Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Beezley trying TOO hard? 11:56 - Nov 4 with 4209 viewsBillyRudd

Like most football fans, the willingness of a player to put in a massive shift goes a long way to offsetting any lack of technical ability. When this is coupled with an obvious desire to succeed and repay the faith that people have shown in him, it is difficult to be critical.
However I can,t help but feel that his willingness to put in the miles is detracting from the primary aim of any centre forward in getting the ball in the net. I watch him constantly closing down (whilst rarely getting a tackle in) first the left back, then a centre back then a right back ad infinitum. Admirable and a legitimate tactic when it is done with other players adding their support in a high press, but this is rarely the case. I can,t help but feel it is achieving little except to sap the vigour from his legs. Most succesful strikers are just that because they possess pace over the first couple of metres, either to get to the ball before a defender or to lose that defender running into space. When you are running a marathon at the same time, something has to give.
By all means form the link when we get the ball forward by holding the ball up, which he does well albeit without the ability to turn defenders but stop chasing the lost causes and concentrate on your primary job of finding space and conserving the explosiveness in your legs. Ignoring goals of individual brilliance, most successful attacking teams gain an understanding of where individuals are likely to be such that a degree of passing becomes almost instinct. At the moment he is all over the place both physically and mentally. Some forwards are bullys that will muscle their way to chances but he strikes me as a player that needs to anticipate passes into space and feed off the half chances.
The glaring miss last night was a case in point, whilst drawing a veil over the attempt he at least anticipated the fumble and was in the right place.
BBM must be happy with his approach but when Humphreys is back I cannot see anything other than a straight swap as I don,t see who else he would drop without it being a greater loss. Newby is a play maker with good feet that can get a ball across although as others have highlighted he often over elaborates and without Rathbone we lose a massive amount of tempo.
I hope the lad can open his account soon and preferably with a brace for at the moment his confidence must be rock bottom.
Up the Dale
Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:06 - Nov 4 with 4169 viewsD_Alien

I've just made the same point in a different thread! Hadn't read this, honestly!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:27 - Nov 4 with 4126 viewsBillyRudd

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:06 - Nov 4 by D_Alien

I've just made the same point in a different thread! Hadn't read this, honestly!

Have,nt read yours D. I will have a look.

ps "Great minds think alike, on the other hand fools seldom differ"
Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:28 - Nov 4 with 4114 viewsD_Alien

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:27 - Nov 4 by BillyRudd

Have,nt read yours D. I will have a look.

ps "Great minds think alike, on the other hand fools seldom differ"

You posted first, so i'll let you choose

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:34 - Nov 4 with 4095 viewsBillyRudd

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:28 - Nov 4 by D_Alien

You posted first, so i'll let you choose

A scholar AND a gentleman.

Up the Dale
Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:35 - Nov 4 with 4094 viewsTomRAFC

Beesley was endearing from the word go because of his excellent work rate. Time has passed now and I've hardly seen him win a physical battle. He often drifts out of position by trying to get involved in areas further back or out wide, and has missed the 2 clear cut chances I can recall him having. He's young and he's developing but he's perhaps not seeming as golden as he did at first. As I said in the match thread, Chris Dagnall had a great work rate but so did George Donnelly.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 17:39 - Nov 4 with 3801 viewsblackdogblue

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:35 - Nov 4 by TomRAFC

Beesley was endearing from the word go because of his excellent work rate. Time has passed now and I've hardly seen him win a physical battle. He often drifts out of position by trying to get involved in areas further back or out wide, and has missed the 2 clear cut chances I can recall him having. He's young and he's developing but he's perhaps not seeming as golden as he did at first. As I said in the match thread, Chris Dagnall had a great work rate but so did George Donnelly.

