Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Prime Minister 12:10 - Jul 11 with 5296 viewsmingthemerciless

It looks like Andrea Leadsum is pulling out of the race. Apparently she's been upset by recent newspaper criticism. If she's so easily blown off course it's just as well she's baled out.

Teresa May sounded like a member of Miltant this morning. Putting workers on boards of Companies, changing the direction of the party so it's no longer the party of big business and the rich !

How stupid does she think we are ? The Tories have always been the party of the rich and the wannabe rich. I know that, you know that, she knows that.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2016 12:38]
New Prime Minister on 12:36 - Jul 11 with 3894 viewsTalkingSutty

Great news this, I think Mrs May will make a excellent Prime Minister.Let the hard work begin.There's nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself and to earn as much money as you want.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2016 12:39]
New Prime Minister on 12:53 - Jul 11 with 3832 viewsD_Dale

Memo to future Tory MPs: if you don't want to have the party leader chosen by a bunch of retired small businessmen, the fox-hunting county set, ladies who dine, quasi-ukippers and others of similar ilk who think the Daily Telegraph has become too left wing, then nominate for the second-place candidate someone who'll drop out and leave your first choice to be elected unopposed.

Or does the previous third choice - the ineffable Gove - now get on to the ballot paper?
New Prime Minister on 13:05 - Jul 11 with 3781 viewsmingthemerciless

It's not good that we've got a Prime Minister that nobody actually voted for. Lots of candidates seemed to have put their hats in the ring without really wanting the job but were looking to put a marker down for future career advancement.
New Prime Minister on 13:05 - Jul 11 with 3781 viewsaleanddale

When leadsum made the cruel low shot at TM for being childless I didn't think she would last to much longer.

What a wicked horrible thing to bring up.
New Prime Minister on 13:19 - Jul 11 with 3742 viewsmingthemerciless

New Prime Minister on 13:05 - Jul 11 by aleanddale

When leadsum made the cruel low shot at TM for being childless I didn't think she would last to much longer.

What a wicked horrible thing to bring up.

I think she realised the spotlight would be on her financial dealings and more relevantly her close families dealings.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2016 13:19]
New Prime Minister on 14:10 - Jul 11 with 3671 viewspioneer

New Prime Minister on 12:36 - Jul 11 by TalkingSutty

Great news this, I think Mrs May will make a excellent Prime Minister.Let the hard work begin.There's nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself and to earn as much money as you want.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2016 12:39]

Like the bankers you mean? Plenty wrong with it when it is at the expense of everyone else's well being but that has never troubled the Tories. Sadly they have no serious opposition.
New Prime Minister on 14:28 - Jul 11 with 3644 viewsTalkingSutty

New Prime Minister on 14:10 - Jul 11 by pioneer

Like the bankers you mean? Plenty wrong with it when it is at the expense of everyone else's well being but that has never troubled the Tories. Sadly they have no serious opposition.

No, not the bankers, I was referring to the average man on the street who wants to get out there and better himself, there's no shame in having aspirations and striving for the nicer things in life.

It doesn't matter what you're background is, if you are willing to work hard you can achieve and I know loads of people who have done well for themselves, many of them being fellow Dale fans.
New Prime Minister on 14:51 - Jul 11 with 3612 viewsmingthemerciless

New Prime Minister on 14:28 - Jul 11 by TalkingSutty

No, not the bankers, I was referring to the average man on the street who wants to get out there and better himself, there's no shame in having aspirations and striving for the nicer things in life.

It doesn't matter what you're background is, if you are willing to work hard you can achieve and I know loads of people who have done well for themselves, many of them being fellow Dale fans.

I've worked hard all my life. I just got 50 years work in before I retired. I did OK inspite of the system not because of it.
Login to get fewer ads

New Prime Minister on 14:57 - Jul 11 with 3596 views49thseason

New Prime Minister on 13:05 - Jul 11 by mingthemerciless

It's not good that we've got a Prime Minister that nobody actually voted for. Lots of candidates seemed to have put their hats in the ring without really wanting the job but were looking to put a marker down for future career advancement.

How quickly you forget.... Gordon Brown? Unelected PM from 27 June 2007 to 11 May 2010.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2016 16:29]
New Prime Minister on 15:00 - Jul 11 with 3591 views49thseason

New Prime Minister on 13:19 - Jul 11 by mingthemerciless

I think she realised the spotlight would be on her financial dealings and more relevantly her close families dealings.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2016 13:19]

Leadsomreleased her income and tax details to the press yesterday,
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/andrea-leadsom-finally-publishes-tax-838939
New Prime Minister on 15:11 - Jul 11 with 3575 viewsTalkingSutty

New Prime Minister on 14:51 - Jul 11 by mingthemerciless

I've worked hard all my life. I just got 50 years work in before I retired. I did OK inspite of the system not because of it.

