Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook retires from test cricket 12:48 - Sep 3 with 3694 viewsD_Alien

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45388727

Not surprised by this, and think he's made the right decision

He's had a fantastic career, one of the very best we've had but in recent times his average has dropped from 50+ to below 45, which is a shame because overall he's better than that

Wish him luck for the future, i think he's got farming interests

[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 12:49]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Cook retires from test cricket on 12:58 - Sep 3 with 3662 viewsmoth5368

A genuine England great and apparently a nice fellow to boot.

Agree it was the right decision but it leaves England needing to find two openers and a number 3!
Cook retires from test cricket on 12:51 - Sep 10 with 3387 viewsD_Alien

Going out in a blaze of glory

Perfect conditions i suppose - old ball, India tiring and series won, but still great to see

Wish i was there!

Cook retires from test cricket on 15:49 - Sep 10 with 3314 viewsmingthemerciless

Yeah he's been one of the best. Nothing is forever in sport though. He'll be badly missed against the Aussies.
Cook retires from test cricket on 16:44 - Sep 10 with 3268 viewsaleanddale

wow - starts and ends his test career with a century.

140+ this afternoon.

he needed 50+ in this his final test innings to secure a 45+ average in test cricket and did that comfortably.

a great player who will be very difficult to replace.
Cook retires from test cricket on 17:16 - Sep 10 with 3252 viewsEllDale

So consistent over a long period of time.

But so is Jimmy Anderson - India are 8-3!
Cook retires from test cricket on 18:06 - Sep 10 with 3226 viewsColDale

Is the man of the series one from each team or one overall? Could have the possibility of Kohli being man of the series after a 4-1 thumping and a golden duck in his last innings
Cook retires from test cricket on 18:41 - Sep 10 with 3204 viewskiwidale

Cook retires from test cricket on 16:44 - Sep 10 by aleanddale

wow - starts and ends his test career with a century.

140+ this afternoon.

he needed 50+ in this his final test innings to secure a 45+ average in test cricket and did that comfortably.

a great player who will be very difficult to replace.

I'm with D_A on this he was better than his average of 45 much better. Statistics are a fascination for any cricket aficionado, if you was to use runs per test or time at the crease it would paint a different story. One final statistic in his last test match Cook has batted for 6 minutes short of 11 hours or 654 minutes. In my opinion Cook should have taken a sabbatical instead of retiring, taken a season off enjoy family play county cricket and come back refreshed, 33 is to young to retire. Same could be said of Bell.

This is not the time for bickering.

Cook retires from test cricket on 20:06 - Sep 10 with 3140 viewsisitme

Cook is the highest scoring opener in test cricket and has scored more second innings centuries than any other player. It has often been said that players from the Asian sub continent get their average inflated by about five due to the flat pitches they play on.
Login to get fewer ads

Cook retires from test cricket on 09:11 - Sep 11 with 2999 viewsNigeriamark

Cook retires from test cricket on 18:41 - Sep 10 by kiwidale

I'm with D_A on this he was better than his average of 45 much better. Statistics are a fascination for any cricket aficionado, if you was to use runs per test or time at the crease it would paint a different story. One final statistic in his last test match Cook has batted for 6 minutes short of 11 hours or 654 minutes. In my opinion Cook should have taken a sabbatical instead of retiring, taken a season off enjoy family play county cricket and come back refreshed, 33 is to young to retire. Same could be said of Bell.

I am with you on the Sabbatical thought. He has played 160 consecutive test matches, another record. If he had skipped the Sri Lanka & West Indies tours, had a good break with the family and started the county season getting some runs with Essex, he may have been refreshed for the ashes next year.

However it sounded that he is still committed to his family farm so perhaps getting back to that is the main driver. Pity because it's not as if we have any capable opening batsman yet never mind 2

Good luck to him. Yesterday was an amazing finale so perhaps now best not to come back
Cook retires from test cricket on 13:01 - Sep 11 with 2946 viewskrafty80

As an exiled Daley based in the London area I'm going to be really smug and admit I was there yesterday. Fantastic occasion and atmosphere, rarely seen such utter goodwill towards a sportsman based largely on him just being a really good bloke.

Where are our openers coming from though? I know a few on here follow Lancs, what's the problem with Hameed, and can he come back and contend for an England place?
Cook retires from test cricket on 13:16 - Sep 11 with 2918 viewsBarryStrange

Cook retires from test cricket on 13:01 - Sep 11 by krafty80

As an exiled Daley based in the London area I'm going to be really smug and admit I was there yesterday. Fantastic occasion and atmosphere, rarely seen such utter goodwill towards a sportsman based largely on him just being a really good bloke.

Where are our openers coming from though? I know a few on here follow Lancs, what's the problem with Hameed, and can he come back and contend for an England place?

So was I. It was incredible to see so much affection everywhere across the Oval for a great sportsman bowing out with one last hurrah.

