Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April 11:11 - Mar 13 with 8786 viewsBainesy15

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51867989
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 20:36 - Mar 20 with 3038 views442Dale

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51973608

<< Rochdale chief executive David Bottomley believes next season should be prioritised over going on to complete the 2019-20 campaign.

“We would have preferred a line in the sand drawn on this season with promotion, relegation and championships et cetera based on points per game and to come out with a start date for next season, because we’re delaying the inevitable here,” he told BBC Radio Manchester.

Rochdale celebrate a goal
Rochdale are 19th in League One, just four points above the relegation places
Bottomley said the knock-on effect of an ‘indefinite’ timeline on the season would impact on clubs as businesses and the futures of players themselves.

“We were supposed to be starting new pitch work on the 4 May, which would have taken 12 weeks to complete ahead of the new season,” he continued.

“So if we have a season that potentially starts (again) in May and then starts again in August, we’ll have to get a new pitch in.

“There are also players that are out of contract in June of this year and also, for most clubs at our level, the season ticket income normally comes in in May and June.

“It keeps a club like Rochdale going through the lean summer months when you have no income.

“Who is now going to buy a season ticket on 1 May when they don’t know when next season is going to start?

“I’m just putting forward the issues we face in football by these continued delays over the playing of sport.”

‘EFL should be applauded’

Bottomley previously said that the coronavirus outbreak could be “disastrous” for the finances of some EFL clubs and has greeted this week's news of the league’s £50m relief package as “a great gesture”.

The fund includes the early release of award payments, and an interest-free loan facility.

“What the EFL are doing, and I applaud them for doing this, is paying monies each club would have had up to the end of June they’re just paying it early so for clubs that have got immediate cash flow issues - for example trying to pay salaries in March and April - it would be very beneficial to them,” he said.>>

And what if next season can’t start in August?

Finish this one whenever they can, then start a new one. If that means before Christmas for 19/20 and a 2021 season from Feb-Oct/Nov with a break for the Euros and the same the following year for the World Cup in Dec 2022, so be it. The whole situation is such an unknown that to decide to cancel a season could lead to more issues. And would “we” want this line drawn if we were in the bottom 3?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 16:46 - Mar 22 with 2927 viewsseasidedale

It will be interesting to see when the suspension lifts when ever that is if a large number of L1 & L2 club go into administration, would they be deducted 12 points, if so it will be one interesting league. Hope it doesn’t happen though
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 20:10 - Mar 22 with 2859 viewskiwidale

If this season runs past oct/nov of this year would that necessitate a truncated season next season? Would two regional leagues of 12 teams be an option, 22 games with playoffs for promotion and relegation.

edit to add you would expect some kind of break after this season ends to facilitate transfers with out of contract players moving etc
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 20:13]

This is not the time for bickering.

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 08:39 - Mar 26 with 2714 viewsJames1980

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52039174

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 15:18 - Mar 26 with 2633 viewsYorkshire_Dale

The boss of Harrogate Town was on our local TV yesterday imploring the authorities to call a halt to season and promote them as a runners up to Ian Evett's lot.

Our old boy Jack Muldoon back in the League then,who'd a thought it?
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 15:57 - Mar 26 with 2601 viewsSandyman

All football in England below the three divisions that make up the National League will end immediately and all results will be expunged.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351

This all points to Covid -19 being created by Nuneaton Borough to prevent Tamworth lifting the title
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 19:48 - Mar 26 with 2506 viewspioneer

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 15:57 - Mar 26 by Sandyman

All football in England below the three divisions that make up the National League will end immediately and all results will be expunged.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351

This all points to Covid -19 being created by Nuneaton Borough to prevent Tamworth lifting the title

More likely to go down in history as the stevie gerard virus.....the only thing that stood between Liverpool and the premier league title.
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 20:50 - Mar 29 with 2320 viewsSandyman

Should her analysis be right, and we're looking at no football for 6 months, it will impact this season and next..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52084517

Thinking out loud, no view either way at the moment, but might it be prudent to sack next season and finish this one off in 6-8 months time once the virus has safely gone for good? Just a thought.
Login to get fewer ads

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 21:42 - Mar 29 with 2275 viewsD_Alien

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 20:50 - Mar 29 by Sandyman

Should her analysis be right, and we're looking at no football for 6 months, it will impact this season and next..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52084517

Thinking out loud, no view either way at the moment, but might it be prudent to sack next season and finish this one off in 6-8 months time once the virus has safely gone for good? Just a thought.

