Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good news about one of our historic pubs 14:07 - Feb 19 with 9320 viewsD_Alien

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/1/business-news/132820/whitworth%

First drank in there in 1976

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:22 - Feb 21 with 1657 viewschalky_ncfc

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:12 - Feb 21 by James1980

It is not just one pub it is all of those under the same umbrella

That's a mad policy in today's day and age,have they got a car park or just stables?

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:26 - Feb 21 with 1650 viewsJames1980

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:22 - Feb 21 by chalky_ncfc

That's a mad policy in today's day and age,have they got a car park or just stables?

It is to encourage conversation

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:28 - Feb 21 with 1641 viewschalky_ncfc

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:26 - Feb 21 by James1980

It is to encourage conversation

Doesn't owning a mobile do that?

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:32 - Feb 21 with 1637 viewsJames1980

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:28 - Feb 21 by chalky_ncfc

Not with fellow drinkers

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:50 - Feb 21 with 1616 viewschalky_ncfc

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:32 - Feb 21 by James1980

Not with fellow drinkers

What are you expected to do it you don't know the answer in a quiz and you can't Google it,try guessing or summat?

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 02:45 - Feb 22 with 1528 viewskiwidale

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:50 - Feb 21 by chalky_ncfc

What are you expected to do it you don't know the answer in a quiz and you can't Google it,try guessing or summat?

I thought you lot had learned your lesson about cheating chalky lad?
[Post edited 22 Feb 2020 5:41]

This is not the time for bickering.

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 07:00 - Feb 22 with 1489 viewsblackdogblue

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:28 - Feb 21 by chalky_ncfc

It’s not just mobiles that are banned, it’s any communication devices, laptops, I pads etc. In addition music of any nature, radios etc.. There are no TV”s or Juke boxes either.. he took all the TV”s out a couple of weeks before the Euros started a good few years ago..

Whilst being an aquired taste and everything sold in the place is Sam Smiths from all draught, spirits to the coke and crisps, most popular drink is half week & half strong lager (Alpine & Taddy) as £1.85 a pint.

You would be surprised how many pubs are in the chain, can think of at least another half dozen within Rochdale but they are far apart as well being a Yorkshire brewery. A lot are closed & boarded up waiting for mugs to take them on. He will only take on couples now & both are expected to do 40 hours each a week.

I have been in one in Scarborough and the Old Shambles in Manchester City centre but don’t think there is a full list anywhere. I saw in the news he recently closed one in Dudley I think it was, he walked in, people were swearing in there so everyone was thrown out, manager sacked & boarded up 🤨
[Post edited 22 Feb 2020 7:01]

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 07:58 - Feb 22 with 1464 viewssmaclad1

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 07:00 - Feb 22 by blackdogblue

It’s not just mobiles that are banned, it’s any communication devices, laptops, I pads etc. In addition music of any nature, radios etc.. There are no TV”s or Juke boxes either.. he took all the TV”s out a couple of weeks before the Euros started a good few years ago..

Whilst being an aquired taste and everything sold in the place is Sam Smiths from all draught, spirits to the coke and crisps, most popular drink is half week & half strong lager (Alpine & Taddy) as £1.85 a pint.

You would be surprised how many pubs are in the chain, can think of at least another half dozen within Rochdale but they are far apart as well being a Yorkshire brewery. A lot are closed & boarded up waiting for mugs to take them on. He will only take on couples now & both are expected to do 40 hours each a week.

I have been in one in Scarborough and the Old Shambles in Manchester City centre but don’t think there is a full list anywhere. I saw in the news he recently closed one in Dudley I think it was, he walked in, people were swearing in there so everyone was thrown out, manager sacked & boarded up 🤨
[Post edited 22 Feb 2020 7:01]

This must be as full a list as you'll find - http://breweryhistory.com/wiki/index.php?title=List_of_Samuel_Smith_Old_Brewery_

Would be helpful if they could list what's open and what's not - but I suppose that's not the purpose of the site. In SMAC-land, the Cheshire Midland in Hale (not Sale as shown) has been closed since well before Christmas due to a lack of adherence with the swearing ban.

While the presence of Sam's in and around Rochdale is explained by their purchase of the Rochdale and Manor Brewery, their presence in and around the Altrincham area is largely through the purchase of an Altrincham based wine merchants in the 1960's (ish) who also owned a handful of pubs in the area.
Login to get fewer ads

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 09:37 - Feb 22 with 1425 viewsDaleiLama

Sams was always just Maltade historically. The brewer wouldn't know a hop if he fell over one. They may have introduced new beers or seasonal beers latterly but I haven't set foot in one of their houses for at least a couple of decades. Shutting any of their establishments wouldn't be a big loss imho.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 09:46 - Feb 22 with 1410 viewssmaclad1

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 09:37 - Feb 22 by DaleiLama

Sams was always just Maltade historically. The brewer wouldn't know a hop if he fell over one. They may have introduced new beers or seasonal beers latterly but I haven't set foot in one of their houses for at least a couple of decades. Shutting any of their establishments wouldn't be a big loss imho.

