Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New iPhone iOS big brother 17:11 - Dec 14 with 1354 viewsblackdogblue

Just swiped left on my iPhone to the new widgets page and it is showing a map pinned to where my boy has his football training on a Monday night. It is not in my calendar or anything. I never use google maps so why is it showing me this information???

Scary what data is collated...

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

New iPhone iOS big brother on 17:35 - Dec 14 with 1302 viewsDalenet

I have it on good authority that Humphrey Smith wants to check if you have it on when supping in his pubs
[Post edited 14 Dec 2020 17:36]
New iPhone iOS big brother on 18:23 - Dec 14 with 1231 viewsShun

I've never had an issue with my phone showing me adverts for things I've been speaking about. It shows it picks up on words I've spoken but I actually find it quite convenient.

What I do find scary though is how influenced we can be by what we're shown on our phones. For anyone who watched the excellent The Undoing recently, in preparation for the trial the defence lawyer found all the jurors on social media and had only articles in support of the defendant advertised to them while they were scrolling through the timeline, subconsciously influencing them. Although I have no idea if this is real practice or fiction, it does show how people in a mob mentality style can start believing that everyone else agrees with their viewpoints, and the only ones who don't are the tiny minority of insane people.

I know that in the most recent UK election, for example, I'd wager a good 90% of my social media presence was covered in Labour support (not even from people, but articles and adverts too), to the point where I started to believe they couldn't possibly lose with this much support. And I have no doubt that a Conservative voter was seeing the exact same in support of their party.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2020 18:25]
New iPhone iOS big brother on 18:34 - Dec 14 with 1208 views442Dale

What’s with all the adverts for socks and various colours of B&Q paint?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

New iPhone iOS big brother on 18:51 - Dec 14 with 1182 viewsAtThePeake

Have you taken any photos at his football training BDB? I suspect that's what that could be, but I've not had an iPhone for a while so I'm not sure.

Tangled up in blue.

New iPhone iOS big brother on 19:08 - Dec 14 with 1160 viewsD_Alien

New iPhone iOS big brother on 18:23 - Dec 14 by Shun

I've never had an issue with my phone showing me adverts for things I've been speaking about. It shows it picks up on words I've spoken but I actually find it quite convenient.

What I do find scary though is how influenced we can be by what we're shown on our phones. For anyone who watched the excellent The Undoing recently, in preparation for the trial the defence lawyer found all the jurors on social media and had only articles in support of the defendant advertised to them while they were scrolling through the timeline, subconsciously influencing them. Although I have no idea if this is real practice or fiction, it does show how people in a mob mentality style can start believing that everyone else agrees with their viewpoints, and the only ones who don't are the tiny minority of insane people.

I know that in the most recent UK election, for example, I'd wager a good 90% of my social media presence was covered in Labour support (not even from people, but articles and adverts too), to the point where I started to believe they couldn't possibly lose with this much support. And I have no doubt that a Conservative voter was seeing the exact same in support of their party.

Some fascinating points, or perhaps questions, you've raised there Shun

We're currently seeing in the US the potential breakdown of the consensus among advanced democracies that election results are fair and the process scrutinized in a non-partisan way so that everyone can be confident that even if their vote was on the losing side the result can be accepted

If this consensus can't be maintained we're in very serious trouble. You refer to people's opinions being re-inforced around whatever predisposition they might have. This can have the effect you describe of not being in a position - should the result go against them - to comprehend how it might've happened and to infer perhaps some kind of mental or intellectual deficit among those who think and voted otherwise

Not being able to understand opposite points of view is different from simply disagreeing with them

In the US there's been much more publicity around potential interference in the election process by foreign powers such as Russia and China. It's not surprising these and other countries would seek to undermine democracy in order to raise their own political and economic profiles, not least through pointing their populations in the direction of the chaos in the States when election results aren't respected

All of this (and there's much more that could be mentioned) presents an incredible challenge to democracies. How we choose to deal with it without further curtailing the freedoms we've become familiar with is perhaps as great a challenge as climate change

Those freedoms have only been with us for a relatively short period of time; most people have lived and died under authoritarian regimes, and continue to do so. I think one of the most important things that we can do is to continually push back against attempts to curtail freedom of speech by "no platforming" or making those with views that diverge from the broad "liberal establishment" social pariahs

Apologies for banging on about all of this, but it goes beyond any attempts to dismiss it or ignore it. And yes, this is primarily a football forum, but its a platform financed directly by adverts which follow the process you've described so in its own way exemplifies both the freedom to debate but also the price to be paid