No matter what system or which Governments in place, it still requires the individual to get out there and work hard. I'm a great believer that if you want to better yourself and you have the drive you can do, those people should be applauded but I get the feeling some like to ridicule the achievers as having had things handed to them on a plate. As though it's a class thing?

Because of reasons that I don't want to go into, my ambition when i left school was to buy myself a house as quickly as possible. I'm sure there's plenty on this forum who struggled to keep up with mortgage payments when they were approaching rates of 15% but as time progressed things got easier and house prices increased. Nobody gives it to you, you go out and work hard but if you want something hard enough I think you can do it. I remember being ridiculed once for buying my own house as though it was a snobby thing to do, I remember which side of the political fence he resided on also! Buying that house was the best thing I ever did.

My experience tells me that a lot of the successful people I have come across have succeeded through hard graft and determination. Whether they vote Red or Blue doesn't really come into it. Some people seem to wear the 'Working Class' tag as a badge of honour, I don't really know why they do that, you shouldn't put a label on yourself.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2016 15:26]
New Prime Minister on 17:07 - Jul 11 with 3486 viewsmingthemerciless

New Prime Minister on 15:00 - Jul 11 by 49thseason

Leadsomreleased her income and tax details to the press yesterday,
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/andrea-leadsom-finally-publishes-tax-838939

You must have missed the bit about " close family dealings ". If you were a " Private Eye " reader you'd know what I'm referring to.
New Prime Minister on 17:11 - Jul 11 with 3481 viewsmingthemerciless

Back on the original thread I'm pleased to see the political end of at least one of the " Posh boys who don't know the price of a bottle of milk ".

Will May find a place for Osborne and Johnson ? It'll be interesting. I suspect they may be sidelined.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2016 17:13]
New Prime Minister on 17:23 - Jul 11 with 3458 viewsYorkshire_Dale

New Prime Minister on 14:57 - Jul 11 by 49thseason

How quickly you forget.... Gordon Brown? Unelected PM from 27 June 2007 to 11 May 2010.

Trust the Bigots of Rochdale to re-gurgitate this one......Oh Gillian Duffy,what a Star.
New Prime Minister on 17:45 - Jul 11 with 3431 viewsColDale

I reckon within a week someone will find a Theresa May quote from a few years back where she has called Brown an unelected PM.
New Prime Minister on 18:30 - Jul 11 with 3400 views1mark1

Two wrongs don't make a right, if indeed you think it is wrong.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

New Prime Minister on 21:32 - Jul 11 with 3312 views49thseason

How about Callaghan then? Unelected PM from 1976 to 1975 following Wilsons resignation or Major from 1990 to 92 after Thatcher resigned? We dont actually elect a Prime Minister in the UK , it is not a Presidency so your false sense of indignation is wholly misplaced and inappropriate. There are no posters that say vote xxxxx for PM, we vote for our MP and then the winning party selects a Prime Minister.It has always been thus and always will be. Speculation about a General Election before 2020 is a waste of time.
The fixed term Parliaments act means only a vote of no confidence or 66% of MPs to support a motion are needed for an election within a 5 year period. Labour MPs wont vote for an election as most of them would be deselected by their local party and lose their jobs.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2016 21:38]
New Prime Minister on 21:51 - Jul 11 with 3286 views1mark1

New Prime Minister on 21:32 - Jul 11 by 49thseason

How about Callaghan then? Unelected PM from 1976 to 1975 following Wilsons resignation or Major from 1990 to 92 after Thatcher resigned? We dont actually elect a Prime Minister in the UK , it is not a Presidency so your false sense of indignation is wholly misplaced and inappropriate. There are no posters that say vote xxxxx for PM, we vote for our MP and then the winning party selects a Prime Minister.It has always been thus and always will be. Speculation about a General Election before 2020 is a waste of time.
The fixed term Parliaments act means only a vote of no confidence or 66% of MPs to support a motion are needed for an election within a 5 year period. Labour MPs wont vote for an election as most of them would be deselected by their local party and lose their jobs.

Absolutely agree. I personally would love to see the Tories out, but they have every right to continue until 2020, as they were elected under the terms of the rules of the time. Cameron was not elected PM, neither was, Thatcher or Blair etc, it was their party that were elected.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

New Prime Minister on 10:45 - Jul 12 with 3132 viewsD_Dale

New Prime Minister on 21:32 - Jul 11 by 49thseason

Going back beyond the 1970s, in 1940 Churchill replaced Chamberlain - and as far as I know there were no calls for a general election.

