Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First time fan experience 17:40 - Dec 26 with 10200 viewsSheffield_dale

So I'm a dale fan of 20+ years and decided to take my girlfriend to Spotland for the first time.

I decided to book a decent view mid Wilbutts lane so she could at least see.

Here is her feedback.

Firstly, Baum is the best pub she's been to.

Not the club's fault but I'd bigged up Wilbutts Lane chippy that was unfortunately closed.

Huge queue for pies before game meant we decided to get one at half time.

Zero tannoy match build up and she didn't even know players had entered.

She thought the players looked tired in first half and atmosphere was poor (it was).

Hendo scored, fantastic. Zero sound on tannoy to celebrate the goal.

Half time we decided to get a pie. There was no pies left and apparently they sold out around 20mins into the game. She was very disappointed as I bigged up the pies beforehand. This was after a 20 min queue so missed first bit of second half. Not that we would know as there was no tannoy announcement.

Was it just me or was there no substitute board as I tried to explain to her who went off and on. As there was no tannoy sound I was struggling myself.

She enjoyed the goal and the win second half but thought the atmosphere would have been better.

I asked her if she wanted to go again and if she would think others would go and she said no.

Purely because there was no food and no tannoy announcements that may have helped the build up and understand what was happening in the game. There was no leaflets or incentives for a half season ticket or info on season tickets next year that may have persuaded new fans to take up.

Overall I thought the players didn't necessarily put on a show to keep new fans coming back and the club did not prepare the logistics to satisfy all new fans, especially in the Wilbutts where you would see majority new fans..

A great win but for me, huge opportunities missed to keep new fans hooked in.

Great scheme. Must do better
[Post edited 26 Dec 2023 17:42]
First time fan experience on 17:54 - Dec 26 with 7340 views442Dale

As ever, fans should have been fully involved in the whole process as soon as the excellent idea was thought up.

The food on offer in the Ratcliffe was poor for example.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

First time fan experience on 18:10 - Dec 26 with 7185 viewsSheffield_dale

Not sure what the club could have done but she also reported young teenage lads in the female Wilbutts toilets taking pics under the toilet segregations. She's hard nosed so confronted them. However I'm guessing that new female fans may have massively been put off by this.
First time fan experience on 18:15 - Dec 26 with 7145 viewsSheffield_dale

...we bought 30 quid cash to spend on pies and drinks but because if the queue and lack of stock, I still hold £23.50 of that £30

Surely this was the whole point of the operation?
First time fan experience on 18:19 - Dec 26 with 7081 viewskel

All seemed a bit flat to me today although full credit to the board for the offer. Loads of new faces but I hope the vile, homophobic bloke in front of me won’t be back for a while. Thankfully he kept his promise to his mates about staying in the bar for the second half and the kids around him didn’t have to endure him any longer.

Nidgey wouldn’t have been happy with the gerrit forward bunch either.
First time fan experience on 18:39 - Dec 26 with 6946 viewsD_Alien

First time fan experience on 18:19 - Dec 26 by kel

All seemed a bit flat to me today although full credit to the board for the offer. Loads of new faces but I hope the vile, homophobic bloke in front of me won’t be back for a while. Thankfully he kept his promise to his mates about staying in the bar for the second half and the kids around him didn’t have to endure him any longer.

Nidgey wouldn’t have been happy with the gerrit forward bunch either.

It'll arrive a day too late for them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67823805

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

First time fan experience on 19:52 - Dec 26 with 6613 viewsDalenet

I said we all had a part to play to make new fans welcome. But it needed attractive football to get them back and nobody sat near me thought they'd be back. So disappointing.

No food available at half time didn't help and the turnstile stewards were awful. As I entered the mainstand a family with kids asked the steward if this was the Wilbutts. And he said Yes and told them to go through.....I quickly intervened. The steward hadn't a clue....he didn't even know where the Wilbutts stand was.

