Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hornets on Sunday 19:31 - Feb 24 with 256226 viewsEllDale

They’re tweeting that their “matchday operations” are being restricted for the home game against Barrow on Sunday for reasons that they don’t want to divulge at the moment.
The bottom line is that the crowd capacity is limited to 920 and there will be no cash admissions on the day.
Wonder what that’s all about?
Hornets on Sunday on 21:07 - Apr 23 with 3726 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hornets on Sunday on 20:47 - Apr 23 by kel

I’ve also heard from a few people that Steve Kerr is a good chap. Shame he’s being undermined by a gobshite who thinks he’s a big time Charlie.

Steve who? A CEO? Seems like a very grandiose job title.

Their last accounts said that Rochdale Hornets have 13 employees.

Speaking of employees how does a rugby league club which needs 13 on the field only have 13 employees? What about the manager and physio etc? Office staff?

Are there some not on the payroll? How does that work?

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Hornets on Sunday on 21:31 - Apr 23 with 3680 viewsjudd

Hornets on Sunday on 20:42 - Apr 23 by HullDale

I don't think I saw an answer to my question a few weeks ago (admittedly maybe because nobody knows or I'm barking up the wrong tree, but worth resurrecting just in case) but was there ever any truth in the rumour that Mr Mazey was going to be chairman (or a similar role) of Dale if Halsall was successful with his takeover attempt?

That would maybe explain his sniping at 'fan owned models' on social media etc - is he bitter that he isn't now the gaffer of all things Rochdale at Spotland? He has also now claimed that we are not fan owned, we're a limited company (as if the 2 are mutually exclusive!)

FWIW I've had a few dealings with Steve Kerr & he couldn't have been more positive / amicable about us... maybe just a different approach in their boardroom.

The name I saw linked with Martin Halsall was Ian Bridge

Poll: What is it to be then?

Hornets on Sunday on 22:50 - Apr 23 with 3614 viewspioneer

Hornets on Sunday on 20:42 - Apr 23 by HullDale

I don't think I saw an answer to my question a few weeks ago (admittedly maybe because nobody knows or I'm barking up the wrong tree, but worth resurrecting just in case) but was there ever any truth in the rumour that Mr Mazey was going to be chairman (or a similar role) of Dale if Halsall was successful with his takeover attempt?

That would maybe explain his sniping at 'fan owned models' on social media etc - is he bitter that he isn't now the gaffer of all things Rochdale at Spotland? He has also now claimed that we are not fan owned, we're a limited company (as if the 2 are mutually exclusive!)

FWIW I've had a few dealings with Steve Kerr & he couldn't have been more positive / amicable about us... maybe just a different approach in their boardroom.

I think what he is really getting at, but his limited command of the english language undermines him, is the difference between shareholder based ownership and membership based ownership.

Underthe former voting rights are determined by the number of shares, under membership its one member one vote.

Given we have, apart from during the tommy cannon dark age, we have always been locally owned by folks who have not prviously been involved in boards at other clubs or gone on to boards of other clubs I think its safe to say we have always been under fan ownership.

Now Mr A MAZE ing has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus…..its clearly not fan ownership.
Hornets on Sunday on 02:10 - Apr 24 with 3523 viewspioneer

Maze now tweeting people don’t realise how difficult ruining a team is!

That’s cos he keeps mum on all the details!!!!
Hornets on Sunday on 08:51 - Apr 24 with 3423 viewsTVOS1907

Hornets on Sunday on 02:10 - Apr 24 by pioneer

Maze now tweeting people don’t realise how difficult ruining a team is!

That’s cos he keeps mum on all the details!!!!

I hope that isn't a typo this time....

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Hornets on Sunday on 10:06 - Apr 24 with 3347 viewsmingthemerciless

Hornets on Sunday on 20:40 - Apr 23 by RAFCBLUE

I'm not sure the Crusaders form will last long enough for them to win the league but we will see.

Given the way that the RFL doesn't really care about this division the Champions are promoted and playoffs start at 6th for an 11 team division.

If you rule out West Wales Raiders, Cornwall, London Skolars that in effect makes it 8 teams for 5 playoff places.

