Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gillingham (a) Match Thread 18:11 - Aug 4 with 30462 viewsHullDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 16:53 - Aug 6 with 2998 viewsSaxonDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 16:47 - Aug 6 by SuddenLad

Ball has had a mare. Bloody silly foul that led to the goal, can't pass to a Dale player, loses possession, Still on the beach.

Thought it last week but Ball clearly looks lost in this system. To me he’d be better off in a front 3 playing a role similar to what Vincenti did for us.

Edit- but then again in a front 3 we still need to fit in Charman, Henderson, Rodney, Campbell, Sinclair, Odoh and any other person he chooses to bring in.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 17:07]
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 16:57 - Aug 6 with 2878 viewsSuddenLad

FT 1-0.

A point lost. Ill-discipline cost us the point. Poor performance in general, possibly cost us all 3. They weren't particularly good, just did enough to keep us out.

Their keeper was untroubled, apart from a Diagouraga header, we were lethargic.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 16:58 - Aug 6 with 2825 views49thseason

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 16:47 - Aug 6 by SuddenLad

Ball has had a mare. Bloody silly foul that led to the goal, can't pass to a Dale player, loses possession, Still on the beach.

There is a reason he has had such a chequered career , All the attributes , very little reproduction of his potential on the pitch, missed 2 decent opportunities last week . just too hit and miss as a player at this level.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:01 - Aug 6 with 2740 viewskel

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 16:58 - Aug 6 by 49thseason

There is a reason he has had such a chequered career , All the attributes , very little reproduction of his potential on the pitch, missed 2 decent opportunities last week . just too hit and miss as a player at this level.

But he had the BANTZ with the kids on Twitter when he went on his lads holiday so he’s a legend apparently.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:02 - Aug 6 with 2717 views442Dale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 16:53 - Aug 6 by SaxonDale

Thought it last week but Ball clearly looks lost in this system. To me he’d be better off in a front 3 playing a role similar to what Vincenti did for us.

Edit- but then again in a front 3 we still need to fit in Charman, Henderson, Rodney, Campbell, Sinclair, Odoh and any other person he chooses to bring in.

Really not sure where he’s best utilised but his passing and awareness isn’t good enough in a central midfield role.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:02 - Aug 6 with 2714 viewsNigeriamark

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 16:53 - Aug 6 by SaxonDale

finished 1-0. Although it was a better second half, most of that was because they decided to defend the 1-0 lead for the last 20 minutes. Even then we never tested the keeper. 1 decent effort over 90 minutes isn't good enough. One of those games where we could play until midnight & not score. Keeper our MOM. Odoh should have got a red for deliberately swinging at their player but luckily the ref bottled it & gave both players a yellow. Rodney totally anonymous & Hendo's few touches seemed to be coming back to defend
2 very poor games to start the season. Need a performance against Grimsby next week otherwise we will start to feel some pressure. IF RS doesn't sort out defending set pieces it's going to cost him his job
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:05 - Aug 6 with 2664 viewsBarrowdale

Just 4 points off the play offs!
Which will be 7 nxt week as nothing is going to change.
This is insanity on a grand scale. Same old sh ite different day. At least try to win.
The system is ridiculous.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:10 - Aug 6 with 2562 viewsSandyDrum

Robbie Stockdale needs to leave this club immediately.

That was an embarrassment, a 9 hour journey completely wasted.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Login to get fewer ads

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:12 - Aug 6 with 2530 viewsHullDale

Its never a good sign when, after a win, opposition fans are talking more about how bad we were than how they performed.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:15 - Aug 6 with 2487 viewsDaleiLama