George Donnelly 🤣🤣

Tom lad, I just literally laughed out loud at that one mate 👍

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 17:55 - Nov 4 with 3774 viewsfunkkk

I don't think he's working too hard, he's just not working smartly enough. My real fear is he's not good enough but time will tell.
Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 18:57 - Nov 4 with 3681 views49thseason

Well, we went out of our way to sign him so they must have thought there was something there. I wonder if he is one of those Jack off all trades , master of none types that just needs to find a way of working for the team at the top of the pitch, . the lad is a real trier , no argument, he seems short of some of the tricks of the trade and has to learn how to make better decisions but I think there are goals in him, at the moment he is too keen to run about and not sneaky enough , he needs to become someone people hate to play against , maybe one of those forwards who is all sharp corners and little digs or one that has an unexpected yard of pace or a little trick that gives an extra yard of space. I wouldn't write him off yet,9 games at L1 without a proper rest and without Humphrys around was probably not in the manual when he signed. Still what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and even Calvin scored occasionally , if he scores in the next game he will be more prolific than Calvin (0 in 29 last season) so all good at the moment but a few sessions with Tony Ellis will help.
Login to get fewer ads

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 19:22 - Nov 4 with 3641 viewstony_roch975

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:35 - Nov 4 by TomRAFC

No doubt he's not so far demonstrated he's a clinical finisher but we're hardly creating loads for whoever plays as striker - our effective attacks are mostly coming from players running from deep. Is his drifting out wide or further back his decision or BBM's? Is there a danger if Humphrys is a straight swop that he has the same role and might be less effective too? Either Humphrys will need service from Newby/Rathbone playing higher or by also playing Beesley and either way the midfield outnumbering we attempt could suffer?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 19:40 - Nov 4 with 3605 views1907

Of course he’s trying too hard he’s desperate to score.

Since he’s come into the side we’ve been on our best run in almost five years was it?

Funny how there weren’t any of these posts following all the great results we’ve had in recent weeks.

The lad has dropped an absolute clanger last night & wont he know it. How’s about we show the lad some support instead of slating him?

Just a few thoughts like...
Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 19:46 - Nov 4 with 3588 viewsD_Alien

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 19:40 - Nov 4 by 1907

Since he’s come into the side we’ve been on our best run in almost five years was it?

Funny how there weren’t any of these posts following all the great results we’ve had in recent weeks.

The lad has dropped an absolute clanger last night & wont he know it. How’s about we show the lad some support instead of slating him?

There's plenty of voices in support, if you're able to read

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 09:35 - Nov 5 with 3365 viewsAtThePeake

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 18:57 - Nov 4 by 49thseason

Well, we went out of our way to sign him so they must have thought there was something there. I wonder if he is one of those Jack off all trades , master of none types that just needs to find a way of working for the team at the top of the pitch, . the lad is a real trier , no argument, he seems short of some of the tricks of the trade and has to learn how to make better decisions but I think there are goals in him, at the moment he is too keen to run about and not sneaky enough , he needs to become someone people hate to play against , maybe one of those forwards who is all sharp corners and little digs or one that has an unexpected yard of pace or a little trick that gives an extra yard of space. I wouldn't write him off yet,9 games at L1 without a proper rest and without Humphrys around was probably not in the manual when he signed. Still what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and even Calvin scored occasionally , if he scores in the next game he will be more prolific than Calvin (0 in 29 last season) so all good at the moment but a few sessions with Tony Ellis will help.

Worth noting that only 5 of Calvin's 29 appearances came in starts last season though whereas Beesley has started 9 games and only been subbed off in two. If my calculations are correct, Calvin played 815 minutes last season - Beesley is already on 858 for this season.

(I only have the stats to hand for minutes for the league so this may not be 100% accurate as I've had to do the maths for the cup appearances and my maths is never completely reliable!)

Tangled up in blue.

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 10:43 - Nov 5 with 3291 viewsfunkkk

There have been plenty of posts about Beesley within match threads. Plenty praising his work rate but questioning his effectiveness and goal scoring potential. It's a message board, people are going to voice their opinions, I don't think anyone's crossed a line. I'm sure we all want him to succeed.
Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 11:38 - Nov 5 with 3235 viewsHopwoodblue

If he takes it with his left foot he scores for me, but he used the wrong foot and had to angle it passed the keeper putting it wide in the process.
It’s a bad miss hopefully Ellis will talk to him and help him. I’m sure Tony missed a couple like that in his career even though he was a top class striker.
We need him to stay confident and move on.
Let’s give him our support and not write him off after a few games.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 11:45]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:21 - Nov 5 with 3163 viewsboromat

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 19:22 - Nov 4 by tony_roch975

No doubt he's not so far demonstrated he's a clinical finisher but we're hardly creating loads for whoever plays as striker - our effective attacks are mostly coming from players running from deep. Is his drifting out wide or further back his decision or BBM's? Is there a danger if Humphrys is a straight swop that he has the same role and might be less effective too? Either Humphrys will need service from Newby/Rathbone playing higher or by also playing Beesley and either way the midfield outnumbering we attempt could suffer?