The top 6 should be:
Swinton, Keighley, Crusaders, Doncaster, Hornets, Oldham.

Mazey will be hoping that Hornets get high enough up the league to get a good playoff spot.

I think Hunslet were expecting to make the play offs.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 10:07]
Hornets on Sunday on 10:46 - Apr 24 with 3300 viewskel

Hornets on Sunday on 07:52 - Mar 28 by RochdaleGlory

Wouldn’t know the guy if I fell over him but people in the town are saying nothing but positive things about the current board and progress Hornets are making since a disastrous 2019 under "fan ownership".

Ask Hornets fans in the town about do gooders running clubs and fans in boardrooms. Sports clubs need experienced operators and investment if they have any level of ambition in any sport at any level in my humble opinion.

One thing that is for sure they don’t seem to be going down the pan as quickly as we are under our current chairman and board and they ain’t out using begging bowls and scrimping and borrowing.

A lot of deflection since my last post here but I'm told by some very reliable sources in the town that the RL club are doing nothing wrong at all and we are out of order in the way we dealing with them. I believe this to be true as senior people in the council are monitoring it.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2022 9:00]

Almost like it’s written by the same person…
Hornets on Sunday on 22:07 - Apr 26 with 2888 viewsRAFCBLUE

Speaking of Mazey kel, Fat Pat was telling me today about a conversation she had had with a well known local unhappy Hornets player as he tucked into a couple of her warm barms at lunchtime.

Apparently, when London Skolars played Rochdale Hornets on Saturday, the feted rugby league chairman did not attend bother to attend the game which was in Wood Green, London

He could however managed to move himself to attend the Fury vs Whyte boxing match at Wembley Stadium - which was also attended by some other Rochdale Hornets players.

The distance in London between the two venues - 10.5 miles.

The Hornets player was complaining to Fat Pat there is a have and have not culture appearing at Spotland. If you're not an ageing former rugby league star and now Hornets player then really you are seen as a nobody.

Fat Pat reminded him that however bad he might feel, he should be pleased he is not Alexander Jarvis! He's the nobody!

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Login to get fewer ads

Hornets on Sunday on 22:38 - Apr 26 with 2841 viewsEllDale

Unless I’ve missed it there hasn’t been much mention of any formal celebration of the centenary of Hornets winning the challenge cup.
That was at Headingley on May 6th 1922.
They’re at home on Saturday 7th May so perhaps something has been organised? Would be a shame to let the occasion slip by virtually unnoticed.
Hornets on Sunday on 22:44 - Apr 26 with 2825 viewskel

Hornets on Sunday on 22:07 - Apr 26 by RAFCBLUE

Speaking of Mazey kel, Fat Pat was telling me today about a conversation she had had with a well known local unhappy Hornets player as he tucked into a couple of her warm barms at lunchtime.

Apparently, when London Skolars played Rochdale Hornets on Saturday, the feted rugby league chairman did not attend bother to attend the game which was in Wood Green, London

He could however managed to move himself to attend the Fury vs Whyte boxing match at Wembley Stadium - which was also attended by some other Rochdale Hornets players.

The Hornets player was complaining to Fat Pat there is a have and have not culture appearing at Spotland. If you're not an ageing former rugby league star and now Hornets player then really you are seen as a nobody.

Fat Pat reminded him that however bad he might feel, he should be pleased he is not Alexander Jarvis! He's the nobody!

Ah, the very evening he blocked me on Twitter and lost his temper claiming someone had informed him of this thread (oldest trick in the book and utter bullshit). Drink too many maybe? Must be a coincidence that The Hornet and RochdaleGlory haven’t been seen since either…

Hi Andy
[Post edited 26 Apr 2022 22:44]
Hornets on Sunday on 22:53 - Apr 26 with 2800 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hornets on Sunday on 22:44 - Apr 26 by kel

Ah, the very evening he blocked me on Twitter and lost his temper claiming someone had informed him of this thread (oldest trick in the book and utter bullshit). Drink too many maybe? Must be a coincidence that The Hornet and RochdaleGlory haven’t been seen since either…

Hi Andy
[Post edited 26 Apr 2022 22:44]

I'll bet that Wembley prices for ale are significantly higher than those in the Dale Bar!