I agree entirely. Simply finish this season, and forget 20/21, then take it from there. I'm not sure football would recover from playing most of a season and then just writing it off

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 22:04 - Mar 29 with 2263 viewsdownunder

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 21:42 - Mar 29 by D_Alien

I agree entirely. Simply finish this season, and forget 20/21, then take it from there. I'm not sure football would recover from playing most of a season and then just writing it off

I also agree. It could be another 6 months before this gets beat, and that seems a simple way out of the problem. Who would have thought 3 months ago that a full season of ALL sport could be lost? Strange times indeed.
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 03:41 - Mar 30 with 2198 viewspioneer

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 22:04 - Mar 29 by downunder

I also agree. It could be another 6 months before this gets beat, and that seems a simple way out of the problem. Who would have thought 3 months ago that a full season of ALL sport could be lost? Strange times indeed.

I doubt the bean counters would like losing an entire season and will be looking for a full 20-21.

They have already got season ticket revenue for 19-20,so loss is not as great as it might have been. Of course some clubs might offer some refunds but I suspect most likely to use it as marketing for next season, eg, an x% reduction on 20-21 season tickets for those who had them in 19-20, and they will probably put the face price for next season up by the same x% (or more).

All speculation of course....
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 06:46 - Mar 30 with 2179 viewssmaclad1

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 03:41 - Mar 30 by pioneer

I doubt the bean counters would like losing an entire season and will be looking for a full 20-21.

They have already got season ticket revenue for 19-20,so loss is not as great as it might have been. Of course some clubs might offer some refunds but I suspect most likely to use it as marketing for next season, eg, an x% reduction on 20-21 season tickets for those who had them in 19-20, and they will probably put the face price for next season up by the same x% (or more).

All speculation of course....

From a Dale perspective, given the financial warnings of several weeks ago we would probably have been looking at a hike in our season ticket prices for next season - and possibly a significant one at that. Given the loss of most income from March onwards - apart from any benefit the Government scheme to support business might bring - means the financial situation will be even worse.

It's a difficult one for fans - we either cough up the readies for next season In support of the club, or start asking for refunds on this season or a discount on next. Personally I'm prepared to write-off this seasons tickets - I bought two but one has been rarely used due to ill-health but this didn't mean I was back to the club in Sept/Oct wanting a refund because it wasn't going to get used. Next season - it's a new day and a new start - and I'm not looking for a discount or anything, happy to pay the going rate and I'm sure/hope most fans will be - the curtailing of this season was an exceptional circumstance out of the club's control and not a failure of the club to deliver the product. Many people's incomes are going to be hit and that is a real concern where businesses and jobs have bene lost or cash borrowed to pay for the essentials during lockdown , but I'm sure the club is going to be damned if it doesn't offer refunds or a discount, but the club could be damned into history if the finances aren't straightened out going into next season. It ain't an easy choice.

The opportunity for the club is that when lockdown is lifted, people will be desperate to get out there, find entertainment, be outdoors, 'do' something. The club needs its marketing and promotion ready to run from day 1 to take benefit of that situation.
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 07:31 - Mar 30 with 2174 viewspioneer

The only event in any way similar to what they will face is probably the Major League Baseball strike in the mid 1990s.

Season was cancelled one month prior to play offs and the following season didnt start until 6-7 weeks into the season.

In the case of baseball, the fans incomes were not affected, but their attitudes towards highly paid players and the millionaires who tended to be owners was what needed to be dealt with.

Here it will be the difficult financial situation of the fans, that will need to be taken into account without any 'blame' being attached to clubs/players.

The baseball league and its clubs had to work hard to get fans back. Obviously a labour dispute and a pandemic are very different, but there might be some things to learn about marketing after a shutdown.
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 08:16 - Mar 30 with 2143 viewsTalkingSutty

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 06:46 - Mar 30 by smaclad1

From a Dale perspective, given the financial warnings of several weeks ago we would probably have been looking at a hike in our season ticket prices for next season - and possibly a significant one at that. Given the loss of most income from March onwards - apart from any benefit the Government scheme to support business might bring - means the financial situation will be even worse.

