Brain Tinnion gave a public interview saying both QPR and Plymouth were “running scared” and that it could “all be over bar the shouting” come Easter when the three teams were all due to meet each other in consecutive games. QPR lost both, at Bristol, and at Plymouth on the day they sealed the title. We won automatic promotion anyway, such was the scale of Bristol City’s annual shit out that year. The QPR and Plymouth fans rejoiced together, a “POP” thread ran to many thousands of pages on the Bristol City message board. Plymouth fans hung sheets from motorway bridges to greet them home. They lost in the play-offs to Brighton. How we laughed.”

…longashton, aside from this, I have a lot of time for Bristol - they’ve done a great job with the stadium. Loved the *pop* thread back then and love it now.

That POP thread brings back so many good memories

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Bristol City away on 10:03 - Feb 13 with 2507 viewsLongashton

Daft question coming up why was it called the pop thread?
Bristol City away on 11:47 - Feb 13 with 2335 viewswestberksr

Bristol City away on 21:38 - Feb 12 by Hastings_Hoops

happy happy days; I can remember driving back from P'muff with flags hung by the City fans giving us stick...

culminating in Sheff Weds fans giving it large when City took the lead in their final game and having, at that point, the upper hand. Then the goals poured in and we had the mother of all parties at Hillsborough and ended up back in W12 until the early hours.

The Rovers connection was always going to make our relationship with City tricky.

the *POP* threads were the stuff of legend
Bristol City away on 11:51 - Feb 13 with 2316 viewswestberksr

Bristol City away on 10:03 - Feb 13 by Longashton

I cant remember exactly but it must have been a 'your bubble has burst' kinda thing; others with better memories will be here with names & dates.

Please don't think the POP thing is us having a dig at you but it was a momentous period and with us & Plymouth having a bit of a love in due to your captains misplaced confidence, along with their and ours rivalry with you, it did became a pretty big thing.
Bristol City away on 11:56 - Feb 13 with 2288 viewsE17hoop

Bristol City away on 10:03 - Feb 13 by Longashton

Details here:
https://www.footballforums.net/index.php?threads/the-pop-thread-is-gone.62118/

I always loved this pic too after it went títs up.
[Post edited 13 Feb 11:59]

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City away on 12:29 - Feb 13 with 2191 viewsTheChef

Bristol City away on 11:51 - Feb 13 by westberksr

I cant remember exactly but it must have been a 'your bubble has burst' kinda thing; others with better memories will be here with names & dates.

Please don't think the POP thing is us having a dig at you but it was a momentous period and with us & Plymouth having a bit of a love in due to your captains misplaced confidence, along with their and ours rivalry with you, it did became a pretty big thing.

Brian Tinnion shouting his mouth off at Easter saying they were as good as promoted.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Bristol City away on 21:01 - Feb 13 with 1843 viewsPaddyhoops

My favourite away trip. Always stay over Saturday night. Looking for to another good night regardless of result.
Bristol City away on 04:36 - Feb 14 with 1556 viewsSydneyRs

At the time of the POP threads ,it was far more common for people to visit other team's boards and there were a couple of gobby BC fans that used to be on ours. One I recall was called "IRJD" or similar.

The Tinnion interview was incredibly stupid as who ever continues winning runs for any longer than the 11 games they already had? Law of averages etc.

As for the promotion calculator, it was even funnier than the POP stuff, with its unbelievably over optimistic forecasts for BC results and points totals.
Bristol City away on 05:40 - Feb 14 with 1500 viewsstowmarketrange

Bristol City away on 21:01 - Feb 13 by Paddyhoops

My favourite away trip. Always stay over Saturday night. Looking for to another good night regardless of result.

I’ve only ever been there once in March 1978.The police marched us the long way round from the station to the ground,which was a split open terrace in those days.The locals all came out of the pubs to welcome us on our route march to the ground,and even invited us to a game of pool as they were throwing cue balls at us from the other side of the terrace.
Stan broke his leg and we lost 1-0 in the drizzle.Just when things couldn’t get any worse,a police horse happened to step on my foot on the route march back to the station with the locals cheering us on our way.
Not one of my better away days,probably matched only by Sheffield Utd away on New Year’s Day 1990? when Sinton broke his leg and we got beat 1-0 again.

