Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hill's reflection on Tenerife 19:31 - Jul 14 with 8858 viewsBallastBoy

Keith seems a bit reflective and down on his interview about the week in Tenerife. Spoke about up to 6 players who are just not developing and consistently on the wrong side of competent (ok I made that bit up). Said he will look to meet with them and possible move these players on, as they are constantly involved in losing games, not putting the work in etc...

I have no clue who they could be... but suspect there may be surprises in this list... maybe Cannon?
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:10 - Jul 15 with 2646 viewsfitzochris

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 10:58 - Jul 15 by 442Dale

One who was banned from using 'ctrl+C, ctrl+V' would be a start.

Absolutely. And also one that's not interested in being pals with the manager and players, just in developing a professional relationship that ensures we get accurate and up-to-date coverage.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:11 - Jul 15 with 2639 viewsTVOS1907

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:08 - Jul 15 by isitme

Interesting as I can currently watch everything and I have not paid anything to iFollow. My account did get migrated over from Daleplayer so maybe I get access until my yearly subscription to Daleplayer ends?

Possibly. I'll have to wait until it's control-V'd and control-C'd into Wednesday's paper...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:13 - Jul 15 with 2631 viewsisitme

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:11 - Jul 15 by TVOS1907

Possibly. I'll have to wait until it's control-V'd and control-C'd into Wednesday's paper...

To be honest you haven't missed anything that hasn't been paraphrased on this thread.
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:22 - Jul 15 with 2611 viewsTVOS1907

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:13 - Jul 15 by isitme

To be honest you haven't missed anything that hasn't been paraphrased on this thread.

That's not really the point. It would be nice to hear from the horse's mouth, as it were.

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:43 - Jul 15 with 2578 viewsboromat

After all these years surely we know now to take what Hill says in public with a pinch of salt.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:52 - Jul 15 with 2546 viewsTVOS1907

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:43 - Jul 15 by boromat

After all these years surely we know now to take what Hill says in public with a pinch of salt.

After the Shrewsbury game in April he was publically critical of some players, without naming them.

We had a few changes for the next game, with the missing players all being those the fans had speculated about.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 12:07]

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:55 - Jul 15 with 2528 viewsD_Alien

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:43 - Jul 15 by boromat

I'm less interested in what he says than why he seeks to control output then breaks his own rules, quite knowingly

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 12:06 - Jul 15 with 2498 views442Dale

There is no consistency apart from the lack of consistency.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 12:47 - Jul 15 with 2416 viewsdawlishdale

Hill mentions that there are some senior players who made mistakes which cost us games last season and that the same players are still making mistakes, and it will not be tolerated this season. He goes on to say that several players could leave before the season starts, and several new faces could arrive.

There are two players I can think of who fall into this category...but only one who played the majority of games last season. Both are defenders.

On top of these two, I can think of two others who hardly played that he may be alluding to, but I wouldn't call them senior players.

I have seldom seen Hilly so downbeat in an interview. Sounds like Bunney's injury could be a long term one as well, which I'm sure will have hit the morale hard. Hill said that he would have to bring in a left back before the season starts, which seems to be as close as we'll get to him admitting that Kitching and McNulty can't fill that role.

It's the exact opposite of what we are told by Leighanne, who was so upbeat about absolutely everything that you wonder if she is sometimes (perhaps under orders) too keen to report positivity.

I think that Hilly's latest interview is aimed at keeping us grounded, and managing any expectations, but I'd guess that he has had a big wake up call from the early pre-season, and has realised that the squad is weak in parts, needing investment to compete this time around rather than relying on the usual broken toys and cast offs.
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 12:55 - Jul 15 with 2400 viewsKnowlesy

This is why I was so disappointed when McNulty signed a new long term deal. He was the worst culprit in my eyes for making mistakes and giving away goals, and now I can't see him being offloaded.
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 14:36 - Jul 15 with 2257 viewsNigeriamark

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 11:08 - Jul 15 by isitme

Interesting as I can currently watch everything and I have not paid anything to iFollow. My account did get migrated over from Daleplayer so maybe I get access until my yearly subscription to Daleplayer ends?

My account does not seem to have migrated. It does not even recognise my old dale player email address when i ask for a new password so I have had to register a new account

Have any overseas dale fans gone for the 110GBP live video option? I can not find that option but wonder if that is because I use a UK VPN so I assume it does not recognise me as logging on from outside the UK ( I only get the 45 quid option). If you get the live video coverage, do you still get the radio commentary too in case the video is not working?
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 15:27 - Jul 15 with 2181 viewsPeaky

I will be trying the overseas package soon so hopefully I can get full access and all the game footage. Will let you know how I go
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 19:44 - Jul 15 with 1940 viewsShun

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 12:47 - Jul 15 by dawlishdale

Hill mentions that there are some senior players who made mistakes which cost us games last season and that the same players are still making mistakes, and it will not be tolerated this season. He goes on to say that several players could leave before the season starts, and several new faces could arrive.