It's a difficult one for fans - we either cough up the readies for next season In support of the club, or start asking for refunds on this season or a discount on next. Personally I'm prepared to write-off this seasons tickets - I bought two but one has been rarely used due to ill-health but this didn't mean I was back to the club in Sept/Oct wanting a refund because it wasn't going to get used. Next season - it's a new day and a new start - and I'm not looking for a discount or anything, happy to pay the going rate and I'm sure/hope most fans will be - the curtailing of this season was an exceptional circumstance out of the club's control and not a failure of the club to deliver the product. Many people's incomes are going to be hit and that is a real concern where businesses and jobs have bene lost or cash borrowed to pay for the essentials during lockdown , but I'm sure the club is going to be damned if it doesn't offer refunds or a discount, but the club could be damned into history if the finances aren't straightened out going into next season. It ain't an easy choice.

The opportunity for the club is that when lockdown is lifted, people will be desperate to get out there, find entertainment, be outdoors, 'do' something. The club needs its marketing and promotion ready to run from day 1 to take benefit of that situation.

Our CEO quoted a figure of £250k to the National media, that would be the financial hit of not completing our outstanding home fxtures, since them the EFL have come up with a £50 million package to be shared between the 72 EFL Clubs, our share of that will cover the lost finance. It probably won’t be lost finance anyway if the remaining games are played at some stage. Most of the finance for football Clubs is already in place, gate receipts aren’t the major income anymore. I actually think that waiting to play these final fixtures is going to damage the clubs, there will be months and months of uncertainty and it will severely impact on next season.
Does anybody seriously think that thousands of fans are going to be allowed inside Stadiums anytime soon? Even when restrictions are finally lifted the players will have to more or less undertake another pre-seasons training to get up to full fitness. If a decision was made to null and void the season then Clubs like Rochdale could theoretically start selling season tickets for next season and bring in hundreds of thousands of pounds of extra money. I don’t believe many fans will want recompense for this seasons lost games but let’s remember it’s not just about the football club, many fans will be suffering financial hardship also
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 8:18]
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 09:54 - Mar 30 with 2075 viewsD_Alien

The problem with just writing off this season is there's no certainty about when (or if) 20/21 will start. The point made above about allowing thousands back into stadia - does anyone seriously think that will be happening by August? With some strict discipline over the coming months, one would hope that some social restrictions might've been lifted by then, but as the deputy CMO said last night, it could be a staged process, with enforcement again at some point

So, given these circumstances, the marketing of season tickets is an impossible job, based on guesswork and a thousand contingencies. That's why i say 19/20 should be completed whenever it can be, and the point about 20/21 isn't that it won't happen, but that it'll almost certainly look different to any previous season in football league history both in terms of length and structure. I'll repeat - creative thinking required, not same old same old with a few knobs on. No-one knows what it'll look like, since planning right now is a fools game. Scenarios are the best we can go with. One example might be: finish 19/20 during the mid- to late-autumn, 20/21 to become just 2021 over the calendar year with a summer break for the Euros, and then the World Cup during the subsequent break

In the following years (and providing we're clear of viruses to do so) gradually re-align the season back to its current format

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 12:00 - Mar 30 with 1987 viewsTalkingSutty

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 09:54 - Mar 30 by D_Alien

The problem with just writing off this season is there's no certainty about when (or if) 20/21 will start. The point made above about allowing thousands back into stadia - does anyone seriously think that will be happening by August? With some strict discipline over the coming months, one would hope that some social restrictions might've been lifted by then, but as the deputy CMO said last night, it could be a staged process, with enforcement again at some point

So, given these circumstances, the marketing of season tickets is an impossible job, based on guesswork and a thousand contingencies. That's why i say 19/20 should be completed whenever it can be, and the point about 20/21 isn't that it won't happen, but that it'll almost certainly look different to any previous season in football league history both in terms of length and structure. I'll repeat - creative thinking required, not same old same old with a few knobs on. No-one knows what it'll look like, since planning right now is a fools game. Scenarios are the best we can go with. One example might be: finish 19/20 during the mid- to late-autumn, 20/21 to become just 2021 over the calendar year with a summer break for the Euros, and then the World Cup during the subsequent break

In the following years (and providing we're clear of viruses to do so) gradually re-align the season back to its current format

As you rightly point out, it's all guess work. If we are attending games by September/October i think that will be a good result. Starting a new season then and re-jigging or dropping one of the cup competitions to fit in the league fixtures could work
Maybe they will play the remaining fixtures behind closed doors...who knows!
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 12:23 - Mar 30 with 1969 viewsEllDale

