Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kelly Departs.. 16:07 - Jun 22 with 5537 viewsdale1968

Rejected our offer and moved to Crawley Town...

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Kelly Departs.. on 16:35 - Jun 22 with 4232 viewsYadHoDale

Can't blame him for wanting to stay in the EFL, but I'm not sure that Crawley is the most stable club to go to.

Did have some decent moments for Dale, and always seemed to be at least trying, unlike some of the others. If he'd played for us a couple of years ago alongside better players (Morley/Lund/Camps/MJ Williams) he could have got a move up the leagues, like Olly Rathbone did.

Hope he does well in the future...
Kelly Departs.. on 17:03 - Jun 22 with 4112 viewsDaleFan7

Not the biggest loss, he had 1 good game every 10. Went missing in games far too much.
Kelly Departs.. on 17:07 - Jun 22 with 4089 viewsnordenblue

Kelly Departs.. on 16:35 - Jun 22 by YadHoDale

Can't blame him for wanting to stay in the EFL, but I'm not sure that Crawley is the most stable club to go to.

Did have some decent moments for Dale, and always seemed to be at least trying, unlike some of the others. If he'd played for us a couple of years ago alongside better players (Morley/Lund/Camps/MJ Williams) he could have got a move up the leagues, like Olly Rathbone did.

Hope he does well in the future...

Doubt he'll be too bothered about it being "stable" he'll still be banking a decent salary so what's not to like.....
Kelly Departs.. on 17:17 - Jun 22 with 4045 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Kelly Departs.. on 17:03 - Jun 22 by DaleFan7

Not the biggest loss, he had 1 good game every 10. Went missing in games far too much.

Indeed, now let's get a player in, who might just have consistently good games unlike Kelly.

Perhaps a "big lump" of a player (like Evil?) who can't go missing.

Cheerio wee fella.
Kelly Departs.. on 17:31 - Jun 22 with 3970 viewsD_Alien

Kelly departs?

He never really arrived

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Kelly Departs.. on 17:53 - Jun 22 with 3881 viewselectricblue

That is another wage saved and added to the budget....

Speaking about players leaving it as gone quiet about Odoh leaving as I thought he would have been next..

Lloyd maybe the next.....

Im hoping that Graham and Ball stay as they NL experience which the squad need...

If EEL leaves as well as Campbell that depletes the squad somewhat.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Kelly Departs.. on 18:03 - Jun 22 with 3837 viewsNorthernDale

Odoh is an interesting point, I have also said, he has all the skills, but is missing something to make him a complete league 1 player and even possibly a lower championship player.

I have to agree that if we can hold onto Graham and Ball, who would both do well at NL level then that would help the squad, but what worries me is that Graham has not signed a new contract. In respect to EEL, I can image that he will be here next season, along with Cameron John. Again I will be surprised if Keohane does not sign a new contract, but you never know.

Campbell is another question, he has all the experience of the NL, but is he happy up north and would he prefer a London based club, as a squad player, he would be useful next season.
Kelly Departs.. on 18:12 - Jun 22 with 3800 viewskel

Why the sudden hope of Ball staying?

Has he had a personality transplant over the break?
Login to get fewer ads

Kelly Departs.. on 18:33 - Jun 22 with 3715 viewsSuddenLad

Kelly Departs.. on 17:53 - Jun 22 by electricblue

That is another wage saved and added to the budget....

Speaking about players leaving it as gone quiet about Odoh leaving as I thought he would have been next..

Lloyd maybe the next.....

Im hoping that Graham and Ball stay as they NL experience which the squad need...

If EEL leaves as well as Campbell that depletes the squad somewhat.....

You won't see Lloyd again in a Dale shirt.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Kelly Departs.. on 18:35 - Jun 22 with 3708 viewsNewbury_Dale

Liam Kelly will go down as one of Stockdale's poorest signings. Plenty to chose from.
Kelly Departs.. on 18:45 - Jun 22 with 3688 viewsjonahwhereru

Unlike most on this site I liked Kelly. He could get us moving forward and linked up play nicely. He did also have an horrendous pass in him, and we often saw one in a game.
He has moved closure to his old manor and will likely be more appreciated at Crawley than he was here.
Thanks Liam.
Kelly Departs.. on 18:46 - Jun 22 with 3684 viewsNorthernDale

Kelly Departs.. on 18:12 - Jun 22 by kel

Why the sudden hope of Ball staying?

