Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roy Keane! 15:59 - Jul 14 with 5615 viewsconnell10

I focking hate the weasel faced little gobshite!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Roy Keane! on 22:17 - Jul 14 with 4429 viewsBoston

yes

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Roy Keane! on 23:52 - Jul 14 with 4343 viewsbosh67

I wanted to see it really kick off with Ian Wright the other night. Like the whole smashing chairs over each others heads and punching each other through windows thing. I'd weirdly have my money on Wrighty.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Roy Keane! on 00:10 - Jul 15 with 4315 viewsbob566

Roy Keane! on 23:52 - Jul 14 by bosh67

I wanted to see it really kick off with Ian Wright the other night. Like the whole smashing chairs over each others heads and punching each other through windows thing. I'd weirdly have my money on Wrighty.

No hope. Keane would kill him.
Roy Keane! on 10:17 - Jul 15 with 4095 viewssmegma

I had to agree with Keane yesterday when he said " Phil Jones is not a good defender"..........
Roy Keane! on 10:39 - Jul 15 with 4059 viewsdaveB

I usually like Keane as a pundit but he has been ridiculous over the whole England fans getting excited stuff, fine for a player to takes things one game at a time and the England team seemed to do that but why shouldn't fans and ex players get a bit excited when their team reaches a semi final. Absolutely bizarre to have a go at people for that
Roy Keane! on 13:01 - Jul 15 with 3939 viewsBrianMcCarthy

He was the same when Ireland played in the 2012 Euros, and he was right. In theory. But, as we know as we get older, it's not enough to be right: we also have to be wise.

Back then he derided Ireland as a Nation for lauding themselves as "the best fans in the world" and all that craic. We were humiliated on the pitch and singing "The Fields of Athenry" for twenty minutes does not change the fact that we were happy as a Nation to just show up ad pat ourselves o the ack for not stabbing anyone while out of our trees on vodka. We need to be better, work harder, coach more, attend more games, coach our own players and do what other Nations have done - excel. What we do in Ireland in hurling and Gaelic football - excel.

But, then and now again, Keane failed to land that message. I was at those 2012 games ad he was right, but he came off as contrary and awkward because he barks his message. If he said it quietly like, for instance, Venables might, the everyone would agree. Instead he looks petulant and a bit of a joke. Making Ian Wright look sensible is some achievement.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Roy Keane! on 13:30 - Jul 15 with 3885 viewsTearsofrage

Roy Keane! on 13:01 - Jul 15 by BrianMcCarthy

He was the same when Ireland played in the 2012 Euros, and he was right. In theory. But, as we know as we get older, it's not enough to be right: we also have to be wise.

Back then he derided Ireland as a Nation for lauding themselves as "the best fans in the world" and all that craic. We were humiliated on the pitch and singing "The Fields of Athenry" for twenty minutes does not change the fact that we were happy as a Nation to just show up ad pat ourselves o the ack for not stabbing anyone while out of our trees on vodka. We need to be better, work harder, coach more, attend more games, coach our own players and do what other Nations have done - excel. What we do in Ireland in hurling and Gaelic football - excel.

But, then and now again, Keane failed to land that message. I was at those 2012 games ad he was right, but he came off as contrary and awkward because he barks his message. If he said it quietly like, for instance, Venables might, the everyone would agree. Instead he looks petulant and a bit of a joke. Making Ian Wright look sensible is some achievement.

Thanks Brian - words of wisdom as always apart from the "excelling" reference where you clearly forgot Irish Rugby. Keane has the ability to be in "Roundhead" terms right but repulsive and his survival in the media is becoming more dependent on his facility to annoy or aggravate.
Roy Keane! on 13:43 - Jul 15 with 3854 viewsTacticalR

That's the impression I get from Dwight Yorke's description of Keane's last days at Sunderland. Yorke was actually quite amenable to getting behind Keane, but Keane saw everything in 'you're for me or against me' terms and certainly wasn't going to stoop to explaining anything to anybody:

'Paranoia rampaged through the club, players were at each other's throats and fighting one another; it was disintegrating before our very eyes.

