Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Programmes 07:22 - Apr 7 with 5524 viewsSandyman

What does the panel think of this article?
Discuss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60994152
Programmes on 09:02 - Apr 7 with 4458 viewspioneer

Probably inevitable …sadly. Happening in other sports and other countries.

I never voted for a digital world but it happened anyway☹️
Programmes on 09:10 - Apr 7 with 4450 viewsTVOS1907

I think it contains a lot of interesting points and I can see both sides of the coin.

In the end it will come down to time and money, while unfortunately, I don't think a lot of clubs are as bothered about the game's traditions anymore.

TIME
Most club programmes are produced by media departments who may wish to divert their time and resources elsewhere.

If the programme is put together by someone outwith the club (ahem...) and they are still willing and able to continue, then I think they should do for the benefit of those who expect a programme at a game and also to keep recording and archiving the club's week-by-week progress for future generations to look back on.

I know that without my own Dale collection, I would be missing a huge resource that helps immeasurably with putting together TVOS.

Yes, a lot of information, statistics and records are out there on the internet, but they're not always as easily accessible, not in convenient formats, nor are they Dale-specific, which I think is important.

MONEY
I've no idea whether TVOS does or not make money anymore (that's the club's department) and I was always unhappy with how sales were recorded in the accounts in previous seasons (and because last season was 'programmeless' we'll have to wait a year for this season's figures to be accounted for).

However, like so many other things, results on the pitch lead to bigger/smaller crowds and subsequent sales thereof. In the 'glory' years under Keith Hill, with better crowds, sales were higher, but now the crowds are lower, so are sales.

THE FUTURE
My personal view is that TVOS (the programme, not me) might not exist in ten years time, maybe even less. But I could be wrong - I hope I am.

Younger supporters aren't as interested and are more directed towards what they can find out on their phone, so we are generally relying on the older and more traditional fanbase.

I have noticed a decline in quality this season (obviously not at TVOS ).

Many clubs have reduced the page count, but kept prices the same. Articles are shorter and with bigger headlines/bigger pictures. It smells of them just getting something out there without really putting the time and effort in, which takes us back to my first point.

Interestingly, Scunthorpe went down the digital route this season, but the fans have complained so much that they want to go back to paper copies for 2022/23.

Whether they will reassess when relegation is confirmed, I don't know, but 'the powers that be' at Scunthorpe thought they knew best and have been forced into a backtrack.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 9:11]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Programmes on 12:50 - Apr 7 with 4199 viewsD_Alien

Programmes on 09:10 - Apr 7 by TVOS1907

I think it contains a lot of interesting points and I can see both sides of the coin.

In the end it will come down to time and money, while unfortunately, I don't think a lot of clubs are as bothered about the game's traditions anymore.

TIME
Most club programmes are produced by media departments who may wish to divert their time and resources elsewhere.

If the programme is put together by someone outwith the club (ahem...) and they are still willing and able to continue, then I think they should do for the benefit of those who expect a programme at a game and also to keep recording and archiving the club's week-by-week progress for future generations to look back on.

I know that without my own Dale collection, I would be missing a huge resource that helps immeasurably with putting together TVOS.

Yes, a lot of information, statistics and records are out there on the internet, but they're not always as easily accessible, not in convenient formats, nor are they Dale-specific, which I think is important.

MONEY
I've no idea whether TVOS does or not make money anymore (that's the club's department) and I was always unhappy with how sales were recorded in the accounts in previous seasons (and because last season was 'programmeless' we'll have to wait a year for this season's figures to be accounted for).

However, like so many other things, results on the pitch lead to bigger/smaller crowds and subsequent sales thereof. In the 'glory' years under Keith Hill, with better crowds, sales were higher, but now the crowds are lower, so are sales.

THE FUTURE
My personal view is that TVOS (the programme, not me) might not exist in ten years time, maybe even less. But I could be wrong - I hope I am.

Younger supporters aren't as interested and are more directed towards what they can find out on their phone, so we are generally relying on the older and more traditional fanbase.

I have noticed a decline in quality this season (obviously not at TVOS ).

Many clubs have reduced the page count, but kept prices the same. Articles are shorter and with bigger headlines/bigger pictures. It smells of them just getting something out there without really putting the time and effort in, which takes us back to my first point.

Interestingly, Scunthorpe went down the digital route this season, but the fans have complained so much that they want to go back to paper copies for 2022/23.

