Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simon Gauge interview 09:30 - Apr 25 with 8170 viewsCedar_Room

Haven’t seen the full clip but genuinely cannot believe what I’m hearing here.
If he’s telling us this is the best he could have done, that he has no regrets and is satisfied he tried everything possible IN A SEASON WE GOT RELEGATED FROM THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE then how is this not the preamble to saying ‘and therefore I have realised I do not have the necessary skills required for this job and resign from my post’.

How the hell is this acceptable?
Simon Gauge interview on 10:20 - Apr 25 with 6405 viewsDaleiLama

He's copping for plenty of grief on Twitter too.

Everybody is still very raw as Chaff pointed out, but Simon seems to be on a trajectory that's moving away from most of the fan-base, not towards it. Not good.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Simon Gauge interview on 10:29 - Apr 25 with 6361 views49thseason

Did you expect him to put his boots on? I honestly dont know why anyone would contemplate engaging with Radio Bolton in the first instance but for fans to go on there putting the boot into the BoD defies belief.
This relegation has been 6 years in the making at least. We have sold the family silver to stay afloat, but its an impossible task to put a competitive team on the pitch when you have crowds of 3000 and you are losing £1.5m a year. You sell players the squad suffers, the results decline. There is no mischief in this its just a fact. The major problem was Bottomley....New pitches every year, electronic turnstiles, ending Gold Bond, secret contract extensions for co-conspiritors. But not a single serious attempt to create more money. He ruined the club its as simple as that, and even he realised we needed investment. The only criticism you can level at the board is that they simply dont have the sort of money needed to stop and reverse the decline.
Its easy to blame the board but what could they have done? Sack Bentley and you still have to pay his contract..did they even have the money to do that? Its not a shortage of skills, its a shortage of cash! You can't run a raffle without cash!
The club could only compete if someone put in £2m a year...they didnt. The fans did their best on a one-off basis but can't do it year in year out and buy season tickets.
Sheer common sense says we need an investor with very deep pockets... and we as supporters have to meet him half way by doing everything we can to spend another pound and make a pound.
The blame game will get us nowhere, its time to roll our sleeves up and do what we can, just as our fathers and grandfathers did when they ran the Fighting Fund.
Simon Gauge interview on 11:17 - Apr 25 with 6172 viewsCedar_Room

Simon Gauge interview on 10:29 - Apr 25 by 49thseason

Did you expect him to put his boots on? I honestly dont know why anyone would contemplate engaging with Radio Bolton in the first instance but for fans to go on there putting the boot into the BoD defies belief.
This relegation has been 6 years in the making at least. We have sold the family silver to stay afloat, but its an impossible task to put a competitive team on the pitch when you have crowds of 3000 and you are losing £1.5m a year. You sell players the squad suffers, the results decline. There is no mischief in this its just a fact. The major problem was Bottomley....New pitches every year, electronic turnstiles, ending Gold Bond, secret contract extensions for co-conspiritors. But not a single serious attempt to create more money. He ruined the club its as simple as that, and even he realised we needed investment. The only criticism you can level at the board is that they simply dont have the sort of money needed to stop and reverse the decline.
Its easy to blame the board but what could they have done? Sack Bentley and you still have to pay his contract..did they even have the money to do that? Its not a shortage of skills, its a shortage of cash! You can't run a raffle without cash!
The club could only compete if someone put in £2m a year...they didnt. The fans did their best on a one-off basis but can't do it year in year out and buy season tickets.
Sheer common sense says we need an investor with very deep pockets... and we as supporters have to meet him half way by doing everything we can to spend another pound and make a pound.
The blame game will get us nowhere, its time to roll our sleeves up and do what we can, just as our fathers and grandfathers did when they ran the Fighting Fund.

You are somewhat missing the point. This is about self reflection from the Chariman after the most disastrous season in the clubs history. We all understand we are working under constraints but if he’s essentially saying there’s nothing more he could have done, he wouldn’t have done anything different he’s basically saying this is all he’s capable of. I don’t think he or anyone else can say this season came about despite doing everything possible. I don’t accept that at all. Especially after a season like this he should be reflecting on what went wrong and assessing what to do differently next year. But according to him there isn’t anything to be done differently because he did everything he could. Do you believe that? I don’t. But if that is what he thinks and it really is true he tried everything he could think of then that says he doesn’t have the skills for the job. How can you not see that?
Simon Gauge interview on 11:21 - Apr 25 with 6157 viewssxdale

Excellent post, couldn't agree more.
Simon Gauge interview on 11:54 - Apr 25 with 5999 viewsNigelWatson

It's unacceptable.
Simon Gauge interview on 12:08 - Apr 25 with 5926 viewsRespectTheChemistry

Despite the various factors you refer to, we have had a playing budget this season that is "in the top half of the division" (I have been told this by a very reliable source who was told directly by Simon Gauge). Allowing Stockdale to waste that budget on the shower of a squad he assembled was a fatal mistake and Simon has to take responsibility for that.

