Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gillingham (a) Match Thread 18:11 - Aug 4 with 29706 viewsHullDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:12 - Aug 6 with 3305 viewsMoonyDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:01 - Aug 6 by D_Alien

Agree with that

If nothing changes, it's far too long till December to make a decision. Right now, the end of August seems a long way off. I'll be away for next week's game against Grimsby but if there's nothing turning around by the Crawley fixture that's when my previous loyalty to RS will be changing

To sum up, if he can't change it, we will

He's had 2 league games, for me he has 4 more and that's it....We need 7 points at least from the next 4 otherwise it's bye bye time...

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:14 - Aug 6 with 3290 viewsEllDale

I’ll echo that, he seems a decent, honest enough bloke. That’s not always a recipe for success though.
We’re not actually in the bottom two but what worries me is that the likes of Tranmere and Stockport look to be too good to remain pointless for long.
And Crawley allegedly have money to spend.
The quandary is, does RS get fired now after only two games?
Difficult decision for the board because if they give him to end of the month fo4 example any new manager won’t be able to recruit as the transfer window will have closed.
This is probably ridiculous but looking at next Saturday’s game with Grimsby, how long do you have to be into the season before a game becomes a “six pointer” or “must win”?
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:26 - Aug 6 with 3196 viewsrichfoad32

If we were to pull the plug on Stockdale, who is available as a replacement? Is there anyone in particular people would like to see?
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:28 - Aug 6 with 3161 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:14 - Aug 6 by EllDale

I’ll echo that, he seems a decent, honest enough bloke. That’s not always a recipe for success though.
We’re not actually in the bottom two but what worries me is that the likes of Tranmere and Stockport look to be too good to remain pointless for long.
And Crawley allegedly have money to spend.
The quandary is, does RS get fired now after only two games?
Difficult decision for the board because if they give him to end of the month fo4 example any new manager won’t be able to recruit as the transfer window will have closed.
This is probably ridiculous but looking at next Saturday’s game with Grimsby, how long do you have to be into the season before a game becomes a “six pointer” or “must win”?

I'm not at all sure making a decision now / next week would leave an incoming manager time to reshape the squad before the end of the window. Whoever it'd be, they'd be in the same position as Robbie was when he joined us last summer, and unless they'd anticipated joining us (e.g. if they'd already been sounded out by the board) and had a list of recruits in mind, the only advantage would be their ability to motivate the current group of players

Two things: first, i think it's incredibly unlikely the board will have sounded out anyone else. Second, the way we're performing, David Brent would be just as useful as a motivator

[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 18:29]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:30 - Aug 6 with 3129 viewsIOMDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:07 - Aug 6 by HullDale

These comments worry me more than owt else I’ve read. When it’s your team, you can tell yourself it’ll improve, that we just need time to gel. Opposition supporters don’t suffer from any such potential rose-tintedness and know a good/bad side when they see one.

For me, Robbie’s got Burton, Grimsby and Stevenage. If things don’t improve, Big Jim should be caretaking against Swindon.

UTDNFS

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:34 - Aug 6 with 3070 views442Dale

Sensing real frustration at the Charman injury he sounds to have got before coming on last week.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:49 - Aug 6 with 2966 viewsboromat

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:34 - Aug 6 by 442Dale

Sensing real frustration at the Charman injury he sounds to have got before coming on last week.

A player coming in tomorrow. I wonder if it'll be the elusive left back or a striker to cover for Charman and Campbell being out injured. I'd hope Tahvon isn't too far away now.

It's been a bad start. I still want to see Robbie get to 10 games and then see how we're looking. And that's not giving Robbie the time but more the squad the time to get it right and put into practice what he's saying. I'm pretty certain that's not happening at the moment.

More than 10 points after 10 games and improved performances showing that we're getting better and I'd be happy. Unfortunately I'm not feeling too confident at the moment in that happening.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:05 - Aug 6 with 2841 views49thseason

L2 is a battleground, you first and foremost have to win the battle if you want the right to play. Its tough, physical, bruising and requires character and mental toughness to go toe to toe with players who have been doing just that most of their careers. You are not equipped for L2 by being the standout technical player at a Premiership Academy . This is professional sport not tippy-tappy, you either compete like your life depends on it or you get eaten whole.