Whether they will reassess when relegation is confirmed, I don't know, but 'the powers that be' at Scunthorpe thought they knew best and have been forced into a backtrack.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 9:11]

"...so we are generally relying on the older and more traditional fanbase.

I have noticed a decline in quality this season..."

Had to read that twice!!

Great summary

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Programmes on 13:06 - Apr 7 with 4161 viewsTVOS1907

Programmes on 12:50 - Apr 7 by D_Alien

"...so we are generally relying on the older and more traditional fanbase.

I have noticed a decline in quality this season..."

Had to read that twice!!

Great summary

I was excluding you from that.....

Programmes on 14:02 - Apr 7 with 4102 viewsD_Alien

Programmes on 13:06 - Apr 7 by TVOS1907

I was excluding you from that.....

We should all get with the programme...

Programmes on 14:10 - Apr 7 with 4094 views49thseason

I don't see any reason not to continue with the traditional programmes as long as it doesn't lose money and the work involved doesn't become too onerous to be done by volunteers.
BUT... There is no reason why some of the content couldn't be re-purposed for use in a club App.
As I look around, pre-match, it seems like half the crowd is busy with "stuff" on their phones, . Is the club making best use of available technologies? I don't think so.
Its clear that the whole club needs to move forwards at a much faster pace, and in doing so, the use of 21st century technology is an absolute "must" .
An App with "push "technology offer a whole new world of opportunity, for fans, marketing, tickets, raffles, sponsors and club messages. The ability to stich together what is on the big screen, on the website, on the Tannoy system, and in the legacy press is a fantastic marketing tool. Getting feedback on who is interested in what, running instant surveys, testing new ideas is marketing gold. We have "ticketless entry", why not via an App? Why not link through to the club shop We have a YouTube channel with nearly 6000 subscribers so the content there must be of interest to somebody, why not also on an App?

Let's face it, the Club is hanging on by its finger nails at the moment, we don't have money to waste so marketing spend has to get a return, and there needs to be clear information about what people (the fans) actually want from the club, which after all is owned by the fans. The communication needs to be seamless, and all channels need to be singing the same song.

An App could be a major vehicle for pulling people into the ground, offering last-minute vouchers, free raffles, Sponsor videos, Vouchers for the bars or the pie stalls, next match vouchers, Tuesday night game vouchers, shop vouchers, tie-ins with local businesses, Birthday greetings from a favourite player, and on and on.

We need to build excitement and enthusiasm, its simply not viable to expect a couple of thousand die-hards to keep putting their hands in their pockets, RAFC needs to be at the heart of the whole community irrespective of whether they are football fans or not. There is virtually no Rochdale Observer no Saturday Pink, Rochdale Online seems disinterested in the main. TV/ radio coverage is a joke so its down to us to build this community, to entice new fans and then retain them. An App on every phone in Rochdale is a big ask, probably impossible but lets not use difficulty as a reason not to start.

Are there any techies on here who know what these thing cost ? I assume not cheap but equally can we afford not to? Might Zen build it for us in return for sponsoring the whole thing? We won't know until someone asks....

https://other.media/clubcast/
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 14:23]
Programmes on 14:46 - Apr 7 with 4047 viewsTVOS1907

Programmes on 14:10 - Apr 7 by 49thseason

I don't see any reason not to continue with the traditional programmes as long as it doesn't lose money and the work involved doesn't become too onerous to be done by volunteers.
BUT... There is no reason why some of the content couldn't be re-purposed for use in a club App.
As I look around, pre-match, it seems like half the crowd is busy with "stuff" on their phones, . Is the club making best use of available technologies? I don't think so.
Its clear that the whole club needs to move forwards at a much faster pace, and in doing so, the use of 21st century technology is an absolute "must" .
An App with "push "technology offer a whole new world of opportunity, for fans, marketing, tickets, raffles, sponsors and club messages. The ability to stich together what is on the big screen, on the website, on the Tannoy system, and in the legacy press is a fantastic marketing tool. Getting feedback on who is interested in what, running instant surveys, testing new ideas is marketing gold. We have "ticketless entry", why not via an App? Why not link through to the club shop We have a YouTube channel with nearly 6000 subscribers so the content there must be of interest to somebody, why not also on an App?