I completely agree we now need to look forward and rebuild as a club. But part of that is Simon stepping aside as Chairman because I am afraid he is simply not up to it.

I believe what Simon and his co-directors did to stop the Morton House takeover attempt and deal with its aftermath ranks in importance with anything that has been done in the history of the club. But overseeing our relegation from the League has been a catastrophic failure of stewardship.

[I highly commend your efforts in suggesting ways of raising funds to augment possible investment to make us more competitive.]
Simon Gauge interview on 12:19 - Apr 25 with 5860 viewsTrev

Firstly, the personal abuse under that Twitter post is nothing short of disgraceful.

I have zero doubts that SG has acted with good intentions throughout his tenure and that he will be hurting right now. Sadly, I think the bod's inexperience has shown and will continue to do so.

I am very concerned about next season.
Simon Gauge interview on 12:19 - Apr 25 with 5858 viewsjonahwhereru

Simon Gauge interview on 11:17 - Apr 25 by Cedar_Room

You are somewhat missing the point. This is about self reflection from the Chariman after the most disastrous season in the clubs history. We all understand we are working under constraints but if he’s essentially saying there’s nothing more he could have done, he wouldn’t have done anything different he’s basically saying this is all he’s capable of. I don’t think he or anyone else can say this season came about despite doing everything possible. I don’t accept that at all. Especially after a season like this he should be reflecting on what went wrong and assessing what to do differently next year. But according to him there isn’t anything to be done differently because he did everything he could. Do you believe that? I don’t. But if that is what he thinks and it really is true he tried everything he could think of then that says he doesn’t have the skills for the job. How can you not see that?

I have no issue with someone understanding their own limitations. That is how I see this. In his own mind he has done all he is capable of doing. I don’t think anyone saw a ex pilot becoming Chair at a tumultuous time in the club’s history as a good fit. I simply can’t see that he was the person banging the table to become Chairman when the new board was hastily cobbled together. Basically he ended up in the role. I sense that he would like to walk away, but he understands that right now that will only bring further turmoil. Can imagine the conversation “Jamie, Richard do either of you fancy taking over”. I know what my response would be.
His resignation would only placate those who are baying for blood. When a dedicated and willing replacement can be found I hope he takes the opportunity to bow out. If and when that happens I will be thankful to him and his fellow directors for stepping into the breach at such a difficult.
Login to get fewer ads

Simon Gauge interview on 12:20 - Apr 25 with 5847 viewsD_Alien

Simon Gauge interview on 12:08 - Apr 25 by RespectTheChemistry

Despite the various factors you refer to, we have had a playing budget this season that is "in the top half of the division" (I have been told this by a very reliable source who was told directly by Simon Gauge). Allowing Stockdale to waste that budget on the shower of a squad he assembled was a fatal mistake and Simon has to take responsibility for that.

I completely agree we now need to look forward and rebuild as a club. But part of that is Simon stepping aside as Chairman because I am afraid he is simply not up to it.

I believe what Simon and his co-directors did to stop the Morton House takeover attempt and deal with its aftermath ranks in importance with anything that has been done in the history of the club. But overseeing our relegation from the League has been a catastrophic failure of stewardship.

[I highly commend your efforts in suggesting ways of raising funds to augment possible investment to make us more competitive.]

It saddens me to say so, but that pretty well sums up where i'm at, especially since events unfolding since the final whistle at Stockport

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Simon Gauge interview on 12:25 - Apr 25 with 5826 viewssamueloneils

Why the blame game? So many things went wrong from Bottomley onwards. What does it achieve except to get it off your chest?

No one thing made the difference.

49th Season absolutely right. The next few 14 or 15 weeks are probably the most important in the Dale`s history even though I`l never f orget 1980 and Altrincham. We could easily have gone the way of Workington and Bradford PA then.

We still have a ground and a club.

In these coming weeks the management of the club have to sort out the following.

1. Who is the management going to be!!

2. How to slim down the playing staff. So far as I`m aware we still have 29 full-time players on our books. Ridiculously high and expensive. Even after you take out all the loanees and even if you went a stage further and took out all the players with contracts ending in June, you still have 10 players left by my reckoning. Some of these would probably not be in most fans` squad and these will have to be negotiated with.

3. What finances are available, and therefore set a budget for the coming season- whoever is in charge.

Now its very easy to say "Sack the Board! They`re to blame They`re not making the right noises. Thet`re not talking to the fans."

But someone has to take responsibility for the actions above. And ruddy quick too.