We desperately need a fan focussed employee at the club. Glad to see so many new faces....but not sure we have made a good impression. The place felt flat all game
First time fan experience on 20:02 - Dec 26 with 6574 viewskel

First time fan experience on 19:52 - Dec 26 by Dalenet

I said we all had a part to play to make new fans welcome. But it needed attractive football to get them back and nobody sat near me thought they'd be back. So disappointing.

No food available at half time didn't help and the turnstile stewards were awful. As I entered the mainstand a family with kids asked the steward if this was the Wilbutts. And he said Yes and told them to go through.....I quickly intervened. The steward hadn't a clue....he didn't even know where the Wilbutts stand was.

We desperately need a fan focussed employee at the club. Glad to see so many new faces....but not sure we have made a good impression. The place felt flat all game

The stewards were useless as usual today. Loads of people were struggling to find their seats so I ended up helping a good number of them as they weren’t used to the labelling of the blocks and rows and the stewards looked like they’d never seen a football ground before.

It also doesn’t help when you have a seemingly senior steward sneaking to the toilets to make personal phone calls while the game is going on. And before anyone claims it may have been a family emergency or similar, he was in no rush to go anywhere when he’d finished his call.
First time fan experience on 20:29 - Dec 26 with 6484 views442Dale

Presumably they can utilise the contact info from fans who took up the ticket initiative to do a thorough analysis of the whole day.

Whether that’s finding out why some fans didn’t attend or getting feedback on stewarding/food etc, it’s obvious that it would be part of the planning process of any effective organisation to improve in the future.

Look forward to hearing them sharing this info with the Trust and supporters.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

First time fan experience on 20:48 - Dec 26 with 6393 viewsEllDale

There were half a dozen blokes standing near me in the Sandy who’d obviously bought tickets out of curiosity.
As one of them said early on he couldn’t complain about paying the equivalent of a penny a minute!
As the first half went on they were getting a bit bored with the style of football.
We’re getting used to the style but one of them described it as ponderous and another as boring.
Ironically they went for a pint on 43 minutes and so missed the first goal.
They then left on 90 minutes to “beat the rush” and so missed the second.
Can’t see them coming back at full price on a Saturday afternoon unfortunately.
First time fan experience on 20:51 - Dec 26 with 6374 viewsDaleBars

Thank you for joining us today. Busy bars, fantastic. Hoping we have gained a few new supporters.

From all the bar staff have a happy new year.

Poll: Would you watch a live stream against Southend in Ratcliffe kick off 12:30

First time fan experience on 23:07 - Dec 26 with 6081 viewsShun

First time fan experience on 18:10 - Dec 26 by Sheffield_dale

Not sure what the club could have done but she also reported young teenage lads in the female Wilbutts toilets taking pics under the toilet segregations. She's hard nosed so confronted them. However I'm guessing that new female fans may have massively been put off by this.

This is very creepy behaviour and should be reported.

Re the OP, I agree with most of it but what noise did your girlfriend want over the tannoy when we scored?
First time fan experience on 23:15 - Dec 26 with 6056 viewsD_Alien

First time fan experience on 23:07 - Dec 26 by Shun

Re the OP, I agree with most of it but what noise did your girlfriend want over the tannoy when we scored?

"And that was a brilliant lob on by Hendoooooooooooooooooo...."

First time fan experience on 23:20 - Dec 26 with 6035 viewsSheffield_dale

First time fan experience on 23:07 - Dec 26 by Shun

Yeah I'll contact the club.

Regarding the tannoy, she is a Sheffield Wednesday fleeting fan and for some reason enjoys the build up and info the announcer makes to help her understand what's going on etc. She feels that adds to the atmosphere and for her it really affected her experience. Obviously I wasn't too bothered but today no doubt there was a lot of "my girlfriends" in attendance. Match day quality experience includes a good MC in my opinion.

Having never sat in the Wilbutts as a home fan I'm not sure if it's a problem just today or just in that stand.