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:02 - Aug 6 by Nigeriamark

finished 1-0. Although it was a better second half, most of that was because they decided to defend the 1-0 lead for the last 20 minutes. Even then we never tested the keeper. 1 decent effort over 90 minutes isn't good enough. One of those games where we could play until midnight & not score. Keeper our MOM. Odoh should have got a red for deliberately swinging at their player but luckily the ref bottled it & gave both players a yellow. Rodney totally anonymous & Hendo's few touches seemed to be coming back to defend
2 very poor games to start the season. Need a performance against Grimsby next week otherwise we will start to feel some pressure. IF RS doesn't sort out defending set pieces it's going to cost him his job

How many times are you going to win games with 5 attempts and only one on target?
How can we keep pumping the ball up top to Rodney when he's decent with his feet but very rarely if ever wins aerial battles or can hold onto a ball for long?
How can we concede for fun with 5 defenders?
How can we play with so little desire (Odoh at least played with passion and determination, even if he crossed a line - missed that bit)?
How can any player or manager justify that when they are getting paid for it and the likes of Chaff and his lad Tweeted that he left home in the car at 5.25am and spent a small fortune on gas to go and watch that?

Robbie now starting to look as out of his depth as some of his players. As you say NM, we badly need a reaction to this game now.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 17:17]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:16 - Aug 6 with 2486 viewsSaxonDale

Got to be honest- I don’t think Stockdale is the man for the job. Twelve months in, 2 windows where he’s been able to sign his own players (without restrictions.) I think we are a side that looks lost. Players don’t seem capable or to understand the role he’s asking of them, the football is dour on the whole and I think his recruitment has been fairly scattergun. The worry for me is if we leave it too long we might be stuck with an imbalanced squad- which is what I believe we currently have- and any new manager will struggle to change systems due to personnel. Pains me to say it but Stockdale out.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:23 - Aug 6 with 2377 viewsBarrowdale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:16 - Aug 6 by SaxonDale

Got to be honest- I don’t think Stockdale is the man for the job. Twelve months in, 2 windows where he’s been able to sign his own players (without restrictions.) I think we are a side that looks lost. Players don’t seem capable or to understand the role he’s asking of them, the football is dour on the whole and I think his recruitment has been fairly scattergun. The worry for me is if we leave it too long we might be stuck with an imbalanced squad- which is what I believe we currently have- and any new manager will struggle to change systems due to personnel. Pains me to say it but Stockdale out.

We have the players. Just play 4 4 fking 2 and attack!
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:34 - Aug 6 with 2247 viewsjonahwhereru

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 16:15 - Aug 6 by DaleiLama

You are currently sitting at no. 2 on the all time Dale-related great escapes just behind JT vs. Charlton.

Can I have a nomination for a great escape. Always go to Gillingham, if it’s not p-ssing down. Fortunately this morning I fell down the stairs and hurt my back.
The stats say a lot about this game. At one time we had 39% possession, we had 51% by the finish, but with no meaningful attempts on goal in the last half hour.
The bench looked very light. Not digging out the lad but when Odoh looks the obvious first replacement, it is a concern.
They need to give the supporters something to get behind.
UTDNFS
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:42 - Aug 6 with 2121 viewsdawlishdale

I'm fast reaching the conclusion that the bookies have got it spot on.

Either the players we have are simply not good enough (I'm inclined to conclude that several of them are not up to league football) or the system they are being asked to play isn't working.

Personally; I reckon it's a bit of both. Poorer players than for many a year, and a reluctance to change from a system which doesn't suit. We fill the defence which leaves us short of options in midfield, and the two forwards are not getting good enough service nor are they capable of holding the ball up.

In close season; I recall the Board telling us that the budget would be significantly better than it was last season. Have we spent it all yet? I really hope not, as the first two games are as poor as anything since Barrowball.

Change it up Robbie, or the leeway that you have been afforded by the fans will evaporate quickly.

Feel desperately sorry for those who travelled all that way to witness such an inept showing.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:43 - Aug 6 with 2114 viewskel

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:16 - Aug 6 by SaxonDale

I’m at that point now after taking a bit of stick for trying to defend him last season knowing the job he had on his hands. It’s fine for people to say it’s early days and all that but has anything changed other than players from last season? It’s the same system producing the same (sometimes schoolboy) football and I don’t think he knows how to change it now.