While Old Brewery Bitter is nothing special, and the pub offering varied immensely - notwithstanding the bewildering array of do's and don'ts...well, don'ts tbh, they do have a varied and impressive array of bottled offerings.
Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:15 - Feb 22 with 1392 viewsEllDale

I haven't been in a Sam Smiths pub for years.
The beer tastes like Lanry.
Personal opinion I know.
Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:26 - Feb 22 with 1375 viewsD_Alien

Heresy it may be, but I'm quite partial to a pint of OB, find it refreshing on a summer's day outside the Shambles, or more locally, the Turf Tavern. Not been past for a while, is that still open?

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:44 - Feb 22 with 1356 views442Dale

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:26 - Feb 22 by D_Alien

Heresy it may be, but I'm quite partial to a pint of OB, find it refreshing on a summer's day outside the Shambles, or more locally, the Turf Tavern. Not been past for a while, is that still open?

Yep. The world will turn to dust and there will still be people sat outside the Turf.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:48 - Feb 22 with 1350 viewsDaleiLama

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:26 - Feb 22 by D_Alien

The Old Wellington for me every day of the week, though I have seen people giving their dogs OBB from Sinclairs on hot days in Shambles square.

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:51 - Feb 22 with 1337 viewsDaleiLama

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:44 - Feb 22 by 442Dale

Yep. The world will turn to dust and there will still be people sat outside the Turf.

Dust is preferable to OBB!

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:57 - Feb 22 with 1317 viewsblackdogblue

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 07:58 - Feb 22 by smaclad1

This must be as full a list as you'll find - http://breweryhistory.com/wiki/index.php?title=List_of_Samuel_Smith_Old_Brewery_

Would be helpful if they could list what's open and what's not - but I suppose that's not the purpose of the site. In SMAC-land, the Cheshire Midland in Hale (not Sale as shown) has been closed since well before Christmas due to a lack of adherence with the swearing ban.

While the presence of Sam's in and around Rochdale is explained by their purchase of the Rochdale and Manor Brewery, their presence in and around the Altrincham area is largely through the purchase of an Altrincham based wine merchants in the 1960's (ish) who also owned a handful of pubs in the area.

That’s some comprehensive list...

In addition..

Yew tree closed
Kingsway closed
Duke of Wellington has been a B&b for years now

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 11:21 - Feb 22 with 1300 viewsmingthemerciless

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:15 - Feb 22 by EllDale

I haven't been in a Sam Smiths pub for years.
The beer tastes like Lanry.
Personal opinion I know.

Chalky will be back soon asking what " Lanry " is.
Good news about one of our historic pubs on 11:58 - Feb 22 with 1274 viewsD_Alien

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 10:48 - Feb 22 by DaleiLama

The Old Wellington for me every day of the week, though I have seen people giving their dogs OBB from Sinclairs on hot days in Shambles square.

Woof!!

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:22 - Feb 24 with 1146 viewsDaleiLama

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 11:58 - Feb 22 by D_Alien

Woof!!

You'd be howling at the moon here. Het Anker. Had a hopsinjoor, a trippel and now savouring an Imperial Blond - possibly the finest beer I've tasted. Brewed with several types of malt, three different spices and Belgian hops. 10%. Wow

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:35 - Feb 24 with 1128 viewsScunnydale

Sam Smiths pubs vary immensely. Near me, the one on the river in York is gash, the Rugby Tav in Hull is alright, and Nellies in Beverley is good. The Old Welly in Manchester isn't bad.

There was something published the other week about the owner. Among one of his weirdest decisions was shutting down a pub on New Year's Eve because he walked in and someone was either on the phone or swearing. It's not a good way to run a business.
Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:47 - Feb 24 with 1106 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:12 - Feb 21 by James1980

It is not just one pub it is all of those under the same umbrella

Was n't that Rihanna's first hit?
Can't do links, but " Cheers! (Drink to that)" by RiRi would be an ideal for this thread.***

***with backing from Avril Lavigne!

Someone please do a linky?
Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:51 - Feb 24 with 1096 viewsJames1980

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:47 - Feb 24 by Yorkshire_Dale

Can't do links, but " Cheers! (Drink to that)" by RiRi would be an ideal for this thread.***

Think her first hit was pon de replay

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 21:01 - Feb 24 with 1078 viewsD_Alien

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:22 - Feb 24 by DaleiLama

You'd be howling at the moon here. Het Anker. Had a hopsinjoor, a trippel and now savouring an Imperial Blond - possibly the finest beer I've tasted. Brewed with several types of malt, three different spices and Belgian hops. 10%. Wow

Had to make do with a pint of Wobbly Bob (6%) then a pint of Saltaire Odyssey (5.5%) this afternoon. Nowt like a wet Monday in Rochdale, except perhaps a wet Monday in Mechelen? We're spoiled these days!

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 21:02 - Feb 24 with 1075 viewssince58

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 20:47 - Feb 24 by Yorkshire_Dale

no Yorky but the writings on the wall.
Good news about one of our historic pubs on 21:21 - Feb 24 with 1052 viewsDaleiLama

Good news about one of our historic pubs on 21:01 - Feb 24 by D_Alien

Had to make do with a pint of Wobbly Bob (6%) then a pint of Saltaire Odyssey (5.5%) this afternoon. Nowt like a wet Monday in Rochdale, except perhaps a wet Monday in Mechelen? We're spoiled these days!

Not had the Odyssey but everything about Saltaire is remarkable. We are indeed spoiled.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024