Regarding the bar and food, delighted they were busy. However, so so so many people in the Wilbutts were disappointed they never got any hot food. Why not overstock and donate to a food bank. Literally the queue was 50 or 60 deep at half time all wanting a pie. All of them fuming when I had to announce myself there was no food.

Stewards were also vaping.

I don't want to sound negative, I just wanted my club to put on a show of quality and competence throughout and the feedback is we didn't reach that. We nearly did but with such easy fixes.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2023 23:22]
First time fan experience on 23:54 - Dec 26 with 5958 viewsSheffield_dale

First time fan experience on 23:20 - Dec 26 by Sheffield_dale

Regarding the tannoy, she is a Sheffield Wednesday fleeting fan and for some reason enjoys the build up and info the announcer makes to help her understand what's going on etc. She feels that adds to the atmosphere and for her it really affected her experience. Obviously I wasn't too bothered but today no doubt there was a lot of "my girlfriends" in attendance. Match day quality experience includes a good MC in my opinion.

Having never sat in the Wilbutts as a home fan I'm not sure if it's a problem just today or just in that stand.

Regarding the bar and food, delighted they were busy. However, so so so many people in the Wilbutts were disappointed they never got any hot food. Why not overstock and donate to a food bank. Literally the queue was 50 or 60 deep at half time all wanting a pie. All of them fuming when I had to announce myself there was no food.

I don't want to sound negative, I just wanted my club to put on a show of quality and competence throughout and the feedback is we didn't reach that. We nearly did but with such easy fixes.

For the record, she thinks Louie Moulden is "fantastic"

If she's right on that, her other opinions deserve a listen 😜
[Post edited 26 Dec 2023 23:55]
First time fan experience on 01:55 - Dec 27 with 5827 viewsMoyobamba

Hola chicos

First time writer.. Long time reader, and even longer time season ticket holder, until I moved to Peru years ago! Visiting home and went today with my gf (Peruvian), so thought to share her experience! Could be beneficial.

Positives:

- She enjoyed the game.. The two goals at the time they came were great.. (I'd already told her all about Hendo luckily)
- She thought Gilmour was the best player (I had to tell her who he was but she kept saying his number)
- Most fans were very kind
- Unique experience

Negatives:

- When the "youth" shouted at her, she felt scared and the stewards did nothing..
- Didn't feel safe going to the bathroom alone for this reason
- No Rochdale pies
- Too cold (we can't blame Dale for that one!)

Overall:

Had fun
Wished she felt safer alone
Wanted to try the food
Wouldn't come back for the usual price, but if a deal was offered for 2 games.. Yes! No leaflets given to us..

All in all.. A good day.. And as a Daley myself; Lots to be positive about!

UTD and happy holidays to all!!
First time fan experience on 08:11 - Dec 27 with 5592 viewsGdawg

First time in the willbuts too, sandy and main stand over the years. Plenty of turnstiles open so no big queues. Tannoy was none existent, sounded like a faint echo from another stand. Didn't hear half time drawn number, extra time, subs, no music, nothing pre match, it may have been there but not in the willbuts anyway. Gave up on food, queues way too big and no stock. Overall me and my dad spent £2 on tickets and that's it. Usually spend £15-£20 on bits but not today. View was great but that was it.
First time fan experience on 09:24 - Dec 27 with 5432 viewsDalenet

First time fan experience on 23:20 - Dec 26 by Sheffield_dale

On your last point. . . .don't worry. Feedback is a gift if acted on
First time fan experience on 12:07 - Dec 27 with 5154 viewsjonahwhereru

I wasn’t there but I have memories of my pre teenage Years and the excitement of that first game I attended. Sounds like plenty of things could have gone better on the day. But to a young impressionable kid the goals, celebrations and winning are the memories they will take away. They will be back, as soon as they can either twist a parents arm, or are able to go with their mates. So all is not lost. The board need to learn and give it a go again, perhaps the opening game of the season.
First time fan experience on 13:36 - Dec 27 with 5006 views49thseason

First time fan experience on 12:07 - Dec 27 by jonahwhereru

I wasn’t there but I have memories of my pre teenage Years and the excitement of that first game I attended. Sounds like plenty of things could have gone better on the day. But to a young impressionable kid the goals, celebrations and winning are the memories they will take away. They will be back, as soon as they can either twist a parents arm, or are able to go with their mates. So all is not lost. The board need to learn and give it a go again, perhaps the opening game of the season.