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

New iPhone iOS big brother on 19:27 - Dec 14 with 1125 viewsShun

New iPhone iOS big brother on 19:08 - Dec 14 by D_Alien

Some fascinating points, or perhaps questions, you've raised there Shun

We're currently seeing in the US the potential breakdown of the consensus among advanced democracies that election results are fair and the process scrutinized in a non-partisan way so that everyone can be confident that even if their vote was on the losing side the result can be accepted

If this consensus can't be maintained we're in very serious trouble. You refer to people's opinions being re-inforced around whatever predisposition they might have. This can have the effect you describe of not being in a position - should the result go against them - to comprehend how it might've happened and to infer perhaps some kind of mental or intellectual deficit among those who think and voted otherwise

Not being able to understand opposite points of view is different from simply disagreeing with them

In the US there's been much more publicity around potential interference in the election process by foreign powers such as Russia and China. It's not surprising these and other countries would seek to undermine democracy in order to raise their own political and economic profiles, not least through pointing their populations in the direction of the chaos in the States when election results aren't respected

All of this (and there's much more that could be mentioned) presents an incredible challenge to democracies. How we choose to deal with it without further curtailing the freedoms we've become familiar with is perhaps as great a challenge as climate change

Those freedoms have only been with us for a relatively short period of time; most people have lived and died under authoritarian regimes, and continue to do so. I think one of the most important things that we can do is to continually push back against attempts to curtail freedom of speech by "no platforming" or making those with views that diverge from the broad "liberal establishment" social pariahs

Apologies for banging on about all of this, but it goes beyond any attempts to dismiss it or ignore it. And yes, this is primarily a football forum, but its a platform financed directly by adverts which follow the process you've described so in its own way exemplifies both the freedom to debate but also the price to be paid

It's very interesting! It would also go some way to explaining why so many Trump supporters believe the election was rigged as he couldn't possibly have lost - although the man himself acting like a spoilt baby probably plays a bigger role!
New iPhone iOS big brother on 20:11 - Dec 14 with 1062 viewsblackdogblue

New iPhone iOS big brother on 18:51 - Dec 14 by AtThePeake

Have you taken any photos at his football training BDB? I suspect that's what that could be, but I've not had an iPhone for a while so I'm not sure.

Yes mate, but why lead me back there on a Monday? Take pictures of my dog in the house & it doesn’t show me the way back from the black dog when it was open 😢

New iPhone iOS big brother on 20:13 - Dec 14 with 1057 viewsblackdogblue

It’s now showing me a knife & fork symbol as about this time some nights I order a takeaway...

Seriously spooked now 👻

Login to get fewer ads

New iPhone iOS big brother on 20:19 - Dec 14 with 1049 viewsncfc_chalky

When I used to take the bus to work I would always get an update on the bus service and then when I started to go by car it would show a map of the route that I took and any holdups and how long it would take to make the journey,it even knew where I had parked my car and showed a map when I clocked off,it even wished me a happy birthday but the spiteful get never tipped off any of my contacts beforehand

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

New iPhone iOS big brother on 20:33 - Dec 14 with 1031 viewsblackdogblue

New iPhone iOS big brother on 20:19 - Dec 14 by ncfc_chalky

When I used to take the bus to work I would always get an update on the bus service and then when I started to go by car it would show a map of the route that I took and any holdups and how long it would take to make the journey,it even knew where I had parked my car and showed a map when I clocked off,it even wished me a happy birthday but the spiteful get never tipped off any of my contacts beforehand

Maybe it knows as a NCFC fan you have no mates

New iPhone iOS big brother on 20:38 - Dec 14 with 1011 viewsncfc_chalky

New iPhone iOS big brother on 20:33 - Dec 14 by blackdogblue

Maybe it knows as a NCFC fan you have no mates

It's the reason that I spend so much time on here bdb

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

New iPhone iOS big brother on 08:55 - Dec 15 with 801 viewsblackdogblue

New iPhone iOS big brother on 20:38 - Dec 14 by ncfc_chalky

It's the reason that I spend so much time on here bdb

You have one in me 👍

New iPhone iOS big brother on 10:31 - Dec 15 with 741 viewsR17ALE

New iPhone iOS big brother on 18:23 - Dec 14 by Shun

Very interesting Shun.

I've never had any device try to influence me (although I don't do social media very much).

I conclude you are trying to be influenced by malevolent forces because they think you are someone they can manipulate. A weak individual, which I know you aren't.

They don't bother with me because I know my own mind and were something to pop up, they'd be popped off immediately.

My advice would be to ignore everything on your device, stand up and view the bigger picture. Then have confidence in your own ability to arrive at your own conclusion. On which you will be judged.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024