Hornets on Sunday on 23:28 - Apr 26 with 2729 viewspioneer

Hornets on Sunday on 22:38 - Apr 26 by EllDale

Unless I’ve missed it there hasn’t been much mention of any formal celebration of the centenary of Hornets winning the challenge cup.
That was at Headingley on May 6th 1922.
They’re at home on Saturday 7th May so perhaps something has been organised? Would be a shame to let the occasion slip by virtually unnoticed.

I know that date appears on Wikipedia and various other sites but it is wrong. May 6 1922 was a wednesday.

The centenary of the northern Union Cup final win is on Friday (29th April).

I agree with you - shows something about current leadership when there is no planned celebration. I expect they dont want have past successes recognised since they had nothing to do with them.

Here's to Friday - may all associated with Rochdale raise a glass and toast the historic success of Rochdale Hornets
Hornets on Sunday on 12:58 - Apr 27 with 2510 viewsEllDale

Thanks for pointing that out Pioneer.
Otherwise I'd have been uncorking a bottle on the wrong day!
Massive shame to my mind that this isn't receiving more publicity.
My grandad actually went to Headingley for the final but a lot of other people couldn't get there as Saturday morning was still an integral part of the working week for many in those days.
I read that Drake Street was blocked as crowds thronged outside the "Observer" offices where score updates were placed in the window.
And a reported 40000 people were in the Town Hall Square to welcome the team home later that evening.
The current custodians of the club wouldn't know anything about it's sporting heritage though I suppose.
Hornets on Sunday on 13:26 - Apr 27 with 2480 viewspioneer

Hornets on Sunday on 12:58 - Apr 27 by EllDale

My grandad actually went to Headingley for the final but a lot of other people couldn't get there as Saturday morning was still an integral part of the working week for many in those days.
I read that Drake Street was blocked as crowds thronged outside the "Observer" offices where score updates were placed in the window.
And a reported 40000 people were in the Town Hall Square to welcome the team home later that evening.
The current custodians of the club wouldn't know anything about it's sporting heritage though I suppose.

Great recollections….I haventpreviously heard of anyone who was actually at the game.

The crowd of 35000 was a record for a rugby league game and remained so for a couple of years until the final was played art the athletic grounds in front of 41,000. That wasnt beaten until the final was moved to Wembley.

Ironically one year before in April 1921 Hornets suffered their record defeat to the same Hull club, 79-2. It was to remain theirrecord defeat for 85 years until Castleford won at spotland 107-0!

There are some obtuse connections between the final and the Dale. The FACup final was played on the same day atStamford Bridge, the last final before Wembley. Huddersfield beat Preston 1-0 with a goalby billy smith. Smith later managed Dale in the 1930s and came out of retirement to play three league games for Dale while manager and scoring a goal and also got a goal in his one FACup appearance v wrexham and in a lancashire cup tie against a team about to depart the league 😊
He was an England international and together with his son Conway became the first father-son to both score 100 league goals. His grandson later played for huddersfield including appearing in the last game at Leeds Road.

Meanwhile on the preston team was Archie Rawlings, also an England international, who had played 102 games for Dale in their pre football league days.

OK … I know, I need to get a life😊
Hornets on Sunday on 13:53 - Apr 27 with 2435 viewsEllDale

That 1924 final between Oldham and Wigan at the Athletic Grounds which attracted over 41000 spectators was notable in as much as it paralysed the local railway network for much of the day as most people travelled by train in those days.
You can hire as many football specials as you like but they've got to be parked up somewhere until it's time for the return trip!
I suppose that many Oldham fans would walk or travel by tram but the vast majority of the Wiganers would have come by train. Rochdale station must have been heaving.
Hornets on Sunday on 14:50 - Apr 27 with 2363 viewsZac_B

In the interest of fairness, his Twitter feed shows him to have ordered the fight on BT Box Office. Unless that's a ruse of course!
Hornets on Sunday on 15:56 - Apr 27 with 2291 views49thseason

My wife's grandfather played in the winning Hornets team, his winners medal is still in her family.
Hornets on Sunday on 16:58 - Apr 27 with 2224 viewskel

Hornets on Sunday on 14:50 - Apr 27 by Zac_B

In the interest of fairness, his Twitter feed shows him to have ordered the fight on BT Box Office. Unless that's a ruse of course!

