Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jim McNulty signs 10:18 - Jun 26 with 6479 viewsYadHoDale

Jim McNulty signs a 1 year deal as player-coach.

Personally think this is a good move. Provides experienced cover at the back and, as others have said previously, has already been working with the younger players in the squad.
Jim McNulty signs on 11:09 - Jun 26 with 5374 viewsleedsdale

Sadly Lund is leaving: not a great surprise but still a blow.

To get two out the three “main” players that we wanted is still pretty good overall, now let’s get some new blood in!

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/june/contractroundup/
[Post edited 26 Jun 2021 11:10]
Jim McNulty signs on 11:12 - Jun 26 with 5361 viewsoddjob007

Aslong as he’s limited to the Papa John’s cup and the last resort in an injury crisis - good signing!

Hopefully another voice on the training pitch helps!
Jim McNulty signs on 11:46 - Jun 26 with 5261 viewsEllDale

Presumably the new BBM. Pleased to hear the news.
Will be good with the young players in bounce games etc.
Jim McNulty signs on 12:43 - Jun 26 with 5164 viewsD_Alien

Jim McNulty signs on 11:12 - Jun 26 by oddjob007

Aslong as he’s limited to the Papa John’s cup and the last resort in an injury crisis - good signing!

Hopefully another voice on the training pitch helps!

I'd definitely be giving him some game time every now and again

We saw last season how bringing him in after a long period without first-team action can have serious consequences, and the older he gets the more awkward his re-introductions, despite his experience

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Jim McNulty signs on 14:37 - Jun 26 with 4968 viewsblackdogblue

One thing I will say about him is he always acknowledges supporters before and after games. I personally like the guy on the odd time I’ve spoken to him. The best player we have ever had? No but his commitment I can applaud & everyone makes mistakes

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Jim McNulty signs on 15:56 - Jun 26 with 4843 views49thseason

He had better be a bloody good coach because he terrified me whenever he stepped onto the pitch. At 36 and with just 5 league appearances last season in a team that couldn't defend to save their lives, any thought of him turning out in the first team should be consigned to to the bin marked "stupid ideas" . I don't buy my season ticket for sentimental reasons, I buy it in the expectation that there will be a team of players each able to contrubute to the campaign who will entertain me and maybe ultimately get promoted. Bringing back a player who contributed the square root of FA last season to be a coach is like asking a kid who can't count to help with you quadratic equations homework. You just know, deep down, it's never going to work.
Jim McNulty signs on 16:33 - Jun 26 with 4771 viewsD_Alien

Jim McNulty signs on 15:56 - Jun 26 by 49thseason

He had better be a bloody good coach because he terrified me whenever he stepped onto the pitch. At 36 and with just 5 league appearances last season in a team that couldn't defend to save their lives, any thought of him turning out in the first team should be consigned to to the bin marked "stupid ideas" . I don't buy my season ticket for sentimental reasons, I buy it in the expectation that there will be a team of players each able to contrubute to the campaign who will entertain me and maybe ultimately get promoted. Bringing back a player who contributed the square root of FA last season to be a coach is like asking a kid who can't count to help with you quadratic equations homework. You just know, deep down, it's never going to work.

Whilst sharing your concerns over his form, there's no relationship whatsoever between his contribution as a player last season and his abilities as a coach

Jim's played at Championship level, and has had a pretty good career as a professional footballer. He's also a rep for the PFA, which suggests some abilities in dealing with people - a coaching essential. As a backup for injured first-choice CB's, he'll do in L2

Jim McNulty signs on 16:38 - Jun 26 with 4738 viewsTVOS1907

Jim McNulty signs on 16:33 - Jun 26 by D_Alien

Whilst sharing your concerns over his form, there's no relationship whatsoever between his contribution as a player last season and his abilities as a coach

Jim's played at Championship level, and has had a pretty good career as a professional footballer. He's also a rep for the PFA, which suggests some abilities in dealing with people - a coaching essential. As a backup for injured first-choice CB's, he'll do in L2

Great players do not necessarily make great players or coaches and the converse can also be true. Let's see how he does.

Good to see quadratic equations make the messageboard though. Can anyone remember the formula for solving without Googling it?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Jim McNulty signs on 16:41 - Jun 26 with 4729 viewsD_Alien

Jim McNulty signs on 16:38 - Jun 26 by TVOS1907

Great players do not necessarily make great players or coaches and the converse can also be true. Let's see how he does.

Good to see quadratic equations make the messageboard though. Can anyone remember the formula for solving without Googling it?

Number of games last season x number of seasons as a pro / 49 = 0?

[Post edited 26 Jun 2021 16:41]

Jim McNulty signs on 16:44 - Jun 26 with 4701 viewsTVOS1907

Jim McNulty signs on 16:41 - Jun 26 by D_Alien

Number of games last season x number of seasons as a pro / 49 = 0?

[Post edited 26 Jun 2021 16:41]

Summat like that

Jim McNulty signs on 18:27 - Jun 26 with 4558 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Agree there 49er.......Lovely guy Big JIm, but how can he teach kids to defend when he can't do it himself?