Good post, maybe the follow up should be a combined parent/ child ( U11) ticket for £5 or £6 in a specific section of the Pearl Street End. We might also have to conside a parent/ 2 children ticket too.... Test /refine, test again/ refine some more. Never underestimate "pester power".
There are the better part of 16/17000 kids in Rochdale Primary schools and 1000s of those play regularly for local junior clubs. In a conversation yesterday afternoon, I was told Milnrow Juniors have multiple teams at each age level... literally 100s of kids at one club and its not an unusual number for junior clubs. One wonders what Dale does to reach out to all these clubs and help them? How many youngsters are slipping through the net and trialling at other clubs. Does anyone know if the Community Trust gets involved with these junior clubs or is it aimed at schools that can pay for their input?
First time fan experience on 13:41 - Dec 27 with 5000 viewsD_Alien

First time fan experience on 13:36 - Dec 27 by 49thseason

Good post, maybe the follow up should be a combined parent/ child ( U11) ticket for £5 or £6 in a specific section of the Pearl Street End. We might also have to conside a parent/ 2 children ticket too.... Test /refine, test again/ refine some more. Never underestimate "pester power".
There are the better part of 16/17000 kids in Rochdale Primary schools and 1000s of those play regularly for local junior clubs. In a conversation yesterday afternoon, I was told Milnrow Juniors have multiple teams at each age level... literally 100s of kids at one club and its not an unusual number for junior clubs. One wonders what Dale does to reach out to all these clubs and help them? How many youngsters are slipping through the net and trialling at other clubs. Does anyone know if the Community Trust gets involved with these junior clubs or is it aimed at schools that can pay for their input?

Haven't checked through all the sections, but might be something on here

https://www.rochdaleafccommunity.org/

First time fan experience on 21:30 - Dec 27 with 4495 viewsShun

First time fan experience on 01:55 - Dec 27 by Moyobamba

Hola chicos

First time writer.. Long time reader, and even longer time season ticket holder, until I moved to Peru years ago! Visiting home and went today with my gf (Peruvian), so thought to share her experience! Could be beneficial.

Positives:

- She enjoyed the game.. The two goals at the time they came were great.. (I'd already told her all about Hendo luckily)
- She thought Gilmour was the best player (I had to tell her who he was but she kept saying his number)
- Most fans were very kind
- Unique experience

Negatives:

- When the "youth" shouted at her, she felt scared and the stewards did nothing..
- Didn't feel safe going to the bathroom alone for this reason
- No Rochdale pies
- Too cold (we can't blame Dale for that one!)

Overall:

Had fun
Wished she felt safer alone
Wanted to try the food
Wouldn't come back for the usual price, but if a deal was offered for 2 games.. Yes! No leaflets given to us..

All in all.. A good day.. And as a Daley myself; Lots to be positive about!

UTD and happy holidays to all!!

Thanks to you and the OP for sharing experiences. Now, it might just be me but I am deeply concerned that we’ve had two young women, both at Spotland for the first time, who’ve both been made to feel uncomfortable by the local youth. That’s a colossal amount of potential fans in the borough that we’re alienating because a number of local scrotes have creamed themselves after coming in contact with a girl.