Let's face it, the Club is hanging on by its finger nails at the moment, we don't have money to waste so marketing spend has to get a return, and there needs to be clear information about what people (the fans) actually want from the club, which after all is owned by the fans. The communication needs to be seamless, and all channels need to be singing the same song.

An App could be a major vehicle for pulling people into the ground, offering last-minute vouchers, free raffles, Sponsor videos, Vouchers for the bars or the pie stalls, next match vouchers, Tuesday night game vouchers, shop vouchers, tie-ins with local businesses, Birthday greetings from a favourite player, and on and on.

We need to build excitement and enthusiasm, its simply not viable to expect a couple of thousand die-hards to keep putting their hands in their pockets, RAFC needs to be at the heart of the whole community irrespective of whether they are football fans or not. There is virtually no Rochdale Observer no Saturday Pink, Rochdale Online seems disinterested in the main. TV/ radio coverage is a joke so its down to us to build this community, to entice new fans and then retain them. An App on every phone in Rochdale is a big ask, probably impossible but lets not use difficulty as a reason not to start.

Are there any techies on here who know what these thing cost ? I assume not cheap but equally can we afford not to? Might Zen build it for us in return for sponsoring the whole thing? We won't know until someone asks....

"I don't see any reason not to continue with the traditional programmes as long as it doesn't lose money and the work involved doesn't become too onerous to be done by volunteers."

It's already extremely onerous, particularly when there are a run of home games with tight deadlines like we have this month.

I like some of your other ideas; have you approached the club's media department or other relevant people about them?
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 14:48]

Programmes on 14:49 - Apr 7 with 4039 viewsD_Alien

Programmes on 14:46 - Apr 7 by TVOS1907

"I don't see any reason not to continue with the traditional programmes as long as it doesn't lose money and the work involved doesn't become too onerous to be done by volunteers."

It's already extremely onerous, particularly when there are a run of home games with tight deadlines like we have this month.

I like some of your other ideas; have you approached the club's media department or other relevant people about them?
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 14:48]

And with new people in Dale's marketing dept now would be the ideal time

I agree, some of 49th's ideas sound not just sensible but daft not to utilise

Go for it, 49th!

Login to get fewer ads

Programmes on 15:22 - Apr 7 with 4007 views49thseason

Programmes on 14:49 - Apr 7 by D_Alien

And with new people in Dale's marketing dept now would be the ideal time

I agree, some of 49th's ideas sound not just sensible but daft not to utilise

Go for it, 49th!

You would imagine that the club's marketing department would read these pages, not to listen to what is essentially the only voice of the fans would be negligent to say the least.

I would be happy to help in any way I can, but its nice to be asked! Indeed there are lots of retired people like me who support the club and could lend some expertise and maybe open a few doors. Harnessing the skills and expertise of people with time on their hands could be a major, cost-free, addition to the the club's ability to do more with less.
Programmes on 15:30 - Apr 7 with 3996 viewsTVOS1907

Programmes on 15:22 - Apr 7 by 49thseason

You would imagine that the club's marketing department would read these pages, not to listen to what is essentially the only voice of the fans would be negligent to say the least.

I would be happy to help in any way I can, but its nice to be asked! Indeed there are lots of retired people like me who support the club and could lend some expertise and maybe open a few doors. Harnessing the skills and expertise of people with time on their hands could be a major, cost-free, addition to the the club's ability to do more with less.

If I was you, I would approach the club, as they aren't going to know the skills and knowledge base of all their fans!

That's how I got involved way back in 1987 and I'm still going - sort of!

Programmes on 17:11 - Apr 7 with 3910 viewsblackdogblue

Programmes on 15:30 - Apr 7 by TVOS1907

If I was you, I would approach the club, as they aren't going to know the skills and knowledge base of all their fans!

That's how I got involved way back in 1987 and I'm still going - sort of!

Where’s Frances when you need her? 😀

Apps are fine & yes they generate income through advertising but the pop ups are so annoying it turns a lot of people off…

Without adverts or add ons like games there is no money to be made and will cost time to create & maintain..

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Programmes on 17:20 - Apr 7 with 3892 viewsTVOS1907

Programmes on 17:11 - Apr 7 by blackdogblue

Apps are fine & yes they generate income through advertising but the pop ups are so annoying it turns a lot of people off…

Without adverts or add ons like games there is no money to be made and will cost time to create & maintain..

I agree, but it was 49thseason who mentioned them.