This is what matters right now. Recriminations later.
Simon Gauge interview on 12:26 - Apr 25 with 5798 views49thseason

What more could he have done? THERE IS NO MONEY! The club is losing £30k a week! They have sold everything and everybody worth selling. What else can they do? This has been going on for years, the club has never had the sort of money needed to be successful.
Without cash there are no options, the fact we haven't gone bust and into administration is a minor miracle. The players we have are what we can afford, its not their fault they just aren't good enough. Without an influx of funds the board are hamstrung so they look for someone daft enough to put a couple of million a year into the club.. I dont suppose you have a spare £2m a year lying about? No? Me neither... nor I suspect does anyone else in Rochdale. So we have to do our best as supporters.. we may never get back into the EFL but we have to do the best we can.
Simon Gauge interview on 12:38 - Apr 25 with 5731 viewselectricblue

I managed to hear the 1minute clip.
Where SG says he put some of his own money into the in January to bri g players in.
Did SG buy shares to do that!

He did what he could to keep the club up, ok he tried and failed it happens.

We owe SG and the board a huge thanks for saving the club from MH at a huge cost to themselves lets not forget that but the situation is a different now and do the BoD get the chance to change that or is it time for experience in moving the club forward.
Lets face it running a football club is not a business where you will see any profits if you are an investor unless you are of the nature of asset stripping like what happend recent not 6miles down the road..

Remember we owe these guys a debt of gratitude in stepping forward and saving the club from an hostile take over so lets try and move forward come together as one....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Simon Gauge interview on 13:02 - Apr 25 with 5577 viewskel

Rather bizarrely, one of the comments in the replies on Twitter was that he’s a southerner. Not sure what that has to do with anything.Then I realised it was the bloke who is anti-scouse, or frankly anti-anyone that isn’t like him.

Odd.
Simon Gauge interview on 13:05 - Apr 25 with 5552 viewsD_Alien

Simon Gauge interview on 12:26 - Apr 25 by 49thseason

What more could he have done? THERE IS NO MONEY! The club is losing £30k a week! They have sold everything and everybody worth selling. What else can they do? This has been going on for years, the club has never had the sort of money needed to be successful.
Without cash there are no options, the fact we haven't gone bust and into administration is a minor miracle. The players we have are what we can afford, its not their fault they just aren't good enough. Without an influx of funds the board are hamstrung so they look for someone daft enough to put a couple of million a year into the club.. I dont suppose you have a spare £2m a year lying about? No? Me neither... nor I suspect does anyone else in Rochdale. So we have to do our best as supporters.. we may never get back into the EFL but we have to do the best we can.

I've no idea where CD lives, but neither does that matter, since he's Rochdale through and through

You say that potential investors should be met half way. I couldn't agree more...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Simon Gauge interview on 14:19 - Apr 25 with 5282 viewsTomRAFC

I think communication from people inside and outside of the club has been rather tone deaf. From Simon here, from Dunphy on Facebook, and especially from our own fans. They're all people who should have far more respect and far more self-respect.

Theoretically, it shouldn't take a whole lot to set us back on a sensible course. Emphasis on sensible rather than ideal.

- The board need heavy involvement from someone who knows how to run the non-footballing side of a club.
- MRKT are reporting back on footballing operations, hopefully this will be money well spent.
- A managerial appointment which makes sense (e.g. Micky Mellon). Not saying he'd definitely want it, but the sort of appointment that can't be said to be a poor choice in hindsight, if it doesn't work out.
- For the thread of ideas from 49thseason and others to be treated as absolute goldmine.

None of this resolves the missing £2 Millon a season, or resolves investment issues (Dunphy / multi-club model / full control takeover or otherwise). It's a steady ship. A ship that moves away from the heartbreaking self-destruct button that people from all sides have been smashing at, like a bunch of sexually frustrated red-bellied lemurs.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 14:30]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Simon Gauge interview on 14:36 - Apr 25 with 5208 viewsDalenet

All of what you say is true. But what you want your leaders to do is work on mitigants. There is no real evidence they tried anything new. You of all people know the ideas that are generated to drive income and fans. You start many of the threads. Yet so much of what is shared is ignored. Remember Team Rochdale and the noise created around the town. We have seen none of that this season - no attempt to drive support or income from paying fans. Its as though it is too hard. Maybe it is. But for a Chairman who told us that the Board had looked forensically at costs and revenues in summer 2022 it seems strange to me that nothing has been done to address our income or support beyond trying to sell some shares. I genuinely think they hoped to find the investor more quickly than they have so that the elephant in the room walks away. It hasn't.