I think we know from this thread he’s not the most honest bloke in the world. I’m told he tells different people different stories depending on who they are and what he can gain from it personally. He’s annoyed a lot of people and they are beginning to notice it and share stories.
Hornets on Sunday on 17:13 - Apr 27 with 2201 viewsEllDale

Hornets on Sunday on 22:07 - Apr 26 by RAFCBLUE

It's a common phenomenon in Championship and League One rugby league where gnarled old pros seem to be earning decent money on short term contracts and local lads have their noses pushed out.
Clubs see these veterans as the instant recipe for success - it's not just Hornets but Swinton and Keighley for example are other clubs following the same template.
I have to say though that Hornets do seem, on the face of it, to have a decent link-up with Hopwood Hall College and seem to have signed quite a few youngsters from there.
They won't be on the same money though which is always a bone of contention.
The other problem of course is that if and when promotion comes as a consequence then these older players either can't hack it at that level any more or move elsewhere for another payday.
Hornets on Sunday on 17:55 - Apr 27 with 2146 viewsmingthemerciless

Hornets on Sunday on 17:13 - Apr 27 by EllDale

It's a common phenomenon in Championship and League One rugby league where gnarled old pros seem to be earning decent money on short term contracts and local lads have their noses pushed out.
Clubs see these veterans as the instant recipe for success - it's not just Hornets but Swinton and Keighley for example are other clubs following the same template.
I have to say though that Hornets do seem, on the face of it, to have a decent link-up with Hopwood Hall College and seem to have signed quite a few youngsters from there.
They won't be on the same money though which is always a bone of contention.
The other problem of course is that if and when promotion comes as a consequence then these older players either can't hack it at that level any more or move elsewhere for another payday.

Back when I started watching football back in the 1960’s most lower league teams had a few old heads that had been big time in their day. Didn’t Ted Burgin play for Leeds in the old Div 1 and was a reserve for the 1954 England World Cup team ? Stan Milburn was an England B international and Doug Winton played for Burnley and Villa at top level and was a Scotland B international.

Before my time England international John Haines had a spell at the Dale. Promotion rivals Brighton had England striker Bobby Smith a year after he played for England and Brentford had Scottish striker John Dick. All top class players in their day. Given the wages in football at the time players had to play on as long as they could. Nowadays players at top level are earning enough to retire when their time at top level is over. Ted and Stan would have been millionaires if they were playing today.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 18:23]
Hornets on Sunday on 19:31 - Apr 27 with 2032 viewspioneer

Hornets on Sunday on 15:56 - Apr 27 by 49thseason

My wife's grandfather played in the winning Hornets team, his winners medal is still in her family.

Brilliant….has your wife or her family thought of contacting the press or local TV about it. It would provide a very interesting story at this time.

Out of interest what was his name? And any chance you could post a photo of the medal on here?
Hornets on Sunday on 21:21 - Apr 27 with 1964 viewshammerdale

Not too many particularly bothered about the 60th Anniversary of Dale's League Cup Final appearance.....in fact there is nothing on the club website
Hornets on Sunday on 21:29 - Apr 27 with 1956 viewspioneer

Just found a pice in an old programme about a train load of Hornets fans that arrived late for the game…….they did make it towards end of first half and were let in for free. Probably means the official attendence is an underestimate.

Can you imagine it, the only cup final in 150 years of club history and your train was late!
Hornets on Sunday on 23:08 - Apr 27 with 1878 viewsR17ALE

Is there any chance you lot can take your Hornets shit to another forum?

Very few on here like rugger or Hornets.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Hornets on Sunday on 23:10 - Apr 27 with 1875 viewsSandyman

[Post edited 27 Apr 2022 23:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024