Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Statue for Cloughie 17:24 - Jan 29 with 33037 viewsDaleiLama

Here's a link to the story

and here's a link to the just giving page for donations

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/davidclough

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Statue for Cloughie on 16:13 - Feb 17 with 3613 viewsTVOS1907

Statue for Cloughie on 16:12 - Feb 17 by judd

I think it was in response to my request for airtime on MOTD and Football Focus else I'd never eat a Walkers Crisp again.

Oh!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Statue for Cloughie on 16:20 - Feb 17 with 3605 viewsDalenet

Statue for Cloughie on 15:36 - Feb 17 by TVOS1907

Odd reply.

Surely they could still do something to promote the story, without focusing on the crowdfunding aspect of it.

It didn't seem to be a problem for BBC North-West Tonight.

Did you ask about the impartiality of BBC radio Bolton??
Statue for Cloughie on 16:35 - Feb 17 with 3577 viewsTVOS1907

Statue for Cloughie on 16:20 - Feb 17 by Dalenet

Did you ask about the impartiality of BBC radio Bolton??

I didn't email them.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Statue for Cloughie on 09:02 - Feb 18 with 3373 viewsDaleiLama

Statue for Cloughie on 15:36 - Feb 17 by TVOS1907

Odd reply.

Surely they could still do something to promote the story, without focusing on the crowdfunding aspect of it.

It didn't seem to be a problem for BBC North-West Tonight.

Nor did it prevent them from running a 5 minute+ spot on BBC breakfast to save Park Lane stables in SW London today (other stables are available). The stable does great work with disabled kids, so it is without doubt a worthy cause, but the just giving page was referred to several times and even a totaliser update read out.

Impartiality maintained then.

Statue for Cloughie on 19:32 - Feb 18 with 3183 viewsfinberty

Statue for Cloughie on 09:02 - Feb 18 by DaleiLama

Nor did it prevent them from running a 5 minute+ spot on BBC breakfast to save Park Lane stables in SW London today (other stables are available). The stable does great work with disabled kids, so it is without doubt a worthy cause, but the just giving page was referred to several times and even a totaliser update read out.

Impartiality maintained then.

I don't recall such reticence with Captain Tom (RIP) either. Different cause, but same principle.
Statue for Cloughie on 19:44 - Feb 18 with 3147 viewsjudd

I've been asked to complete a customer satisfaction survey.

Do any of you lot want to complete it?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Statue for Cloughie on 19:52 - Feb 18 with 3133 viewspioneer

Statue for Cloughie on 19:32 - Feb 18 by finberty

I don't recall such reticence with Captain Tom (RIP) either. Different cause, but same principle.

Ill get shot down for this no doubt.....there is a difference...the two other causes involved raising funds that would be used to help people (NHS, horses for disabled kids). Our cause is to memorialise a much loved supporter.

I dont thinkCaptain Tom’s fund raising would have received the same publicity if he was raising funds for a statue to memorialise NHS nurses for example.

Now that might not be how the beeb have explained their stance....but there is a difference.
Statue for Cloughie on 19:54 - Feb 18 with 3127 viewsD_Alien

Statue for Cloughie on 19:52 - Feb 18 by pioneer

Ill get shot down for this no doubt.....there is a difference...the two other causes involved raising funds that would be used to help people (NHS, horses for disabled kids). Our cause is to memorialise a much loved supporter.

I dont thinkCaptain Tom’s fund raising would have received the same publicity if he was raising funds for a statue to memorialise NHS nurses for example.

Now that might not be how the beeb have explained their stance....but there is a difference.

You won't get shot by me, you're absolutely right, and in saying that there's no disrespect to Cloughie or anyone else for that matter

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Statue for Cloughie on 21:23 - Feb 18 with 3041 viewsDaleiLama

Statue for Cloughie on 19:52 - Feb 18 by pioneer

No bullets from me either. Clearly the charitable nature of the stables and the NHS charities are far more "worthy" than a fan tribute for another fan in terms of benefits to the many - as much as Cloughie was a legend I don't think many would contest that.

What ground my gears was the "impartiality" aspect from the beeb. They can blatantly favour the Trotters most Saturdays for radio coverage but can't be seen to be supporting another club seeking a modest amount to pay respect to a fan, not to benefit a club. I'm also sure that there are other stables and indeed thousands of other "good causes" seeking funding just like Park Lane stables, but the beeb gave the stables a massive leg up ...... to the tune of being at 500k+ this morning and now, 12 hours later, at £1.15m+ with a stretch target of £1.5m and now out of the woods, which I am delighted about. The BBC on the other hand can stick their impartiality where the sun don't shine.

Statue for Cloughie on 19:59 - Feb 22 with 2575 viewsboromat

Statue for Cloughie on 15:30 - Feb 17 by judd

Just in from the BBC:

Hi Judd

Thanks for getting in touch about the crowdfunding campaign to retire the seat of David Clough.

While I think this is a wonderfully spirited campaign, unfortunately it's not something we can promote on Football Focus or MOTD.

As the BBC must remain impartial at all times, we can't endorse or promote clubs or associated crowdfunding campaigns. I hope you can understand where we're coming from.

That being said, personally speaking I wish you all the best with your campaign. As we all know (and as lockdown has demonstrated), football just isn't the same without the fans, so it's nice to see such appreciation for a lifelong fan who I'm sure is sorely missed.

Kind regards,

Philip Laverty

BBC Enquiries Team

P.S. It’s not possible to reply to this email, but if you need to get in touch with us again about this enquiry (or we’ve asked you to), please use this unique webform link to do so (you’ll need to provide the same email address you used when you contacted us originally). Or alternatively, if you’re in the UK, you can call us on 03704 101 060*). Many thanks!

(*calls charged at the same rate as calls made to standard UK landline phone numbers starting 01 or 02)

I have updated him, but nice words despite his restrictions.

Kind Regards
A Bolton Fan

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Statue for Cloughie on 19:18 - Mar 19 with 1933 viewsJames1980

Featuring on efl podcast

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Statue for Cloughie on 20:12 - Mar 19 with 1841 viewsblackdogblue

Statue for Cloughie on 19:18 - Mar 19 by James1980

Featuring on efl podcast

Up the target, said this before 👍

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Statue for Cloughie on 18:20 - Apr 8 with 1534 viewsblackdogblue

Statue for Cloughie on 20:12 - Mar 19 by blackdogblue

Up the target, said this before 👍

Any news on the progress?

Statue for Cloughie on 18:25 - Apr 8 with 1522 viewsBoss_Hog

Thanks to the donations already received, a sculptor has been commissioned and has started work on the statue.

It is expected that the statue will be in place on Cloughie's seat in The Main Stand ahead of the first home game of next season.

Thanks to all those who contributed.
Statue for Cloughie on 19:02 - Apr 8 with 1454 viewsblackdogblue

Statue for Cloughie on 18:25 - Apr 8 by Boss_Hog

Thanks to the donations already received, a sculptor has been commissioned and has started work on the statue.

It is expected that the statue will be in place on Cloughie's seat in The Main Stand ahead of the first home game of next season.

Thanks to all those who contributed.

Cheers for the update 👍👍

I know slightly off topic, what about his scoreboard ?

Statue for Cloughie on 07:23 - Apr 9 with 1320 viewsBoss_Hog

The scoreboard has been purchased and is being erected after the final home game of the season. Due to its location, it required a crane on the pitch and this may do damage to the surface. It was therefore decided to put it up after the season has finished and before pitch renovations commence.
Statue for Cloughie on 09:58 - Apr 9 with 1209 views442Dale

Could the crane not do a job at left back for the last home game?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024