Kohli going first ball just felt greedy really.
Cook retires from test cricket on 13:23 - Sep 11 with 2909 viewsD_Alien

Cook retires from test cricket on 09:11 - Sep 11 by Nigeriamark

I am with you on the Sabbatical thought. He has played 160 consecutive test matches, another record. If he had skipped the Sri Lanka & West Indies tours, had a good break with the family and started the county season getting some runs with Essex, he may have been refreshed for the ashes next year.

However it sounded that he is still committed to his family farm so perhaps getting back to that is the main driver. Pity because it's not as if we have any capable opening batsman yet never mind 2

Good luck to him. Yesterday was an amazing finale so perhaps now best not to come back

You can never say never, but i agree it'd be a huge mistake to make a comeback after yesterday's overwhelming events, unless the selectors pressed him into action in an emergency (e.g. Cowdrey down under against Lillee/Thompson, Close against WI's Holding and Roberts)

If he'd gone down the sabbatical route, he'd have been hanging over the new openers like a Sword of Damocles (hi, Shun) and whilst healthy competition is great there's a difference between that and the kind of pressure that had commentators banging on about KP for a couple of years after he'd left the scene - different circumstances admittedly

Time for newcomers to stake their claim and become the next Cook

[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 13:26]

Cook retires from test cricket on 13:33 - Sep 11 with 2882 viewsEllDale

I wonder how many of the crop of young pretenders to Cook's place can actually bat through four sessions of play in a test match?
None of them seem to have the concentration or application to build a really long innings.
On a separate issue, a couple of older blokes at work, (in their early 60's like me) who only have access to terrestrial television, were bemoaning the fact that they couldn't watch it on tv.
I know SKY come up with the dosh but do test matches get the same amount of exposure these days that they used to have?
Cook retires from test cricket on 17:45 - Sep 11 with 2811 viewsD_Alien

Entertaining final day of the series

Jimmy bowled himself into the ground to get that last wicket to take McGrath's record

Cook retires from test cricket on 12:24 - Sep 12 with 2709 viewsmingthemerciless

Cook retires from test cricket on 13:33 - Sep 11 by EllDale

I wonder how many of the crop of young pretenders to Cook's place can actually bat through four sessions of play in a test match?
None of them seem to have the concentration or application to build a really long innings.
On a separate issue, a couple of older blokes at work, (in their early 60's like me) who only have access to terrestrial television, were bemoaning the fact that they couldn't watch it on tv.
I know SKY come up with the dosh but do test matches get the same amount of exposure these days that they used to have?

The whole country went cricket mad during the 2005 Ashes test series. Everywhere you went people were talking about cricket. Then the powers that be sold the whole show to sky. Who talks about test cricket now apart from the few fans that are left ? I couldn't tell you the last time I watched test cricket on TV live. I can't be bothered with the highlights when I already know what has happened.

Talk about selling your soul to the devil !
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 12:25]
Cook retires from test cricket on 13:32 - Sep 12 with 2685 viewsColDale

When terrestial had test cricket, it would be interrupted by Glorious Goodwood and overseas tests would be restricted to highlights only. Was there ever an Ashes series down under shown live on TV before Sky got involved? Sky produce fantastic coverage (as demonstrated by BT's in the Winter).

It's not exactly stopped football's popularity given Football stopped having the Big Match Live when it sold its soul to Sky.
Cook retires from test cricket on 14:00 - Sep 12 with 2666 viewsisitme

Test matches also had to start earlier due to Hollyoaks! There is no appetite from terrestrial TV channels for the broadcast of test match cricket. It takes too long and it is too expensive to broadcast. Sky have invested million in innovation and in the women's game. All their international games were broadcast live and the money they have ploughed in has significantly increased their incomes.
Cook retires from test cricket on 14:29 - Sep 12 with 2653 viewsD_Alien

Cook retires from test cricket on 14:00 - Sep 12 by isitme

Test matches also had to start earlier due to Hollyoaks! There is no appetite from terrestrial TV channels for the broadcast of test match cricket. It takes too long and it is too expensive to broadcast. Sky have invested million in innovation and in the women's game. All their international games were broadcast live and the money they have ploughed in has significantly increased their incomes.

Another factor is weather, especially in the UK

If it rains all day, the pundits, camera crews, technicians etc. will all be paid for just sitting around on expenses which no terrestrial broadcaster can afford these days, plus the extra work involved for people back at base who'd have to plan what to show instead of a wet wicket

The number of people watching test cricket live doesn't seem to have reduced (crowds are up, if anything) and the argument about 'attracting the next generation' doesn't wash either - test match grounds probably have a higher percentage of kids watching than ever before, although that's just a perception from camera shots and the occasional day at a test. More women seem to be watching live too (always a pleasure when attending a test!)

The only people losing out are those who have the time but are unable to afford either the tv subscription or watching live, which is unfortunate but that applies to so many other public events that making an example of test cricket is neither here nor there

On the subject of highlights, i really enjoy C5's coverage *

If you're a fan of the game, just knowing the result shouldn't stop you watching Cook getting his ton or Jimmy ripping out the middle stump for his record

*Edit: a counter argument to my first point would be they'd have people sat around all day... bloody hell, i'm arguing with myself now!

