Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Port Vale (h) Match Thread 17:04 - Feb 21 with 24832 viewsHullDale

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:15 - Feb 22 with 2544 views1907

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 21:52 - Feb 22 by kel

Wasn’t great was it but I had to leave early due to the grown men behind me in the main stand. One must have said “awwww come on” at least 50 times during the match and another had about 5 or 6 foul mouthed rants around children that lasted for about 5 minutes each time. It was like listening to a child who’s had his sweets taken off him. They eventually just ground me down and I couldn’t stand it any longer. Christ knows what they’re like at home.

Personally I’m more concerned about the negative dross on the pitch more than any negative comments or swearing from fans this evening. Fair play to everyone who made it to the end tonight, because that second half performance was too poor to even put into words.

Even the celebrations felt heart hearted at the end, something I can honestly say I’ve not seen before.

Although it is nice to be on the other side of some late drama for a change.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:15 - Feb 22 with 2540 viewsFrog

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:02 - Feb 22 by downunder

Fair point, but i would hazard a guess that the loss percentage is more in our favour.
Be interesting to know what the season record for draws is, as we have had plenty this time.

Losses:

BBM - 43.1%
RS - 30%

Points per game:

BBM - 1.19
RS - 1.16
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:16 - Feb 22 with 2509 viewsSuddenLad

Newby was woeful. No physical presence whatsoever, far too lightweight. He doesn't want to tackle, as soon as an opposition player appears, he loses the ball and ends upon the floor. Getting a bit too repetitive.

Dooley man of the match? Good grief.

I'll gladly take a point from that game, but I hope I have to wait a long, long time to witness another performance like that.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:20 - Feb 22 with 2462 viewsTVOS1907

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:02 - Feb 22 by downunder

Fair point, but i would hazard a guess that the loss percentage is more in our favour.
Be interesting to know what the season record for draws is, as we have had plenty this time.

20 in the 1968/69 promotion season.

Currently on 14, which has been exceeded in 19 seasons.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2022 22:24]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:20 - Feb 22 with 2457 viewstony_roch975

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:13 - Feb 22 by TomRAFC

There's a serious stadium issue from today that needs to be addressed. Those chicken curry pies were superb! They need to be there every game rather than just a guest pie.

We were completely ineffective today and have stolen a point. They were a physical team who shut us down and we hadn't a clue what to do. Total lack of marking for their goal. Credit to Ball for a cracking finish.

As many sides have done against us these past few seasons - a physical and high press game stops our midfield or defenders passing the ball out of our third so the ball over the top becomes the default tactic; under that pressure everyone struggled so credit to Port Vale for stopping us playing

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:20 - Feb 22 with 2454 viewskel

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:15 - Feb 22 by 1907

Personally I’m more concerned about the negative dross on the pitch more than any negative comments or swearing from fans this evening. Fair play to everyone who made it to the end tonight, because that second half performance was too poor to even put into words.

Even the celebrations felt heart hearted at the end, something I can honestly say I’ve not seen before.

As am I but I’d prefer my kids don’t hear language like I was hearing tonight. If that makes me a snowflake, which seems to be the favoured word at the moment, then so be it.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2022 22:21]
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:31 - Feb 22 with 2307 viewssooty_dale

Has any team had as poor home form as us over the past 3 seasons? It's appalling. So very fortunate tonight, completely out-fought which resulted in all of our players taking the easy pass (backwards or aimless hoof forward) and showed very little bravery. The late goal shouldn't mask that. Taylor my motm although there wasn't much competition, I thought he defended well though.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:32 - Feb 22 with 2290 viewsRafc3

Newby was about brilliant tonight. Man of the match display he was really physical tonight.

Poll: Stockdale: IN or OUT

Login to get fewer ads

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:35 - Feb 22 with 2251 viewsShun

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:09 - Feb 22 by D_Alien

Awful game, and i truly expect better, but we've moved up the table due to never giving up. Ball epitomises that for me, and should be captain

Meanwhile, sides around us (like Walsall) are getting tonked. 30 league games under RS and we've not been tonked by anyone, which is something to bear in mind

Onto the next game on Saturday, and need to see an improvement

[Post edited 22 Feb 2022 22:10]

Good points, and another thing that’s gone under the radar is how hard to beat we’re becoming. Endless draws won’t save us, but the sheer fight and tenacity to turn certain losses into draws (which we have done many, many times this season) is great to see. It’s because of that that only two sides (Exeter and Hartlepool) have lost less games than us at home this season.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:35 - Feb 22 with 2240 viewsdawlishdale

What an awful performance from start to finish, apart obviously from the jammy equaliser which came with our only effort on target. We were truly abysmal all over the pitch tonight, and how on Earth Port Vale are near the play offs only goes to show what a poor standard this league is. They must be sick as the proverbial that they didn't win despite them not being very good.