It was always going to be an uphill battle today once the team was announced and I really do feel sorry for the people that went there to support their team and were treated to shite, spineless football yet again.

For some daft reason I’d give him another 8 games to take us to 10 and if it’s still the same then the board have their first major football decision to make.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:51 - Aug 6 with 2037 viewsmikehunt

Let’s face it, even when we are playing well we rarely get anything down there. I did think that, if we are to do anything special this year we would at least get a point there.
Looks like we are in for a struggle. Next two games will give us a clue.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:52 - Aug 6 with 2023 viewsJames1980

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:43 - Aug 6 by kel

I’m at that point now after taking a bit of stick for trying to defend him last season knowing the job he had on his hands. It’s fine for people to say it’s early days and all that but has anything changed other than players from last season? It’s the same system producing the same (sometimes schoolboy) football and I don’t think he knows how to change it now.

It was always going to be an uphill battle today once the team was announced and I really do feel sorry for the people that went there to support their team and were treated to shite, spineless football yet again.

For some daft reason I’d give him another 8 games to take us to 10 and if it’s still the same then the board have their first major football decision to make.

Last season weren't we at least creating chances, well according to xG stats anyway.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:55 - Aug 6 with 2002 viewsrich_dale

Comfortable game for the opposition, and a mirror of Crawley and Stevenage away games towards the end of last season. No attacking threat and vulnerable from crosses. We've gained more height and (in theory) physicality from last season but it's not changed anything, in fact looks like we've lost some mobility, pace and sharpness. Dooley had his critics but at least could receive the ball and turn and keep things ticking.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:01 - Aug 6 with 1926 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:43 - Aug 6 by kel

Agree with that

If nothing changes, it's far too long till December to make a decision. Right now, the end of August seems a long way off. I'll be away for next week's game against Grimsby but if there's nothing turning around by the Crawley fixture that's when my previous loyalty to RS will be changing

To sum up, if he can't change it, we will

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:01 - Aug 6 with 1929 views442Dale

Identity. It’s a modern football term that really shouldn’t be used but it’s appropriate here. Last season we quickly found one in the first couple of months - that xG nonsense being chucked about, but it reflected we’d managed to create an impression that got half decent results.

We lost that, struggled to get it back, now with a squad that’s changed significantly that side of things in terms of what sort of team we are is still worryingly absent. Yes it takes time to gel (sh/te phrase no.37), but there appears to be an absence of knowledge as to what Rochdale are.

Formations can be discussed forever, we’ve now more bodies in midfield, one of whom can obviously sit in. We have wing-backs who can play high enough up to ensure we aren’t defensive and five at the back. We encourage the wide centre backs (John especially) to add to attacks. We have two strikers to ensure the isolation experienced by Campbell last season isn’t an issue. That puts formations to bed as a problem, that needs to be understood and accepted.

You can change formation to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, it’ll make no difference unless it visibly changes what we are. Because we don’t seem to know that is where the biggest concerns are.

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:03 - Aug 6 with 1911 viewsHullDale

My concern at this point is we are seeing the same 'style', lack of urgency and same mistakes as we did from Octoberish onwards last year - with a virtually brand new starting line up.... it has to be coming from the coaching / management / tactics.

Stockdale didn't get off lightly with questions on Thursday, but the format of the evening didn't allow for more detailed questions to be asked as a follow on to his answers. He looked genuinely peed off at a couple of the questions, and his answers raised more questions than answers (particularly around zonal marking, style of play and tactics). I don't think he looks like he is particularly enjoying himself, and I found it weird that he left after the first part of the forum.

I'll admit I flip flopped last season between thinking he could be good, giving him the benefit of the doubt and wanting him to go... I've hit a point of no return with him now I think, and I think the board have a decision to make almost immediately. Giving it more games could see us adrift early, the atmosphere turn toxic and see us in a position that would be very difficult to recover from.

