Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwich LC Final... 19:11 - Apr 23 with 3586 viewsdale1968

Just been having a look through You Tube and stumbled across this short clip of our game at Carrow Rd in the 62 Final.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Norwich LC Final... on 20:41 - Apr 23 with 2785 viewsJumeirahDale

Lovely backheel off the line there.

Are Dale the ones in white shirts and black shorts, or the ones in white shirts and black shorts?
Norwich LC Final... on 21:22 - Apr 23 with 2742 viewspioneer

Norwich LC Final... on 20:41 - Apr 23 by JumeirahDale

Are Dale the ones in white shirts and black shorts, or the ones in white shirts and black shorts?

In the words of the great David Coleman, if you are watching in black and white Norwich are the team in yellow
Norwich LC Final... on 03:16 - Apr 24 with 2612 viewskiwidale

Norwich LC Final... on 20:41 - Apr 23 by JumeirahDale

Dale are defending in white shirts back shorts, Norwich are in yellow shirts green shorts. Stan Milburn No 2 or could have been Doug Winton made the back heel of the line and Ray Aspen deftly played the ball from the back by gerrin'it forad.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 3:19]

This is not the time for bickering.

Norwich LC Final... on 22:14 - Apr 24 with 2427 viewsDiddyDave

Norwich LC Final... on 03:16 - Apr 24 by kiwidale

Dale are defending in white shirts back shorts, Norwich are in yellow shirts green shorts. Stan Milburn No 2 or could have been Doug Winton made the back heel of the line and Ray Aspen deftly played the ball from the back by gerrin'it forad.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 3:19]

Did you go to the first leg at Spotland Kiwi? I know somebody will correct me,but I think there were 14,000 at the game. My mum made a small banner out of black out material and we cut out letters from an old white blanket with UP THE DALE stitched on. Didn`t have much to cheer about,Norwich were streets ahead of Dale,but it was still a great occasion nonetheless.
Norwich LC Final... on 22:30 - Apr 24 with 2418 viewsmingthemerciless

Norwich LC Final... on 22:14 - Apr 24 by DiddyDave

Did you go to the first leg at Spotland Kiwi? I know somebody will correct me,but I think there were 14,000 at the game. My mum made a small banner out of black out material and we cut out letters from an old white blanket with UP THE DALE stitched on. Didn`t have much to cheer about,Norwich were streets ahead of Dale,but it was still a great occasion nonetheless.

Official attendance for the home game - 11,123. Away game - 19,709.
Norwich LC Final... on 23:57 - Apr 24 with 2376 viewskiwidale

Norwich LC Final... on 22:14 - Apr 24 by DiddyDave

I went to all the home games Diddy and Blackburn home and away, We beat Southampton 1-0 and Blackburn 3-1 at home, 4-3 on aggregate over two legged semi final with a very good team playing good football. After the semi final heroics I had high hopes of beating Norwich who were not as good as Southhampton or Blackburn in the final but we froze on the night losing 0-3,the second leg was a dead rubber we salvaged some pride losing 0-1. I don't remember anything of the Final but we will never know what would have happened if the legs had been reversed. What was the crowd at home v Blackburn?

Norwich LC Final... on 05:18 - Apr 25 with 2347 viewspioneer

Norwich LC Final... on 23:57 - Apr 24 by kiwidale

I went to all the home games Diddy and Blackburn home and away, We beat Southampton 1-0 and Blackburn 3-1 at home, 4-3 on aggregate over two legged semi final with a very good team playing good football. After the semi final heroics I had high hopes of beating Norwich who were not as good as Southhampton or Blackburn in the final but we froze on the night losing 0-3,the second leg was a dead rubber we salvaged some pride losing 0-1. I don't remember anything of the Final but we will never know what would have happened if the legs had been reversed. What was the crowd at home v Blackburn?

are the only people on here who attended the game now on the other side of the world?.

It was before my time sadly.

Yes Norwich were 17th in Div 2, 6 points above relegation and goal difference only above a team no longer in the football league, followed by Leeds.
Norwich LC Final... on 09:24 - Apr 25 with 2301 viewsmingthemerciless

I think I'm right in saying quite a few of the top First Division teams didn't both entering in the early years of the League Cup.
Login to get fewer ads

Norwich LC Final... on 10:49 - Apr 25 with 2260 viewskiwidale

Norwich LC Final... on 09:24 - Apr 25 by mingthemerciless

I think I'm right in saying quite a few of the top First Division teams didn't both entering in the early years of the League Cup.

shssh.

Norwich LC Final... on 11:48 - Apr 25 with 2235 viewspioneer

Norwich LC Final... on 09:24 - Apr 25 by mingthemerciless

Yet Norwich were the only non first division team to win it until they moved the final to one game at Wembley in 1967, and two of the first three wembley finals were won by teams from Division 3.