For the next five weeks it was like this and the results inevitably crumbled still further. And then, suddenly, I got a call from our elusive manager, who had not spoken to me since I was banished from the meeting.

'Yorkie, I know things haven't been great between us but I just want to know if you're on board with me,' said Keano.

I was so stunned to receive the call, never mind the question, that I couldn't think of an answer.

Instead, I said I would pop in and discuss it with him the following day.

Twenty minutes later I got a text from him: 'Don't bother - I think I've got my answer.' It would have been easy for me to tell him I was on board. I guess that was what he wanted. I'm sorry I couldn't do that.

I'm not saying I would not have thrown my support behind Keano eventually; such is the immense respect I had for him as my leader then I probably would have. But we needed to talk first.

By now I was convinced that club management was not for Keano.'

Clough had to have Peter Taylor to smooth over the troubled waters created by his acid tongue.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Roy Keane! on 14:06 - Jul 15 with 3810 viewsCamberleyR

[Post edited 15 Jul 2018 14:08]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Roy Keane! on 14:39 - Jul 15 with 3749 viewsbeanofire1

Keane was a winner and he demanded the best from those around him.

He talks it as he believes, no pussy footing around. I can admire that, even if at times, I don't always agree.

He's right about Phil Jones though mind.

'I knw I ain't doing much........but doing nothing means a lot to me.'

Roy Keane! on 22:42 - Jul 15 with 3503 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Roy Keane! on 13:30 - Jul 15 by Tearsofrage

Thanks Brian - words of wisdom as always apart from the "excelling" reference where you clearly forgot Irish Rugby. Keane has the ability to be in "Roundhead" terms right but repulsive and his survival in the media is becoming more dependent on his facility to annoy or aggravate.

I don't count rugby. It's a minority sport and we're only good at it because somehow other countries have bought our act that we only have four clubs. The four 'clubs' are actually provinces with huge populations, small wonder that they can sometimes get fifteen lads to beat towns from other nations.

Roy Keane! on 07:56 - Jul 16 with 3329 viewsdublinr

Come off it Brian. Rugby IS a sh1te game for posh boys, but I reckon your letting that cloud your judgement. Leinster v Gloucester isn't a province v a town - its one franchise against another. Irish rugby is competitive internationally (even if only a handful of countries play the game seriously). Can't say the same for GAA. How do we know we excel at hurling or football (Gaelic)? We're always the best in the world because nobody else plays. (I'm ignoring the international rules bollox.)

Roy Keane! on 08:14 - Jul 16 with 3307 viewsIrishR

Roy Keane! on 22:42 - Jul 15 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't count rugby. It's a minority sport and we're only good at it because somehow other countries have bought our act that we only have four clubs. The four 'clubs' are actually provinces with huge populations, small wonder that they can sometimes get fifteen lads to beat towns from other nations.

While im no rugby fan its sadly taking over from football/soccer in rural Ireland. In my town soccer comes a sad 4th in the pecking order of today's youth. GAA of course has the main pull and do their utmost to keep soccer down, there is more social pressure to play and be loyal to GAA of course which helps keep the numbers high and if there is any clash with matches and training GAA is always picked.
Roy Keane! on 08:27 - Jul 16 with 3284 viewsRs_Holy

Roy Keane! on 10:39 - Jul 15 by daveB

I usually like Keane as a pundit but he has been ridiculous over the whole England fans getting excited stuff, fine for a player to takes things one game at a time and the England team seemed to do that but why shouldn't fans and ex players get a bit excited when their team reaches a semi final. Absolutely bizarre to have a go at people for that