#unhinged
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 14:35]

Cook retires from test cricket on 15:26 - Sep 12 with 2608 viewsTVOS1907

Cook retires from test cricket on 14:29 - Sep 12 by D_Alien

If it rains all day, the pundits, camera crews, technicians etc. will all be paid for just sitting around on expenses which no terrestrial broadcaster can afford these days, plus the extra work involved for people back at base who'd have to plan what to show instead of a wet wicket

The number of people watching test cricket live doesn't seem to have reduced (crowds are up, if anything) and the argument about 'attracting the next generation' doesn't wash either - test match grounds probably have a higher percentage of kids watching than ever before, although that's just a perception from camera shots and the occasional day at a test. More women seem to be watching live too (always a pleasure when attending a test!)

The only people losing out are those who have the time but are unable to afford either the tv subscription or watching live, which is unfortunate but that applies to so many other public events that making an example of test cricket is neither here nor there

If you're a fan of the game, just knowing the result shouldn't stop you watching Cook getting his ton or Jimmy ripping out the middle stump for his record

*Edit: a counter argument to my first point would be they'd have people sat around all day... bloody hell, i'm arguing with myself now!

#unhinged

Absolutely.

I would also say that if cricket hadn't "sold its soul" to Sky, there might not be cricket, as it exists at the present.

And where do people think a proportion of the money comes from to pay players such as Anderson and Cook?

Of course it's a shame that there isn't live cricket on terrestrial television, but it seems neither of them need each other to survive.

Whether that has a damaging long-term effect we don't yet know, but it's never going to go back to how it was (Peter West, Tony Lewis, Richie Benaud, etc).

Most working people will miss a day's play on Sky, so the Channel 5 highlights are a bit of a Godsend, as they are short enough to see the important aspects of play and they don't feature Bob Willis!

If you want to watch them without knowing the scores, then try to avoid the scores! It's difficult to do so in this day and age, but not impossible. I often do it when there's a midweek Match of the Day and usually succeed (until someone posts things on here!).

As Col says, Sky's coverage is fantastic and a series like this just witnessed versus India makes the subscription worth every penny.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Cook retires from test cricket on 15:31 - Sep 12 with 2605 viewsTVOS1907

Cook retires from test cricket on 12:24 - Sep 12 by mingthemerciless

The whole country went cricket mad during the 2005 Ashes test series. Everywhere you went people were talking about cricket. Then the powers that be sold the whole show to sky. Who talks about test cricket now apart from the few fans that are left ? I couldn't tell you the last time I watched test cricket on TV live. I can't be bothered with the highlights when I already know what has happened.

Talk about selling your soul to the devil !
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 12:25]

... a bit like rugby league then?

"Who talks about test cricket now apart from the few fans that are left?"

Quite a lot of people, in my experience, including a number who don't subscribe to Sky. What evidence have you got to the contrary? What do you mean by a 'few'? Was the near-40,000 at The Oval over the last two days 'a few'?

In addition, the BBC text commentary is excellent and wickets and major incidents are shown on there throughout the day, so you can watch things shortly after they have happened.

TMS is also still a grand old institution.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Cook retires from test cricket on 16:03 - Sep 12 with 2587 viewsisitme

The BBC live text coverage also shows every wicket and other major incidents such as 50/100s, dropped chances etc often no more than ten minutes behind live play.

The new city based 20/20 or hundred ball competition whatever it ends up will be a real test of terrestrial TV. Will the games be on prime time on BBC1/ITV1 or buried away on the red button or ITV6+3?

As others have said some people do miss out due to cost, but that is the same with everything. Most years you can buy an early bird adult test match ticket at Headingly for £20. Which is excellent value for money. Although the Ashes tickets are £80! I would say how much is a concert nowadays?
Cook retires from test cricket on 17:00 - Sep 12 with 2549 viewsNigeriamark

Cook retires from test cricket on 15:31 - Sep 12 by TVOS1907

... a bit like rugby league then?

"Who talks about test cricket now apart from the few fans that are left?"

Quite a lot of people, in my experience, including a number who don't subscribe to Sky. What evidence have you got to the contrary? What do you mean by a 'few'? Was the near-40,000 at The Oval over the last two days 'a few'?

In addition, the BBC text commentary is excellent and wickets and major incidents are shown on there throughout the day, so you can watch things shortly after they have happened.

TMS is also still a grand old institution.

TMS is superb and as I have my own office I have it on in the background the whole day. Great commentary and banter for free. Now listening to the roses game at home.
Cook retires from test cricket on 00:40 - Sep 13 with 2452 viewskiwidale

Cook retires from test cricket on 14:29 - Sep 12 by D_Alien

#unhinged

bloody hell, i'm arguing with myself now!

TBF It was only a matter of time.

This is not the time for bickering.

Cook retires from test cricket on 00:50 - Sep 13 with 2446 viewsJimmyRustler

I must admit that I don't know how county cricket carries on - there hardly seems to be anyone watching when they pan around the grounds
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024