Slightly bizzare signing jobby.....have we come into some cash?
Jim McNulty signs on 18:32 - Jun 26 with 4546 viewsleedsdale

Jim McNulty signs on 18:27 - Jun 26 by Yorkshire_Dale

Agree there 49er.......Lovely guy Big JIm, but how can he teach kids to defend when he can't do it himself?

What are you on about?
Jim McNulty signs on 18:45 - Jun 26 with 4500 viewsalbert_park

Jim McNulty signs on 16:38 - Jun 26 by TVOS1907

I think I can still do them but can't recall the formula as it was 1960 when I passed my 0-level.
Jim McNulty signs on 19:21 - Jun 26 with 4390 viewsTVOS1907

Jim McNulty signs on 18:45 - Jun 26 by albert_park

I think I can still do them but can't recall the formula as it was 1960 when I passed my 0-level.

Surely you must remember the formula then - or maybe you're using one of the other methods?

Jim McNulty signs on 19:32 - Jun 26 with 4374 viewsBeast6666

Jim McNulty signs on 14:37 - Jun 26 by blackdogblue

One thing I will say about him is he always acknowledges supporters before and after games. I personally like the guy on the odd time I’ve spoken to him. The best player we have ever had? No but his commitment I can applaud & everyone makes mistakes

I personally like players who can change games for the better and make a positive impact - I couldn’t give a monkeys if they acknowledge the crowd or not, totality irrelevant imho
Jim McNulty signs on 20:26 - Jun 26 with 4303 viewsJames1980

I'm sure he won't be taking a coaching session called 'how to give the ball away in dangerous areas'

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Jim McNulty signs on 21:12 - Jun 26 with 4264 viewsspringfieldparka

A very honest and articulate interview on youtube ; a significant improvement on what we've had from other coaching and managerial staff over the last few years IMO .
Jim McNulty signs on 23:06 - Jun 26 with 4122 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Jim McNulty signs on 18:32 - Jun 26 by leedsdale

What are you on about?

"we need to be selective with the wage bill"........NOT my quote, just another poster on here.
Jim McNulty signs on 23:11 - Jun 26 with 4116 viewsR17ALE

Jim McNulty signs on 21:12 - Jun 26 by springfieldparka

A very honest and articulate interview on youtube ; a significant improvement on what we've had from other coaching and managerial staff over the last few years IMO .

Comes across very well. Ignore he's a scouser! Hear his words in Lancs.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Jim McNulty signs on 23:30 - Jun 26 with 4078 viewsAtThePeake

Jim McNulty signs on 18:27 - Jun 26 by Yorkshire_Dale

Probably the same way that Sacchi, Mourinho and Benitez could coach teams to European Cup wins despite never playing in it?

Tangled up in blue.

Jim McNulty signs on 07:49 - Jun 27 with 3905 views1907

Jim McNulty signs on 23:30 - Jun 26 by AtThePeake

Probably the same way that Sacchi, Mourinho and Benitez could coach teams to European Cup wins despite never playing in it?

Can add Klopp to that list too. Wasn’t he a third division German player?
Jim McNulty signs on 12:53 - Jun 27 with 3654 viewsjonahwhereru

Agree there is no room for sentiment in football clubs. Given that I believe this is an excellent signing. His influence on the young players we have produced and sold on its well documented. He has respect, stature and knowledge of the game and is eloquent. All the attributes required for the job he is undertaking.
Wenger and Atkinson are examples of two low level players who could coach at at a much higher level than they played.
Good luck Jim.
Jim McNulty signs on 22:22 - Jun 27 with 3358 viewsoddjob007

What a bizarre thread this has turned into.

Not sure where the link between being a good player and a good coach has come from - several examples have been mentioned already, but conversely, the likes of Teddy Sherringham, Sol Campbell, Harry Kewell, Thierry Henry, Patrick Viera - all top players in their day who have hugely struggled with management!

There is no link between how good of a player you are to how good of a coach you are!
Jim McNulty signs on 10:32 - Jun 28 with 3151 viewsBucketBstard

Sorry I think this is a big mistake. What can he coach on defensive duties. He is a poor player and I cannot see him imparting any wisdom to other defenders when he cant defend himself.
Jim McNulty signs on 14:39 - Jun 28 with 2988 viewswatford_dale

Jim McNulty signs on 22:22 - Jun 27 by oddjob007

What a bizarre thread this has turned into.

Not sure where the link between being a good player and a good coach has come from - several examples have been mentioned already, but conversely, the likes of Teddy Sherringham, Sol Campbell, Harry Kewell, Thierry Henry, Patrick Viera - all top players in their day who have hugely struggled with management!

There is no link between how good of a player you are to how good of a coach you are!

Campbell didn't do too bad with Macc and managed to keep them up. Southend he didn't manage to do it but Houdini wasn't getting them out of that one.

Big Jim will be useful in div 2 and be able to fill in should circumstances dictate - injuries, covid wave 4, alien invasion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024