Programmes on 17:52 - Apr 7 with 3839 viewsblackdogblue

Programmes on 17:20 - Apr 7 by TVOS1907

I agree, but it was 49thseason who mentioned them.

Yes mate, quick google kills that idea though..

As for an app that requires full-cycle development, meaning from requirements, gathering, design, development, testing, and then launches, the cost of app development can range from £100,000 to £500,000. Depending on the complexity

Programmes on 18:02 - Apr 7 with 3819 viewsD_Alien

Programmes on 17:52 - Apr 7 by blackdogblue

Yes mate, quick google kills that idea though..

As for an app that requires full-cycle development, meaning from requirements, gathering, design, development, testing, and then launches, the cost of app development can range from £100,000 to £500,000. Depending on the complexity

I think you're looking at high-end apps there, bdb, i.e. those intended for a mass audience

A localised app, especially if developed by a company such as Zen whose techies know how to navigate the systems involved, wouldn't cost anything like that

I wouldn't hazard a guess at how cheaply it could be done, but basically any individual with the requisite skills can develop an app

Programmes on 20:09 - Apr 7 with 3700 viewsRAFCBLUE

Programmes on 17:11 - Apr 7 by blackdogblue

https://www.lancashirebusinessview.co.uk/latest-news-and-features/blackburn-rove

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Programmes on 21:49 - Apr 7 with 3611 viewskel

Programmes on 20:09 - Apr 7 by RAFCBLUE

https://www.lancashirebusinessview.co.uk/latest-news-and-features/blackburn-rove

Wonder if there’s a JPSRovers on their message board yet.
Programmes on 10:13 - Apr 8 with 3382 viewsisitme

Programmes on 20:09 - Apr 7 by RAFCBLUE

How?
Programmes on 10:27 - Apr 8 with 3361 viewsblackdogblue

Programmes on 18:02 - Apr 7 by D_Alien

I think you're looking at high-end apps there, bdb, i.e. those intended for a mass audience

A localised app, especially if developed by a company such as Zen whose techies know how to navigate the systems involved, wouldn't cost anything like that

I wouldn't hazard a guess at how cheaply it could be done, but basically any individual with the requisite skills can develop an app

I see where you are going but getting it listed in the APP Store & Android equivalent won't be easy.

Just look at how poor the turnout has been for the easy fundraising app despite numerous pleas from the Trust.. People do not trust these things nowadays

Programmes on 10:56 - Apr 8 with 3340 viewsDalenet

Programmes on 14:10 - Apr 7 by 49thseason

Great vision there and you are right that the world is changing and we need to become relevant to a wider audience. I suspect the club is picking off big ticket items right now - sponsorships and renewals and events - to bring quick revenue in. But we need to engage a wider community and fan base.

Anyway, just a shout out to TVOS and his band of volunteer contributors to the programme. It's great value for £3 and there is always something to learn in every edition. We are lucky to have such dedicated fans who put that much effort into it. Pity the audience isn't wider
Programmes on 11:41 - Apr 8 with 3289 viewskel

Programmes on 21:49 - Apr 7 by kel

Wonder if there’s a JPSRovers on their message board yet.

Nice like ‘Dickster’ even though your sister comically claimed it wasn’t you.

She’s told people you’re not a fan any more anyway so off you pop, son, along with the other Roger arse kissers
[Post edited 8 Apr 2022 11:42]
Programmes on 12:12 - Apr 8 with 3247 viewsblackdogblue

Programmes on 11:41 - Apr 8 by kel

She’s told people you’re not a fan any more anyway so off you pop, son, along with the other Roger arse kissers

Why are you commenting on your own post?

Programmes on 12:28 - Apr 8 with 3215 viewskel

Programmes on 12:12 - Apr 8 by blackdogblue

Why are you commenting on your own post?

Because I can’t quote a like.
Programmes on 12:49 - Apr 8 with 3190 viewsblackdogblue

Programmes on 12:28 - Apr 8 by kel

Because I can’t quote a like.

Ok there’s one for you 😀

Programmes on 15:34 - Apr 8 with 3102 viewsDaleiLama

Programmes on 11:41 - Apr 8 by kel

Are you sure she has bro?

Oops

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Programmes on 19:17 - Apr 8 with 2973 viewsHullDale

Programmes on 10:13 - Apr 8 by isitme

How?

No idea... however:

https://www.afcfylde.co.uk/job-advert-commercial-manager/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024