Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading The Ball 09:18 - Jan 16 with 15516 viewsmingthemerciless

It's just been on the news that school children in Scotland under the age of 12 will be banned from heading the ball in training but not in actual games. Is this the start of heading the ball becoming outlawed ? What would the game look like without heading ?
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 14:46]
Heading The Ball on 04:46 - Jan 17 with 1769 viewsDiddyDave

Heading The Ball on 02:46 - Jan 17 by frenzied

How about footy players wearing boxing type head guards?

Don`t encourage them Frenzied!
Heading The Ball on 10:41 - Jan 17 with 1676 viewsAtThePeake

Heading The Ball on 02:24 - Jan 17 by DiddyDave

What next? As has been mentioned,modern day footballs are light years away from the old caseys that Arthur Daley and myself played with for Heybrook Junior School in the late fifties. Ming knows about them,heading was indeed not very nice particularly if you headed the lace part,but really,the 2020 footballs are bloody plastic coated. The wowsers and so called "health experts" win again by the look of it. They`ll be banning players from playing in boots soon,furry slippers only please.

They won't though will they?

Tangled up in blue.

Heading The Ball on 11:27 - Jan 17 with 1651 viewsnordenblue

What next? As has been mentioned,modern day footballs are light years away from the old caseys that Arthur Daley and myself played with for Heybrook Junior School in the late fifties. Ming knows about them,heading was indeed not very nice particularly if you headed the lace part,but really,the 2020 footballs are bloody plastic coated. The wowsers and so called "health experts" win again by the look of it. They`ll be banning players from playing in boots soon,furry slippers only please.

All very well but think how much faster they come at the players now,regardless of opinion heading one of them cracked at 70/80mph can do your head non favours at all
Heading The Ball on 12:14 - Jan 17 with 1623 views1907

There is a new fascinating documentary on Netflix called "Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez".

Great watch & some really interesting points made about CTE (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy) which is a brain disease a lot of NFL footballers suffer with as a result of the sport.
Heading The Ball on 12:28 - Jan 17 with 1610 viewsrochdaleriddler

Aye and sending them up factory chimneys should never have been abolished, I’m glad smog seems to be making a comeback, fancy a woodbine at half time? Never harmed anyone . Cricketers shouldn’t wear helmets , and racing drivers are bloody molly coddled , ‘so called’ health and safety ruining it for everyone

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Heading The Ball on 13:37 - Jan 17 with 1575 viewsDaleiLama

Heading The Ball on 12:14 - Jan 17 by 1907

There is a new fascinating documentary on Netflix called "Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez".

Great watch & some really interesting points made about CTE (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy) which is a brain disease a lot of NFL footballers suffer with as a result of the sport.

Concussion with Will Smith wasn't bad in it's day either, but a bit of a watered down version. Some of what was learned by the NFL has been adopted in rugby too.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Heading The Ball on 23:34 - Jan 17 with 1510 viewsDiddyDave

And people in the north of England are more likely to get lung related illnesses,bronchitis and such,so don`t go out when it`s cold and wet. People in Australia are more likely to get skin cancer,so don`t go out when the sun is shining. Don`t ever let little Johnny head the ball when he`s playing football cos when he`s about eighty he might get dementia from it. What a bunch of softies we`re all becoming because so called "experts" are trying to push this crap onto society. Pretty soon kids won`t be allowed to ride bikes,or walk to school because 0.000002% of the population fall off said bikes or get hit by a car whilst crossing the road. Dear me.
Heading The Ball on 05:21 - Jan 18 with 1478 viewsSandyDrum

Heading The Ball on 23:34 - Jan 17 by DiddyDave

And people in the north of England are more likely to get lung related illnesses,bronchitis and such,so don`t go out when it`s cold and wet. People in Australia are more likely to get skin cancer,so don`t go out when the sun is shining. Don`t ever let little Johnny head the ball when he`s playing football cos when he`s about eighty he might get dementia from it. What a bunch of softies we`re all becoming because so called "experts" are trying to push this crap onto society. Pretty soon kids won`t be allowed to ride bikes,or walk to school because 0.000002% of the population fall off said bikes or get hit by a car whilst crossing the road. Dear me.

This guy 100% thinks muslims are trying to ban Christmas.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Login to get fewer ads

Heading The Ball on 05:43 - Jan 18 with 1472 viewskiwidale

Heading The Ball on 05:21 - Jan 18 by SandyDrum

This guy 100% thinks muslims are trying to ban Christmas.

what has your comment got to do with this thread?

This is not the time for bickering.

Heading The Ball on 06:15 - Jan 18 with 1467 viewsSandyDrum

Heading The Ball on 05:43 - Jan 18 by kiwidale

I'm saying he's paranoid because the world is changing around him and he's too scared to keep up with the change so just spends his time whinging and calling everyone snowflakes whilst not realising the irony.

Heading The Ball on 06:26 - Jan 18 with 1465 viewskiwidale

Heading The Ball on 06:15 - Jan 18 by SandyDrum

I'm saying he's paranoid because the world is changing around him and he's too scared to keep up with the change so just spends his time whinging and calling everyone snowflakes whilst not realising the irony.

How about he just has an opinion. Fancy that on an opinion based football forum.

