Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We've got our club back 19:15 - Oct 6 with 37161 viewsjudd

7 minutes and 1 vote against.

Thank you, Mr Chairman and fellow board members.

Poll: What is it to be then?

We've got our club back on 20:50 - Oct 9 with 3234 viewsmikehunt

Bumley came across so well when he was being regularly interviewed about the financial state of lower league football clubs.
I mentioned this on a previous thread about him but one thing made alarm bells ring: when he said that fans won’t like me for saying this but the money from the Man U and Newcastle games would barely last us 2 months.

Still, I wonder if the old adage applies here: “Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely”. Did he find that it became easier and easier to go stick his nose further into the trough because he had no one to oppose him? Until he pushed his luck too far?
Just a thought.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

We've got our club back on 21:07 - Oct 9 with 3162 viewsEllDale

That’s the issue in a nutshell.
The likes of Colin Garlick, Russ Green and James Mason weren’t directors and were controlled by the board.
David Bottomley found himself with unlimited powers as there was no adequate supervision.
We've got our club back on 22:03 - Oct 9 with 3074 viewskel

We've got our club back on 20:50 - Oct 9 by mikehunt

Bumley came across so well when he was being regularly interviewed about the financial state of lower league football clubs.
I mentioned this on a previous thread about him but one thing made alarm bells ring: when he said that fans won’t like me for saying this but the money from the Man U and Newcastle games would barely last us 2 months.

Still, I wonder if the old adage applies here: “Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely”. Did he find that it became easier and easier to go stick his nose further into the trough because he had no one to oppose him? Until he pushed his luck too far?
Just a thought.

The money would have lasted a lot longer if he hadn’t have awarded himself a huge pay rise during a global pandemic.

And I bet your average supporter could have found cheaper prices for works done at the club like the car park barrier for example. I often wonder how many quotes were sought for that particular job or was the contract given to a company in return for anything received by the person who signed it off? Just speculation on my part, of course.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 22:08]
We've got our club back on 22:11 - Oct 9 with 3041 viewsD_Alien

We've got our club back on 21:07 - Oct 9 by EllDale

The likes of Colin Garlick, Russ Green and James Mason weren’t directors and were controlled by the board.
David Bottomley found himself with unlimited powers as there was no adequate supervision.

Not quite the full nutshell...

To suggest he "found" himself with no adequate supervision misses the intent on his part to engineer precisely that, from the word go

Even the aspect of his coming across well regarding lower league finances was part of what was imo a strategy to further inveigle himself into a position of power within the wider hierarchy of the game

He's an out and out opportunist, and now apparently trying it on with Latics

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

We've got our club back on 23:17 - Oct 9 with 2931 viewsR17ALE

We've got our club back on 21:07 - Oct 9 by EllDale

Garlick and Mason were both Directors whilst at the club.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

We've got our club back on 23:24 - Oct 9 with 2916 viewsEllDale

Sorry, my mistake.
We've got our club back on 23:29 - Oct 9 with 2900 views49thseason

The first I knew of Bottom was when he was introduced at a fans forum and launched into how he new potential investors. My bullshit detector was immediately activated, not off the, scale but what he said seemed a bit inappropriate for someone new to the position he held.
Later, I met Judd in a pub we both frequent occasionally and he told me the Hasbro story, suddenly the BS detector was more than twitching and I realised as a salesman myself that Bottom wasn't promoting the club, he was promoting himself, he was turning Rochdale AFC into the Bottomley show.
I have seen it a hundred times, many salespeople confuse the adage that "people buy people first" as meaning that they have to sell / promote themselves when in reality it is about developing proper buyer /seller relationships based on trust and understanding each others motivations, somehow Bottom just never seemed trustworthy, he always seemed to want to be the centre of attraction rather than the football club. The way he enjoyed talking about his meetings at the EFL and how much money we needed or were spending on hand sanitiser seemed symptomatic. He was trying to impress tv viewers with his big talk, his big numbers rather than trying to reassure us that he was actually capable of running the club.
So, he has gone, best to forget him I think, and learn the value of proper interviewing techniques and thorough due diligence.
We've got our club back on 23:42 - Oct 9 with 2866 viewsR17ALE

