Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jordan Williams (11) 17:52 - Nov 5 with 12342 viewsgeraldo

I realise that he has an amazing amount of energy but I cannot ever see him scoring a goal in Lg1
He seems to be part of Hill's starting line up with Calvin coming on after an hour. Why Clough only comes on for a few minutes is hard to understand - he had the best 2 shots on Saturday hitting the bar with an effort that no one else would have attempted. Had he been on from the start I am convinced he would have put away at least one of our many chances in the first half.
Jordan Williams (11) on 17:50 - Nov 6 with 3327 viewsfitzochris

Jordan Williams (11) on 16:55 - Nov 6 by Yorkshire_Dale

...he of the "promised" friendly with Glasgow Celtic?

No.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Jordan Williams (11) on 17:52 - Nov 6 with 3316 viewsNigeriamark

Jordan Williams (11) on 15:41 - Nov 6 by rich_dale

Zac Hughes...1980s Freudian slip...

brain not in gear today. Everything I said about Hughes i mean Clough !!! (Zac not Brian)
Jordan Williams (11) on 04:22 - Nov 7 with 3148 viewsCanaDale

I'm a big fan of JW, I always like players who put in the effort, and he will give you 100% for the team, the goals will come I'm sure. He surely has benefited from a clear run through pre-season, and has bought into Hill's way of playing, like any good forward player, he defends from the front and must be a nightmare to play against.
Jordan Williams (11) on 07:26 - Nov 7 with 3110 viewsBass1

Jordan Williams (11) on 11:51 - Nov 6 by Yorkshire_Dale

Hilly does seem to be determined to make JW11 a success (and get a return on our £100k?)

He is certainly doing well as demo'd by the standing applause he got on Saturday when subbed....now if he could just get another goal.

Keep it up young man.

Yes, totally agree, he had a good game on Saturday, just needs a goal, then watch him go!

Jordan Williams (11) on 13:04 - Nov 7 with 2959 viewsDaleFan7

He is a likeable player for the effort he puts in and things but I can't see him ever really being a goal scorer. Even improvement possibly 10 goals a season max I could see out of him. Which in our system as a lone striker isn't enough. Though it's more than what we currently have other than Henderson when he's played up top not defensive midfielder.

Can't fault his effort and he's clearly doing everything Hill wants him to, otherwise he'd have disappeared like many others. Whether he'll live up to the price tag remains to be seen. Hope so.
Jordan Williams (11) on 15:12 - Nov 7 with 2878 viewshull_dale19

Just a theory - and I may be talking codswallop here - but I think JW11 was up against it from the minute he was brought in.

Bought for a significant outlay, given the number 11 shirt and labelled as the direct replacement for Mendez-Laing.

I think putting that brand on him was unfair on a player who would have inevitably needed time to adjust to the step up to league football.

Fair play to him, he's come back and clearly trained the house down and I think he offers us a lot in the position he's currently in.

Do I want to see more of Clough? Absolutely, but I've no problem with JW being in the team at the moment. All the very best to him!
Jordan Williams (11) on 16:35 - Nov 7 with 2807 viewsDaleiLama

Jordan Williams (11) on 15:12 - Nov 7 by hull_dale19

Just a theory - and I may be talking codswallop here - but I think JW11 was up against it from the minute he was brought in.

Bought for a significant outlay, given the number 11 shirt and labelled as the direct replacement for Mendez-Laing.

I think putting that brand on him was unfair on a player who would have inevitably needed time to adjust to the step up to league football.

Fair play to him, he's come back and clearly trained the house down and I think he offers us a lot in the position he's currently in.

Do I want to see more of Clough? Absolutely, but I've no problem with JW being in the team at the moment. All the very best to him!

I think you're right and I think the majority of Dale fans want him to do well and will give him time. There will also be those who second guess every decision and think they know better. The latter crew may be proved right in the end but for me it's too early to tell and the sample size is too small. He has shown a clear progression. The questions that will be answered in time are will that continue and where is the ceiling. Patience grasshopper.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Jordan Williams (11) on 17:36 - Nov 7 with 2751 viewsD_Alien

Jordan Williams (11) on 15:12 - Nov 7 by hull_dale19

I very much agree with your views on JW having a Mendez-Laing-sized hole to fill... but just to add that there's nothing inevitable about players brought in from non-league needing time to adjust. There's some very good examples of players (Jamie Vardy being the most prominent recent one to step up) who made the transition like a duck to water

I guess the outlay may have indicated to a lot of us (myself included) that it was judged he was almost ready for L1 and that it's taken a considerable amount of time has been frustrating for fans as well as, i'm sure, JW himself

Full credit to him for not becoming disheartened and for showing huge determination to make himself integral to Hilly's plans; and to the manager too for not giving up on him. I wonder how much the reaction of some fans to him being brought on/taken off and finally scoring has been a part of that?
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 17:40]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Jordan Williams (11) on 07:53 - Nov 8 with 2603 viewsEllDale

Let's not forget that NML wasn't an instant success when he first arrived.
I remember people on here being on his case in the first few months.
Jordan Williams (11) on 08:43 - Nov 8 with 2565 viewsDaleiLama

Jordan Williams (11) on 07:53 - Nov 8 by EllDale

Let's not forget that NML wasn't an instant success when he first arrived.
I remember people on here being on his case in the first few months.