Bolton have just confirmed that a "large number" of staff have just been put on furlough.
Wonder if that includes Hillcroft?
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 12:54 - Mar 30 with 1930 viewsDaleiLama

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 09:54 - Mar 30 by D_Alien

It is impossible to predict anything with even an iota of certainty at present, that's for sure.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of how gov.uk did what they did here, and when and how effective that will prove to be, there seems to be lots of evidence pointing towards testing being an effective tool to help fight CV19. We seem to be well behind the curve on this issue at 10k/day max, versus Germany at 500k/week. Anecdotal evidence seems to point to testing and isolation being the way to defeat this virus, but everyone is learning on the job here. I hope this proves to be the key and that we catch up quickly in this respect.

I certainly think that especially in lower league, but to a large extent throughout the pyramid, a lot of the more elderly fanbase won't want to set foot out of the door let alone pack into a stadium for a good while yet and many will want plenty of reassurance.
When will the whole infrastructure surrounding a game be back to normal also. Police, staff, players etc etc?

Also, what happens when "the tap is turned back on?" Lot's of eyes on China right now.

In the words of the song, there are more questions than answers at present and the old adage "God laughs at people's plans" never seemed truer.

The silver lining to all this is that, as per 442's and many other wishes, a sense of altruism and supportiveness does seem to be characterising this pandemic. I read something on line the other day which chimed with me. In times like this, jerks will act like even bigger jerks, but the compassionate will be even more compassionate. Hear, hear.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 17:25 - Mar 30 with 1794 viewsforeverhopefulDale

If they can’t complete the season it should, with games in hand being applied on the basis of points per games and goals scored and conceded , already played. I do think though they should complete the season, once it gets going again, playing 3 games a week, then with a much shortened close season. It’s a terrible shame for those clubs that are being prevented from being promoted, the current season should be completed. The close season is only so long to benefit the big clubs so they can play in big money generating friendlies , could be much shorter. If the curtailing of the non leagues seasons does still apply, I really hope that the Phoenix club of Bury don’t get into the league pyramid, they just don't deserve it.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 23:53 - Mar 30 with 1655 viewsDaleiLama

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 11:30 - Mar 31 with 1546 viewspioneer

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 17:25 - Mar 30 by foreverhopefulDale

If they can’t complete the season it should, with games in hand being applied on the basis of points per games and goals scored and conceded , already played. I do think though they should complete the season, once it gets going again, playing 3 games a week, then with a much shortened close season. It’s a terrible shame for those clubs that are being prevented from being promoted, the current season should be completed. The close season is only so long to benefit the big clubs so they can play in big money generating friendlies , could be much shorter. If the curtailing of the non leagues seasons does still apply, I really hope that the Phoenix club of Bury don’t get into the league pyramid, they just don't deserve it.

While that is one solution, there would be several variations that would produce different results. For example home games usually have a higher win % than away games so perhaps it should be average points per game at home applied to remaining home games and average points away, applied to away games. In the case of Dale we have a superb points per game average against our 'relegation rivals' so maybe it should be points per game against teams in various positions in the league etc.

Obviously some teams were on a roll and others in a slump so how about points per game over last 10 games.....

I think the bottom line is there is no solution that is fair to everyone. I wouldn't want to be charged with making the decision, but if I had to I would simply cancel the season.

Sorry Liverpool!
Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 13:26 - Mar 31 with 1481 viewsD_Alien

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 11:30 - Mar 31 by pioneer

While that is one solution, there would be several variations that would produce different results. For example home games usually have a higher win % than away games so perhaps it should be average points per game at home applied to remaining home games and average points away, applied to away games. In the case of Dale we have a superb points per game average against our 'relegation rivals' so maybe it should be points per game against teams in various positions in the league etc.

Obviously some teams were on a roll and others in a slump so how about points per game over last 10 games.....

I think the bottom line is there is no solution that is fair to everyone. I wouldn't want to be charged with making the decision, but if I had to I would simply cancel the season.

Sorry Liverpool!

Sorry to interject into your thoughtful post, but there is one solution that's fair to everyone

Finish this season, before starting the next. And apologies for repeating that, but the efl should keep it in their heads as a mantra

Confirmed - No League Football until 3rd April on 17:34 - Mar 31 with 1389 viewsJames1980

https://www.facebook.com/8585725981/posts/10158739348385982/

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024