I honestly can't single out anyone for praise on or off the pitch. Stockdale is very lucky that people chose to sit in silence rather than direct some comments at him. The body language of most of the players was as bad as the Managers.

Serious doubts are emerging now about whether he can motivate and organise us into anything remotely resembling a decent team. Directors please note; we will be playing in front of sub 1500 if this continues.

I'd have them all in at 8am tomorrow, and make them watch the whole game back like we had to do. Painful.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:36 - Feb 22 with 2235 viewsoddjob007

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:15 - Feb 22 by 1907

Said exactly the same after the Sutton game about the atmosphere after the equaliser.

There’s something not right within the squad and I can’t put my finger on it. Not enough leaders and captains? EOC uses his captaincy to berate the officials and does little for the team.

Unless the unthinkable happens, RS will be here next season. A dodgy start and you do question for how long…

We need some experience in the team this summer.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:39 - Feb 22 with 2171 viewsdownunder

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:20 - Feb 22 by TVOS1907

20 in the 1968/69 promotion season.

Currently on 14, which has been exceeded in 19 seasons.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2022 22:24]

Sticks in the memory. Score 1-1, scorer Melledew.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:39 - Feb 22 with 2168 viewsFrog

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:35 - Feb 22 by Shun

Good points, and another thing that’s gone under the radar is how hard to beat we’re becoming. Endless draws won’t save us, but the sheer fight and tenacity to turn certain losses into draws (which we have done many, many times this season) is great to see. It’s because of that that only two sides (Exeter and Hartlepool) have lost less games than us at home this season.

It’s because of that that only two sides (Exeter and Hartlepool) have lost less games than us at home this season.

And no team has won less.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:43 - Feb 22 with 2096 viewsjudd

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:35 - Feb 22 by Shun

I'm in agreement with the pair of you.

A difficult watch and much credit for playing on and getting an undeserved goal that nevertheless saw us elevated to 16th in the league.

We lost the physicality battle and the ref seemed to be happy to give them the benefit of any 50:50.

We cannot expect this smattering of kids and non-league protégés to be instant successes but I feel it will gel sooner rather than later.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:44 - Feb 22 with 2092 viewsrich_dale

It's been said before but we don't seem fit enough. We do have some skilful players but without basic fitness and strength we can't compete. We do get outmuscled at times anyway as we're not the most powerful squad in the league but when we tried short passes or long passes tonight we were just bullied out of it (although our passing was generally atrocious). Once an opposing team realises we can't play through them we just get bulldozed and most of the game ends up being played in our own half.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:46 - Feb 22 with 2046 viewsDaleFan7

It was a game between 2 teams who have won 4 league games between them since November and it showed.

Awful match, possibly the worst half of football I've ever seen in the second half. We don't touch the ball within 10 yards of their box until the goal.

We really don't have the physicality or willingness to win the ball a lot of the time, however, one thing you can't deny, however badly we play we do seem to find away to not lose.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:48 - Feb 22 with 2023 viewsRafc3

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:44 - Feb 22 by rich_dale

It's been said before but we don't seem fit enough. We do have some skilful players but without basic fitness and strength we can't compete. We do get outmuscled at times anyway as we're not the most powerful squad in the league but when we tried short passes or long passes tonight we were just bullied out of it (although our passing was generally atrocious). Once an opposing team realises we can't play through them we just get bulldozed and most of the game ends up being played in our own half.

Campbell got blown over every time he was on the ball. Newby I’ve had harder shits than his tackles and Dooley has been robbing a living for a long time now. Some people think we should drop EOC but without him we would be left with donkey Dorsett and half decent max Taylor. If teams around us continue to win we might be in trouble.

Poll: Stockdale: IN or OUT

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:50 - Feb 22 with 1999 views49thseason

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:31 - Feb 22 by sooty_dale

Has any team had as poor home form as us over the past 3 seasons? It's appalling. So very fortunate tonight, completely out-fought which resulted in all of our players taking the easy pass (backwards or aimless hoof forward) and showed very little bravery. The late goal shouldn't mask that. Taylor my motm although there wasn't much competition, I thought he defended well though.