We have now won just 30 Home games since the start of the 17/18 season and 29 away games and lost 97 out of 218 games something has to give. The fans have done their best, its time for these players and coaches to either show up or ship out. Some people have made good careers with a teaspoonful of the ability some of these current lads have but they made up for their shortcomings with heart, attitude and sheer bloody-mindedness and a desire not to be beaten. Losing is habit forming especially if there are no consequences

Keep it simple Robbie stop being the coach who fills their heads with intricate little nuances and start being the bastard who makes people play like champions. Nice guys don't win prizes, you have played enough games to know what really works and its not on a complicated chart or in a complex training routine ..... It's HEART that counts. Choose a simple system, play like Dervishes. Overwhelm the opposition with pace, fight and hard work.
Login to get fewer ads

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:18 - Aug 6 with 2716 viewsRotherhamDale

5 at the back didn't work last season, and it won't this season. No idea why he refuses to change it.

Possession with progression.

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:20 - Aug 6 with 2668 viewsEllDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:18 - Aug 6 by RotherhamDale

5 at the back didn't work last season, and it won't this season. No idea why he refuses to change it.

Are we stuck with formation now though following preseason recruitment?
We’ve got five centre halves on the books.
Could Cole play as an orthodox left back?
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:26 - Aug 6 with 2620 viewsJames1980

Does he want it to be 5 at the back though? Having 3 CB's doesn't necessarily mean playing 5 at the back.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:26 - Aug 6 with 2620 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:05 - Aug 6 by 49thseason

L2 is a battleground, you first and foremost have to win the battle if you want the right to play. Its tough, physical, bruising and requires character and mental toughness to go toe to toe with players who have been doing just that most of their careers. You are not equipped for L2 by being the standout technical player at a Premiership Academy . This is professional sport not tippy-tappy, you either compete like your life depends on it or you get eaten whole.

We have now won just 30 Home games since the start of the 17/18 season and 29 away games and lost 97 out of 218 games something has to give. The fans have done their best, its time for these players and coaches to either show up or ship out. Some people have made good careers with a teaspoonful of the ability some of these current lads have but they made up for their shortcomings with heart, attitude and sheer bloody-mindedness and a desire not to be beaten. Losing is habit forming especially if there are no consequences

Keep it simple Robbie stop being the coach who fills their heads with intricate little nuances and start being the bastard who makes people play like champions. Nice guys don't win prizes, you have played enough games to know what really works and its not on a complicated chart or in a complex training routine ..... It's HEART that counts. Choose a simple system, play like Dervishes. Overwhelm the opposition with pace, fight and hard work.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. It’s not fookin rocket science at this level. Square pegs in square holes, do your jobs, tackle, run, mark up, close down, support your team mate(s) & cut out the stupid mistakes. Show a bit of fight, win your individual battle, stop the cross, look forward not sideways, attack spaces, exploit opposition weaknesses, & play percentages if/when you have to. Leave the PL coaching manuals & theories alone & do the fundamentals right & we’ll be ok.
UTDNFS!!!
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:34 - Aug 6 with 2534 viewsRotherhamDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:20 - Aug 6 by EllDale

Are we stuck with formation now though following preseason recruitment?
We’ve got five centre halves on the books.
Could Cole play as an orthodox left back?

It looks like he's recruited for playing this system which is a massive worry

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:36 - Aug 6 with 2521 viewsnordenblue

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:26 - Aug 6 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Agree wholeheartedly with this. It’s not fookin rocket science at this level. Square pegs in square holes, do your jobs, tackle, run, mark up, close down, support your team mate(s) & cut out the stupid mistakes. Show a bit of fight, win your individual battle, stop the cross, look forward not sideways, attack spaces, exploit opposition weaknesses, & play percentages if/when you have to. Leave the PL coaching manuals & theories alone & do the fundamentals right & we’ll be ok.
UTDNFS!!!

All the newer type managers seem to swallow the bullshit FA coaching manual they all get fed, ultimately how to complicate a very simple game.

Not a RS hater by any stretch but he's cut from the same cloth as BBM and the bullshit he tried to feed us with every week.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:37 - Aug 6 with 2516 viewsRotherhamDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:26 - Aug 6 by James1980

Does he want it to be 5 at the back though? Having 3 CB's doesn't necessarily mean playing 5 at the back.

I would say so. We get dominated so much in midfield that the wing backs end up pinned back. The away form has been pathetic for so long now that it's not even a surprise any more

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:56 - Aug 6 with 2326 views442Dale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:37 - Aug 6 by RotherhamDale

I would say so. We get dominated so much in midfield that the wing backs end up pinned back. The away form has been pathetic for so long now that it's not even a surprise any more

That’s not the case though. The wing-backs aren’t pinned back.

The formation really isn’t the major issue here.

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:07 - Aug 6 with 2251 viewsRotherhamDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:56 - Aug 6 by 442Dale

That’s not the case though. The wing-backs aren’t pinned back.