You could argue that his work rate and due to him being able to keep the defenders occupied it's allowing the midfielders to get opportunities from arriving in the box from deep.

I think Beesley has been great so far and is doing a job for the team. Yes he's missed a couple of sitters but there's time yet and I don't think we signed him as a big goalscorer, that's where Humphrys comes in!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:27 - Nov 5 with 3156 viewsaleanddale

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:21 - Nov 5 by boromat

You could argue that his work rate and due to him being able to keep the defenders occupied it's allowing the midfielders to get opportunities from arriving in the box from deep.

I think Beesley has been great so far and is doing a job for the team. Yes he's missed a couple of sitters but there's time yet and I don't think we signed him as a big goalscorer, that's where Humphrys comes in!

There are a few points in my mind...

The trying too hard will eventually pay off when he learns to relax more in front of goal.

100% will benefit when Humphrys is back in the team.

Beesley does not know this yet but Dale fans are very patient and are 100% behind him succeeding. It is very early days and we like much of what we have seen so far..

There are exceptions to the last point of course and some will be writing him off after one glaring miss that looks horrendous but the Vast Majority are supportive whilst he finds his feet and gets up to speed in League 1 ( a massive leap up in standard ).
Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 13:12 - Nov 5 with 3096 viewsboromat

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 12:27 - Nov 5 by aleanddale

There are a few points in my mind...

The trying too hard will eventually pay off when he learns to relax more in front of goal.

100% will benefit when Humphrys is back in the team.

Beesley does not know this yet but Dale fans are very patient and are 100% behind him succeeding. It is very early days and we like much of what we have seen so far..

There are exceptions to the last point of course and some will be writing him off after one glaring miss that looks horrendous but the Vast Majority are supportive whilst he finds his feet and gets up to speed in League 1 ( a massive leap up in standard ).

There's also the point that he states his best position is on the left which we haven't seen yet.

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 10:10 - Nov 7 with 2672 views1907

BBM makes some really interesting points about Beesley in the new podcast. Worth a listen.
Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 10:27 - Nov 7 with 2654 viewsfitzochris

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 10:10 - Nov 7 by 1907

BBM makes some really interesting points about Beesley in the new podcast. Worth a listen.

BBM says he didn’t intend to throw Beesley in so quickly as he was behind in terms of his pre-season. He has offered to bench him at times for a rest but Beesley has always said no. If this is Beesley’s energy without a full pre-season, I can’t wait to see him when he’s up to speed, as it were.

I reckon he will be rested when Humphrys is fit for a few games and then the options are there.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 14:22 - Nov 7 with 2546 viewsboromat

Beesley hatrick today 🤞

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 10:08 - Nov 8 with 2380 viewssweetcorn

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 09:35 - Nov 5 by AtThePeake

Worth noting that only 5 of Calvin's 29 appearances came in starts last season though whereas Beesley has started 9 games and only been subbed off in two. If my calculations are correct, Calvin played 815 minutes last season - Beesley is already on 858 for this season.

(I only have the stats to hand for minutes for the league so this may not be 100% accurate as I've had to do the maths for the cup appearances and my maths is never completely reliable!)

I've only seen the lad play once (last week vs Bristol) so don't really have an opinion on him. If we're comparing him to Calvin then that really is a worrying sign.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 20:08 - Nov 11 with 2099 viewsfitzochris

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 20:43 - Nov 11 with 2042 viewsblackdogblue

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 20:08 - Nov 11 by fitzochris

Is that McLoughlan? Oh no it’s someone else injured... 🤨

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 21:38 - Nov 11 with 1976 viewsboromat

Is Beezley trying TOO hard? on 20:08 - Nov 11 by fitzochris

Saw that earlier, great news!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024