Heading The Ball on 06:29 - Jan 18 with 1463 viewsSandyDrum

Heading The Ball on 06:26 - Jan 18 by kiwidale

How about he just has an opinion. Fancy that on an opinion based football forum.

Heading The Ball on 07:33 - Jan 18 with 1449 viewsrochdaleriddler

Heading The Ball on 06:26 - Jan 18 by kiwidale

How about he is a reactionary fossil? , just an opinion

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Heading The Ball on 08:07 - Jan 18 with 1428 viewsDiddyDave

Heading The Ball on 07:33 - Jan 18 by rochdaleriddler

How about he is a reactionary fossil? , just an opinion

How about you`re a mug who believes everything these idiots come up with.
Heading The Ball on 08:20 - Jan 18 with 1421 viewsnordenblue

Heading The Ball on 08:07 - Jan 18 by DiddyDave

Who really is the mug,when there's a choice to reduce certain health risks why would you not move with the times and accept change,or is it not quite macho enough?
Heading The Ball on 09:53 - Jan 18 with 1383 viewsMass_Debater

It must be great living in your thicko world.
Heading The Ball on 10:25 - Jan 18 with 1375 viewsrochdaleriddler

Heading The Ball on 10:41 - Jan 18 with 1362 viewskiwidale

Jeff Astle and others who headed a football repetitively day in day out for 20 years during training and games developed problems in later life, so the answer is to ban kids under 12 from heading a football, mean while professional footballers who by the way are the ones at risk can knock there heads off at will. How much brain damage did Astle sustain while playing mostly with a plastic ball in the park or school yard compared with damage during his professional career and would this ban have saved him?

Heading The Ball on 11:03 - Jan 18 with 1347 viewsRochdale_ger

Heading The Ball on 05:43 - Jan 18 by kiwidale

Nothing but it makes him appear right on.
Heading The Ball on 14:48 - Jan 18 with 1279 viewsShun

Why are you so reluctant to believe them, these ‘experts’ or ‘idiots’ or whatever you’ll call them next? Studies aren’t performed for fun, they’re stringent and thorough and rigorously reviewed to make sure they earn the reward of being believed. Trust me, I spent the best part of three years doing research and peer-reviewing other studies.

As for head injuries, I had my say earlier in the thread (although you haven’t responded to any of the points I raised). I will add though that I come into contact with head injuries in my profession as a regular occurrence and the after-effects of a seemingly superficial head collision can be devastating. Why would you want to take that chance when it comes to children?
Heading The Ball on 15:02 - Jan 18 with 1266 viewsrochdaleriddler

Heading The Ball on 14:48 - Jan 18 by Shun

Why are you so reluctant to believe them, these ‘experts’ or ‘idiots’ or whatever you’ll call them next? Studies aren’t performed for fun, they’re stringent and thorough and rigorously reviewed to make sure they earn the reward of being believed. Trust me, I spent the best part of three years doing research and peer-reviewing other studies.

As for head injuries, I had my say earlier in the thread (although you haven’t responded to any of the points I raised). I will add though that I come into contact with head injuries in my profession as a regular occurrence and the after-effects of a seemingly superficial head collision can be devastating. Why would you want to take that chance when it comes to children?

Exactly, and as someone who has suffered a bereavement if a child as a result of a bang on the head I find his attitude appalling

Heading The Ball on 17:11 - Jan 18 with 1224 viewsRochdale_ger

How does a thread about kids and heading balls become so personal.
Heading The Ball on 18:26 - Jan 18 with 1196 viewsrochdaleriddler

Heading The Ball on 17:11 - Jan 18 by Rochdale_ger

How does a thread about kids and heading balls become so personal.

Prob because I was called a mug, sorry

Heading The Ball on 18:52 - Jan 18 with 1179 viewsDiddyDave

Heading The Ball on 14:48 - Jan 18 by Shun

Ok,so how old will kids need to be when it`ll be safe for them to head a football then? Why not go the whole hog and ban kids from playing the game completely,that`ll make it 100% safe,won`t it? But no doubt by the time kids will be allowed to head a ball,a lot will have started smoking and drinking,like we all did,and will eventually die from various cancers and diseases of the liver,not to mention heart attacks and strokes for being overweight through eating American style crap that`s wholly aimed at kids.
Certainly kids will arrive at A&E with a "superficial head collision" for all sorts of reasons,but I bet there`ll be none from heading a modern day football. I`ll leave it at that.
Heading The Ball on 19:23 - Jan 18 with 1163 viewsrochdaleriddler

Heading The Ball on 18:52 - Jan 18 by DiddyDave

Ok,so how old will kids need to be when it`ll be safe for them to head a football then? Why not go the whole hog and ban kids from playing the game completely,that`ll make it 100% safe,won`t it? But no doubt by the time kids will be allowed to head a ball,a lot will have started smoking and drinking,like we all did,and will eventually die from various cancers and diseases of the liver,not to mention heart attacks and strokes for being overweight through eating American style crap that`s wholly aimed at kids.
Certainly kids will arrive at A&E with a "superficial head collision" for all sorts of reasons,but I bet there`ll be none from heading a modern day football. I`ll leave it at that.

They may be in hospital 50 years later though, are you just trying to provoke an argument or are you really as thick as mince?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024