I know I’ve long banged the drum about sexism in the terraces, sometimes to the chagrin of some on here, but I really believe something needs to be done. I would be keen to hear the thoughts of the Her Game Too representatives.
First time fan experience on 05:11 - Dec 28 with 4277 viewsDaleiLama

First time fan experience on 21:30 - Dec 27 by Shun

Thanks to you and the OP for sharing experiences. Now, it might just be me but I am deeply concerned that we’ve had two young women, both at Spotland for the first time, who’ve both been made to feel uncomfortable by the local youth. That’s a colossal amount of potential fans in the borough that we’re alienating because a number of local scrotes have creamed themselves after coming in contact with a girl.

I know I’ve long banged the drum about sexism in the terraces, sometimes to the chagrin of some on here, but I really believe something needs to be done. I would be keen to hear the thoughts of the Her Game Too representatives.

I have to say stewarding is fecking pathetic wherever you go. At Halifax, we sat at the end of a row close to half way line about 8 rows up. Our scrotes then swarmed to the front, 'taunting' away fans and singing about invading the pitch and blocked everyone's view. They started winding up a fella with his two young lads and his dad who couldn't see and he swung for one of them and a scuffle broke out. I absolutely bollocked the stewards and told them to clear the tw@ts out of the way as we couldn't see either and them standing on hatched yellow paint was a fire hazard. My g/f was worried for my safety and if I wasn't a dyed in the wool Daley she would probably not bother again, especiallyfor away days and we'll probably give Fylde away a miss.

The scrotes ended up standing on seats cos half em were barely teenagers, but still managed to vape all game. We ended up moving seats, as did the fam of 4 and plenty of others. The stewards sole involvement was to break up fights - otherwise anything goes.

Xmas pudding ale was a welcome pre-match bevvy yesterday but in terms of entertainment, if my f-i-l wasn't a die-hard footy fan he said he wouldn't rush back to watch a game pretty low on action and incidents. He's been half a dozen times and I'll keep dragging him back when Utd aren't on and he's staying over with us.

On the display board front, to clear any mystery up, the last time I saw it working was to show 1 min added time at the end of the first half. Beechy made 2 subs in 2nd half and had to shout to his departing players by name for them to come off. It still wasn't working by the end so the added time couldn't be announced over the tannoy as it wasn't communicated from 4th official. This is the second time this has happened in Vanarama league this year at Spotland.

Going back to stewarding and Shun, Sheff and DA's posts, my g/f is no shrinking violet but she was scared at Halifax. Frankly, if football can't be made into a safe space for women, they will give up in droves. Which is just sad and undermines everything Her game too is trying to achieve. Halifax was utterly tinpot. 8 stewards and 2 coppers who spent most of the game chatting to scrotes. No tickets on sale at all and turnstiles open at 2. Pissing up a wall in the gents. The only enjoyable part of the day was the match itself. Pity we couldn't have had a game and atmosphere like that yesterday.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 5:16]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

First time fan experience on 08:27 - Dec 28 with 4168 viewsrod_leach

First time fan experience on 05:11 - Dec 28 by DaleiLama

I have to say stewarding is fecking pathetic wherever you go. At Halifax, we sat at the end of a row close to half way line about 8 rows up. Our scrotes then swarmed to the front, 'taunting' away fans and singing about invading the pitch and blocked everyone's view. They started winding up a fella with his two young lads and his dad who couldn't see and he swung for one of them and a scuffle broke out. I absolutely bollocked the stewards and told them to clear the tw@ts out of the way as we couldn't see either and them standing on hatched yellow paint was a fire hazard. My g/f was worried for my safety and if I wasn't a dyed in the wool Daley she would probably not bother again, especiallyfor away days and we'll probably give Fylde away a miss.

The scrotes ended up standing on seats cos half em were barely teenagers, but still managed to vape all game. We ended up moving seats, as did the fam of 4 and plenty of others. The stewards sole involvement was to break up fights - otherwise anything goes.

Xmas pudding ale was a welcome pre-match bevvy yesterday but in terms of entertainment, if my f-i-l wasn't a die-hard footy fan he said he wouldn't rush back to watch a game pretty low on action and incidents. He's been half a dozen times and I'll keep dragging him back when Utd aren't on and he's staying over with us.

