Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keith Hill for Carlisle? 10:10 - Oct 25 with 3921 viewsgriff

Awreet lads? KH is currently odds-on favourite for our vacant manager role at Carlisle.

Should I be worried? Is he, in fact, a vacant manager or will he do the job for us that Beech couldn’t?
Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 10:37 - Oct 25 with 3851 viewsDalenet

Keith is marmite. He has undoubted knowledge of the lower leagues and did the business for us over many seasons. He can work to a low budget and doesn't take prisoners.

However, he has a strong opinion of himself and can best be described as being a little arrogant. He doesn't take fan comment well and will occasionally turn on them if you "don't understand". But if you can stomach that, he will do a decent job. Beech was of course his number two in his second stint at Dale so you need to be mindful that their approach might be similar. His experience at Bolton and Tranmere might suggest he has lost his mojo - who knows.

For all his faults, he has been one of our more successful managers over the past 100 years and people recognise what he did for us.
Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 10:58 - Oct 25 with 3783 viewsdingdangblue

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 10:37 - Oct 25 by Dalenet

Keith is marmite. He has undoubted knowledge of the lower leagues and did the business for us over many seasons. He can work to a low budget and doesn't take prisoners.

However, he has a strong opinion of himself and can best be described as being a little arrogant. He doesn't take fan comment well and will occasionally turn on them if you "don't understand". But if you can stomach that, he will do a decent job. Beech was of course his number two in his second stint at Dale so you need to be mindful that their approach might be similar. His experience at Bolton and Tranmere might suggest he has lost his mojo - who knows.

For all his faults, he has been one of our more successful managers over the past 100 years and people recognise what he did for us.

To be fair he did get Tranmere to the play offs and a Wembley final and his overall record there was 40 games, 20 wins and only 10 defeats. Not quite lost his mojo. His problem at Dale was he stayed too long - there were only so many seasons he could turn water into wine.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 10:59 - Oct 25 with 3776 viewsHullDale

If you get 'No Fear' Keith Hill (probably pre 2015/2016) who wants to 'football teams to death' and accept conceding 3 if you score 4, you'll have one of the best Lg2 managers in the league.

If you get the more cynical, jaded Keith Hill (who seemed to believe his own hype and be more than a little fed up) then you risk an alienated fanbase, run ins with players / staff and a soap opera played out in the press when you're not doing well and the fans are turning.

I hope for your sake, as well as Hilly's, that you get the former. He always struck me as an inherently good bloke (who knows his way out of Lg 2 the right way) who lost his own way a bit after some personal stuff that went on. Still one of my favourite Dale managers of all time and I think most of us would wish him nothing but the best.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 11:00]
Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 11:14 - Oct 25 with 3716 viewsgriff

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 10:37 - Oct 25 by Dalenet

Beech played a high press, fast counter attack game early last season, but after that he went to long-ball tactics, even though we didn’t have a real target-man. We went from top 3 to relegation form overnight. There was never a plan B. If he’s appointed he’ll take over an average squad who are under-performing and there’ll be little or no extra cash. His biggest problem will be our board who are a bunch of dinosaurs who will be happy for us to stay mid-table in league 2 for, well, as long as you lot were.
Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 11:21 - Oct 25 with 3694 viewsBucketBstard

I'm afraid you are fecked mate, he is far too big for his own boots, he didnt learn his lessons at Barnsley and on our return or Bolton or Tranmere. Please dont criticise him unless you have a A standard pro football coaching continental license. Never expect a win , your expections will be too high and it will be your fault as you have bemoaned a bad performance. He is one arrogant fool . He used to have the knowledge , his scounting methods will consist of a list of players from a lower league team or Bansley pre 2012 . His stubborness and in ablitity to change is astounding.
I really hope for you guys after 3 sackings because of his attitude he might of got the message and become more humble , but I doubt it.
Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 11:43 - Oct 25 with 3628 views442Dale

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 11:21 - Oct 25 by BucketBstard

I'm afraid you are fecked mate, he is far too big for his own boots, he didnt learn his lessons at Barnsley and on our return or Bolton or Tranmere. Please dont criticise him unless you have a A standard pro football coaching continental license. Never expect a win , your expections will be too high and it will be your fault as you have bemoaned a bad performance. He is one arrogant fool . He used to have the knowledge , his scounting methods will consist of a list of players from a lower league team or Bansley pre 2012 . His stubborness and in ablitity to change is astounding.
I really hope for you guys after 3 sackings because of his attitude he might of got the message and become more humble , but I doubt it.