I can't understand the hostility to the Chairman after what he has done to save us. Just surprised that he thinks there is nothing more to be done. Bring the curtain down now then!
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 14:40]
Simon Gauge interview on 18:13 - Apr 25 with 4788 viewsDale_flow

I think some honest comments made. However, I remember the saying " you can only play the card's your dealt". SG was dealt an awful hand and we know who by. The reality is that this is not the end of the world, Morton House would have been. So SG and others saved us from that, full respect. I never saw anyone else willing to jump into the fire or with any greater means to, so that is just the reality. The best we had couldn't save us from the drop but there was no other option available at the time. I am grateful to SG for giving his best and achieving the most important goal of saving the club, if someone else can come in to now get the cub back to the league then great. If not we play the card's we've got and move on. I personally don't believe picking back over decisions made to beat people with is fair unless you think they were deliberate acts and surly nobody believes that!
Simon Gauge interview on 18:17 - Apr 25 with 4775 viewsNorthernDale

Simon Gauge interview on 10:20 - Apr 25 by DaleiLama

He's copping for plenty of grief on Twitter too.

Everybody is still very raw as Chaff pointed out, but Simon seems to be on a trajectory that's moving away from most of the fan-base, not towards it. Not good.

If it was not for Simon and the present board, we may have not had a team to support, so any person giving him abuse are a disgrace, perhaps they would have preferred the shysters in charge and using us the club as a cash cow, until it went belly up. Yes, Simon as made mistakes in the running of the Club, but Chris also made mistakes running the club, it is part of human nature.

I hope Chris and Simon can work together to take the club forward, but it is important that the Dunphy, Simon and the present board, and the supporters can come together as a team over the summer and coming season, but sadly there are some people who cannot help themselves, but please stop.
Simon Gauge interview on 19:23 - Apr 25 with 4612 viewsShun

Simon Gauge interview on 12:26 - Apr 25 by 49thseason

‘What more could he have done?’

Off the top of my head, a couple of things.

Firstly, sacking Bentley earlier. He pulled the trigger eventually, so must’ve agreed he wasn’t good enough. Why wait till it’s patently too late? McNulty’s made mistakes but his points record is fairly impressive.

Secondly, vetoing the Brierley trial. I have no idea if this was implemented by Bentley, the board or both. But to lose our brightest talent for over a month of the season, on trial, is not only bizarre but negligent. Especially as he was in good form before he disappeared.

Change either of those two things and I’d wager we would’ve stood a much greater chance of being a FL side next season.
Simon Gauge interview on 19:35 - Apr 25 with 4565 viewsDale_flow

Simon Gauge interview on 19:23 - Apr 25 by Shun

Firstly, sacking Bentley earlier. He pulled the trigger eventually, so must’ve agreed he wasn’t good enough. Why wait till it’s patently too late? McNulty’s made mistakes but his points record is fairly impressive.

Secondly, vetoing the Brierley trial. I have no idea if this was implemented by Bentley, the board or both. But to lose our brightest talent for over a month of the season, on trial, is not only bizarre but negligent. Especially as he was in good form before he disappeared.

Change either of those two things and I’d wager we would’ve stood a much greater chance of being a FL side next season.

This looks like the blame game I refer to above. How does it help?
Simon Gauge interview on 19:38 - Apr 25 with 4554 views49thseason

A couple of fair points Shun, but did they have any greater faith in McNulty improving matters or the cash to pay off Bentley at the time? We may never know. Equally if the Sheffield deal was bringing in enough money to get a new manager in and was thwarted by the transfer ban maybe they would have paid Bentley off and brought someone else in. We will probably never know that either, but somewhere along the line this club got thumped by the bad luck stick because we certainly don't get any good luck. "If something can go wrong it probably will" should be on our badge! "Si aliquid potest errare eam probabiliter volunt"
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 20:27]
Simon Gauge interview on 19:49 - Apr 25 with 4516 viewsJames1980

Vetoing Brierley's trial at Sheff Wed wouldn't have been a great advert for our academy/youth system. It might have looked like holding back a player's career development

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Simon Gauge interview on 19:59 - Apr 25 with 4478 viewsNewbury_Dale

I don't know Simon personally but the conclusion I reached about him and his fellow directors is that they are just well out of their depth when it comes to running a professional football club. The key footballing decisions have been a disaster. The hiring of a Consultancy after nearly two seasons is their final acknowledgement of that fact. The right thing to do now is step aside, and it looks like they're doing that. The Twitter abuse, which has been going on all season (either aimed at SG or the club in general) from the Overcoaters and their associates, is totally unnecessary.
Simon Gauge interview (n/t) on 21:04 - Apr 25 with 4249 viewsbluevein64

Simon Gauge interview (n/t) on 21:29 - Apr 25 with 4155 viewsDale_flow

Simon Gauge interview (n/t) on 21:04 - Apr 25 by bluevein64

He made the best decisions he could at the time, regardless of success or failure he tried to make the best decisions he could for the club. What more do you expect? Climb our of your time machine, stick your 100k in and have a go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024