The formation really isn’t the major issue here.

To be fair, its hard to know whether it is or not because he's never shown us an alternative!

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:20 - Aug 6 with 2164 viewsrich_dale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:05 - Aug 6 by 49thseason

But we have a lot of players now who are experienced at this level and who have the physicality to compete, and no 'tippy tappy' graduates. All the recruiting over the simmer was a clear attempt to fox that. It's too early in the season to draw conclusions but it seems now that the problems now are finding the right formation and potentially whether we have the basic quality required.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:28 - Aug 6 with 2106 viewsJames1980

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 19:37 - Aug 6 by RotherhamDale

Would playing with 2 CB's improve that though? Is it not possible if the WBs played as FBs they'd continue to get hemmed in as well?

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:30 - Aug 6 with 2095 views442Dale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:07 - Aug 6 by RotherhamDale

To be fair, its hard to know whether it is or not because he's never shown us an alternative!

We got a consistent amount of crosses and balls into the box in the first two months or so of last season playing 3-4-3. It was a simple and reasonably effective way of playing. It also can be achieved with a 4-4-2. Or a 3-5-2 - see the goal Henderson scored v Port Vale.

What we are failing to do is produce that effective sort of football, regardless of who we have on the pitch or the positions they’re playing.

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:32 - Aug 6 with 2083 viewsClivert

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:26 - Aug 6 by richfoad32

If we were to pull the plug on Stockdale, who is available as a replacement? Is there anyone in particular people would like to see?

Graham Alexander.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:38 - Aug 6 with 2039 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:30 - Aug 6 by 442Dale

We got a consistent amount of crosses and balls into the box in the first two months or so of last season playing 3-4-3. It was a simple and reasonably effective way of playing. It also can be achieved with a 4-4-2. Or a 3-5-2 - see the goal Henderson scored v Port Vale.

What we are failing to do is produce that effective sort of football, regardless of who we have on the pitch or the positions they’re playing.

The other thing that's notably absent is leadership on the pitch

It was, imo, a huge error to award the captaincy to EEL. I'll stick my neck out and say that if - as was suggested last season - Ball had been made captain, not only would we be seeing more drive through the team but his own performances would be growing to reflect the authority he showed when he first joined us

He looks lost at the minute. From being an admired leader at a winning team with a distinct role he's now been reduced to filling gaps

EEL isn't offering much by way of justifying the captaincy role, and then of course we have Hendo... could well be that EEL feels inhibited with him being his captain during his loan spell here. On the other hand, to change captain now would make RS look foolish

Not a happy situation all round, i'm afraid
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 20:39]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:45 - Aug 6 with 1974 views442Dale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:38 - Aug 6 by D_Alien

It was, imo, a huge error to award the captaincy to EEL. I'll stick my neck out and say that if - as was suggested last season - Ball had been made captain, not only would we be seeing more drive through the team but his own performances would be growing to reflect the authority he showed when he first joined us

He looks lost at the minute. From being an admired leader at a winning team with a distinct role he's now been reduced to filling gaps

EEL isn't offering much by way of justifying the captaincy role, and then of course we have Hendo... could well be that EEL feels inhibited with him being his captain during his loan spell here. On the other hand, to change captain now would make RS look foolish

Ball has to find a role where his limitations aren’t exposed. His passing and awareness is not at the level needed for receiving the ball in his own half/middle of the park. If he plays, it has to be much closer to the forwards and arriving in the box.

A midfield addition is a priority, possibly two if we can look to move Kelly on.

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:47 - Aug 6 with 1942 viewsEllDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 16:53 - Aug 6 by SaxonDale

Thought it last week but Ball clearly looks lost in this system. To me he’d be better off in a front 3 playing a role similar to what Vincenti did for us.

Edit- but then again in a front 3 we still need to fit in Charman, Henderson, Rodney, Campbell, Sinclair, Odoh and any other person he chooses to bring in.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 17:07]

Perhaps I’m confused but when we signed Ball in January I thought that he was a box to midfielder a la Gary Jones when we were crying out for a player who could shield the back four like Peter Cavanagh.
We’ve got the latter type of player now in Diagouraga but I’m not sure what Ball’s role in this new cumbersome team is?
He can’t have become a bad player overnight because those Solihull fans really rated him when he signed for Dale.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:51 - Aug 6 with 1921 viewsJames1980

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 20:38 - Aug 6 by D_Alien

You've made me wonder does Ball feel hard done by and demotivated by being passed over for the captaincy. Was EEL told he was likely to be made captain prior to joining and that helped secure his signature? Also who is the vice captain?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024