He was a very successful manager for four years after his return. But don’t let facts get in the way of anything.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 11:49 - Oct 25 with 3607 views_Windydale

League 2's his bag. Well worth a punt and works well with a younger squad with potential. His riddles of wisdom maybe hit home with an unassuming squad.

This man will frustrate you with strange team selections but often it worked out., HIs interviews i found entertaining, although he doesn't have time for fans. Or anything remotely negative said in his direction.Bit of a one off who has great form for this division.
Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 12:30 - Oct 25 with 3527 viewsSuddenLad

Keith has always struggled with the questioning by media post-match, particularly when it's a poor result. One-to-one without microphones and cameras he is great to talk to. I just think he detests having to explain himself to people who generally want to criticise any aspect of his selection/tactics.

He definitely has the ability and know how to get a team promoted from League Two and he can do that by playing entertaining and flowing football.

If you watch the games but ignore his media appearances, all will be well.

I think he's probably ready for another crack at it, after being kicked out at Tranmere.

Good luck to him and CUFC

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 12:48 - Oct 25 with 3445 viewsAtThePeake

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 11:21 - Oct 25 by BucketBstard

We've won 3 promotions in our history and Keith Hill was at the helm for 2 of them. He's managed four full seasons in L2 and has finished in the play-offs at a minimum on five occasions.

Yes, the last few seasons under him were poor (but even then he gave us some incredible memories such as the Tottenham & Charlton games) and yes, his handling of the media and fans at times is dreadful, but the lack of respect for him from some of our fans is baffling to me.

It depends how your fans see it Griff. If they can tune out the post-match interviews and focus on stuff that matters, like results, they'll probably be a happy bunch because his record in L2 is phenomenal.

Tangled up in blue.

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 13:05 - Oct 25 with 3362 viewsTVOS1907

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 11:43 - Oct 25 by 442Dale

He was a very successful manager for four years after his return. But don’t let facts get in the way of anything.

You're not expecting him to reply, are you? His posts are full of more holes than my socks, but he never comes back to justify himself.

God knows how he coped in the olden days.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 13:27 - Oct 25 with 3282 viewsRAFCBLUE

Got his chance at Rochdale and took it firmly with both hands.

The first spell of Keith Hill was brilliant. He was brilliant.

The second spell of Keith Hill was productive but he'd become hardened by the bad experiences of higher leagues and bigger clubs.

He'd be a good a appointment IF he is given full control as he was here in his first spell. Second time around was different and though as successful it was never the same.

He's fallen out with fans at Bolton and Tranmere since but I think would be a good appointment; knows this league and what it takes to be successful in it.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 14:35 - Oct 25 with 3128 views49thseason

Coincidentally, I watched the first half of the Tottenham game on YTube last night with all the BBC commentary. Hill was in his absolute element being interviewed. Looking back, the football was ace, how did Delaney and Kitching turn out so badly for us, they did really well in that game? Even Done looked like a player, with a turn of pace and a trick or two. It made me think that Hill is almost a split personality, capable of wonderful motivation for his team one minute and almost despondent with those around him the next, there seems to be very little middle ground. To say he wears his heart on his sleeve would be and understatement!
There are only 2 survivors from that game still at the club, Done and McNulty.
Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 18:18 - Oct 25 with 2801 viewsblackdogblue

Haw Griff,

Think I still have a “H”exit banner somewhere 🤷‍♂️(Long story who came up with that)… 🤣🤣

On a serious note, you could probably do worse & it’s no secret I respect him as a person.. whether this is the right directional move for CUFC in the short / long term is up to you lot up North..

No one else in the frame?

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 16:44 - Oct 26 with 2216 viewsgriff

As you were, Keith Millen appointed. At least I got the Keith right.
Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 16:45 - Oct 26 with 2211 viewsjudd

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 16:44 - Oct 26 by griff

As you were, Keith Millen appointed. At least I got the Keith right.

Who?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Keith Hill for Carlisle? on 16:50 - Oct 26 with 2199 viewsgriff

Excally.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024