Ive just got back form a lads weekend in Dublin and I lost count of the amount of times we heard "Eh its not fuuck'n coming home now lads is it?" (usually in an Irish accent, but not always).
It seems the rest of the world saw all the "Its Coming Home" stuff on social media and regarded it as English arrogance as opposed to most of us just enjoying the moment and having a bit of a laugh at the same time.
Got chatting to a Nigerian fan (also supported Chelsea aparently ) who said the whole of the world apart from England was supporiting Croatia in the semi's because the English "are so arrogant".... I did take the pizza though when we got onto John Terry missing the pen in the Champions League Final and he said he actually cried. (In fairness though he really knew his stuff).
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 8:48]
Roy Keane! on 18:04 - Jul 16 with 3053 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Roy Keane! on 07:56 - Jul 16 by dublinr

Come off it Brian. Rugby IS a sh1te game for posh boys, but I reckon your letting that cloud your judgement. Leinster v Gloucester isn't a province v a town - its one franchise against another. Irish rugby is competitive internationally (even if only a handful of countries play the game seriously). Can't say the same for GAA. How do we know we excel at hurling or football (Gaelic)? We're always the best in the world because nobody else plays. (I'm ignoring the international rules bollox.)

I think we excel at hurling and football because I see our skills getting better and better and better. The skill levels are incredible now. That's what I base it on. And I think that if Irish rugby had to keep ten teams competitive at European level, they'd fail. But I don't really follow it so I might be wrong on that.

Roy Keane! on 18:07 - Jul 16 with 3042 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Roy Keane! on 08:14 - Jul 16 by IrishR

While im no rugby fan its sadly taking over from football/soccer in rural Ireland. In my town soccer comes a sad 4th in the pecking order of today's youth. GAA of course has the main pull and do their utmost to keep soccer down, there is more social pressure to play and be loyal to GAA of course which helps keep the numbers high and if there is any clash with matches and training GAA is always picked.

Must depend on where in Ireland you live, I suppose. Here in Cork the GAA is still infinitely more popular with kids, rugby is a minority sport and soccer continues to be popular in some areas. Makes you wonder why Cork aren't that good at the moment!

Roy Keane! on 18:11 - Jul 16 with 3033 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Roy Keane! on 08:27 - Jul 16 by Rs_Holy

Ive just got back form a lads weekend in Dublin and I lost count of the amount of times we heard "Eh its not fuuck'n coming home now lads is it?" (usually in an Irish accent, but not always).
It seems the rest of the world saw all the "Its Coming Home" stuff on social media and regarded it as English arrogance as opposed to most of us just enjoying the moment and having a bit of a laugh at the same time.
Got chatting to a Nigerian fan (also supported Chelsea aparently ) who said the whole of the world apart from England was supporiting Croatia in the semi's because the English "are so arrogant".... I did take the pizza though when we got onto John Terry missing the pen in the Champions League Final and he said he actually cried. (In fairness though he really knew his stuff).

I suppose I'm biased as I've so many English friends, but I thought that the 2football's coming home" stuff was light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek. And so did most of my Irish friends. There's no doubt there was some schadenfreude when England lost, but mostly it was just a bit of craic, with many Irish actually supporting England. How times have changed.

Roy Keane! on 18:56 - Jul 16 with 2987 viewsPlanetHonneywood

His antics in the 2002 WC did him no favours. But it wasn’t just what he did to AIH, but how he gloated about it in his autobiography!that makes the bloke a prime c..t in my book.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Roy Keane! on 19:39 - Jul 16 with 2938 viewsGroveR

Roy Keane! on 18:56 - Jul 16 by PlanetHonneywood

His antics in the 2002 WC did him no favours. But it wasn’t just what he did to AIH, but how he gloated about it in his autobiography!that makes the bloke a prime c..t in my book.

I think Keane is a còck but he didn't end up reducing the argument down to taking the pìss out of someone's accent like Jim Davidson's Chalky.
Roy Keane! on 19:45 - Jul 16 with 2928 viewsTearsofrage

Roy Keane! on 22:42 - Jul 15 by BrianMcCarthy

As regards the outnumbering of "towns" from other nations consider the total of registered players:
Scotland: 49,305
Italy: 82,142
Wales 73,444
ireland: 96,880
France: 291,202
England: 340,347