13 first division teams entered in 1961-2 and both losing semi finalists were from Division 1
Norwich LC Final... on 21:04 - Apr 25 with 2152 viewskiwidale

Norwich LC Final... on 11:48 - Apr 25 by pioneer

Yet Norwich were the only non first division team to win it until they moved the final to one game at Wembley in 1967, and two of the first three wembley finals were won by teams from Division 3.

13 first division teams entered in 1961-2 and both losing semi finalists were from Division 1

Blackburn finished runner up in Division one that year and would have been qualified for champions league we would have gone in UEAF cup or summat. The link is worth a read if anybody is interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961%E2%80%9362_Football_League_Cup

Norwich LC Final... on 22:31 - Apr 25 with 2116 views49thseason

I was there , Kiwi is correct, we froze. It was completely different inxthe home leg of the semi, we attacked like dervishes, Joe Richarson was unplayable , pace aggresion the lot but he was out of the side for the home leg of the final. Had he played... who knows.
The away semi leg was something of an oddity , We all clambered onto Ellen Smiths coaches on a Tuesday night ( Me, my dad and a couple of his mates) and set off to Blackburn. Just past Haslingden we met coaches coming back from Blackburn, match off, fog.
I think we all set off again 2 nights later, the pitch was a mudbath, ankle deep through the middle and Blackburn got an early penalty, followed by a second. So 3-3 on agg. Well into, the second half, Stan,Hepton skated through the midfield slutch to score from about the edge of the area under keeper Fred Else
4-3 Rochdale and a famous victory. If only it had been the Final.
The only other thing about that Cup run that sticks in my mind is the Charlton game.There were queues to get in and when we eventually got in they had already kicked off, the pitch was awash, whats new! We got a penalty at the Sandy Lane end and Mr Reliable , Stan Milburn stepped up to take it. The ball was literally floating on the penalty spot so he built a "tee" to stand the ball on, splashed back a few paces, ran up and punted the ball high and wide! Fortunately, Colin Whittaker scored a little later from the left wing and we went home wet-through but happy with a 1-0 win.
Norwich LC Final... on 22:43 - Apr 25 with 2105 viewsmingthemerciless

Norwich LC Final... on 21:04 - Apr 25 by kiwidale

Blackburn finished runner up in Division one that year and would have been qualified for champions league we would have gone in UEAF cup or summat. The link is worth a read if anybody is interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961%E2%80%9362_Football_League_Cup

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but if we are talking about the 1961-62 season Blackburn actually finished 16th in the old First Division that season. Burnley were runners up, to Ipswich Town.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 22:54]
Norwich LC Final... on 22:46 - Apr 25 with 2102 viewsmingthemerciless

Norwich LC Final... on 22:31 - Apr 25 by 49thseason

I was there , Kiwi is correct, we froze. It was completely different inxthe home leg of the semi, we attacked like dervishes, Joe Richarson was unplayable , pace aggresion the lot but he was out of the side for the home leg of the final. Had he played... who knows.
The away semi leg was something of an oddity , We all clambered onto Ellen Smiths coaches on a Tuesday night ( Me, my dad and a couple of his mates) and set off to Blackburn. Just past Haslingden we met coaches coming back from Blackburn, match off, fog.
I think we all set off again 2 nights later, the pitch was a mudbath, ankle deep through the middle and Blackburn got an early penalty, followed by a second. So 3-3 on agg. Well into, the second half, Stan,Hepton skated through the midfield slutch to score from about the edge of the area under keeper Fred Else
The only other thing about that Cup run that sticks in my mind is the Charlton game.There were queues to get in and when we eventually got in they had already kicked off, the pitch was awash, whats new! We got a penalty at the Sandy Lane end and Mr Reliable , Stan Milburn stepped up to take it. The ball was literally floating on the penalty spot so he built a "tee" to stand the ball on, splashed back a few paces, ran up and punted the ball high and wide! Fortunately, Colin Whittaker scored a little later from the left wing and we went home wet-through but happy with a 1-0 win.

As you say Stan was one of the best penalty takers there has been at the 'Dale. He didn't miss many. I wasn't at that game unfortunately.
Norwich LC Final... on 23:39 - Apr 25 with 2079 viewsncfc_chalky

What was it like to travel to away games back in the 50/60's?
Not everybody had cars in those days,did you rely on supporters coaches or trains,was there a supporters coach for every game or just the big ones and what would be the average away following back then?

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Norwich LC Final... on 00:40 - Apr 26 with 2052 viewskiwidale

Norwich LC Final... on 22:43 - Apr 25 by mingthemerciless

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but if we are talking about the 1961-62 season Blackburn actually finished 16th in the old First Division that season. Burnley were runners up, to Ipswich Town.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 22:54]

Ming you're starting to sound like TVOS. I would have put the house on Blackburn finishing runner up but 16th are you sure? I've never been wrong in the past.

p/s just checked it was the Lancashire combination division 2. I knew I was right.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 1:34]

Norwich LC Final... on 00:41 - Apr 26 with 2052 viewspioneer

Norwich LC Final... on 23:39 - Apr 25 by ncfc_chalky

What was it like to travel to away games back in the 50/60's?
Not everybody had cars in those days,did you rely on supporters coaches or trains,was there a supporters coach for every game or just the big ones and what would be the average away following back then?

took coach loads to away games apart from Notts County where we always managed to squeeze into a taxi.
Norwich LC Final... on 00:50 - Apr 26 with 2049 viewskiwidale

Norwich LC Final... on 00:41 - Apr 26 by pioneer

took coach loads to away games apart from Notts County where we always managed to squeeze into a taxi.