We've got our club back on 23:29 - Oct 9 by 49thseason

The first I knew of Bottom was when he was introduced at a fans forum and launched into how he new potential investors. My bullshit detector was immediately activated, not off the, scale but what he said seemed a bit inappropriate for someone new to the position he held.
Later, I met Judd in a pub we both frequent occasionally and he told me the Hasbro story, suddenly the BS detector was more than twitching and I realised as a salesman myself that Bottom wasn't promoting the club, he was promoting himself, he was turning Rochdale AFC into the Bottomley show.
I have seen it a hundred times, many salespeople confuse the adage that "people buy people first" as meaning that they have to sell / promote themselves when in reality it is about developing proper buyer /seller relationships based on trust and understanding each others motivations, somehow Bottom just never seemed trustworthy, he always seemed to want to be the centre of attraction rather than the football club. The way he enjoyed talking about his meetings at the EFL and how much money we needed or were spending on hand sanitiser seemed symptomatic. He was trying to impress tv viewers with his big talk, his big numbers rather than trying to reassure us that he was actually capable of running the club.
So, he has gone, best to forget him I think, and learn the value of proper interviewing techniques and thorough due diligence.

Agree, although I was always taught "people buy from people"

"If you're a tvvat you'll sell nowt".

Don't forget Rawlinson is part of this. An equal tvvat to Bottom. And in cahoots all the way.

I think Bottom upsets people by being himself whereas Rawlinson does it on purpose. Make up your own mind who's the biggest tvvat.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Login to get fewer ads

We've got our club back on 09:25 - Oct 10 with 2589 viewstony_roch975

We've got our club back on 23:17 - Oct 9 by R17ALE

Garlick and Mason were both Directors whilst at the club.

weren't they Executive Directors which is slightly different?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

We've got our club back on 09:27 - Oct 10 with 2586 viewstony_roch975

We've got our club back on 23:29 - Oct 9 by 49thseason

absolutely - not only interview techniques, even holding one would be progress

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

We've got our club back on 10:10 - Oct 11 with 2229 viewsfitzochris

We've got our club back on 19:36 - Oct 9 by 100notout

To quote Fitzo
"Like many, I genuinely believed, despite his past misdemeanours, that he had the club’s best interests at heart, especially in the early stages of the pandemic with an invisible chairman.

It was this seeming openness that disarmed me. It led to misplaced trust and, ultimately, that was my undoing. BBM’s secret contract extension and a host of other things made me realise, I’d been played like everybody else. It was a complete slap in the face."

My thoughts exactly - I would also add that I believed he was just grossly incompetent rather than having any ulterior motive - wrong again!!!!!

PS hope you're feeling better Fitzo.

I am. Thank you. I had good people supporting me - family and friends.

The club has been brilliant in raising awareness about mental health issues recently and it’s so very important. Our very own Dean has done a tremendous job in sharing his own experiences too.

I would say I was guilty of dismissing it previously - until it was pointed out by a doctor that it was happening to me. I know now it’s all too real. I’ve worked in newsrooms where being screamed at was the norm etc and never once experienced this. Certain events in the past year though, were enough to trigger it. It can happen any time - with or without a reason.

All good now though.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

We've got our club back on 12:40 - Oct 11 with 2077 viewsncfc_chalky

This question has probably been answered before but I've missed it,why did BBM get the extra years contract and why was it kept secret even from some at RAFC?
I can still remember my suprise when that one came out at the meeting

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

We've got our club back on 17:19 - Oct 11 with 1843 viewsfermin

We've got our club back on 15:44 - Oct 9 by seasidedale

Just got an application for shares come through via email , it’s minimum 100 @£2 a share, think this put many people off or price them out (me for one)

Was this sent to all shareholders? If so, I didn't get one, though I have just had an email from the Trust about it.
We've got our club back on 17:32 - Oct 11 with 1814 viewskel

We've got our club back on 15:44 - Oct 9 by seasidedale

Just got an application for shares come through via email , it’s minimum 100 @£2 a share, think this put many people off or price them out (me for one)

I’m priced out too but can understand the clubs way of thinking. It’d be a lot of faff if 2000 supporters sent in applications for one share each.