By the way New Zealand have about 150,000

So the notion of hordes of Leinster overwhelming the brave tiny square from Watford (Saracens) or the plucky but hopelessly outnumbered Toulousains doesn't quite equate. In the world of modern Rugby Union it's funds that have altered the fortunes of the big clubs. The notional salary cap works in different ways according to the home nations - clubs don't always declare their spending but in 2017 CLUB rugby (that includes non-Heineken) caps were as follows:

Wales - £5m
Scotland - £5m
Ireland -£7m (Per province not per club)
England - £7m( Per club not per province)
France between £14m (Lyon) and £27m - Toulouse

Both Scottish and Irish clubs are owned by their respective Unions and are not independent like the others. Sorry - no figures for Italy.

Brian - I am sure you realise that the population of Connaught (542,547) is smaller than the population of London (Saracens/Harlequins) so you can hardly describe it as "huge". Fewer people and fewer registered players live in Leinster, Munster or Ulster than live in London.

Figures show the latest populations are: Ulster: 2.106 million,
Munster 1.28 million, Leinster 2.506 million,

Toulouse: 950,000
Glasgow: 1.209 million
Edinburgh: 489,000
Cardiff: 484,000
Paris: 10.5 million

It's not numerical shenanigans which accounts for the recent strength of Irish Rugby - ask Wasps' charman if he'd like to amalgamate with Leicester and Northampton to form a "Midland Magic" side for the Heineken and he'd choke in his beer (probably champagne!). Sides operate independently because they have a catchment and a profit motive. Both English teams (through sponsorship and TV rights) and French sides (through ignoring the salary cap) can employ anyone they wish in terms of global superstars but historically only a few stay on creating a barrier to younger, hungrier players emerging. Ireland do not have the resources to attract the superstars neither do Scotland nor the Welsh. Currently Ireland has produced a crop of very good young players which, with a sprinkling of overseas magic has enabled success in the 6 Nations and Heineken. It may well that because the Scots have fewer human resources that they will need to adopt a Provincial system - good luck to them but don't slander Irish rugby's achievement by belittling it alongside the spending power of the English and French clubs.
Roy Keane! on 20:30 - Jul 16 with 2895 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fair enough.

I think it's weird that Irish clubs were thrown to the wall with the advent of professionalism and that four new clubs/franchises were created out of provinces that had previously held very little
Interest for the Irish people and I think it's quite clear that it gave Ireland a huge advantage, and I don't think that takes away from any achievements and certainly isn't slanderous.

Best of luck to them, I just don't think that winning a few Six Nations does it for me. But to each their own.

Roy Keane! on 20:36 - Jul 16 with 2889 viewsdaveB

Roy Keane! on 08:27 - Jul 16 by Rs_Holy

laughable though that people took it seriously, is like getting upset at fans sining we're the finest team the world has ever seen. The song is about England being crap but having hope that one day they might do well and bring a trophy home
Roy Keane! on 01:20 - Jul 17 with 2762 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Roy Keane! on 19:39 - Jul 16 by GroveR

I think Keane is a còck but he didn't end up reducing the argument down to taking the pìss out of someone's accent like Jim Davidson's Chalky.

Oh well that’s ok then!

Here are some extracts from his two books, about what he really thought https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11144315/Roy-

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Roy Keane! on 07:43 - Jul 17 with 2710 viewsGroveR

Roy Keane! on 01:20 - Jul 17 by PlanetHonneywood

Oh well that’s ok then!

Here are some extracts from his two books, about what he really thought https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11144315/Roy-

No, it's not. I'm not saying Keane is in the right here, or ever. I'm saying Ian Wright is a fùcking dog-mouthed cùnt.
Roy Keane! on 07:46 - Jul 17 with 2707 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Roy Keane! on 07:43 - Jul 17 by GroveR

No, it's not. I'm not saying Keane is in the right here, or ever. I'm saying Ian Wright is a fùcking dog-mouthed cùnt.

You do realise I am talking about the incident about AIH? As was clearly referenced in my opening post on this thread, and follow up link to his subsequent comments about the incident.

What I am Wright's got to do with it, I know not. Do keep on point Grove....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024