A lack of footballing identity, passion, willingness to change, desire to win and general mojo is worrying... we're just not fun to watch and I can't say I look forward to games at the minute.

Nice bloke, yes. Good coach, yes. I just think we're discovering he might not be manager material.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:07 - Aug 6 with 1851 views442Dale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:03 - Aug 6 by HullDale

My concern at this point is we are seeing the same 'style', lack of urgency and same mistakes as we did from Octoberish onwards last year - with a virtually brand new starting line up.... it has to be coming from the coaching / management / tactics.

Stockdale didn't get off lightly with questions on Thursday, but the format of the evening didn't allow for more detailed questions to be asked as a follow on to his answers. He looked genuinely peed off at a couple of the questions, and his answers raised more questions than answers (particularly around zonal marking, style of play and tactics). I don't think he looks like he is particularly enjoying himself, and I found it weird that he left after the first part of the forum.

I'll admit I flip flopped last season between thinking he could be good, giving him the benefit of the doubt and wanting him to go... I've hit a point of no return with him now I think, and I think the board have a decision to make almost immediately. Giving it more games could see us adrift early, the atmosphere turn toxic and see us in a position that would be very difficult to recover from.

A lack of footballing identity, passion, willingness to change, desire to win and general mojo is worrying... we're just not fun to watch and I can't say I look forward to games at the minute.

Nice bloke, yes. Good coach, yes. I just think we're discovering he might not be manager material.

Mentioned elsewhere, but the structure of the evening meant he may as well have left after the first half. Could be wrong, but it was the same at the last forum too.

Agree with a lot of the rest. He needs to do something quickly to change up what we are. Create an immediate visible change.

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:07 - Aug 6 with 1849 viewsHullDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 17:12 - Aug 6 by HullDale

Its never a good sign when, after a win, opposition fans are talking more about how bad we were than how they performed.

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:08 - Aug 6 with 1842 viewsrich_dale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:01 - Aug 6 by 442Dale

Identity. It’s a modern football term that really shouldn’t be used but it’s appropriate here. Last season we quickly found one in the first couple of months - that xG nonsense being chucked about, but it reflected we’d managed to create an impression that got half decent results.

We lost that, struggled to get it back, now with a squad that’s changed significantly that side of things in terms of what sort of team we are is still worryingly absent. Yes it takes time to gel (sh/te phrase no.37), but there appears to be an absence of knowledge as to what Rochdale are.

Formations can be discussed forever, we’ve now more bodies in midfield, one of whom can obviously sit in. We have wing-backs who can play high enough up to ensure we aren’t defensive and five at the back. We encourage the wide centre backs (John especially) to add to attacks. We have two strikers to ensure the isolation experienced by Campbell last season isn’t an issue. That puts formations to bed as a problem, that needs to be understood and accepted.

You can change formation to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, it’ll make no difference unless it visibly changes what we are. Because we don’t seem to know that is where the biggest concerns are.

Yes totally. It doesn't look like we have a plan to affect a game apart from just playing 90 mins and seeing what happens. Signing Hendo again feels positive as he's a finisher but how are we using him, he hardly had a touch and can't remember seeing him in their box. Some gelling still to be done with s few new players joining but we looked far from a team today.
Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:09 - Aug 6 with 1826 viewsHullDale

Gillingham (a) Match Thread on 18:07 - Aug 6 by 442Dale

Mentioned elsewhere, but the structure of the evening meant he may as well have left after the first half. Could be wrong, but it was the same at the last forum too.

Agree with a lot of the rest. He needs to do something quickly to change up what we are. Create an immediate visible change.

Agree on the structure of the evening, and he may not have had anything left to say, but it (in my
opinion) would've shown commitment / that he cares - its a perception thing, especially when on the pitch is so poor.

By the same token, I wouldn't have expected Simon G to just rock up for the second half.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024