There are two players I can think of who fall into this category...but only one who played the majority of games last season. Both are defenders.

On top of these two, I can think of two others who hardly played that he may be alluding to, but I wouldn't call them senior players.

I have seldom seen Hilly so downbeat in an interview. Sounds like Bunney's injury could be a long term one as well, which I'm sure will have hit the morale hard. Hill said that he would have to bring in a left back before the season starts, which seems to be as close as we'll get to him admitting that Kitching and McNulty can't fill that role.

It's the exact opposite of what we are told by Leighanne, who was so upbeat about absolutely everything that you wonder if she is sometimes (perhaps under orders) too keen to report positivity.

I think that Hilly's latest interview is aimed at keeping us grounded, and managing any expectations, but I'd guess that he has had a big wake up call from the early pre-season, and has realised that the squad is weak in parts, needing investment to compete this time around rather than relying on the usual broken toys and cast offs.

Really strange if Hill is as downbeat as reported on here. For those who have listened to the interview, does he actually say he's unhappy with six players as the OP states? That seems quite a large number to say we're mid-July and he hasn't done anything about them.

And if he does talk about the need for bringing in a new left-back, implying Kitching isn't going to be playing there, then where does that leave Kitching? Just what is his role in the squad? He didn't look great in midfield, and to say that's probably our strongest area of the squad I can't see him breaking into it.
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 20:08 - Jul 15 with 1895 views442Dale

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 19:44 - Jul 15 by Shun

Really strange if Hill is as downbeat as reported on here. For those who have listened to the interview, does he actually say he's unhappy with six players as the OP states? That seems quite a large number to say we're mid-July and he hasn't done anything about them.

And if he does talk about the need for bringing in a new left-back, implying Kitching isn't going to be playing there, then where does that leave Kitching? Just what is his role in the squad? He didn't look great in midfield, and to say that's probably our strongest area of the squad I can't see him breaking into it.

Kitching looks to be a confidence player and he didn't really impress much today - almost waiting for things to happen.

No comments from Hill on OS/Dale twitter after the game yet either.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 20:19 - Jul 15 with 1857 viewsisitme

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 20:08 - Jul 15 by 442Dale

Kitching looks to be a confidence player and he didn't really impress much today - almost waiting for things to happen.

Did the youth team player Kearney come on at left back? If so how did he play?
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 20:40 - Jul 15 with 1812 viewsD_Dale

2/3 days ago Kitching was pretty upbeat on the OS (maybe that was the official line; anyhow, still three weeks to go yet):

Mark Kitching has told iFollow that he has worked hard over the summer to make sure that he's fit and ready for the pre-season schedule.

Speaking in Tenerife, he commented: “Everyone has come back flying. I feel really fit and strong, so hopefully I can kick on. I’ve come back fitter than I ever have done and I can’t wait for the season to start.

“During the summer, we’ve got two and bit months off, so for the first three weeks I just chilled out, then since then I’ve been training hard over the summer — going on runs and getting into the gym etc to try and get as fit as possible so that I could come back and hit the ground running.”

And Kitching says he’s enjoying the week in Tenerife: “It’s going really good so far, I’m really enjoying it. It’s good for everyone to get away and get bonding.

“The Gaffer wants you to give 110-percent and you’ve got to do it, but all the lads are doing well so far.

“Training out here is a lot different to training back home. It’s more mentally draining, as well as physically, as we’ve got the sun to contend with. It’s about keep hydrated and looking after yourself, so that when you get on the training pitch you’re ready to give 110-percent.”

Watch the full interview on iFollow.
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 20:46 - Jul 15 with 1793 viewssykeboy

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 20:08 - Jul 15 by 442Dale

Kitching reminds me of Matt Flynn who we signed for a small fee from Macc after a couple of games on a 2 year contract ,he never progressed and slide down the non league ladder.Declan John left wing back at Cardiff available on a free
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 20:54 - Jul 15 with 1770 viewsBallastBoy

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 10:11 - Jul 15 by rkershaw

My sincere apologies Bolloxboy!!;)

I clearly have not thought through my username properly....
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 10:45 - Jul 21 with 1241 viewsDaleiLama

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 19:44 - Jul 15 by Shun

Even stranger is that he was commenting on how pleased he was with the squad and how flexible it was/how many options it gave him to play different systems and opportunities to attack teams in different ways before I went away. Then I got home to this.