True, there was a war on, quite a strong reason not to start an election campaign. But today a period of stability seems preferable to more electioneering. (And that's from someone who has never voted Tory.)

Anyway, as has been pointed out, a divided Labour Party is more likely to lose seats. The SNP have so many of the Scottish seats and probably nothing much has changed since last year. I can't see the Lib Dems or Ukip adding to their support. Most probable would be a Tory win which would keep them in government until the autumn of 2021 (as it's as hard to predict the political situation then as it is to say what Dale's position will be).
New Prime Minister on 18:54 - Jul 12 with 3007 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Is just me or are the so-called moderates of the Labour Party just as diluted, if not more diluted, as the supporters of the guy they're trying to oust. Is Angela Eagle going to be any more popular? At least he inspires some people. I can't think of anyone she would inspire other than Blairites and I think there are less of them than there are in the Workers Revolutionary Dry Stone Walling Brixton Group.

They're going to have to split. New Labour want Tory and the left want social democracy.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2016 19:01]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

New Prime Minister on 19:11 - Jul 12 with 2975 viewsColDale

New Prime Minister on 18:54 - Jul 12 by BigDaveMyCock

Is just me or are the so-called moderates of the Labour Party just as diluted, if not more diluted, as the supporters of the guy they're trying to oust. Is Angela Eagle going to be any more popular? At least he inspires some people. I can't think of anyone she would inspire other than Blairites and I think there are less of them than there are in the Workers Revolutionary Dry Stone Walling Brixton Group.

They're going to have to split. New Labour want Tory and the left want social democracy.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2016 19:01]

Eagle strikes me as someone put up for the sake of it. She's hardly a party heavyweight, and seems to be rivalling Gove for charisma, and certainly doesn't seem to be oozing leadership skills. The writing was on the wall when Watson announced he wasn't interested (tho I still think he'll be leader going into the next GE).

IS Eagle there simply to displace Corbyn when he's not allowed on the ballot paper, and to earn all the anger for doing so? (He should be on there both morally and strategically)

I think there's a handful of capable candidates - Umunna, Lewis, Watson etc and they've been careful to not raise their heads at this moment, with perhaps one eye on a future bid.

Also she's been done in yesterday royally by the Tories by their announcement as she was making her's.
New Prime Minister on 19:21 - Jul 12 with 2961 viewsPorlicks

New Prime Minister on 19:11 - Jul 12 by ColDale

Eagle strikes me as someone put up for the sake of it. She's hardly a party heavyweight, and seems to be rivalling Gove for charisma, and certainly doesn't seem to be oozing leadership skills. The writing was on the wall when Watson announced he wasn't interested (tho I still think he'll be leader going into the next GE).

IS Eagle there simply to displace Corbyn when he's not allowed on the ballot paper, and to earn all the anger for doing so? (He should be on there both morally and strategically)

I think there's a handful of capable candidates - Umunna, Lewis, Watson etc and they've been careful to not raise their heads at this moment, with perhaps one eye on a future bid.

Also she's been done in yesterday royally by the Tories by their announcement as she was making her's.

It's an interesting legal battle.

The Labour election rules seem to allow the leader to be put forward.
But UK law generally allows the spirit of the law rather than forever arguing semantics (as it should.) So there isn't necessary an easy forward way for Corbyn to get back on with nominations.

So you've left with the morally bit, but that's very subjective.

Who are YOU with?

New Prime Minister on 19:30 - Jul 12 with 2939 views1907

New Prime Minister on 19:11 - Jul 12 by ColDale

Umunna lost his bottle last year, don't see what would have changed now?
New Prime Minister on 20:16 - Jul 12 with 2906 viewsBigDaveMyCock

The popularity of the party, Corbyn and Eagle to one side. The Labour Party had to make that morally right decision today. After Chilcot, who was scathing about the personality cult and blatant careerism in Labour surrounding Iraq, it could not be seen to be so contemptuous towards its own members again.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

New Prime Minister on 20:42 - Jul 12 with 2865 viewsD_Alien

New Prime Minister on 20:16 - Jul 12 by BigDaveMyCock

The popularity of the party, Corbyn and Eagle to one side. The Labour Party had to make that morally right decision today. After Chilcot, who was scathing about the personality cult and blatant careerism in Labour surrounding Iraq, it could not be seen to be so contemptuous towards its own members again.

I agree, but the outcome will be the same

If Corbyn hadn't been allowed to stand (and he wouldn't have received enough nominations from MPs) it would've resulted in a split by the far left

Now he's standing for re-election, he'll almost certainly win the membership vote, which will result in a split by the centre/right

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024