I hope it’s a better away day for those going on Saturday.
Bristol City away on 07:18 - Feb 14 with 1409 viewsPaddyhoops

Bristol City away on 05:40 - Feb 14 by stowmarketrange

I’ve only ever been there once in March 1978.The police marched us the long way round from the station to the ground,which was a split open terrace in those days.The locals all came out of the pubs to welcome us on our route march to the ground,and even invited us to a game of pool as they were throwing cue balls at us from the other side of the terrace.
Stan broke his leg and we lost 1-0 in the drizzle.Just when things couldn’t get any worse,a police horse happened to step on my foot on the route march back to the station with the locals cheering us on our way.
Not one of my better away days,probably matched only by Sheffield Utd away on New Year’s Day 1990? when Sinton broke his leg and we got beat 1-0 again.

Christ🤦🏼‍♂️. Times have changed.
Bristol City away on 07:33 - Feb 14 with 1372 viewskernowhoop

I remember going to Ashton Gate in the 1970s. It was a bit foggy. Rangers were 3-0 down at half-time. The fog became thicker and the game was abandoned 😉
Bristol City away on 08:05 - Feb 14 with 1293 viewsstowmarketrange

Bristol City away on 07:18 - Feb 14 by Paddyhoops

Christ🤦🏼‍♂️. Times have changed.

Things certainly have changed for the better mate.I will have to go back there again one day.
Bristol City away on 14:13 - Feb 14 with 1016 viewsKonk

Bristol City away on 05:40 - Feb 14 by stowmarketrange

When I first went to Ashton Gate in the late 80's and early 90's, it was always somewhere you kept your head down, with a lot of moody locals out and about, but once you were back in town, it was always a good away day/weekender.

Still plenty of moody blokes about, but unless it's one of a handful of clubs that City have a thing with, there's very little chance of you being started on if you're not acting up. I reckon it's got to be one of the best away games in the country. From London, it's far enough away that it feels like a proper away day, but without being a massive schlep, and it's 'reasonably' inexpensive to get to. 3,400 allocation, a good ground, you can pretty much drink wherever you want in the city other than 5-10 pubs that you probably wouldn't choose to drink in. Loads of good places to eat and drink near the ground. The only ball ache is that Temple Meads is a bit of a hike from the Gate, but there are some good pubs along the way and it can be a lovely scenic walk if you go via the harbour.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Bristol City away on 17:00 - Feb 14 with 865 viewsstowmarketrange

Bristol City away on 14:13 - Feb 14 by Konk

When I first went to Ashton Gate in the late 80's and early 90's, it was always somewhere you kept your head down, with a lot of moody locals out and about, but once you were back in town, it was always a good away day/weekender.

Still plenty of moody blokes about, but unless it's one of a handful of clubs that City have a thing with, there's very little chance of you being started on if you're not acting up. I reckon it's got to be one of the best away games in the country. From London, it's far enough away that it feels like a proper away day, but without being a massive schlep, and it's 'reasonably' inexpensive to get to. 3,400 allocation, a good ground, you can pretty much drink wherever you want in the city other than 5-10 pubs that you probably wouldn't choose to drink in. Loads of good places to eat and drink near the ground. The only ball ache is that Temple Meads is a bit of a hike from the Gate, but there are some good pubs along the way and it can be a lovely scenic walk if you go via the harbour.

I don’t think it was any worse than certain other away trips back in the 70’s really,certainly no worse than Villa or Birmingham where I also had trouble back then.I used to work with a load of Bristolians and I’d love to meet up with a few before a game sometime,but it’s a pain to get there from Suffolk so I’ve always put it off.Maybe next year.
[Post edited 14 Feb 17:37]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024