Has he had a personality transplant over the break?

When he first signed for us, he started off played well and was a threat in front of goal, yesterday last season, he was poor, but the question is why? Was it the system we played or were their other reasons. But considering how thin our squad is, he could play a part next season.
Kelly Departs.. on 18:54 - Jun 22 with 3656 viewskel

Kelly Departs.. on 18:46 - Jun 22 by NorthernDale

When he first signed for us, he started off played well and was a threat in front of goal, yesterday last season, he was poor, but the question is why? Was it the system we played or were their other reasons. But considering how thin our squad is, he could play a part next season.

My guess is that the bloke is a bit of a bellend who thinks he’s better than he is and therefore just strolls through games. I’d carry him on my back whilst crawling over broken glass to any club that would take him off our hands.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 18:55]
Kelly Departs.. on 19:11 - Jun 22 with 3586 viewsNorthernDale

Chesterfield have signed Will Grigg from MK Dons and Tom Naylor from Wigan, both good players at league 2 level, never mind at NL level.
Kelly Departs.. on 19:49 - Jun 22 with 3460 views49thseason

Kelly Departs.. on 19:11 - Jun 22 by NorthernDale

Chesterfield have signed Will Grigg from MK Dons and Tom Naylor from Wigan, both good players at league 2 level, never mind at NL level.

So obviously money talks even at this level.
Kelly Departs.. on 22:38 - Jun 22 with 3179 viewsDaleFan7

Kelly Departs.. on 19:11 - Jun 22 by NorthernDale

Maybe a drop down to this level will revitalise him but Grigg has scored 33 goals in the last 5 seasons.

Admittedly he's been playing in league one mainly so 2 levels higher but he doesn't seem the 20+ goalscorer he was.
Kelly Departs.. on 23:19 - Jun 22 with 3114 views49thseason

Kelly Departs.. on 22:38 - Jun 22 by DaleFan7

Maybe a drop down to this level will revitalise him but Grigg has scored 33 goals in the last 5 seasons.

Admittedly he's been playing in league one mainly so 2 levels higher but he doesn't seem the 20+ goalscorer he was.

The biggest problem with Kelly was that he is a foot too short. As the old adage goes, "nowt beats a good little un except a good big un". Undoubtedly skillful enough, but just didnt have the physical presence L2 demands and the NL demands even more. When you come up against big teams, you have to win the ball if you want to play football with it instead of headball, therein is the problem for the coming season.
Kelly Departs.. on 05:44 - Jun 23 with 2979 viewsD_Alien

Kelly Departs.. on 23:19 - Jun 22 by 49thseason

The biggest problem with Kelly was that he is a foot too short. As the old adage goes, "nowt beats a good little un except a good big un". Undoubtedly skillful enough, but just didnt have the physical presence L2 demands and the NL demands even more. When you come up against big teams, you have to win the ball if you want to play football with it instead of headball, therein is the problem for the coming season.

You may remember Bobby Collins, an equally diminutive midfielder who nevertheless formed a formidable partnership alongside Billy Bremner (himself no giant) in the 1960s Leeds side - both of them as tough as nails

That was Kelly's problem. He lacked any presence or professional 'nous' as his liability in his own box showed. He'd have been buried in the NL and it's a lack of that kind if judgement in offering him further terms that concerns me

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Kelly Departs.. on 08:00 - Jun 23 with 2872 viewsEllDale

To my mind that was one of our biggest problems over the last couple of seasons - a definite lack of physicality.
Kelly, Odoh, Newby, Cashman all vying for places with the result that we barely won a second ball.
Even Ethan isn’t the biggest although he’s time to fill out.
Ball and Toums were acquired but neither pulled up any trees.
Kelly Departs.. on 09:13 - Jun 23 with 2790 views49thseason