Is this an exercise in "managing expectations" again. Do Dale fans really need to be reminded that games/results don't always go as planned, or in our favour?

Read a good line in a book on hols - "the mountains you meet in life are hard enough to climb, without building them higher yourself".

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 16:18 - Jul 21 with 1045 viewsShun

Welcome back, DL! I've missed your wise old Tibetan face.

Continuing the theme of pondering over Kitching's role in the squad (and not bashing him!), it's been reported today that Bunney's out for another 6-8 weeks, and Moore 12 weeks. Hill was quite forward in saying he'll be immediately looking for replacements for both positions.

Do we take from this that Kitching just isn't ready yet and is seen as one for the future? I'm not sure, he'll be 22 when the season starts, that's hardly Adshead and Morley territory. Or do we take it that Hill sees him more of a midfielder? Again, I find this strange as every time he's played there I think he's looked quite poor, and our midfield is the strongest and most well-stocked area of the squad in my eyes.
Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 16:41 - Jul 21 with 1013 viewsJames1980

On the subject of Mcnulty is there a bigger picture. For example when he has made mistakes were there other mistakes made which led to him being exposed? Are we expecting too much from League 1 players? If they didn't make mistakes or made very few chances are they wouldn't be playing in league 1

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 17:15 - Jul 21 with 942 viewsfitzochris

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 16:41 - Jul 21 by James1980

On the subject of Mcnulty is there a bigger picture. For example when he has made mistakes were there other mistakes made which led to him being exposed? Are we expecting too much from League 1 players? If they didn't make mistakes or made very few chances are they wouldn't be playing in league 1

When you start watching Dale, you'll see. Watch McGahey and watch whoever is playing as his partner.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 17:23 - Jul 21 with 924 viewsDaleiLama

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 16:18 - Jul 21 by Shun

Welcome back, DL! I've missed your wise old Tibetan face.

Continuing the theme of pondering over Kitching's role in the squad (and not bashing him!), it's been reported today that Bunney's out for another 6-8 weeks, and Moore 12 weeks. Hill was quite forward in saying he'll be immediately looking for replacements for both positions.

Do we take from this that Kitching just isn't ready yet and is seen as one for the future? I'm not sure, he'll be 22 when the season starts, that's hardly Adshead and Morley territory. Or do we take it that Hill sees him more of a midfielder? Again, I find this strange as every time he's played there I think he's looked quite poor, and our midfield is the strongest and most well-stocked area of the squad in my eyes.

Thanks Shun but the wisdom of my avi will regrettably not channel as far as to where Kitching will ultimately fit in.

KH seems to like 4 traits in his squad - someone who plays fast (not necessarily runs fast although it helps), some physicality (at least give as good as you get), good decision making and non-stop effort. In his debut, I thought his decision making was good and his effort ok, but he seemed a little behind the speed of the game and lacked physicality. From the times I saw him after this and from other reports about him, he seemed to stay behind the curve in these aspects. I'm also not bashing him either, as he seemed to have a nice touch on him, but my guess is he's where Bunney was at when KH was getting frustrated with him ....... not quite up to speed to cope with the rigours of first team footy. As you say, he should be old enough but everyone develops at different speeds. I still think there is a player in there but as another wise old man said, patience grasshopper. We have to trust in the process. It succeeds much more often than it fails.

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 17:24 - Jul 21 with 924 viewsAtThePeake

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 10:45 - Jul 21 by DaleiLama

Even stranger is that he was commenting on how pleased he was with the squad and how flexible it was/how many options it gave him to play different systems and opportunities to attack teams in different ways before I went away. Then I got home to this.

Is this an exercise in "managing expectations" again. Do Dale fans really need to be reminded that games/results don't always go as planned, or in our favour?

Read a good line in a book on hols - "the mountains you meet in life are hard enough to climb, without building them higher yourself".

"Do Dale fans really need to be reminded that games/results don't always go as planned, or in our favour? "

Wait for us to lose back-to-back games in the season and watch the meltdown on Twitter and then ask yourself that question again.

Tangled up in blue.

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 17:26 - Jul 21 with 911 viewsDaleiLama

Hill's reflection on Tenerife on 17:24 - Jul 21 by AtThePeake

"Do Dale fans really need to be reminded that games/results don't always go as planned, or in our favour? "

Wait for us to lose back-to-back games in the season and watch the meltdown on Twitter and then ask yourself that question again.

Chuckle. You can't take the jerk out of knee jerk!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024