Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laptop Advice 10:18 - Aug 11 with 1391 viewsPlanetHonneywood

That time of the year I expose my complete and utter lack of knowledge about all things IT related.

My Mac of, ahem, 12 years is on her way. I think it fair to say that I did not trouble all the functions it had to offer. So I don’t need a fancy schmancy thing. The brief, such that it is: I don’t game; the full extent of my streaming would be Netflix; bit of surfing; emails, store pics (preferably on my external hard drive and not cloud) iTunes. Last time I bought a laptop, Gates’ stuff was preloaded, I understand you’ve got to buy it now so I’d only really need word and I might as well have excel.

Pretty basic so any suggestions for a reliable laptop? No idea on prices, but I’d rather pay a few quid to get a Charlie Austin (first time) then pay cheap, get a Joey Barton and it end with me beating myself up over it. So a Stefan Jo laptop equivalent.

French keyboards are not QWERTY, so as I’ll be back in oh west London soonish, if anyone could point me in the direction of a place where I could talk to an actual human about what’s the craic and have a tap on one, I’d be even more grateful.

Again, many thanks.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Laptop Advice on 10:31 - Aug 11 with 1361 viewsJuzzie

It's a bit of a minefield and can be quite subjective. If you've been used to a Mac for so long you may as well stay with it and go and visit an Apple Store, there's one in Westfield.

Otherwise it might be a trip to Currys-PC World as they do quite a range on Windows based laptops but remember, they're there to get the money out of your pocket so just be on guard they don't try and sell you something for £££££ that you don't need.

A Chrome Book might even suit your needs.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 11:09]
Laptop Advice on 10:47 - Aug 11 with 1319 viewslondonscottish

I've been getting Dells through work for 10 or 15 tears and even bought myself one as they are functional, reliable, not too expansive and I'm very familiar with the keyboard and track pad. I don't care what they look like and the fact that they are relatively heavy.

My wife, however, wanted something that looked nicer and weighed less so I got her an HP. Same for my son. Slimmer, lighter, more stylish, double the price but WAY less than an Apple.

Will check the exact models but along the lines of this;

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-eh0515sa-

They're happy.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Laptop Advice on 10:53 - Aug 11 with 1304 viewsozexile

I have a windows laptop and would like to upgrade but am terrified of moving all files emails etc. Is this an easier process now? It use to be horrendous. Any advice appreciated.
Laptop Advice on 11:03 - Aug 11 with 1280 viewslondonscottish

Personally, I stick all my stuff on Google Drive so it's easy.

My wife, however, had tons of stuff on her machine and I got Currys PC World to do it for hers for a small fee.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Laptop Advice on 11:10 - Aug 11 with 1252 viewsozexile

Laptop Advice on 11:03 - Aug 11 by londonscottish

Personally, I stick all my stuff on Google Drive so it's easy.

My wife, however, had tons of stuff on her machine and I got Currys PC World to do it for hers for a small fee.

Thank you
Laptop Advice on 11:20 - Aug 11 with 1219 viewsRog

The fact that you got 12 years use out of a Mac should tell you that's what you should buy again. I'm typing this on my home one that is 10 years old and its still good as gold. Yep you'll pay a bit more in the short term but the TCO will be way better.

I have one of these for work. Really nice.
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air/space-grey-apple-m1-chip-with-
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024