A taxi I dont thnk so, carriage or Charabanc for us older ones me and mi dad in opening scene.

Norwich LC Final... on 08:55 - Apr 26 with 2010 viewsmingthemerciless

Norwich LC Final... on 00:40 - Apr 26 by kiwidale

Ming you're starting to sound like TVOS. I would have put the house on Blackburn finishing runner up but 16th are you sure? I've never been wrong in the past.

p/s just checked it was the Lancashire combination division 2. I knew I was right.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 1:34]

Blackburn or Burnley, it's an easy mistake to make.

It was still a brilliant result though. I went to the first leg and Blackburn had Bryan Douglas, Ronnie Clayton, Keith Newton, Fred Pickering in the ranks, all current or future England internationals playing.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 9:22]
Norwich LC Final... on 09:01 - Apr 26 with 1996 viewsncfc_chalky

Norwich LC Final... on 00:41 - Apr 26 by pioneer

Aye,it's always hard to rally troops when you know that you are going to be thrashed away

Norwich LC Final... on 09:19 - Apr 26 with 1968 viewsmingthemerciless

Norwich LC Final... on 22:31 - Apr 25 by 49thseason

Fans today forget what conditions could be like back in the day. Especially if it had been a wet spring. If you watch old games on YouTube some of the pitches are really shocking with mud coming up over the players boots.
When I played for TBA we played in any conditions because it was our own pitch and we didn't have council groundsmen telling us we couldn't play.
I remember one game were there were large pools of standing water on the pitch. A strong wind got up and when the ball landed in one of the pools of water the wind would blow it along like a sailing ship !
Norwich LC Final... on 09:24 - Apr 26 with 1961 viewsncfc_chalky

Norwich LC Final... on 00:50 - Apr 26 by kiwidale

A taxi I dont thnk so, carriage or Charabanc for us older ones me and mi dad in opening scene.

I'm sure that I've been on that actual charabanc somewhere,I know that it was a seaside resort but I can't remember where,I can remember a couple of them doing tours around Scarborough or Whitby but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't there

What happened at the ground when you arrived then,I'm presuming that it wasn't segregated and you mixed in with the locals which could be a problem at derbies?

Norwich LC Final... on 09:32 - Apr 26 with 1936 viewsD_Alien

Norwich LC Final... on 09:24 - Apr 26 by ncfc_chalky

I'm sure that I've been on that actual charabanc somewhere,I know that it was a seaside resort but I can't remember where,I can remember a couple of them doing tours around Scarborough or Whitby but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't there

What happened at the ground when you arrived then,I'm presuming that it wasn't segregated and you mixed in with the locals which could be a problem at derbies?

No segregation at all, but it was rarely an issue up till about 1970

As late as our promotion season in 68/69, i travelled to places such as Bradford City and Halifax, with both games having crowds way above the average for the old Div 4, the latter in particular since it was a promotion-decider. As far as i remember, no trouble at all, and even then Dale had a few "characters" but it was largely good-humoured

btw, we drew 1-1 at your place in our next to last fixture, meaning we only needed a draw for promotion in our final game. Some thrashing that was

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Norwich LC Final... on 09:49 - Apr 26 with 1924 viewskiwidale

Norwich LC Final... on 09:32 - Apr 26 by D_Alien

No segregation at all, but it was rarely an issue up till about 1970

As late as our promotion season in 68/69, i travelled to places such as Bradford City and Halifax, with both games having crowds way above the average for the old Div 4, the latter in particular since it was a promotion-decider. As far as i remember, no trouble at all, and even then Dale had a few "characters" but it was largely good-humoured

btw, we drew 1-1 at your place in our next to last fixture, meaning we only needed a draw for promotion in our final game. Some thrashing that was

You got a far better memory than me D_A I remember the away game at Halifax was a promotion decider with the winner going up as runners up but have no recollection of the penultimate game of the season that you mention. I seem to recall we needed a win v Southend last game of season to gaurentee to go up in 3rd, a draw was good enough for 4th place depending on the Bradford City result and that Southend could have pipped us for 4th if they beat us and Bradford won. I've probably got that all wrong I still believe Blackburn finished runnrs up in 1961.

Norwich LC Final... on 09:50 - Apr 26 with 1918 views442Dale

Norwich LC Final... on 09:24 - Apr 26 by ncfc_chalky

There’s a steam bus in Whitby that looked a bit similar.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024