Hopefully there will be a good take up though and hats off to those dipping their hand into their pocket.
We've got our club back on 18:03 - Oct 11 with 1755 viewsncfc_chalky

I would be willing to buy some shares if it kept the sharks from the club but I wouldn't want to purchase them if it meant that a Daley missed out,is there a cutoff date?

We've got our club back on 19:09 - Oct 11 with 1628 viewsrochedale

We've got our club back on 17:32 - Oct 11 by kel

I’m priced out too but can understand the clubs way of thinking. It’d be a lot of faff if 2000 supporters sent in applications for one share each.

Hopefully there will be a good take up though and hats off to those dipping their hand into their pocket.

I wouldn’t get a letter as not an existing shareholder, but would like to buy some now. Is there a way that I can receive said letter at all do you know?

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

We've got our club back on 19:13 - Oct 11 with 1618 viewskel

We've got our club back on 19:09 - Oct 11 by rochedale

I wouldn’t get a letter as not an existing shareholder, but would like to buy some now. Is there a way that I can receive said letter at all do you know?

It was in the trust newsletter this evening, but if you’re not a member then contact shares@rochdaleafc.co.uk
We've got our club back on 19:14 - Oct 11 with 1612 viewsleedsdale

Email from the Trust this evening includes this:

Any Trust member wanting to purchase shares needs to email the Club at shares@rochdaleafc.co.uk. There is a minimum purchase of 100 shares at £2 each.
We've got our club back on 19:15 - Oct 11 with 1608 views442Dale

For those asking re. shares: details are in an update from the Trust for members. If not a member, worth joining for a multitude of reasons as seen recently. Then they’re sure to be able to provide further info.

Or see the posts above! Then join the Trust too.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 19:15]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

We've got our club back on 19:15 - Oct 11 with 1604 viewsncfc_chalky

I got sent a letter via the Trust so it's not only current shareholders who can purchase them,here's the email that you have to contact

shares@rochdaleafc.co.uk

We've got our club back on 20:33 - Oct 11 with 1500 viewsThreeLions

I'm in. Sent the email off hoping to be accepted now
We've got our club back on 21:00 - Oct 11 with 1446 viewsBlueMessiah

Torn here between applying for the minimum in the hope that 1999 other Daley's do the same, but running the risk of being undersubscribed, or applying for as many as I can realistically afford and possibly doing other fans out of the chance of owning a part of the club.

Poll: Do I Know You?

We've got our club back on 21:06 - Oct 11 with 1427 viewsD_Alien

We've got our club back on 21:00 - Oct 11 by BlueMessiah

Torn here between applying for the minimum in the hope that 1999 other Daley's do the same, but running the risk of being undersubscribed, or applying for as many as I can realistically afford and possibly doing other fans out of the chance of owning a part of the club.

It's a good point

I'm guessing the club might see the number of fans with a minimum shareholding as being pretty important

If so (and providing it doesn't lead to oversubscription), i'd like to think all those who apply should be granted the minimum amount and the rest distributed on a pro rata basis according to the amount of shares they applied for. If that were to happen, you'd be better off applying for the amount you could reasonably afford

[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 21:40]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

We've got our club back on 22:00 - Oct 11 with 1323 viewsBrierls

We've got our club back on 21:00 - Oct 11 by BlueMessiah

I’ve applied for an amount but indicated a willingness to purchase more if there are shares left unsold once fans have had ample opportunity to purchase.
We've got our club back on 22:01 - Oct 11 with 1321 viewsrochedale

We've got our club back on 19:13 - Oct 11 by kel

It was in the trust newsletter this evening, but if you’re not a member then contact shares@rochdaleafc.co.uk

Cheers, and to the other responses. I was a member of the trust but my subscription may have elapsed, just checked emails and the last newsletter I got was 15th July. I shall email and get myself some shares 👍

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024