26 wins at home in the last 4 and a half seasons (106 games to date). Its a miracle that anywhere near 2000 people still turn up.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2022 23:30]
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:58 - Feb 22 with 1891 viewsjonahwhereru

Can’t have it that Vale played well. In any other game they would have been viewed as poor. It was just that we were very very poor.
There is usually a reason why two teams both playing poorly. The ground staff have had their work cut out recently so not fault of theirs but the pitch was very slow tonight and affected both teams. Although the pitch was light years better than this time of year 30 years ago.
There were a couple of positives. I thought Max Taylor had his best game in a Rochdale shirt. Being up against Proctor was no easy task. He won his battle. Campbell kept trying and I felt he deserved getting the break of the ball that led to the equaliser. We need to be the “best version of ourselves” for more than one half in four matches.
See that our league position actually improved by the end of the night, OMG. We all new it but by heck last year’s insipid performances have cost us this year. This league is very poor.
Always Dale mind.
UTDNFS
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:04 - Feb 22 with 1833 viewsjudd

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:58 - Feb 22 by jonahwhereru

Can’t have it that Vale played well. In any other game they would have been viewed as poor. It was just that we were very very poor.
There is usually a reason why two teams both playing poorly. The ground staff have had their work cut out recently so not fault of theirs but the pitch was very slow tonight and affected both teams. Although the pitch was light years better than this time of year 30 years ago.
There were a couple of positives. I thought Max Taylor had his best game in a Rochdale shirt. Being up against Proctor was no easy task. He won his battle. Campbell kept trying and I felt he deserved getting the break of the ball that led to the equaliser. We need to be the “best version of ourselves” for more than one half in four matches.
See that our league position actually improved by the end of the night, OMG. We all new it but by heck last year’s insipid performances have cost us this year. This league is very poor.
Always Dale mind.
UTDNFS

I thought Max Taylor was MOM tonight.

That those choosing MOM being Rochdale Referees Association proves the time old assertion of blindness as true.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:05 - Feb 22 with 1824 viewsD_Alien

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:50 - Feb 22 by 49thseason

26 wins at home in the last 4 and a half seasons (106 games to date). Its a miracle that anywhere near 2000 people still turn up.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2022 23:30]

Perhaps for the same reasons that people have gone to such trouble to save the club from being subject to a hostile takeover?

If sport and it's followers were simply a matter of following successful sides, there'd be only half as many teams with any fans at all

Someone recently (1907 i think, though stand to be corrected) said after a poor display that the efforts to keep us as a fan-owned club were irrelevant unless we had success on the pitch. What utter bollocks. Of course winning is great, as is playing cohesively, but sport is about so much more than success. That's why we're all still here after so many lean years in the 70s/80s/90s. If people had had the attitude espoused in some of these posts, we'd have folded during those times and not witnessed the great times over the past 15 years
[Post edited 22 Feb 2022 23:06]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:11 - Feb 22 with 1728 viewsboromat

Just got home. Well that was far from entertaining.

First few minutes of the first half I was worried they came out of the traps and pressed us hard. However to be fair without the ball we kept our shape and defended quite well I think their only chance was the goal from memory. Unfortunately we just can't handle the quick press, we don't seem confident or relaxed on the ball at the moment it's panic stations and we just give them the ball back.

Second half was probably worse. We threw on more attacking players and probably took our 3 worse performers off. But it was scrappy and long most of the time. Port Vale did end up with a chance or two in that second half but nothing of real note. We got our one chance and scored.

It was such a bad game and even though we were awful I don't think you can say we didn't deserve a point. Maybe neither team should have got anything from the game 😂.

Officials were really bad and the pitch is starting to bobble. Not excuses but just added to the misery.

I agreed with the man if the match but it was slim pickings. More that he did less wrong than the others.

Need to really take a look at themselves.

I'm already looking forward to next season. Say goodbye to that defence and start again I reckon. And bring in another central midfielder. Swap the 2 keepers for one true number 1.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:15 - Feb 22 with 1672 viewsExtra_Nan

We're in a bit of a spot here aren't we all told. 5 or 6 decent players but, god bless him, a primary school head in charge no? Successful football managers are strange headstrong beings, not altogether normal, and RS is definitely altogether normal. He's a decent football man though and no way should we even think about him leaving before the end of the season.

A realistic target was staying up and with RS we'll get there.

We have to see off Morton House, and take stock. And be realistic.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:16 - Feb 22 with 1660 views_Windydale

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:20 - Feb 22 by tony_roch975

As many sides have done against us these past few seasons - a physical and high press game stops our midfield or defenders passing the ball out of our third so the ball over the top becomes the default tactic; under that pressure everyone struggled so credit to Port Vale for stopping us playing

Clunky and jittery play. I think that's what made us so appalling, they pressured our team that needs a long pause for thought every time we make a pass. No flow to our play, whether it's through lack of coaching or we don't have that team spirit yet. Hard to watch.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:17 - Feb 22 with 1636 viewsjonahwhereru

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:48 - Feb 22 by Rafc3

Campbell got blown over every time he was on the ball. Newby I’ve had harder shits than his tackles and Dooley has been robbing a living for a long time now. Some people think we should drop EOC but without him we would be left with donkey Dorsett and half decent max Taylor. If teams around us continue to win we might be in trouble.

You may be bone idle when your at work, but don’t judge others by your standards.

Robbing ffs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024