Hardly seems believable?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Jordan Williams (11) on 16:24 - Nov 20 with 2277 viewsJames1980

Now he is off the mark with his first league goal, fingers crossed that will have boosted his confidence and he will bag many more over the course of the season.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Jordan Williams (11) on 07:03 - Nov 21 with 1958 viewsTipperaryDale

I don't recall Scott Hogan or Craig Dawson needing much time to adjust to league football.

JW might run hard and do what is said of him by the manager; unfortunately he lacks the things which make the difference at this level, which are touch, pace and skill to beat a man. What does he offer that Matty Gillam doesn't?
Jordan Williams (11) on 09:54 - Nov 21 with 1875 viewsdingdangblue

Jordan Williams (11) on 16:24 - Nov 20 by James1980

Now he is off the mark with his first league goal, fingers crossed that will have boosted his confidence and he will bag many more over the course of the season.

Hopefully not at the expense of Hendo.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Jordan Williams (11) on 10:09 - Nov 21 with 1864 viewsjonahwhereru

I was listening to Peter Crouch the other day talking about his start at Liverpool. Benetiz asked him to play on the left. He wasn’t among the goals and was feeling pressure from the fans and press.

He decided to ignore Benetiz instructions and began scoring. When Benetiz spoke to him about not doing the job he was asked to do Crouch explained his take on things. One game later he was dropped for not following instructions.

Goals for front men are always used as a marker off success, but in reality it’s the effect and team ethic managers are interested in the most.

That is why despite his low average goals per game stat Calvin will always be valued by Hill, and me as it happens. In the same vain Williams is valued for his all round contribution.

I am not expecting more than a handful more goals from him this season..

Keep you head down and doing what your told son.
Jordan Williams (11) on 11:36 - Nov 21 with 1817 viewsTipperaryDale

How many strikers can we have that are praised for all-round contribution? If all of our strikers get a 'handful of goals' - ie about 5; where are all our goals going to come from? Hendo alone?

Never mind all-round contribution, we need a natural finisher other than Hendo. Especially if we've got him in midfield.
Jordan Williams (11) on 12:36 - Nov 21 with 1758 viewsJimmyRustler

I sincerely hope that we didn't pay £100k for a player who simply huffs, puffs and harasses. A dirty phonecall serves the same purpose and you can get them for free (if you're lucky). JW was brought in to get goals and positively affect games. If he doesn't do this then his move will rightly be deemed as yet another non-league punt that has failed
Jordan Williams (11) on 13:25 - Nov 21 with 1679 viewssweetcorn

Jordan Williams (11) on 17:36 - Nov 7 by D_Alien

I very much agree with your views on JW having a Mendez-Laing-sized hole to fill... but just to add that there's nothing inevitable about players brought in from non-league needing time to adjust. There's some very good examples of players (Jamie Vardy being the most prominent recent one to step up) who made the transition like a duck to water

I guess the outlay may have indicated to a lot of us (myself included) that it was judged he was almost ready for L1 and that it's taken a considerable amount of time has been frustrating for fans as well as, i'm sure, JW himself

Full credit to him for not becoming disheartened and for showing huge determination to make himself integral to Hilly's plans; and to the manager too for not giving up on him. I wonder how much the reaction of some fans to him being brought on/taken off and finally scoring has been a part of that?
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 17:40]

Vardy took 12 month to settle in at Leicester and become a regular..

Never saw JW as a replacement for mendez-laing myself, thought he was going to be more of a hard working peter vincentti replacement (minus the height), I personally thought matt done was brought in as the big name who could step into NML shoes, unfortunately done is a shadow of the player we sold to Sheffield.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Jordan Williams (11) on 13:27 - Nov 21 with 1679 viewsTomRAFC

I'm a big fan of his work rate, but is he showing much footballing ability? He's a player we'd all love to see come good and recreate what he was capable of in non-league at league one level. This may sound harsh but my concern is given current form we need to be considering whether or not he is impressing enough in a skill sense to justify his place in the team. Is he being a hard working Chris Dagnall, or a hard working George Donnely?

Clough/HEnderson up front would be an interesting combo for me as players making runs through on goal. If Hill is going to continue with Hendo in midfield then I'd like to see Clough given a chance to play alongside Calvin, and be the nippy player on the end of Calvin's headers that we've been wanting for a while.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Jordan Williams (11) on 13:33 - Nov 21 with 1665 viewstony_roch975

Jordan Williams (11) on 13:27 - Nov 21 by TomRAFC

I'm a big fan of his work rate, but is he showing much footballing ability? He's a player we'd all love to see come good and recreate what he was capable of in non-league at league one level. This may sound harsh but my concern is given current form we need to be considering whether or not he is impressing enough in a skill sense to justify his place in the team. Is he being a hard working Chris Dagnall, or a hard working George Donnely?