Kelly Departs.. on 05:44 - Jun 23 by D_Alien

You may remember Bobby Collins, an equally diminutive midfielder who nevertheless formed a formidable partnership alongside Billy Bremner (himself no giant) in the 1960s Leeds side - both of them as tough as nails

That was Kelly's problem. He lacked any presence or professional 'nous' as his liability in his own box showed. He'd have been buried in the NL and it's a lack of that kind if judgement in offering him further terms that concerns me

I saw Collins a few times when he was at bury, he was as wide as he was tall, but was brilliant at breaking up the opposition play just like Bremner bu probably better at using it. Those lads knew how to tackle and use their low centre of gravity to maximum effect, they were absolute yard dogs. Modern footballers seem to lack the aggression that Collins and his ilk had. Probably something to do with referees and rhe Academy system that seems to encourage tippy tappy football, certainly broken legs seem to be a thing of the past... probably a good thing for the players but not as exciting for fans when players don't "get stuck in" anymore.
Kelly Departs.. on 09:16 - Jun 23 with 2783 viewssamueloneils

Kelly Departs.. on 23:19 - Jun 22 by 49thseason

Great shame about Kelly. We do not often get hold of a class footballer with 52 starts in the Championship at an early age. But he was too lightweight for Div 1 and 2 football and would have really struggled in the new league.

Always tried hard though and never "hid" on the pitch like some others.
Kelly Departs.. on 09:20 - Jun 23 with 2754 viewssamueloneils

Kelly Departs.. on 09:13 - Jun 23 by 49thseason

I saw Collins a few times when he was at bury, he was as wide as he was tall, but was brilliant at breaking up the opposition play just like Bremner bu probably better at using it. Those lads knew how to tackle and use their low centre of gravity to maximum effect, they were absolute yard dogs. Modern footballers seem to lack the aggression that Collins and his ilk had. Probably something to do with referees and rhe Academy system that seems to encourage tippy tappy football, certainly broken legs seem to be a thing of the past... probably a good thing for the players but not as exciting for fans when players don't "get stuck in" anymore.

Booby Collins may have been small, but he was built like a tank- very stocky, particularly when he arrived at at Oldham. No similarity to Kelly. But all the skills in the world.
Kelly Departs.. on 10:41 - Jun 23 with 2609 viewsramsdale

Kelly Departs.. on 09:16 - Jun 23 by samueloneils

Great shame about Kelly. We do not often get hold of a class footballer with 52 starts in the Championship at an early age. But he was too lightweight for Div 1 and 2 football and would have really struggled in the new league.

Always tried hard though and never "hid" on the pitch like some others.

"Always tried hard though and never "hid" on the pitch like some others."

The lad has a good amount of technical ability for League 2, but to say he always tried hard is insane. The sheer amount of challenges he pulled out of when we were fighting for our football league status is unforgivable, so jot that down for starters.

Couldn't run a game from midfield like a 19 year old Brierley did after his re-introduction, nor could he grab the game by the scruff of the neck like Lloyd.

If there's one thing he didn't do it was try hard.
Kelly Departs.. on 14:04 - Jun 23 with 2343 viewsChaffRAFC

I think Kelly will always be one who splits opinion.

I don't think there's any doubt he's got ability personally, no doubt some will disagree, in fact I know some who do. But ability gets you so far in football and I don't think Liam Kelly had the right mentality. He's not on his own in that respect either and I think that there are players you would look and think, they're not arsed, and they come across as wanting to look like footballers more than actually be one. That may be harsh but I always felt Liam fell into this category, along with a couple of others.

He's played 75 games and got 8 goals and 9 assists which isn't a bad output in a poor team really. But I don't for one minute think we'll miss him and you'd imagine that's a fair size wage saved.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Kelly Departs.. on 14:40 - Jun 23 with 2263 viewsEllDale

As you so rightly say, a marmite player.
I'll never forget the pass he played over the top for Newby to score against Sutton.
Or the goals against Liverpool under 21s and Barrow.
How many times did he lose possession and leave us in trouble though?
One other thought....was he part of the disaffected clique in the dressing that we heard the odd rumour about? The guys who didn't like training on Mondays for example?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024