On the display board front, to clear any mystery up, the last time I saw it working was to show 1 min added time at the end of the first half. Beechy made 2 subs in 2nd half and had to shout to his departing players by name for them to come off. It still wasn't working by the end so the added time couldn't be announced over the tannoy as it wasn't communicated from 4th official. This is the second time this has happened in Vanarama league this year at Spotland.

Going back to stewarding and Shun, Sheff and DA's posts, my g/f is no shrinking violet but she was scared at Halifax. Frankly, if football can't be made into a safe space for women, they will give up in droves. Which is just sad and undermines everything Her game too is trying to achieve. Halifax was utterly tinpot. 8 stewards and 2 coppers who spent most of the game chatting to scrotes. No tickets on sale at all and turnstiles open at 2. Pissing up a wall in the gents. The only enjoyable part of the day was the match itself. Pity we couldn't have had a game and atmosphere like that yesterday.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 5:16]

Spot on with this. I don't do many away games, and if they are all like Halifax, I'll not bother with many more. I can't stand for 90 mins so had to move as everyone was standing, with the stewards making no attempt to get people to sit down. Ended up near the idiots at the front who were constantly standing on the seats, blocking the view, ignoring the stewards and police, vaping away. All it would have taken was to drag the few ringleaders out and the rest would have fallen into line. If these 'fans' are our future, it's a no from me thanks.
First time fan experience on 11:28 - Dec 28 with 3953 viewsCharCromHGT

Hi how are you? I’m Charlotte the clubs HerGameToo ambassador, I have just been made aware of this through a fellow Dale fan as I don’t use the message boards but wanted to make an account and reach out. I have contacted the club this morning and they have asked if you can contact the club directly on office@rochdaleafc.co.uk so they can log the incident and investigate further.

Thank you so much and sorry about the bad experience.
First time fan experience on 13:37 - Dec 28 with 3727 viewsdale_upon_tyne

Dale fan for 25 yrs… I’ve got two young boys and our 3rd home game this year. First win they’ve seen.

Managed to twist the wife’s arm as a first time visitor - sat in Pearl St. Block U - lots of new faces and kids sat around us. Without any input from me after the game I asked for the wife’s feedback on how she found the experience - which I thought I would share:

- She was confused as to why the Pearl St family stand is so close to the away fans in Wilbutts. The away fans naturally direct their banter to that stand “Rochdale’s a sh*t hole”. “Your support is f***ing sh*t”… flicking the V’s after the game etc. I assured her it’s all normal football ground banter but for that reason alone my wife said (if for example she was a single parent) there is no way she would bring the boys again by herself. She felt the atmosphere being so close to away fans is intimidating. Honestly the Fylde fans were just a small pathetic bunch - but that is her view on it, as a mother/non-football fan. My view is the away fans should be housed at the Sandy Lane end of the stand.

- Lack of singing in the home ends. As a regular over the years in the Sandy, Pearl St and Main stand, for me the noise made in the Sandy does not carry out into the rest of the ground. Seems to be an acoustic problem that only affects the Sandy. On Boxing Day you couldn’t hear the Sandy at all in Pearl St. My wife thought for a new visitor with kids, to want to come back, the kids need to feel part of something. she made the point that they might like City or United - without our singing fans being housed in a stand where the rest of the ground (and in particular the kids new to the club) can hear them - there is no sense of belonging. You just listen to the away fans for 90 mins.

Otherwise she enjoyed the goals and was glad we won. Most of the “next generation” or potential Dale fans will be kids with parents in the Pearl St taking advantage of family ticket prices - so it is the experience at that end of the ground that will determine whether any come back.

I’d prepared her for kiosk shortages. but other people (audibly) were disappointed that they left their seats as the HT whistle blew, queued up 10 minutes to find all hot food was long, long gone. I’d like to say I was surprised- but I wasn’t.

Good initiative by the club I thought and I enjoyed seeing the stands a bit fuller than normal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024