Clough/HEnderson up front would be an interesting combo for me as players making runs through on goal. If Hill is going to continue with Hendo in midfield then I'd like to see Clough given a chance to play alongside Calvin, and be the nippy player on the end of Calvin's headers that we've been wanting for a while.

Dagnall is an interesting comparison - Hill preferred him over Alfie because of his pressing & work rate; Alfie was a far better goal poacher but without the ball the team was a man light. Equally playing Clough possibly weakness the defensive strength of the team - tho Clough or Inman is a closer call.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Jordan Williams (11) on 13:33 - Nov 21 with 1663 viewssweetcorn

Jordan Williams (11) on 13:27 - Nov 21 by TomRAFC

Agree about clough and Henderson linking up. We've already seen it once against Doncaster and to be fair it worked, its the best movement in the final third I've seen from us this season.

That front 3 of inman, Henderson and clough, carved through Doncaster that afternoon, we were just wasteful and never took our chances.

I want Hill to give that front 3 another go..

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Jordan Williams (11) on 16:36 - Nov 21 with 1500 viewsrochdaleriddler

Jordan Williams (11) on 13:33 - Nov 21 by tony_roch975

Dagnall is an interesting comparison - Hill preferred him over Alfie because of his pressing & work rate; Alfie was a far better goal poacher but without the ball the team was a man light. Equally playing Clough possibly weakness the defensive strength of the team - tho Clough or Inman is a closer call.

Did you just say ‘the defensive strength of the team’

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Jordan Williams (11) on 16:48 - Nov 21 with 1482 viewsJames1980

Hopefully scoring his first league goal will have got the monkey off JW11's back (if he did have one of course). That it will give him confidence to at least try and take a few more attempts on goal. Who knows he might not score any more, but some of those attempts might get spilled by the keeper into the path of another player in the area resulting in a goal. A shot could lead to a corner. He might find himself drawing fouls in and around the area resulting in a penalty or free kick. All potentially leading to a higher figure in the goals for tally.
Hopefully one positive from the Shrewsbury game is Inman and Williams11 scoring. That they will start thinking 'you know what if I shoot I might just score here'. In turn other players in a goal scoring position will think the same and a reaction of shooting and scoring confidence will explode throughout the team.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Jordan Williams (11) on 17:33 - Nov 21 with 1440 viewsShun

Jordan Williams (11) on 13:33 - Nov 21 by sweetcorn

Agree about clough and Henderson linking up. We've already seen it once against Doncaster and to be fair it worked, its the best movement in the final third I've seen from us this season.

That front 3 of inman, Henderson and clough, carved through Doncaster that afternoon, we were just wasteful and never took our chances.

I want Hill to give that front 3 another go..

I’d love that front 3. Although personally the best attacking performance of the season I’ve seen was at Scunthorpe. That day we lined up with a:

_________Henderson_______
_Andrew___Clough___Rathbone_
______Camps____Cannon_____

Clough was replaced by Gillam but that attacking lineup saw us have 19 shots in a sensational attacking display, albeit marred by us gifting them a 3 goal lead to start off. The fact that of those 7 players only 3 are anywhere near the team now goes some way to explaining our current goalscoring problems I think.

The reality is though that we have the second highest goalscorer in the league, and until he starts playing every single game as a forward instead of a midfielder then the problems we have will probably continue.
Jordan Williams (11) on 17:59 - Nov 21 with 1406 viewsrichfoad32

Jordan Williams (11) on 17:33 - Nov 21 by Shun

I’d love that front 3. Although personally the best attacking performance of the season I’ve seen was at Scunthorpe. That day we lined up with a:

_________Henderson_______
_Andrew___Clough___Rathbone_
______Camps____Cannon_____

Clough was replaced by Gillam but that attacking lineup saw us have 19 shots in a sensational attacking display, albeit marred by us gifting them a 3 goal lead to start off. The fact that of those 7 players only 3 are anywhere near the team now goes some way to explaining our current goalscoring problems I think.

The reality is though that we have the second highest goalscorer in the league, and until he starts playing every single game as a forward instead of a midfielder then the problems we have will probably continue.

We didn't gift them a 3 goal lead, we were 2-0 and 3-1 down. Sorry to be pedantic, agree with everything else you say...
Jordan Williams (11) on 18:23 - Nov 21 with 1355 viewsShun

Jordan Williams (11) on 17:59 - Nov 21 by richfoad32

We didn't gift them a 3 goal lead, we were 2-0 and 3-1 down. Sorry to be pedantic, agree with everything else you say...

Fair point, my mistake!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024