Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? 09:11 - Sep 8 with 4728 viewsrochdaleest1907

Was he really that crap?

daveofthedale

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 09:33 - Sep 8 with 4689 viewsColDale

Buckley's tenure was summed up before he walked through the door. Out of work for almost a year, and when given a new job, he goes on a three week holiday.
Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 10:48 - Sep 8 with 4604 viewsboffley

Yes.
Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 11:39 - Sep 8 with 4526 viewsfitzochris

Michael Simpkins.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 13:28 - Sep 8 with 4440 viewsboromat

From memory he also put in a style of play that was to pass the ball around nicely but do nothing useful with it.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 13:30 - Sep 8 with 4429 views442Dale

Taking into account his experience, Buckley is possibly the worst manager we've had.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 15:15 - Sep 8 with 4347 viewsTomRAFC

The team barely scored and was woefully unfit. How he has kept getting rehired at grimsby over the years is beyond me.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 16:07 - Sep 8 with 4294 viewsClivert

Col has got it spot on.

Tbf to Buckley he still managed two wins at Gigg Lane in his short spell with us.
Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 16:46 - Sep 8 with 4237 viewselectricblue

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 09:33 - Sep 8 by ColDale

Buckley's tenure was summed up before he walked through the door. Out of work for almost a year, and when given a new job, he goes on a three week holiday.

Yep he didnt do himself any favours of going on holiday for 3 weeks at a very important time..
Sums him up nicely with that attitude.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 17:20 - Sep 8 with 4194 viewsChaffRAFC

The holiday thing was scandalous really. That straight away said his heart wasn't in it. He then made some very poor signings. Michael Simpkins was especially woeful and might actually be the worst player I've ever seen put on a Dale shirt. Sean McClare was signed as was as soft a central midfielder as you could ever see and all he ever did was pass the ball sideways. Craig Strachan played half an hour and then retired. Daryl Burgess was experienced but had the pace of a Lada with 4 punctures. The only signing that worked really was Leo Bertos who was excellent for us. He did also bring back Gary Jones on loan from Barnsley but his tactics were awful in which we passed the ball around like a training session but only ever went sideways and struggled to score goals. It didn't help that Paul Connor was off form, as was Lee McEvilly and we were relying on Kevin Townson and Leo Bertos to score the goals.

The one good memory I have of that season was beating Torquay 3-1 down in Devon.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 17:42 - Sep 8 with 4156 viewsBartRowou

I remember at Orient he came and sat with the fans during the warm up which was a little odd. Nice bloke but he would've taken us down that year. His teams lacked passion and heart (Bury played like a Bucklery team yesterday).

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 19:00 - Sep 8 with 4087 viewsSalwaDale

We've had worse.

TBBT

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 19:03 - Sep 8 with 4080 viewsNinco

In my opinion, Barrow was much worse than Buckley but he got a good few years employment out of us.
Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 09:08 - Sep 9 with 3952 viewsR17ALE

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 19:03 - Sep 8 by Ninco

In my opinion, Barrow was much worse than Buckley but he got a good few years employment out of us.

Barrow was the worst ever until being usurped by Coleman imho.

However, we had to suffer for 3 years under Barrow watching some unbelieveably bad players pick up wages for not even trying.

Bizarrely Barrow did actually have one or two supporters who banged his drum when required. Coleman had no-one sticking up for him.

Neither did Buckley who was quite happy for it to be known that he was doing us a favour managing us, rarely bothering to drive to training (Heywood based Tony Ford took the training) from his Grimsby home. Buckley was taking us down and then Parkin turned up again and signed Holt (and a few months later Lambert). Moreover, he installed Keith Hill as Youth Officer, having released him as a player (who the awful Barrow had signed).

It's funny how things panned out when you look back!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 10:36 - Sep 9 with 3886 viewsdingdangblue

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 09:08 - Sep 9 by R17ALE

However, we had to suffer for 3 years under Barrow watching some unbelieveably bad players pick up wages for not even trying.

Bizarrely Barrow did actually have one or two supporters who banged his drum when required. Coleman had no-one sticking up for him.

Neither did Buckley who was quite happy for it to be known that he was doing us a favour managing us, rarely bothering to drive to training (Heywood based Tony Ford took the training) from his Grimsby home. Buckley was taking us down and then Parkin turned up again and signed Holt (and a few months later Lambert). Moreover, he installed Keith Hill as Youth Officer, having released him as a player (who the awful Barrow had signed).

Yes you could say, for all of Barrows faults he arguebly made Rochdale's greatest signing ever when he brought Keith Hill to the club in 96.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 08:35 - Sep 10 with 3731 viewssweetcorn

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 09:08 - Sep 9 by R17ALE

Think you remember the Coleman thing a little differently to how it actually went.

I didn't think Coleman deserved sacking and should have gotten until the end of the season and I know for a fact that I wasn't the only person on this board with that thinking.

The fact it was Hilly who replaced JC made everyone forget him instantly.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 10:39 - Sep 10 with 3686 viewsdingdangblue

But for Keith Hill being available we probably would have risked seeing the season out under Coleman.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 11:23 - Sep 10 with 3663 viewsaleanddale

Coleman - Horrible man - Horrible team. Horrible ethos on everything not just on the pitch.

What a crappy time we had during Hillys sabatical.

Thank god Hilly is back. The club was being run into the ground. The change and Colemans sacking was the right time the second we knew of Hills interest. IMHO.
Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 13:08 - Sep 10 with 3613 viewsAtThePeake

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 08:35 - Sep 10 by sweetcorn

Think you remember the Coleman thing a little differently to how it actually went.

I didn't think Coleman deserved sacking and should have gotten until the end of the season and I know for a fact that I wasn't the only person on this board with that thinking.

The fact it was Hilly who replaced JC made everyone forget him instantly.

As was I, but again I missed large parts of the season because of Uni.

Tangled up in blue.

Why was Alan Buckley's tenure so poor? on 17:28 - Sep 10 with 3531 viewsDaleView

I have the definitive answer to this question.
It was after a home game (lost to York City I think) and as I was leaving Spotland I happened to overhear a conversation that Mr Buckley was having with one of the Directors in the car park I didn't catch it all but what I did catch really summed it up for me.
Director: "What can you do about this (performance)?"
Buckley: "I don't know. What can I do?"
That's all I heard.
No surprise then that he was shown the door.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024